Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation For Shōgun

• Start Topic

A couple of years ago, there was a cable channel that specialized in showing 'old' series.  We watched Shogun on it and it was as great as both of us remembered.

We'll give it a chance, but wonder why not replay the original.

• Love 4
On 11/6/2018 at 3:58 PM, enoughcats said:

We watched Shogun on it and it was as great as both of us remembered.

I don't remember the Channel but, I did see Shogun on TV not too long ago (couple years back) and it held up really well.

This season Westworld did a Samurai World storyline and it reminded me a bit of Shogun. I'd love to see those actors in the roles of Mariko and Toranaga.

2 hours ago, buttersister said:

Loved the novel

I want to say I read the novel but, I can't be certain. I think I did because I was in a reading kick as a kid and, would read the novels of mini-series I loved (The Far Pavilions being the other one).

• Love 2

The picture here of the cover of  the 1975 book of Shogun might help you remember...that and it weighed 1.3 pounds.

It was both exotic and vividly visual.  It was almost a surprise that Richard Chamberlain was so handsome in the TV show; somehow I had him more average in my mind.

Amazon does have some copies of the original show on DVDs.

• Love 1

IMDB has little information on the new Shogun.  Is it even in production yet?

I loved the original and the book.

This season Westworld did a Samurai World storyline and it reminded me a bit of Shogun. I'd love to see those actors in the roles of Mariko and Toranaga.

YES!  Masayoshi Haneda.  Love him!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

An article I read said the reason to re-do this was because the 1980 mini-series focused too much on Blackthorne's point of view - the white male, which was stressed as a bad thing -- and they want to tilt it away from him toward the Japanese characters. I beg to differ on the focus. Of course he's central to the story -- his influence on those around him, on their politics, and his personal transformation are key elements. But the mini-series spent plenty of time on the Japanese characters. It was never going to get as in-depth as the book, but they even used Japanese language without subtitles (conceding to some voice-over narration by Orson Welles) in 1980. I thought the criticism unfair. It's a wonderful series. Period. One of the first DVDs I ever bought.

That said, I'm certainly interested in this, just to see the story told again.

P.S. I just hope they aren't going to try to make Blackthorne some kind of villain because he's the white, male ... plunderer, yes, but so out of his element, he doesn't have the power to be a villain.

Edited by justmehere
  • Love 2
On 11/16/2018 at 10:36 AM, benteen said:

I'm wondering what more they can possibly do with a new Shogun series.  It was a pretty long and extensive mini-series as it is.

Sex it up?  That's the default now, isn't it? 

I recently watched the original vetsion for the first time in decades.  I would have preferred subtitles when Japanese was being spoken. There were some side stories that could have been included, such as the tension between the Jesuits and the poorer priests.  But overall it was excellent and very faithful to the book.  I can only hope the new version will be the same.

• Love 1
On 11/9/2018 at 10:03 AM, justmehere said:

the 1980 mini-series focused too much on Blackthorne's point of view... they even used Japanese language without subtitles

For me, that's what made the series good -- we were like Blackthorne, trying to figure out what was being said.

• Love 2

Wow this thread started in 2018?

They've been advertising it to death so hope it lives up to the hype.

Loved the book but I have very little recollection of the mini series, though I know Mifune was a big deal in Japanese cinema.

• Like 1

I thought I commented on this. I remember the show, when I was around six years old. I just barely remember it. So it's finally starting in a couple of weeks? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Anela said:

I thought I commented on this. I remember the show, when I was around six years old. I just barely remember it. So it's finally starting in a couple of weeks? 

Shōgun   first two episodes on February 27, 2024         Hulu/FX at 10pm