Type keyword(s) to search

Season Five Episode Talk

15 hours ago, 40Love said:

I've seen Lorraine take bites of the desserts... and think some of the fork scraping is just her re-tasting the dish. I also think her eating style has more to do with trying not to ruin her lipstick than her not wanting to eat ala-Giada. She's a former model who probably never changed her habits after having to preserve her makeup while snacking at a photo shoot.

Was she a tooth model?

• Love 4

Waving to Sherry!  So sorry you got screwed with the green apple cough syrup.  It was a doomed ingredient from the start.  I enjoyed your snippets with Jesse, "I thought I was Jesse's girl!"  Hope to see you around FN again.

• Love 4

Welcome Sherry!  You are a brave woman to venture in here.  I think for most posters, snarky is our default position.  You're taking it extremely well!  

I agree that if the show MUST have a twist, then all the bakers should have to deal with the exact same one.  There was a different episode where the twist was herbs and someone got stuck with lavender.  Oddly enough, the judges thought her dish tasted like soap!    

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Frost said:

Welcome Sherry!  You are a brave woman to venture in here.  I think for most posters, snarky is our default position.  You're taking it extremely well!  

I agree that if the show MUST have a twist, then all the bakers should have to deal with the exact same one.  There was a different episode where the twist was herbs and someone got stuck with lavender.  Oddly enough, the judges thought her dish tasted like soap!    

The funny part about that is that she got sent home too for not using the lavender properly. 

• Love 1

@Sherrytheannoying, I am sorry that some folks are bagging on you. I didn’t find you annoying in the least. And even if I were the most accomplished baker known to mankind, I would never have the nerve to put myself out there, so kudos to you, girl! 

I’m still puzzled why TPTB just had to throw that putrid green apple syrup into this episode. I’ve had chocolate truffles with some unique flavor combinations, but would anyone ever to point to any baked good that has green apple syrup in it and say, “oooh, I’ll take that!” Or has anyone ever said, “my favorite flavor combo is coffee and jolly rancher apple!” No! It was so ridiculous of the show to do that to you or to anyone. I really have never liked these stupid twists. Just put the bakers on equal footing and let them do their stuff so we viewers can enjoy watching as we lick our screens! 

Thank you for being brave enough to post on here and to share your experiences. Give your mom a hug for me.

And I want to add that as we watch these shows, please remember that editors are involved. Lorraine may be shown taking her tiny bites or using a fork in a unique manner because that’s what they show us. Or they could show me doing my weird smirk or eyebrow thing because they just want to latch on something. Maybe we should cut people some slack. 

• Love 10
21 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

No one, I repeat NO ONE, has ever used the 10 minutes with the judge prize well.  They always have them make decoration.  Heck, I would've have him make the crunch layer.  I bet it wouldn't have been so dense.

I think that's a good insight. The problem with them doing a decoration is that we've also seen the judges go "That's nice. Duff made it. We'll judge around it." Get assistance on an internal component and there could be some real expertise benefit.

Although as I think about it, the winner of the advantage never seems to win the main heat anyway. If there's a handy record somewhere I'd be curious to check if it isn't negatively correlated instead.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sherrytheannoying said:

I honestly was kinda shocked at how much dislike was coming my way🤷‍♀️ My mom found this site, by accident and told me. It’s harder for a parent to read, I guess. In real life I’m getting bagged because my husband and (other) family members weren’t mentioned. I can’t please everyone.😂

I’m still dealing with my own internal humiliation from week 1🤦‍♀️

For what it's worth, reality show people are judged separately from reality around here. Once the editors are picking footage for you you're a character, and characters are easier to have strong opinions on than real people. So whatever negative someone might have posted here, I'm sure they would find you lovely in real life.

I of course thought you were delightful on TV as well and totally up a creek with that selection. If the challenge was merely "apples and coffee", that would be difficult but plausible. Artificial-tasting sour liquid is just impossible.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Sherrytheannoying said:

It’s just Sherry. I’ll pass on the tat. I think I’m too old for that at this point in my life. Honestly, in real life, I don’t shove where I’m from, down people’s throats. But yes, I’m definitely not everyone’s cup of tea.

