Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Do No Harm

Athena
  • Start Topic

Oh Claire and Jamie, they try so hard to do the right thing, and it so often goes horribly. Mainly because Claire (and later Jamie) wants to help every single historical injustice that she sees, which is admirable, but she rarly knows the whole context behind what is happening, like what would happen to the other slaves if the slave ran away. I dont blame them for wanting to save poor Rufus and feeling disgusted by living somewhere with slaves, and it sucks that there is really no easy answer here. I think that mercy killing Rufus was the best they could do. It is always great to see Claire go into battle nurse mode, she instantly takes charge of any room, and I dont blame everyone for instantly doing as she says. 

Claire was progressive even for the mid 20th century, so of course she is about a million years away from the American colonies, so it certainly makes sense for Claire to be trying so hard to help the slaves. And Jamie has had plenty of experience being disenfranchised, abused, and having his culture and people forcibly take by people who lecture them on what savages they are, so I can totally see him being disgusted by slavery, even beyond Jamie just being a good guy who has been with Claire for years now. Even young Ian pointed out that the Scots sound quite a bit like the Native Americans, and him being in the room as Rufus talked about being taken from his homeland and family was a great addition. You could just see on his face how much that was affecting him, and how much he related to his own experiences. 

It was in general a good episode for Young Ian. Him and his cute dog were adorable, as was him grabbing some random flowers to give to his aunt Jocasta, but he also got some nice character moments, comparing the Native Americans to the Scots, backing up Claire at the party and when she was operating on Rufus, and he had lots of great reactions throughout the episode. And I always love how much he clearly loves his Auntie Claire and just thinks that she is the most awesome, coolest person in the entire world. 

We get our first torches and pitchfork mob of the season! That was super creepy and disturbing, its just so awful to see how deeply ingrained this system is, and its horrible injustice, especially as people talk about "justice being served" in this horribly unfair system. There is no way for Jamie and Claire to really help the way they want to without creating all new problems, its just a mess. 

Love Maria Doyle Kennedy in everything, and I am already fascinated by her as Aunt Jocasta. Really, all of the new characters seem great and well acted so far. Its going to be a pretty depressing season already (which, kinda describes most of the show) but I am engaged so far.

• Love 4

I just don't understand why Claire continues to wear Frank's ring.  I mean she never got over Jamie, never took his ring off.  Yes, I know she continued to wear both rings since her wedding to Jamie and when she came back.  But, to have his ring taken from her in such a horrible way why does she continue to wear Frank's ring?  I just don't get it.  

• Love 1

I just don't understand why Claire continues to wear Frank's ring. 

We saw the show highlight the worst days of Claire's marriage to Frank but there were years and years of good days that we didn't see depicted.  She DID love him when she married him and she reiterated that when she was kneeling over his dead body just last season.  So it makes sense to me that she would continue to wear his ring.  Of course the matter of the rings takes on even more meaning in the books because at one point Book!Jamie is gambling to earn them some coin (just like we see him and Ian do in the show) and he asks Claire for Frank's ring to bet with.  She hands him both rings.  He doesn't ask for Frank's ring a second time.

12 hours ago, Nidratime said:

I was curious why Claire didn't ask to examine Jocasta's eyes.

Unless I'm mistaken she does ask to do so in the book (at least she asks Jocasta to describe the progression of her loss of sight) and Claire speculates that the cause is Glaucoma.  Unfortunately, that's not a disease that she can treat effectively in the 18th century. There is no surgical solution and the drugs she needs don't exist.  (Except marijuana -- too bad Claire didn't take a bit of Father Fogden's whacky tobaccy with her when she left his place  -- but she was in a bit of a rush.)

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

Isn't it true that in the book it takes much longer before they know that Jocasta is basically blind? Or am I making that up? I was kind of surprised when she just straight up announced it at the dock. I thought she had set things up with her butler so most people had no idea. If that is a change, maybe that's why they didn't think to have Claire ask, because you're right, it makes sense that she would want to. Of course the way things played out here, they don't get off to the best start... Oh well. I might be imagining that.

49 minutes ago, Petunia846 said:

Isn't it true that in the book it takes much longer before they know that Jocasta is basically blind? Or am I making that up? I was kind of surprised when she just straight up announced it at the dock. I thought she had set things up with her butler so most people had no idea. If that is a change, maybe that's why they didn't think to have Claire ask, because you're right, it makes sense that she would want to. Of course the way things played out here, they don't get off to the best start... Oh well. I might be imagining that.

I think they're about thirty minutes into things - they're in the parlor having drinks when Claire finally figures it out  

On November 12, 2018 at 11:16 PM, qtpye said:

I hate that my home country of the United States throws away actresses after they hit 35 because she is an example of a lady who grows more fascinating with each year she ages.

Me too. In recent years, a focal point of that depression for me has been Jennifer Garner - whom I adored as a smart, kickass woman in Alias, who now has to play "the mom" in literally everything. Even in the movie where yes, she's a mom who kicks ass.

i loved Maria Doyle Kennedy in The Tudors (less so in DA) and damn, she is just one of those actors who can do accents. Total respect.

Loved this episode, though yeah, not much on the rewatch. We went from Outlander Roots to Outlander ER in like 5 minutes flat! I do get frustrated with Claire and her modern sensibilities, though I think the episode did a good job in progressing us from "see, Jocasta's nice! You can work with that!" through "That's a lot of money and requirements, but..." to finally "these people are nuts and you'll both probably die for your ideals." Claire knows by now that she's not going to eradicate slavery (not anymore than she could avert Culloden) so the best she can do is be kind whenever possible - but even the River Run environment makes that difficult.

Anyone getting weird GOT references anytime they type "River Run?" Especially given Tobias Menzies' involvement in both shows? (For GOT non-watchers, Menzies' GOT character is/was the heir to the castle "Riverrun," an odd coincidence!)

Edited by Moxie Cat

I looked it up about freeing a slave and it seems it was anachronistic in that the restrictions did not come about until the 19th century.  At this time, owners could free slaves at will.  Reminiscent of the musical, 1776, where Jefferson said he was going to free his slaves, and Rutledge said that would ruin Jefferson's personal economy.  

The area may have been very loyalist, since most of them seem very pro-British and not still angry about the Stamp Act that just passed, but that might have been true for the South - it was harder to get them on board for the Revolution. 

I did think Claire should take off Frank's ring at least.  It's one thing to wear both but with Jamie's missing, and she doesn't have Brianna around (maybe a reason to wear it, but better just give it to Brianna). It seems ridiculous to wear it with Jamie's gone and she's actually with Jamie.  

• Love 1

I've just started watching this season (Netflix released it today), so I'm here about 2 1/2 years after most have seen it. I have to say, watching this episode today (January 2021) particularly following the events of the past few years in this country, and especially the last few weeks (insurrection at the Capitol and its aftermath) and the resurgence of certain...sentiments, this episode left me in tears. 

Actual tears. 

• Love 1