Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: He Be Tight. He Be Mean.

• Start Topic

Ray is officially back working for Sam, and with Anita behind in the polls, they have to make a splash at the first mayoral debate. Darryl struggles with his leading man on the set of Mr. Lucky. Terry discovers a brutal new gym hidden in a warehouse in Brooklyn. And three generations of Donovans make their way from California to New York. Mickey’s coming, and no one knows what he has planned for his sons who betrayed him.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 11/11/18

I watched this episode On Demand. I am having a little bit of a hard time following some of the scenes, but all I can say is that this is for me the best season ever. The acting is mesmerizing. I have to watch this again to figure out some of the action, but this episode sizzles with excitement. 

Fantastic season so far! 

• Love 1

He's back and looking good.  And Lena is now in New York, so Ray has at least one person he can count on.  Gorgeous apartment and a nice Caddie to drive, though it's not his customary Mercedes.  At the bar, you could tell that Anita wanted a big hunk of Ray, but he wasn't having it.  Good man, stay out of her bed.  

Bridget is just as snotty as ever, but no sighting of Cancer boy.  She reads SO much into the few things Ray says, it's amazing.  She really needs to chill.  

And here's Mickey, just as twisted and screwed up as always.  "Sister" Sandy has obviously got some serious kinks, and Brendan in Priest garb does not bode well for his mental health.  You could almost see his skin crawl. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

Auntie Mullet was scaring Bunch.

I guess it's the end of the Staten Island cop story line.  He nurtured Ray back, now he's lost the kid and is a broken man.  Now that Ray has the car, loft and everything else, he aint going to slum it again in Staten Island.

OK, so Mickey is trying to score again and Ray is going to have to decide again whether to kill him, turn him in, or let it all go.

Kind of redundant plotting, we've been through this, Mickey taking advantage of his kids, causing problems, rather than settle into the role of gramps.  Sure his kids are damaged because of this man and he's the OG Donovan.  By now, they've all killed.  But what is he going to do with $3 million at this point in his life?  Leave some for the grandkids?

Ray should just throw him a roll now and then to keep the old man pacified, not causing trouble for any of the clan.

"Thanks so much for moving to New York, Lena."  Well Ray paid for date night at least.

I don't get the aluminum foil to black out the windows before filming that video.  Is that what Mexico is suppose to look like, all dark?

Really easy for Ray to create a gotcha moment in the mayoral debate.  Too easy.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, scrb said:

"Thanks so much for moving to New York, Lena."  Well Ray paid for date night at least.

I don't get the aluminum foil to black out the windows before filming that video.  Is that what Mexico is suppose to look like, all dark?

Lena cracked me up with her reactions when Ray was setting up the date.  “Who are you?”

I think they just wanted to make the video look like it was night, as if it were filmed after the debate instead of before.

When did Daryll end up in NY?  I was confused because I thought he was still in LA working on the film, but we’d seen in the clips that Mickey was going to come after him.

And here's Mickey, just as twisted and screwed up as always.  "Sister" Sandy has obviously got some serious kinks, and Brendan in Priest garb does not bode well for his mental health.  You could almost see his skin crawl. 

As if we needed any more evidence to show what a bad father Mickey is, he didn’t think that this might bother Bunchy?  

• Love 4

Bunchy. Like helping a dangerous fugitive escape custody wasn't bad enough now he adds kidnapping? And they didn't even have her in a car seat. That poor child.

Wow killing the Mickey-like character in the movie was a bit excessive. Even if Daryll expected Mickey not to be out of prison it seemed unnecessarily inflammatory to me.

Don't see how Mickey expects to get away with this. The movie studio can recast Jay's role. Not that they should let him die but it's not as if this is a big franchise movie that couldn't be made without him. Or just not made at all. Plus Mickey has to have shot pretty high up on the law enforcement radar. Canada might not be far enough away. (Plus, some priests travelling with toddler? Sure, that won't look suspicious at all. ?)