I'm definitely too old for a tat, as well! Glad to see you have a sense of humor about all this. The previous (heh) website that spawned this one was called Television Without Pity, so we have to live up to that!

If I were forced to use the green apple syrup I'd have probably tried to bring in fresh apples somehow. I can't remember the flavor the tart you made, but maybe it was just too many different flavors? But that whipped cream must really have tasted nasty...Nancy's face. Ha!

P.S. I noticed that you have an 'e' on the end of your last name and immediately thought Bobby Clarke!

• Love 1
21 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I don't know if this is really Sherry, but as I was reading the comments, I felt like I was watching a different show than everybody else because I thought Sherry was hysterical and was bummed she was the one to go home. Her interactions with Jessie were so funny. If I ate sweets, I'd love to go to her house for a cup of BLACK coffee and dessert, no green apple syrup.

I am sure after reading all the comments so far that this is the real Sherry @Sherrytheannoying, and I just want to say that I am so fan girling over this! I love Food Network, been watching it for years. The Holiday Baking shows have always been a favorite, and to actually feel like I am talking to someone that was on the show - WOW!!! There are no words!!! Thank you Sherry for actually coming on here and giving your insight, and you are very gracious and humble, and if you want, maybe we could go out for coffee someday. :)

Edited by jlc
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Sherrytheannoying said:

I honestly was kinda shocked at how much dislike was coming my way🤷‍♀️ My mom found this site, by accident and told me. It’s harder for a parent to read, I guess. In real life I’m getting bagged because my husband and (other) family members weren’t mentioned. I can’t please everyone.😂

I’m still dealing with my own internal humiliation from week 1🤦‍♀️

I understand the producing  and editing game.  They always edit these shows hinky.  I just really get annoyed when contestants harp on one thing (or are shone to), in your case it was the Canada thing.  I'm sure you are probably a lovely person but the Canada references annoyed me (much like Larome mentioning his daughter so often in the first episode).  

I have to give you kudos for your attitude here.  I'm impressed with the maturity and good nature you are taking the hits.  I don't think I'd be that mature which is reason 6,430 why I could never do a reality show.

And the pink hair?  I just don't like it when adults have unnaturally colored hair.  I think it's a kids game.  But, hey, it's your hair.  

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 4

Most of us here, especially Televison Without Pity alum, let the snark fly. And I don't think people, in general, when commenting on reality shows really think of the people as "real." They're characters on a show.  So I hope you don't take it too personally @Sherrytheannoying.

If you don't mind, I'm curious who your favorite judge was, and what the filming schedule was like. Did you tape a show a day, a week? Something else?

• Love 10

I know everyone else has said this already, but I really don't know how anyone would have made that apple jolly rancher flavor work! I wish all shows did the "Masterclass" ala GBBO, because I'd love to see what Duff could make of that. Of course, he'd probably pick a normal flavor to work with. 

It happens on every one of these shows at some point -- the varied challenges screw one contestant and they end up going home (bad flavors, kids not knowing what the thing is, etc.). I feel like they should be better at making them even at this point. 

Thanks for commenting, @Sherrytheannoying!

• Love 6

Welcome Sherry! I hate the random flavors that get distributed to contestants. I'd prefer everyone get the same or similar flavors to work with and and see how people use them differently. And then you guys get dinged for not making the horrible flavors stand out. Sigh.

Glad you had fun and overall, it seems like a great, fun batch of contestants this year :)

• Love 5

Y'know, more than randomly assigning flavors, I really hate when they make them run for the ingredients. So stupid. The tall men always get there first, and the grabbiest get what they want. Just soooooo lame. I'd prefer a form of the Button Bag over the mad dash for ingredients any day.

