Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Level Two

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

RULES ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN — Oliver (Stephen Amell) makes a drastic move in his quest to find Diaz (Kirk Acevedo). Like her husband, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) pulls out all the stops to get to Diaz. Meanwhile, when arsonists target Rene’s (Rick Gonzalez) community center, injuring Zoe (guest star Eliza Faria) in the process, the mysterious new Green Arrow swoops in to help save the day. Faced with pressure from the mayor to capture the vigilante, Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) must decide if following the rules at all costs is the best plan to keep the city safe. Ben Bray directed the episode written by Emilio Ortega Aldrich & Tonya Kong (#704). Original airdate 11/5/2018.

I know that it's only episode 4 of the season, but DAMN, they are really doubling down on trying to present the most depressing future possible.  Makes it really hard to give a damn about the present.   

• Love 18

First of all, nope, don't believe Felicity's dead in the future. It's going to turn out that she's leading William to find her (and knew Roy was needed for an unnecessary flip along the way), and they're going to run into Oliver doing the same thing. (And if she's dead, I'm sorry, but Oliver has to be dead, too. Sorry, but I just refuse to accept anything other than both alive or both dead.) 

In theory, I don't mind Zoe being the future BC but seriously, no more BCs. 

Too much Dinah in this episode. 

I get they're setting up the new GA and right now, that's connected to Rene and Dinah, but that entire story was boring.

Cannot wait for Oliver to take down the psychiatrist. SA did an amazing job in those scenes, but I'm sick and tired of seeing Oliver be beaten down (physically, emotionally, etc.). 

Didn't hate the Felicity/BS scenes, but I find it so sad that Felicity had to turn to BS and no one else is questioning what Felicity's up to. 

Really want to see E2 Felicity. Damn right she runs an empire! 

But hey, Beebo! 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, JJ928 said:

So how many episodes until we learn Felicity faked her death? lol

I give it until midseason. And is it wrong to hope Felicity is just sending everyone on a wild goose chase and she and Oliver have been sunning themselves on a beach in Aruba for the past 20 years? Because that's what I want now. God knows they've earned it.

• Love 17

It was another ok episode but it had SO MUCH GOING ON!!!!! Like jeez! They couldn't decide what to do so they had to throw 4 storylines at us? 

Dinah/Rene dominating the episode didnt do much for me, they've had plenty to do since the premiere and I am ready for others to shine (namely my girl Siren and her teaming up with Felicity more). I feel like their arc that they've had since the premiere should be done now.

The new Green Arrow is totally a female. It gotta be. They drove home the whole "him, he, his" and that voice was way over done for it to be a guy.

Felicity coming to Laurel for help was great, they make a fun dynamic duo. Laurels story about E2 Oliver holds up so yay though I never thought that was a lie. E2 Felicity is ruthless, when can we go back to E2? I just needed more of those two together in this episode and they were fairly robbed.

Olivers whole psychological thing was ok though it will be useless if nothing comes of all of this.

So Star City is trashed in the future #shocked #not really. Dinah is there and will probably be a big character in the future from now on #shocked #not really. Zoe is Canary Jr. just as soon as we see Dinah give her the iconic BC/BoP logo #ughhhhh Really at this point they might as well just give the future peeps a spin off or at least a web series.

This whole "Felicity Smoak is dead" yeah f'ing right. You dont got the balls Arrow! You.Do.Not!

• Love 5

I really don’t think I can keep watching this show. I don’t mind a little dark but this has been 4 shows of dark. I’m just not enjoying the hopelessness that they are showing. Why keep watching something so depressing. Oh well  I’m going to wait a couple of shows and see how you all see it. If it gets better I’ll come back. Loved talking with you but I don’t like such depressing themes. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I'm so upset at the flash forwards. Oliver's being tortured for nothing. They're all working for nothing. None of it matters, because future Star City is shit. Just let it burn, what's the point? 

Maybe they achieve peace for a while then it goes to complete shit

• Love 1

I refuse to believe Felicity is dead in the future but why did Dinah say "Felicity Smoak is dead?" They were talking about Felicity so it's not like William and Roy were going to be confused and think she meant a different Felicity. I'm going to need the future to get a lot less dark soon. Why should I invest in these people if I know they're all going to be miserable or dead with their city fallen in 20 years? I was somewhat open-minded about the flashforward but this "nothing matters because it all goes to shit anyway" thing doesn't work for me. 