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2

The writers could be onto something whenever same old same old gets old. Just move to another city. They can do the entire country. This show could last a good fifty to a hundred years, a fixing, a fighting, a boxing gym-ing, a humping, mickey a-scheming, bunchy moron-ing an a darryl producing

• Love 1

Please explain: who was the blond in the white robe who Ray visits, pays off, and gets a sex tape of? Who was in that tape? She talked about Lena and Lena said she knew her back in LA but she moved to NYC to be near her brother in Rikers. That whole scene confused me, even with Lena talking about her in the next scene with Ray. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

Please explain: who was the blond in the white robe who Ray visits, pays off, and gets a sex tape of? Who was in that tape? She talked about Lena and Lena said she knew her back in LA but she moved to NYC to be near her brother in Rikers. That whole scene confused me, even with Lena talking about her in the next scene with Ray. 

The man in the tape was the moderator in the debate.  Ray threatened him with it to get him to let the former driver ask the question at the debate.  Remains to be seen whether anything the guy mentioned in his question was true or not, I’m guessing not since they had him disappear to Mexico until after the election.

The woman I don’t think was important except to show that Ray’s heart has grown a few sizes in the intervening months.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

The man in the tape was the moderator in the debate.  Ray threatened him with it to get him to let the former driver ask the question at the debate.  Remains to be seen whether anything the guy mentioned in his question was true or not, I’m guessing not since they had him disappear to Mexico until after the election.

The woman I don’t think was important except to show that Ray’s heart has grown a few sizes in the intervening months.

Thanks! I also don't even understand that whole plot line of the fights with the firemen outside the bar in this episode. The SI cop fought with them in episode one also. What is all that about? 

Edited by DakotaLavender
1 hour ago, DakotaLavender said:

Thanks! I also don't even understand that whole plot line of the fights with the firemen outside the bar in this episode. The SI cop fought with them in episode one also. What is all that about? 

The cop is self-destructive and after losing custody of his son, to his wife and her new husband, he's going to drink and get into fights.

I guess that is suppose to be the SI mentality.

They may not show much of SI any more.  Ray's got a loft in Manhattan now, though it may not be convenient to be so far south that he has a view of the Statue of Liberty.

• Love 5

Awwww, I loved that when Ray admitted that he never talks to Lena about personal stuff, he tried to rectify the situation by suggesting Lena take Justine out to dinner and Lena's understandable response was, "Who the fuck are you?!"

I'm not sure why it's Daryll's job as one of the (many) producers to coax the lead actor out of his trailer.

Ugh, did we have to add Bridget to Anita's campaign with an internship? I was perfectly happy not seeing her for more than one short scene per episode.

I'm glad that Terry walked away from that fight club. He does not need that. Just keep hitting that bag!

Hahaha, I can't lie - seeing Ray take a bat to a few guys was classic old school Ray.

It sucks that Mac's ex kept his kid from him, but I loved watching Mac just dig into that birthday cake with a fork.

I really like Ray's friendship with Mac. Ray doesn't have a lot of friends or really anyone in his life besides his family and Lena. He would clearly do almost anything for Mac, so when he offered to take the fall for beating up all the firemen, I went awwwwww. Between that and encuoraging Lena to take Justine to dinner, Ray is really making an effort to be good to the people who have been good to him.

8 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

One of the firemen is Amber's new boyfriend Johnny (as far we know, they aren't married - Mac said Amber and Johnny are just fucking) so Mac already had issues with him, but this week Ray got tickets for Mac to take Jimmy to a basketball game for his birthday that night (those are the floor seats that Lena said she got for Ray). Instead Johnny took Jimmy bowling so Amber called Mac and said that it was too late for Mac to take him to the basketball game and that Jimmy was already in bed. Mac was mad that Johnny ruined his plans for Jimmy's birthday so he went down to the firehouse to "take care of things" aka go punch Johnny again.

• Love 2

I am loving this season. Last season was a train wreck with all the Abby stuff, so good for the show with the course correction. Glad ind3cided not to delete the show from my DVR.

I too see no need for either of Ray’s kids. Much like Abby, the damage has already been done and there is no going back with their characters. However, given their existence and Ray’s love for them, it is unrealistic that they will barely be seen. I am more interested in Ray as a stand alone character and his relationship with all three of his brothers. Mickey, IMHO, needs to gomthe way of Abby. 