Edited by carrps
ack...their is not there.
  • Love 19

I don't like the run of death for ingredients either.     I wonder if they would show if one contestants started roller derby methods, and started whacking the others right out of the way?    I also wish they would stop giving the first heat contestant a judge or guest star to help them, because that never turns out well.   The contestants just don't know how to effectively use the extra help to their advantage, and it adds nothing to the contest.      I wish they would tell them the twist at the beginning, if they have to do a twist at all.    Funky flavors they have to use that are pretty disgusting don't add anything either.  

• Love 9

One of my pet peeves with the show is the judges saying over and over, "I'm not getting xyz flavor," particularly Nancy.  You don't taste it?  Fine, then say that.  But this, "I'm not getting ginger," or whatever has no meaning and just sounds stupid.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Sherrytheannoying said:

That’s what I said afterward “SHOULD I HAVE THROWN IN REAL APPLE.?!?!” I was so mad at myself. Of course, after the pressure leaves, I came up with all of these other ideas, but I’m certain that the combo would never be a winning taste 😂 Yes, the whipped cream....electric green 😂 I made an espresso pate sucree and an espresso pastry cream, tossed those toasted biscotti crumbs on top and had the whip-describing it as a “latte”. I admit, the tart (without that apple), was pretty devine. Surprisingly subtle without being “in your face” in taste. The tart was consistent in thickness, delicate and the pastry cream was silky. Sorry, I digress😂

Oh, man, that does sound divine. And the day after Turkey Day I should NOT be hungry, dammit!

• Love 4
On 11/20/2018 at 5:58 PM, Spunkygal said:

If they’re going to throw these ridiculous surprise elements at the bakers, make it fair and have each of them use the same crappy ingredient.

I TOTALLY agree.  This was so unfair.  One person gets shortbread, and poor Sherry gets green apple, and a nasty version on top of that?!!

On 11/21/2018 at 10:57 AM, Sherrytheannoying said:

Thank you ☺️ That syrup tasted like a green jolly rancher. Still don’t know how to “make it work”

I was yelling at the TV "They better not judge her for the flavor of that syrup!!".  They did more then was fair.

• Love 3

The time limits are ridiculous for people that are supposed to do a theme baked dish, plus twists, and let everything cool before decorating.      The time limits even throw bakers that cater, and are used to quick food production.      However, I remember when Food Network had a show that was supposed to be teams of home bakers, and with mentors for each team, and one 'amateur' had won the Pillsbury Bakeoff contest, so there is no way that one was true.     I think when you win many thousands for a single contest, or like some who have been on other shows that compete all of the time, they aren't legitimate home bakers either.    

I think they should only take people with a lot of experience, and who have worked with time limits, and stop with the stupid flavoring twists.      And give them more time.  

Unfortunately, I bet real apple would be overpowered by that nasty Green Apple syrup.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7

I was so afraid they were sending Lerome home, but with all of the factors with Julia's cake she was the right choice.     At this point it's sad to see any of them go home, but I guess someone does.    I really would rather they kept everyone, ranked them each time, and picked the high score at the end.    That way one bad day wouldn't doom an otherwise good baker.  

• Love 15
45 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I was so afraid they were sending Lerome home, but with all of the factors with Julia's cake she was the right choice.     At this point it's sad to see any of them go home, but I guess someone does.    I really would rather they kept everyone, ranked them each time, and picked the high score at the end.    That way one bad day wouldn't doom an otherwise good baker.  

That would be an interesting scoring idea.  It would be nice for someone who just had an off day (or nasty syrup) to get a second chance.

• Love 13

I watched last night and was thoroughly bored, so I don't think I'll watch the remaining episodes.  Seems like it's Dan's year anyway.  Hate the last minute, "You must include smelly gym socks in your dessert!"  It looked like a couple of the bakers were going to have a meltdown and that isn't fun or pleasant to watch.  They do the same thing to the kids, and the kids bawl.  Why is this considered entertainment?

• Love 8

I really loved the past seasons of this show, and it was becoming a tradition with me. But this season is.... off imo. I LOVED season 3's Jason and Erin from season 1 I think? I would tune in to actively root for my favorite contestant. Last season, it started going downhill for me, with the contestant likeability factor. I think it almost seems as if they are trying so hard to bring in a mix of diverse cast (ages, backgrounds etc), rather than focusing on who can actually bake. 