• Love 13
1 minute ago, KenyaJ said:

I give it until midseason. And is it wrong to hope Felicity is just sending everyone on a wild goose chase and she and Oliver have been sunning themselves on a beach in Aruba for the past 20 years? Because that's what I want now. God knows they've earned it.

It's all a big plan to get everyone to their destination anniversary party. 

1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

I'm so upset at the flash forwards. Oliver's being tortured for nothing. They're all working for nothing. None of it matters, because future Star City is shit. Just let it burn, what's the point? 

I'm having a hard time connecting to this season. I love Oliver and Felicity and Diggle full stop. But I'm beyond Oliver being broken down mentally and spiritually. Been there, done that, got Amell's charity t-shirt to prove it. Felicity is boss, but even her sadness is wearing. Poor Digg's become barely an entity who asks how high when ARGUS says jump. I know we're only 4 eps in, but we are 4 eps in. I'm going to need an epic OTA reunion. 

This ep had way, way too much Dinah, and I admit, this is the first time I noticed how awful an actor she is. I typically zone out when she's on screen. I'm all for the new future team, but what the hell, Star City? At this point, you don't deserve any vigilantes. The city loves them; the city hates them. A third rate sad little man easily took over the city. Clearly the federal government doesn't care.  Just raze that city to the ground. 

• Love 17
1 minute ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

why did Dinah say "Felicity Smoak is dead?" They were talking about Felicity so it's not like William and Roy were going to be confused and think she meant a different Felicity.

That was super weird! I mean JH's acting choices are weird in general but they wrote Felicity Smoak for her to say which is bizarre. 

I like the BS and Felicity scenes. Those two actually have good chemistry. 

Surely Beth cannot believe this "Felicity is dead" business is good for the show.

Can we just skip this show and go straight to E2 Felicity? 

Lol I will die if she's a ruthless mogul on E2 who is rivals with do gooder Ray Palmer who is oddly attracted to her.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

Yeah, I was really excited for that storyline, but that went south tonight. I'm not really here for an apocalyptic Star City story. TBH, that city deserves to rot due to the citizens' collective stupidity/ungratefulness. And Dinah and Zoe being included in the story makes me zone right out. I only want to see Oliver and Felicity and their family in the future. Everyone else is just as irritating and unnecessary in the future as they are in the present.

Speaking of which, I don't want to see Dinah again until Episode 15 at the earliest. I don't care about her feelings, her job, her existence. I just want her to go away. So of course, she's still around in the future. At least I can console myself knowing that whatever's going on with Felicity, Dinah is out of the loop. I stan a smart queen who knows when someone is non-essential personnel.

The Oliver scenes were great tonight and really the only scenes I felt invested in. SA killed it. Those scenes were hard to watch, but they're the only scenes I really want to rewatch.

Also, it's nice that Diggle doesn't have any time at all for Felicity, but he has time to drop in on Dinah and have heart to hearts with her. I just . . . I can't.

Finally, I've been patient, but now I'm getting grumpy. When Oliver and Felicity aren't together, the show suffers for it. It's just a fact. Fix it, show.

• Love 19

Are we sure these flash forwards are legit? I mean, I kinda feel like in the finale someone is gonna wake up and the ff were a dream, because no one can think this future is appealing. Something about the ff seems off to me, and it's not FS being "dead" (because I don't buy it).

This ep should have been Oliver as the A plot, Felicity/Siren B plot, and everything else as filler.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Yeah, I was really excited for that storyline, but that went south tonight. I'm not really here for an apocalyptic Star City story. TBH, that city deserves to rot due to the citizens' collective stupidity/ungratefulness. And Dinah and Zoe being included in the story makes me zone right out. I only want to see Oliver and Felicity and their family in the future. Everyone else is just as irritating and unnecessary in the future as they are in the present.

Speaking of which, I don't want to see Dinah again until Episode 15 at the earliest. I don't care about her feelings, her job, her existence. I just want her to go away. So of course, she's still around in the future. At least I can console myself knowing that whatever's going on with Felicity, Dinah is out of the loop. I stan a smart queen who knows when someone is non-essential personnel.

The Oliver scenes were great tonight and really the only scenes I felt invested in. SA killed it. Those scenes were hard to watch, but they're the only scenes I really want to rewatch.