• Love 4

Welcome back Lena! Amazing that she's in NY less than three days and she's already able to score Knicks courtside seats. Although I don't know how good a birthday present it is to subject to your child to a Knicks game. 

I knew we'd be seeing Mickey in NYC, but I was really hoping Darryl and Bunchy wouldn't be coming to town. I'd like to see Ray with other people (I miss Avi) who aren't Sam, the person he's doing the fixing for, and his family. 

Nice job of blackmailing the debate moderator by Ray. With Lena's major assistance of course. Have I said how happy I am that Lena's back on the show?

• Love 3

Lena's "Who the fuck are you" was priceless.   She fits the New York vibe more than the L.A. scene.  

I think we now known that the role of a producer is whatever the director and the money people say it is.  Darryll is way too far down the food chain to have any clout yet, or the ability to say no to anybody or any task.  And I am despising "Mr. Lucky", Jay White.  They're doing a great job making him OTT egotistical and obnoxious with his "method" acting.  It's gotten very old, very quickly though.   

Again, I REALLYREALLYREALLY don't want him to sleep with Anita.  He can bang a few gorgeous supermodels & celebs just to scratch the itch, but I don't want him in a relationship yet.  But do NOT bring in any Abby flashbacks.  That chapter needs to stay closed!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

It is an old trope that when a show is dying, it adds new characters (preferably children) or moves to a new location.  No kids, yet, but the move does show that Ray Donovan is nearing the end of its run.  So much of this is so ridiculous, like a candidate for mayor just sidling into a bar, alone, without security, or an old man tricking the corrections system, getting help from his really stupidest son, and going a crime spree, again.  And finally, after jettisoning the horrible family last season, the awful daughter keeps coming back like a termite.  

• Love 2

When Ray showed up at his bro’s gym to get into shape I thought they passed over the actual time it would take to get Ray mean and lean again. They made it look like a few days but IRL I suspect it would take a month or so. I’m glad to see Ray in his dress white shirts again. 

I’m so glad to see Lena back in Ray’s life again. She can almost do anything and is far more street smart than you would suspect by looking at her. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

I REALLYREALLYREALLY don't want him to sleep with Anita.  He can bang a few gorgeous supermodels & celebs just to scratch the itch, but I don't want him in a relationship yet.  But do NOT bring n any Abby flashbacks.  That chapted needs to stay closed!

I really don't want him to sleep with Anita either but I do find it kind of funny that he had no hesitation about banging other women left and right while Abby was alive and now that she's dead he's being all celibate. Maybe if he'd been able to keep it in his pants while Abby was still alive, they would have had a slightly happier marriage.

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Maybe if he'd been able to keep it in his pants while Abby was still alive, they would have had a slightly happier marriage.

I assumed they would always be "Til death do us part", but I just figured it would be Ray dying at the end of the series.  He's got to do a bit of emotional pennance for a while, but he'll be back in somebody's pants in no time.   

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2

I have always hated the Mickey character. He is a rotten human being...true scum. Evil, manipulative, narcissistic, selfish to the core. He has ruined the lives of his children and is the one ultimately responsible for 95% of the problems/negativity/destruction in the show. I agree with Ray 100% regarding his opinion of his father and wanting him dead. It's maddening to see all the crap Mickey has gotten away with over the seasons. I would really enjoy seeing him go down. I have to give credit to Jon Voight for his excellent portrayal of the character. 

It is shocking to me that the other brothers don't hate Mickey at the level that Ray does. Unlike Ray, they are too stupid to realize how much horrible damage he has done to their lives.

"My father is a dipshit...he has always been a dipshit!"  Ray in Season 3 (which is my favorite season of the series). Season 3 also featured the amazingly classic line from Avi referring to Mickey, "This fucking guy!!"

• Love 2

Did this show forget Terry has Parkinson's?  Why would he even consider going into the ring? The only reason he doesn't shake is because of that pacemaker thing that they don't even mention him wearing anymore.  I don't even know how he could be doing heavy workouts tbh, I would think that device would allow him to live a fairly normal life but he would still have to avoid a lot of demanding physical activity.