1. There are hardly any likeable cast members. They just don't seem to have the "holiday spirit" as much as past contestants. They don't act as if they are having any FUN baking, and it isn't a pleasure to watch. It is actually just stressful. 

2. What is with some of these people and their lack of knowledge of basic holiday designs? I keep hearing "We don't have snowmen in my country, I don't know how to make one", or "I never made a wreath" or whatever the case may be. I am tuning in because I want to see an abundance of holiday cheer explode on my screen! I don't necessarily mean nativity scenes, but I DO want to see seasonal appropriate designs. I get it, it may not snow where you're from, but you can't goggle what a snowman looks like once you found out you are to appear on the show??? During the Halloween baking challenge this year I heard the same types of things- "I never saw a Jack-o-Lantern before"- well good thing you're not on a HALLOWEEN baking challenge, where I'm SURE you won't be asked to decorated a cake like one! *sarcasm. It is just frustrating to me.

3. I'm sick of the impossible challenges, flavor combos and twists the contestants are given. It is nearly impossible for them to finish all that nonsense with the small time frame they have! And it is resulting in garbage! And that isn't fun to watch at all, it is sad. That doesn't bring cheer to anyone during this season. I want to see pretty confections, not hot mess trash. There's a baking show on Netflix called "Nailed It!" if I wanted to watch crap being baked. I also used to like that some of the past contestants shared baking tips with the viewers, and as an amateur home baker, it was really helpful.  

4. I'm still upset they kicked that one girl off last week because the judges said green apple and coffee don't go together. Well DUH! Why do they give the contestants awful flavor combinations like that in the first place? That is not the contestants fault!

5. Last night was a horrible decision. The guy with the glasses that won the preheat had the best design with his winter birch tree. Hands DOWN. Old widower dude's design was barely a 4 out of 10. Couldn't even tell it was a window with ornaments in it! Looked like balloons on a sheet cake to me. My local Publix cakes look better. 

Don't think I'll watch any further, just stick to reruns of the last seasons. Very disappointed this year. I don't find it fun, relaxing nor am I entertained by any of the finished products. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Cammi said:

The guy with the glasses that won the preheat had the best design with his winter birch tree.

You must not have noticed it was brown.  Brown no makie Nancy happy.  Nancy thinks in basic thought blocks, like a preschooler.  Brown = poop.  Red and green = Christmas.  Poop loses every time. 

• Love 21
5 minutes ago, dahling said:

You must not have noticed it was brown.  Brown no makie Nancy happy.  Nancy thinks in basic thought blocks, like a preschooler.  Brown = poop.  Red and green = Christmas.  Poop loses every time. 

Funny.  Plus, she is not a happy camper unless the dessert is reeking of [insert alcohol here].

• Love 11

Phew I was afraid Lamore was going to get the boot.  So far in this competition he's making the deserts I want to eat, so I'd hate to see him go.  I wonder if his strengths don't lie in design, which would be a shame because in that finale looks have won over taste every season.  Holy Jolly Erin proved that with her awful tasting gingerbread that looked awesome.

Julia wasn't portrayed as a big A-Hole like she was on the cookie show, so at least she got to come back on TV and not be a pompous ass this time around.  That's a win for her.

I really like all of the contestants that are left.  I don't know what it is but ever since season 4 it doesn't seem like they do as much actual "baking".  Sure last nights episode they had to make a cake, but it seems like there is a lot of making a simple crust with a custard or mousse.  I think the show has been trying to have more challenging bakes, forcing the contestants to do that kind of stuff in the time period.  I don't see why they don't realize that baking in itself is it's own drama.  You can make something a hundred times and 101 have it fail.  

Edited by kj4ever
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Cammi said:

1. There are hardly any likeable cast members. They just don't seem to have the "holiday spirit" as much as past contestants. They don't act as if they are having any FUN baking, and it isn't a pleasure to watch. It is actually just stressful. 