Also, it's nice that Diggle doesn't have any time at all for Felicity, but he has time to drop in on Dinah and have heart to hearts with her. I just . . . I can't.

Finally, I've been patient, but now I'm getting grumpy. When Oliver and Felicity aren't together, the show suffers for it. It's just a fact. Fix it, show.

Diggle has time for that cause the writers have to have the Newbs shoved in everywhere and not have Diggle and Felicity being the best friends they should  be accomplishes this! Gotta have Felicity be buddy buddy with a Guy who onced tried to kill her husband! And crash at his place

• Love 7
1 minute ago, JJ928 said:

Are we sure these flash forwards are legit? I mean, I kinda feel like in the finale someone is gonna wake up and the ff were a dream, because no one can think this suture is appealing. Something about the ff seems off to me, and it's no FS being "dead" (because I don't buy it).

I think it's legit - they've set it up like a pilot within a show, like they're hoping these future people will take off so that the show can transition if Stephen doesn't sign on after next season. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I think it's legit - they've set it up like a pilot within a show, like they're hoping these future people will take off so that the show can transition if Stephen doesn't sign on after next season. 

I fear you are right but I sure hope everything they've said about Star City is either an exaggeration or has only gone to crap the last few years and Oliver and Felicity retreated from the world to work on a plan to fix it (Felicity being patient and using that big brain of hers) and now we will see the fruition of all their secret hard work (that they never filled Dinah in on cause she's the worst?)  Otherwise I'm not going to last long with a show that has told me the characters I'm here for have unhappy endings.  Not sure I'm interested in seeing how they get them.  

• Love 18
20 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

I really don’t think I can keep watching this show. I don’t mind a little dark but this has been 4 shows of dark. I’m just not enjoying the hopelessness that they are showing. Why keep watching something so depressing. Oh well  I’m going to wait a couple of shows and see how you all see it. If it gets better I’ll come back. Loved talking with you but I don’t like such depressing themes. 

Don't go @BunsenBurner! Or at least don't go permanently.  Stay in touch because it's going to get better, my guess is by February sweeps. At least Oliver will probably be out of prison by the mid-season finale.

For me, season 3 was the worst in terms of depressing. After the virus in the cell at Nanda Parbat episode, I went to lie on my bed and curled up because I was so depressed.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I fear you are right but I sure hope everything they've said about Star City is either an exaggeration or has only gone to crap the last few years and Oliver and Felicity retreated from the world to work on a plan to fix it (Felicity being patient and using that big brain of hers) and now we will see the fruition of all their secret hard work (that they never filled Dinah in on cause she's the worst?)  Otherwise I'm not going to last long with a show that has told me the characters I'm here for have unhappy endings.  Not sure I'm interested in seeing how they get them.  

I hope there's something in the works from Future Oliver and Future Felicity.

I'm also curious about what happened with William - where the hell has he been living that he didn't know Star City went to shit, or that his stepmother's apparently large tech company went to shit and she died? Even if you're estranged, surely you'd know those things? Unless that's just an abandoned office of Smoak Tech and it's still existing somewhere. Still, you think Felicity dying would've been news or something. 

This is dumb. 

• Love 24
Just now, Primal Slayer said:

I wonder if when Laurel ditched her bodyguards, they informed Dinah, and Dinah was just like "forget her" or if they'll just ignore that she disappeared for hours on end with her sorority sister. 

They probably had food poisoning again or whatever it was in 702 that made no sense. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

Showing a depressing fucked up world on what's suppose to be escapist tv isn't much fun in 2018 which is basically turning into a depressing fucked up world. So I relate. 

• Love 11

I'm not a fan of how this future storyline is robbing the show of hope.  Without the flashforwards, at least no matter what happened on the show, we knew it could get better.  Now they are saying that the good stuff is only going to fall apart but hey, right now why don't you keep wallowing in all the bad stuff of the present and the future?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       This is why keeping Olicity apart is a very bad idea. Where is the light at the end of the tunnel? Four episodes in and while I've watched enough tv to know FutureFelicity isn't going to stay dead, the idea of it and a ruined Star City and an abandoned William is still the most depressing thing ever.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Oliver will, I'm sure, get free before the crossover but then we'll have another 12 episodes of them beating us down with defeats since of course Arrow can't have wins til the very end of the season.  Ugh.  I feel so tired already.  