On 11/12/2018 at 6:45 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Awwww, I loved that when Ray admitted that he never talks to Lena about personal stuff, he tried to rectify the situation by suggesting Lena take Justine out to dinner and Lena's understandable response was, "Who the fuck are you?!"

I'm not sure why it's Daryll's job as one of the (many) producers to coax the lead actor out of his trailer.

Ugh, did we have to add Bridget to Anita's campaign with an internship? I was perfectly happy not seeing her for more than one short scene per episode.

I'm glad that Terry walked away from that fight club. He does not need that. Just keep hitting that bag!

Hahaha, I can't lie - seeing Ray take a bat to a few guys was classic old school Ray.

It sucks that Mac's ex kept his kid from him, but I loved watching Mac just dig into that birthday cake with a fork.

I really like Ray's friendship with Mac. Ray doesn't have a lot of friends or really anyone in his life besides his family and Lena. He would clearly do almost anything for Mac, so when he offered to take the fall for beating up all the firemen, I went awwwwww. Between that and encuoraging Lena to take Justine to dinner, Ray is really making an effort to be good to the people who have been good to him.

One of the firemen is Amber's new boyfriend Johnny (as far we know, they aren't married - Mac said Amber and Johnny are just fucking) so Mac already had issues with him, but this week Ray got tickets for Mac to take Jimmy to a basketball game for his birthday that night (those are the floor seats that Lena said she got for Ray). Instead Johnny took Jimmy bowling so Amber called Mac and said that it was too late for Mac to take him to the basketball game and that Jimmy was already in bed. Mac was mad that Johnny ruined his plans for Jimmy's birthday so he went down to the firehouse to "take care of things" aka go punch Johnny again.

I’m really late to the party. Me and Mr Diva are binging the series. So Mac goes to fight the boyfriend at the firehouse....ummm isn’t the boyfriend off duty that night because he’s with the kid for his birthday. Me and Mr were like “sonhe jist goes to firehouse and beats up any fireman”. And why are these firemen fighting in the middle of the ateeet, I’m from of their house?  Laughable. (Sarcasms not directed at you). 🙂

3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I’m really late to the party. Me and Mr Diva are binging the series. So Mac goes to fight the boyfriend at the firehouse....ummm isn’t the boyfriend off duty that night because he’s with the kid for his birthday. Me and Mr were like “sonhe jist goes to firehouse and beats up any fireman”. And why are these firemen fighting in the middle of the ateeet, I’m from of their house?  Laughable. (Sarcasms not directed at you). 🙂

Firemen can be on different shifts. He might have had the overnight shift after the party ended.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:08 AM, scrb said:

They may not show much of SI any more.  Ray's got a loft in Manhattan now, though it may not be convenient to be so far south that he has a view of the Statue of Liberty.

Looking at the angle that his loft has towards the Statue, quick check with Google Maps actually indicates that his loft is located somewhere in New Jersey. Yeah, I know. It is like every hotel window in Paris looks directly to Eiffel Tower and in Toronto to CN Tower.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:19 AM, Loandbehold said:

Welcome back Lena! Amazing that she's in NY less than three days and she's already able to score Knicks courtside seats.

Except for playoffs - which is far and away for the Knicks - it is not that difficult on StubHub. For pretty penny, of course.

On a separate note, I check Raoul's French restaurant in New York. It is not that expensive. $52 for steak and $44 for halibut + lobster. So why Ray gave Lena that stack of money? Of course, knowing American money, those bills could be just $10s.

• Love 1

I’m so annoyed with the entire filming of the movie.  Those scenes.....just horrible. 

I have a lot of pet peeves with this show, but, one that is particularly bad is how no matter how many times these guys get punched in the face, theY never anticipate it coming. No matter if they are giving someone bad news, making someone really angry, or dealing with a violent person who is know to punch people in the face....makes no difference. They stand there and show no defense moves, which is ironic coming from a family of boxers. LOL