Why do you say that, because Julia asked for a chair while she was baking? 🤣🤣

I couldn’t agree more about people who haven’t made choux pastry in years, don’t know what a snowman looks like, etc. Um, maybe figure these things out as soon as you make the cut for thr show.

Also don’t know why Lerome didn’t just look at the giant snowman figure that he took the card off of. 

Edited by Maya
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, dahling said:

I loathe Nancy !!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Cammi said:

2. What is with some of these people and their lack of knowledge of basic holiday designs? I keep hearing "We don't have snowmen in my country, I don't know how to make one", or "I never made a wreath" or whatever the case may be. I am tuning in because I want to see an abundance of holiday cheer explode on my screen! I don't necessarily mean nativity scenes, but I DO want to see seasonal appropriate designs. I get it, it may not snow where you're from, but you can't goggle what a snowman looks like once you found out you are to appear on the show??? During the Halloween baking challenge this year I heard the same types of things- "I never saw a Jack-o-Lantern before"- well good thing you're not on a HALLOWEEN baking challenge, where I'm SURE you won't be asked to decorated a cake like one! *sarcasm. It is just frustrating to me.

YES!  I wonder if many of these contestants wanted to be on a baking show...ANY baking show...and this is the one they got.  So many don't seem to have the holiday spirit; that's what made this so enjoyable in the past.

• Love 2

Luckily the holly twist was not that horrifying.  There were multiple different ways to add the edible holly to the cake without using fondant or gum paste so we got some variety which was kind of fun to see, as opposed to the biscotti crumbles last episode.  With the holly as a decorating element, that's an easy 'twist' because usually by the time the twist comes along, they've already put their dessert in the oven so they often have to add a whole other element to use whatever ridiculous thing they need to add. 

I do wish since it is the Holiday BAKING Championship and not the Holiday DESSERT Championship, they'd mix in some savory bakes. How about a Christmas morning quiche or Holiday dinner rolls or bread? I know these folks are primarily pastry bakers, but it would be nice to see some different types of things being baked. 

• Love 19
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, backgroundnoise said:

I remember the early seasons of this show and being impressed by the creations.  They made beautiful cake wreaths and pies.  Now the show has degenerated into a half-baked (see what I did there?) series of Chopped dessert rounds.  The mandatory extra flavors and combo and twist ingredients has sapped any real imagination and not allowed the bakers to showcase anything.  They are reduced to just making a bland tart-type thing that they can easily throw whatever the extra ingredient is on at the last minute.  Every episode is the same.  Boring.  Time for me to stop watching.

Green apple syrup lady was totally screwed.  I do admire her restraint in not saying, "Well, DUH" at the judges.

I just finished watching Season 3, and was, for the most part, not impressed with anything they did either.

Some of it is the short time the contestants are given.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:57 PM, Sherrytheannoying said:

Thank you ☺️ That syrup tasted like a green jolly rancher. Still don’t know how to “make it work” 🤷‍♀️

I like green jolly ranchers, but not in my coffee.  Hats off to you for being able to do anything with that flavor at all.

Edited by proserpina65
2 hours ago, Cammi said:

I keep hearing "We don't have snowmen in my country, I don't know how to make one",

and then later in the *same episode* he explained his decorations as "when I moved to Vermont....."  So damn, man, you SAW SNOWMEN! 

• Love 9

I think this show is doing the casting from a list of characters they want, and a quota for types, 2 home bakers, one or two older contestants, etc., and the emphasis on a story relating to their families with every baked good is silly.   My inspiration would be winning $50k, and getting famous to promote a bakery or catering company, not a story that often is either exaggerated, or borrowed from someone else.   

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, dleighg said:
2 hours ago, Cammi said:

I keep hearing "We don't have snowmen in my country, I don't know how to make one",

and then later in the *same episode* he explained his decorations as "when I moved to Vermont....."  So damn, man, you SAW SNOWMEN! 