Edited by BkWurm1
I don't know what's up with the formatting. It won't let me fix it
  • Love 9

This episode was just disappointing and depressing. I feel weirdly flat now. 

Oliver's scenes were good but so depressing. I don't want to keep seeing Oliver tortured. Stop it. It's been 7 seasons! The scene with him and William was well done though and made me sad.

Felicity/Laurel scenes were good but I found it very strange how BS was acting like she truly knew Felicity. That was a bit of a stretch for me.

Dinah is THE WORST and I seriously just want her dead. Way too much focus on her and JH can't act at all. She either grits her teeth or acts flirty. I just don't get it. And the fact that she's in the flashforwards now? Awful. 

As for the flashforwards, they've ruined it for me. This future is just way too bleak and depressing. What's the point of everything they do now if this is how things end up? I was always concerned they might do something like this but seeing it just put me off the season. It really has. It's not that I even believe Felicity is dead either, though that was an asshole troll move by Beth there. It's just...what is there to look forward to? 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 12

Idk, it kind of just seemed run of the mill Arrow dark to me, nothing more or less. I get the frustration, but it doesn't really phase me as much. idk why. I didn't necessarily think the flashforwards were going to be all happy and think Beth and them just want to set up immediate mystery. Like, this episode alone already countered the idea that 701 was the last time he saw Felicity (and presumably Oliver), I'm guessing future things will reveal other stuff too.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Idk, it kind of just seemed run of the mill Arrow dark to me, nothing more or less. I get the frustration, but it doesn't really phase me as much. idk why.

You've been beaten down so much you've given up! You've achieved ultimate enlightenment and will now take everything Arrow throws at you calmly =P

• Love 3

I think by the end of the season, it will have been revealed that the whole main cast is alive in the future, which is stupid in and of itself. This is an action show about vigilantism. Why am I supposed to give a damn when characters are put in dangerous situations if I already know that they're still alive 20 years from now? It robs the present time story of any and all suspense. 

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 1
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

You've been beaten down so much you've given up! You've achieved ultimate enlightenment and will now take everything Arrow throws at you calmly =P

I haven't been beaten down. I liked the episode just fine. I don't think it was as good as the others story-wise (SA did a great job this episode though), but I don't think it was terrible. Why would I give up if I liked it?

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

And doesnt look like BC 6.0 gets a fancy costume

image.png.5c72d999c52bb6ff68b5270f63baed40.png

But her hair is now naturally curly.  Or she gets regular perms in the hell hole that Star City has become?  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, way2interested said:

I haven't been beaten down. I liked the episode just fine. I don't think it was as good as the others story-wise (SA did a great job this episode though), but I don't think it was terrible. Why would I give up if I liked it?

I'm probably projecting! I find this show super stupid but it's at the level where I'm like "Yeah I'll roll with that! It's Arrow! Cool."

• Love 1

Wait, so who's the new Green Arrow? Is it William? Yes, I know the Legends could get involved to make that happen, but having Oliver Queen's son from the future come to the present is a little much. I mean, even if he winds up piercing Diaz's stupid, stupid neck several times to prevent his (hot) stepmother from killing, it's just . . . huh???

Of course Zoe is a vigilante/freedom fighter in the future. Maybe her power is shooting guns without needing a hockey mask. Yeah, Rene's gotten more tolerable, but he's still a butthead. And I'm thinking that when Oliver has the inevitable reunion with the team, Rene will let out a very prolonged "HOSS!!!!" It's building up within him, I know it.

Curtis: "I know I'm in the top three of characters that viewers want dead,so I'm going to be scarce. But hey, I brought Zoe a Beebo! And doesn't Beebo make everything better?"

Intense stuff with Ollie. Anybody else think the doctor is on Diaz's payroll? Slabside is a big den of corruption anyway, so why not? Hey, at least the guy didn't break out Rorscach tests. "What do you see?" "Dead dog, head split in two." " . . . really?" "Wow, you suck. Maybe I'd be more compliant with more of the mystery serum."

• Love 1

I think this ep was run of the mill Arrow dark, but I wasn't expecting such a shitshow in the future. Now every time the team has a victory I'll be thinking...good work, but it's for nothing! Get out while you can!

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 11
8 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I think this ep was run of the mill Arrow dark, but I wasn't expecting such a shitshow in the future. Now every time the team has a victory I'll be thinking...good work, but it's for nothing! Get out while you can!

