Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 11/5/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday, Nov. 5 – The Political View with Gov. John Kasich (R-Ohio); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Nov. 6 – The Political View with ABC News’ Jonathan Karl discussing the 2018 midterm elections; Kenan Thompson (“Saturday Night Live” and Dr. Seuss’ “The Grinch”)

Wednesday, Nov. 7 – Day of Hot Topics following the 2018 midterm elections 

Thursday, Nov. 8 – The Political View with White House correspondent April Ryan (“Under Fire: Reporting from the Front Lines of the Trump White House”); John C. Reilly (“Ralph Breaks the Internet”)

Friday, Nov. 9 – Ana Navarro guest co-hosts; retired U.S. Army Capt. Florent 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I wonder if they'll keep listing Ana Navarro as a guest even though she's been hired officially now?

The press release with the guest list was put out last Thursday before her hire was announced it seems.

• Love 3

I will have to watch Wednesday, whatever the results of the elections. After reading here about Ana, I watched Friday's episode, and actually enjoyed it for the first time in a long time.

• Love 10

About 3 sentences in, we hear about Meg's father.  I think getting engaged to Ariana Grande was the worst thing to happen to Pete Davidson.  No one knew who he was before but now his assholery is on full display.

• Love 15

I had made up my mind this morning, that I was going to watch Meghan McCain on The View today, as if I had no prior knowledge of her existence or opinions. I went to get myself a cup of coffee right before the show started and walked back into the room as the hosts were approaching the table. I took my seat just as Meghan got to hers, and nasty words were flying out of my mouth before my ass hit the chair.  STRIKE ONE

They had the Pete Davidson conversation during the first segment. Meghan started out by claiming she's not a snowflake. I said, to no one who could hear me, "You're much more of a snowflake than you are an ice queen." STRIKE TWO.

So, I'm taking bets. When, during this hour, will I strike out on this new endeavor?

Edited by General Days
typo
  • Love 21

I'm listening from my kitchen table while on my laptop, just got off my lazy butt to wander in living room to glance at tv and LIPSTICK!!  Holy smokes.  That's all I saw!  SHINY LIPSTICK.  Lots of it.  On Abby and Meghan.  Holy shit.  And I don't even have a High def tv.  My tv is like 90 years old.  And the glare was STRONG.  Looks like the makeup dept has decided it's time to start up the "Holiday Look"

Edited by Cementhead
Wander not wonder. I am getting too sloppy with my spelling!
  • Love 15

I wasn't a big fan of Whoopi's valley girl voice, but I'll take it over her "royal Queen voice" any day.  I can't take another shrill voice when we've got the ultimate shrill machine on the other side of the table.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

What will it take for Whoopi to give up the annoying accents - The Queen, Valley Girl, etc.? Not funny at all.

I sort of like the Queen accent. I'm way over the Valley Girl one though. In part, because it makes it sound like she is way-over whatever topic she's introducing. Were she not the moderator introducing the topic, I might not mind it so much, but she's pretty much announcing, "I don't care about this, but they're making me talk about it, so I'm going to belittle it."

And usually, Whoopi uses the Valley Girl accent for topics I don't think are worth my time either (stupid celebrity stuff), so I guess (in addition to her just over-using it) I resent her reminding me that I'm not into the topic at hand. I don't know. She can stop it any time though. 

For those keeping track at home, I didn't strike out today on my new Meghan MCain mental game, and no one is more surprised than I am. I think that's only because about a 3rd of the show time was dedicated to View-Your-Deal, so Meghan had less of a chance to press my buttons. 

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, General Days said:

What is Meghan McCain's problem, that she is incapable of discussing anything having to do with the British Royal Family?

(...she asked, while studiously avoiding yelling at or cussing out the... co-host)

Megs is jealous because her in-laws probably can't stand her. 

• Love 8

Gee, I was hoping I could hear Christmas music on November 5th.  Not.