I didn't think Lerome said that.  Duff made some crack about where was he from and he said Jamaica and Duff implied that means he didn't know what snowmen looked like.  To me his did look basically like snowmen. They had eyes and scarves around their necks. I guess he could have coated his puffs with powdered sugar or fondant to make them white. But with the exception of the Santas, none of them were super well decorated, as I recall.  

• Love 1

I'm a dissenter here but I thought Doug's birch tree was not appealing at all.  He was acting cocky and given extra time so I expected far more.  Sure, it fit an outdoorsy theme but not a holiday theme.  It's like he was committed somewhere in this competition, come hell or high water, to do a birch tree and symbolize his high school sweetheart (that she was surely watching so he'd get brownie points) and draw a heart with their initials, no matter what the theme was.  I'm not a Doug fan, though he is talented for sure.

Larome is my guy and I'm thrilled he wasn't eliminated.  I hope he wins the whole thing.  I won't miss Julia one bit, though her exit was warm and drama-free.  I was happy for Dan -- it was such a meaningful surprise to him and those garlands on the side were very pretty.  Sarah has a bit of RBF sometimes but I like her.

I'm also fond of all 3 judges.  They're different characters but that's what makes it fun for me.  Jesse has grown into his role too -- he fits in just fine.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

I didn't think Lerome said that.  Duff made some crack about where was he from and he said Jamaica and Duff implied that means he didn't know what snowmen looked like.  To me his did look basically like snowmen. They had eyes and scarves around their necks. I guess he could have coated his puffs with powdered sugar or fondant to make them white. But with the exception of the Santas, none of them were super well decorated, as I recall.  

Lerome said later on during the second challenge his inspiration for his cake was when they moved to Vermont.

I was so petrified that Jesse was going to say Lerome!  He said they were dissecting  THIS challenge and I'm like but Lerome has been fantastic nearly every other time it has to be body of work.  Phew!  No offense to Julia but that cake was bad.

Although what is wrong with cake tasting like birthday cake?  I like birthday cake.

So do the editors want us to not like Sarah or what with their subtitling “I hope it’s me.”  Because I did think that was kind of snotty, to say it out loud.

• Love 5

Why force all the bakers to make an eggnog cake?  All that did was guarantee six identical cakes.   I'd SO much rather watch them let loose to make their best, tastiest, prettiest cake.   Anything they want as long as it's a dessert table centerpiece.

I can't believe how much the judges gushed over those rather amateurish looking painted cakes.   Sorry, nothing I saw looked like it belonged in a bakery window.  I'm sure the bakers are much better than the show allows them to be.

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

I can't believe how much the judges gushed over those rather amateurish looking painted cakes.   Sorry, nothing I saw looked like it belonged in a bakery window.  I'm sure the bakers are much better than the show allows them to be.

Two hours is a completely inadequate time to make from scratch, cool, frost, and decorate a cake.  Failure to meet a professional standard is guaranteed. 

• Love 20
11 hours ago, Cammi said:

5. Last night was a horrible decision. The guy with the glasses that won the preheat had the best design with his winter birch tree. Hands DOWN. Old widower dude's design was barely a 4 out of 10. Couldn't even tell it was a window with ornaments in it! Looked like balloons on a sheet cake to me. My local Publix cakes look better.

Until he said it, I didn't have a clue what it was supposed to be.

This is the first year I'm watching this (because of Jesse Palmer, didn't know he hosted it last year), and I can't stand the "throw something in with 30 minutes to go". Ugh, just let them bake!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I'm a dissenter here but I thought Doug's birch tree was not appealing at all.  He was acting cocky and given extra time so I expected far more.  Sure, it fit an outdoorsy theme but not a holiday theme.  It's like he was committed somewhere in this competition, come hell or high water, to do a birch tree and symbolize his high school sweetheart (that she was surely watching so he'd get brownie points) and draw a heart with their initials, no matter what the theme was.  I'm not a Doug fan, though he is talented for sure.