Part of me thinks though that this is all to set up the happy ending s3 style, though. Like everything starts bad but then ends happily for them, effectively cancelling out the doomed destiny

• Love 3
1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

This ep had way, way too much Dinah, and I admit, this is the first time I noticed how awful an actor she is. I typically zone out when she's on screen.

Yeah, I usually space out or even FF her scenes and now I realize that I had a good reason to do so. She's really bad. 

This season has definitely been dark and it's weird how each episode it feels like a lot has happened but there's no progression made whatsoever overall. The big problem with Arrow is how repetitive it is. How is this any different than when Chase tortured Oliver? Or Malcolm? Or henchman #904? Why do we have to watch over and over again the fear of Oliver losing who he "really" is and Felicity getting upset about it? Find new story lines, please. There's so much you can do about these characters that we haven't seen before, it's crazy how they retread the same beats over and over.

I think Arrow needs to move away from the vigilante stuff (or at least go back to bad dude of the week). I would seriously watch a show where Digg is trying to figure out his role at Argus and balance it with his marriage with his boss (you know a lot of the Argus people were like "sure we know why you've suddenly been promoted"), while Oliver and Felicity figure out what's next now that he's no longer Mayor, and all three of them get together to have a nice meal and complain about how complicated double lives are and figuring out your future is. Just show me the characters doing something new, please!

(Also, why the hell would the Glades be able to wall itself off? WHY DOES ARROW PRETEND THERE'S NO FEDERAL GOVERNMENT??? ARGUS DOESN'T COUNT.) You can't have your show flash forward to a dystopia when the present timeline of the show is a dystopia! Seriously, what's the point of anything if it's crappy now and will be crappy in the future and vigilantes will still be enemy #1? 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

But her hair is now naturally curly.  Or she gets regular perms in the hell hole that Star City has become?

She has to cheer herself up somehow, and it's a classic thing for a woman to do.

I like the idea of a Vigilante Resistance.

5 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wait, so who's the new Green Arrow? Is it William? Yes, I know the Legends could get involved to make that happen, but having Oliver Queen's son from the future come to the present is a little much. I mean, even if he winds up piercing Diaz's stupid, stupid neck several times to prevent his (hot) stepmother from killing, it's just . . . huh???

[snip]

Intense stuff with Ollie. Anybody else think the doctor is on Diaz's payroll? Slabside is a big den of corruption anyway, so why not? Hey, at least the guy didn't break out Rorscach tests. "What do you see?" "Dead dog, head split in two." " . . . really?" "Wow, you suck. Maybe I'd be more compliant with more of the mystery serum."

In the future flash forward in 701, William said he didn't know how to fire a bow. So he would have to learn how to shoot like that and then be transported to the past. I think it's too complicated, especially since Beth said that Arrow was going to be grounded in reality. (yeah, right)  To me, the person who is the new Green Arrow looks too slight to be William.

The psychiatrist is either on Diaz' payroll or has his own issues with Oliver, speculating

Spoiler

that he is the son of the Queen's Gambit captain, although how did he learn all that about Robert's actions

But whoever he is, the light and sound torture and the drugging and whatever he was doing with the hallucinations are shockingly unethical. The American Psychological Association voted to never take part in the "interrogations" at Guantanamo; seeing this on TV really bothers me.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, popgoesculture said:

(Also, why the hell would the Glades be able to wall itself off? WHY DOES ARROW PRETEND THERE'S NO FEDERAL GOVERNMENT??? ARGUS DOESN'T COUNT.) You can't have your show flash forward to a dystopia when the present timeline of the show is a dystopia! Seriously, what's the point of anything if it's crappy now and will be crappy in the future and vigilantes will still be enemy #1? 

And like apparently no one knows this is happening? It's not news, just no one cares anymore? William HAS to be in on whatever con Felicity and Oliver are running. Please, showrunner Jesus, don't let this all be so stupid.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

But whoever he is, the light and sound torture and the drugging and whatever he was doing with the hallucinations are shockingly unethical. The American Psychological Association voted to never take part in the "interrogations" at Guantanamo; seeing this on TV really bothers me.

This is Arrow. I think he subscribes to the Star City code of conduct, whatever that may be (probably make it up as you go along).

On another note, NGA is very flamboyant! Makes me giggle! 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1