When I worked for a Member of Congress, John Kasich was in the House, and, had an office down the hall.  He has  always come across as a very nice man.  I guess that's why he's been a successful politician.

• Love 21

I was thinking that there wouldn't be ViewYourDeal at the end of the show since we already got a deal after every commercial break, but greed won again.  Hopefully they don't do this every week or Mondays will be "must not see TV".  An "avocado hugger"?!?  Why should my avocados get more affection than me :-(.

• Love 18
21 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Gee, I was hoping I could hear Christmas music on November 5th.  Not.

When I worked for a Member of Congress, John Kasich was in the House, and, had an office down the hall.  He has  always come across as a very nice man.  I guess that's why he's been a successful politician.

I know someone whose relative works for Kasich and he is a nice man.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

About 3 sentences in, we hear about Meg's father.  I think getting engaged to Ariana Grande was the worst thing to happen to Pete Davidson.  No one knew who he was before but now his assholery is on full display.

He's been on SNL for a while, and he talks about his bipolar disorder, even called out for Kanye to "take your meds!"  

He did a bit where  he mocked politicians' appearances, on a late night show where they mock everyone.  And he was playing a character when he did it. I don't see the big deal.

• Love 22

Arrrhggggghhhh!!! Christmas music?  Can you at least wait until after Veteran’s  Day?  It appears that my birthday (November 1) now marks the start of the holiday season. 

Yesterday I was shopping at a department store and they were playing CHRISTMAS CAROLS over the loud speaker. One of the sales associates looked up from her cash register and said, “What the hell?! I still have Halloween candy left!”. 

• Love 15

I had one hand on the remote, ready to click, at the first "deal" during the show.  I'm thinking they know people tune out at the end because they hate the deals, so now they're throwing them in during the show willy nilly.  I actually clicked out when Kasich came on.  I'm in no mood for Rs right now, on the eve of such an important election,no matter how nice he might be.  Did they have a D on after him, in the spirit of equality?

To clarify, I don't dislike Kasich; in fact, I felt some pity for him during the 2016 campaign when trump made fun of his table manners.  But I just hope the show had a guest on from the other party, this close to election day.

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

This show is classified as part of the ABC news division? Seems to me, this show should be on the Home Shopping Network.  This is bullshit. I am sick of seeing that Greta woman. She reminds me of a demented elf with her forced enthusiasm.

Greta reminds me of one of the "contributors" you see on the morning shows, like Today or GMA.  One of the many reasons I don't watch any of those shows is so that I can avoid frantic, crazed, chirpy people like her.  I can't tolerate grown women acting so over-the-top crazy over a pair of boots (!) a throw (!) a handbag (!) at 8a.m, 11a.m, or any a.m. 

• Love 16
52 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Arrrhggggghhhh!!! Christmas music?  Can you at least wait until after Veteran’s  Day?  It appears that my birthday (November 1) now marks the start of the holiday season. 

Yesterday I was shopping at a department store and they were playing CHRISTMAS CAROLS over the loud speaker. One of the sales associates looked up from her cash register and said, “What the hell?! I still have Halloween candy left!”. 

My husband , whose b-day is Nov. 2 , coincidentally, loves Christmas Carols and has them playing in his car already.  Sirius XM has a station of 24-7 Christmas Carols and he has it on and will leave it there until after Christmas.  Times like these, I question his sanity.  And mine for marrying him.  First thing I do when I get in his car is change the station!  Between Greta AND the music, it's going to get really easy to stop watching this show!

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 12

Abby made what has to be one of my least favorite arguments today which is the "veterans fought for your right to free speech so you shouldn't use free speech" kind of argument.

I was shocked to find myself actually agreeing with something Meghan said today! A broken clock and all that, I guess. But I do agree that voting should be on a day that is easier for people to get to, whether it gets made a national holiday or is moved to a weekend, and I also agree it should be compulsory like in Australia. Actually the US could learn a lot from the Australian system. It seems like too much time has to be spent having to convince people to vote, before even getting to the issues, and then people can still be turned away from voting booths.