Larome is my guy and I'm thrilled he wasn't eliminated.  I hope he wins the whole thing.  I won't miss Julia one bit, though her exit was warm and drama-free.  I was happy for Dan -- it was such a meaningful surprise to him and those garlands on the side were very pretty.  Sarah has a bit of RBF sometimes but I like her.

I'm also fond of all 3 judges.  They're different characters but that's what makes it fun for me.  Jesse has grown into his role too -- he fits in just fine.

You're not the only one.  I thought his cake looked just like a birch tree but there was little to no holiday in it.  I also thought it was a relatively easy idea, if you knew what a birch tree looked like.

I liked Chantals cake but thought it got a wee bit busy looking.

Honestly, I liked the little girl's cake the best.  It was festive but simple and well done.

I gasped when Laromes cake was sliding around.  That's what happens with such a short baking/ cooling/ decorating time.  That's why the bakes are either very simple (to give more time to decorate) or very plain (more time spent on taste).  

Does a cake cooled in a blast chiller lose texture?  I don't know, never had one.  I would think it may not be as moist?  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

1 hour ago, Destiny74 said:

You're not the only one.  I thought his cake looked just like a birch tree but there was little to no holiday in it.  I also thought it was a relatively easy idea, if you knew what a birch tree looked like.

My criticism was tangential to yours - I didn't feel it showed off "painting". Nancy has said "it's too brown" several times, which is silly. But when the whole point is to demonstrate an array of edible paints, yeah I want to see color. Were this a log cake challenge I'd have thought his was great.

4 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

Why force all the bakers to make an eggnog cake?  All that did was guarantee six identical cakes.   I'd SO much rather watch them let loose to make their best, tastiest, prettiest cake.   Anything they want as long as it's a dessert table centerpiece.

I can see that but then it's a very different competition entirely. Just people doing what their best pas idea was with no improvisation or new creativity. Heck, you'd probably get someone making an octopus cake and saying it's about nightmares or something. I'd rather see them invent within the confines of a new restriction. (Now as for having more time so they can put forth their best work, that I could go for.)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I liked Chantals cake but thought it got a wee bit busy looking.

Honestly, I liked the little girl's cake the best.  It was festive but simple and well done.

I gasped when Laromes cake was sliding around.  That's what happens with such a short baking/ cooling/ decorating time.  That's why the bakes are either very simple (to give more time to decorate) or very plain (more time spent on taste).  

Does a cake cooled in a blast chiller lose texture?  I don't know, never had one.  I would think it may not be as moist?  

Freezing actually traps the moisture in the cake.  When I make cupcakes I wrap them in plastic wrap as soon as I can bare to touch them and throw them in the freezer.  The fridge will dry them out, but the freezer stops it and traps all that steam coming out of them inside the cake.  Makes them super moist!

Although I thought it was very well done I also didn't think Doug's cake had anything to do with the holiday season.  It was a smart decision though because for the hand painting challenge that was by far the easiest look to achieve.

I like the girl who is not Chantal's cake the best.  I still don't know all these people's names...lol

• Love 3

I am a big fan of this show - that being said, there are several things I hate about this show.

1 - I hate the dynamic between Nancy and Lorraine. One of them needs to go. Nancy's constant where's the booze and blatant favoritism is getting on my nerves big time, but Lorraine's did you meet the challenge and half bites of the food is just as irritating!

2 - Where are they getting the contestants, and why are the contestants not prepared for the competition? How do you have a baker on a winter holiday baking show that doesn't know what a snowman looks like? Although I find Lerome not knowing what a snowman looks like to be a tad bit untruthful.

3 - Who decides what the challenge is each week, and why is so little time given?

My final thought, and I am sure very unpopular thought - Now that Lerome was in the bottom two, maybe he will quit being so pompous and arrogant. I really liked him in the beginning, but now his hubris is getting on my nerves!

• Love 5
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

So do the editors want us to not like Sarah or what with their subtitling “I hope it’s me.”  Because I did think that was kind of snotty, to say it out loud.

Yeah, why did they show that? Is she the next to go so that the producers get their favorite baker into the finale? And that has NEVER been done before, and I have watched every season several times!

• Love 1