Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E09: Fire and Reign

• Start Topic

Speaking of twists....

Coco's "power" is sensing danger. Yet, when the texts about the bomb come through, she tells everyone to ignore them because they're a mistake.

Coco's Cooperative-member father sends her to Miss Robicheaux's even thought Coco has never performed any magic and still hasn't.

She begs Mallory - whom she just reamed minutes earlier and called useless - to go on the plane with her saying she'd be lost without her. Then the plane crashes/flies itself to the outpost.

Coco conveniently slips out of the poison apple party.

Mallory's powers are gone minutes before Michael arrives to kill everyone.

Coco isn't a witch and she wants Mallory dead.

• Love 4

I'm trying to think of a way that Coco can be the antichrist but I don't have an explanation for why her powers haven't shown by this point.

Her family is sinister so that works. They made sure that she'd survive the apocalyptic fall out. She's generally a terrible person. She seems to be able to conveniently wiggle out of trouble. I also think about the moment in the first episode when they're in the plane. When everything starts going to hell and there's some sort of explosion, we can see the fire balls reflecting in her eyes and she doesn't seem horrified. Hmmm. 

OTOH, not only do we have her not showing powers for the most part but she's pretty easily killed by her disgruntled ex at the outpost. Would Satan really let his kid/representative be taken out like that?

I have to admit though that Michael doesn't seem to have all of the qualities that I would expect an antichrist to have. He isn't quite cruel or power hungry enough. He also seems capable of feeling love and affection. Not only that but he comes across as exceptionally lost for someone who is supposed to have a pretty straightforward path. No, he doesn't have a guidebook but looking to The Omen III for guidance? Isn't it strange that he doesn't seem to have the power to instinctively know which steps to take? Calling on his father doesn't seem to have made things clear for him. Billy Eichner's character might not have been that off the mark when he joked that Satan should get a DNA test with Michael. 

As for Mallory, I know there are people who want her to be the real antichrist but the reason that doesn't work for me is because she continually shows goodness and empathy. Having her be the antichrist would be surprising, sure, but wouldn't make any sense narratively. 

• Love 4

Coco really doesn't seem to be a terrible person in the flashbacks to me. A little privileged and whiney maybe, but she seemed to get along with her classmates, be respectful of Fiona and the other teachers, have decent intentions, etc. It was only in the Judgement Day scenario and subsequent bunker episodes that she was awful to Mallory and others, and based on what Mallory said to Michael it appears that may be a false persona created via witchcraft to keep her under deep cover.

• Love 2

I don't think Coco is The Antichrist, but I do think she's Antichrist-adjacent in some way. She's some kind of agent for the true Antichrist, which I happen to think is the other baby, Michael's twin. Tate insisted he wasn't Michael's father and Ben took to Michael as though Michael were his son. That's because, I think, he was. Yes, I know the other baby died.

• Love 1

So, the end times was brought about because...two coked out nerds with truly horrible haircuts were annoyed with parking and mediocre coffee? Ryan, what is even going on now? Are you even trying anymore? What is the freaking point of this season?!? 

So the thing that makes this season stand out? Constantly, pointlessly killing characters off! 

• Love 4