That View Your Deal stuff cropping up throughout the show only served to irritate me enough to turn The View off half way through.

• Love 21
19 minutes ago, SuzieSioux said:

Abby made what has to be one of my least favorite arguments today which is the "veterans fought for your right to free speech so you shouldn't use free speech" kind of argument.

She also was making the argument veterans should be a protected class right before they went to break.  I have as much respect for veterans as the next person but people make jokes about everyone and everything.  Pete Davidson's joke was unfunny and offensive but honestly if he hadn't been a veteran I would have still found the joke unfunny and offensive.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, rcc said:

They must know that many people leave the show when the "deals" come on. So clever of them to sprinkle all the "goodies" throughout the show.

I rarely watch the show live, so I just fast forward through them. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, backformore said:

(Pete Davidson's) been on SNL for a while, and he talks about his bipolar disorder, even called out for Kanye to "take your meds!"  

Davidson has borderline personality disorder, not bipolar (which I believe Kanye has, as much as I don't want to play Amateur Psychologist).

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, Kenz said:

She's 34 years old, but she has the maturity of a preteen.

That’s being too generous. I’d say the maturity of a toddler throwing a tantrum.

Oooh! Alliteration!???

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 15
7 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

What will it take for Whoopi to give up the annoying accents - The Queen, Valley Girl, etc.? Not funny at all.

Whoopi thinks she is great with accents. I loved when Joy said it sounded like Julia Child. I always feel like Whoopi is auditioning her ability to do accents. Whenever they have actors on who are good with accents you can tell that Whoopi sees herself in the same class. 

When Kasich said you should be able to report someone who is unstable and the authorities would confiscate their guns, I thought I know who would be the first person I would report. I would cite her View appearances as evidence.

• Love 19

I've always loved Pete Davidson. When I watched SNL last Saturday, I knew that moment was going to be blown out of proportion. I'm glad that through all of Abby's and Meggie's histrionics, Joy pointed out that saying whatever he wants about anybody he wants IS Pete Davidson's right and spewing bullshit about him is Meghan's right--she can't censor anyone, fake tears and "MY FATHER"'s be damned. I'm glad she pointed out that Davidson's father died in 9/11 and that she mocked Abby as they went to commercial over Abby's long list of people who should be "off-limits" from being joked about.

I don't always like Whoopi's accents, but her impersonating the Queen today was pretty funny. Good interview from John Kasich. I laughed with Joy when he responded to Sunny's comment that Trump was campaigning in Ohio with, "That's why I'm here [New York] today."

• Love 12
4 hours ago, SuzieSioux said:

I was shocked to find myself actually agreeing with something Meghan said today! A broken clock and all that, I guess. But I do agree that voting should be on a day that is easier for people to get to, whether it gets made a national holiday or is moved to a weekend, and I also agree it should be compulsory like in Australia.

I would hope that if such a proposal were adopted, it would be specified to remain on a Tuesday (or perhaps changed to a Wednesday) so that it would not become another 3-day weekend.  A long weekend would be counter-productive as many would use it as another nice weekend away and neglect to vote anyway. Just an opinion...

• Love 16
4 hours ago, SuzieSioux said:

I was shocked to find myself actually agreeing with something Meghan said today! A broken clock and all that, I guess. But I do agree that voting should be on a day that is easier for people to get to, whether it gets made a national holiday or is moved to a weekend, and I also agree it should be compulsory like in Australia. Actually the US could learn a lot from the Australian system. It seems like too much time has to be spent having to convince people to vote, before even getting to the issues, and then people can still be turned away from voting booths.

That View Your Deal stuff cropping up throughout the show only served to irritate me enough to turn The View off half way through.

Nice to see new people joining in ... welcome @SuzieSioux!!!

• Love 3