Type keyword(s) to search

Season Five Episode Talk

I liked Nolan and was sorry to see him go but dang.................. he earned his elimination.  He must be someone who is used to taking his time with everything and just can't adjust to competition speed because I don't think his downfall was lack of knowledge or skill.  I'm pretty sure I could make four pie fillings in less time and I'm not a baker by a long shot.

I agree with those above who think that Douglas and the two Jamaicans are the best of the bunch.

• Love 4

Production/editing shenanigans.  No way a pumpkin pie sets with three minutes in the oven.

Pinkie Lee can make a good pie dough.  That's nice.  Oh, did you all hear?  She's from Canada.

Lorraine mentioned one of the crusts wasn't buttery.  Yeah, some aren't.  My Granny made the flakiest pie dough, because she used all lard (shortening).  All butter crusts tend to not be as flaky. I choose half and half and almost get the best of both worlds.  But yes, I've had some damn fine, non-buttery pie dough.

Loved the Jamacian connection and their pie.  Well done and the flavors sounded great.

Loved the lady (name?) who made the pear stuffed gingerbread.  Sounded soooooooooooooo good.

I was surprised Nolan went home.  His cake looked a hot mess and the mousse was soft but HE MADE CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRIES.  I thought that should've warranted a bit of a pass.  Not to mention the other guy probably won't be around much longer, he hasn't really done that well.

I did appreciate that the guy figured out he made a mistake by making small cakes and calmly and rationally came up with the Charlotte Royale idea, it was ingenious.

Douglas needs to be on the next season of Best Baker's.  

• Love 5
On 11/13/2018 at 2:28 PM, mlp said:

I liked Nolan and was sorry to see him go but dang.................. he earned his elimination.  He must be someone who is used to taking his time with everything and just can't adjust to competition speed because I don't think his downfall was lack of knowledge or skill.  I'm pretty sure I could make four pie fillings in less time and I'm not a baker by a long shot.

I agree with those above who think that Douglas and the two Jamaicans are the best of the bunch.

Sames!  I know Nolan was a hot mess but I really liked him.  He seemed so subdued this week compared to last so I was wondering if he didn’t feel well.

I love Lerome and Chantal too and want to try all four of their pies.

Douglas really feels like the one to beat but how did Lerome’s cake get dinged for looking too Halloween but not a peep was made that Douglas’s cake didn’t look like any holiday at all?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, jlc said:

Yes! She was very arrogant on the show, and I was so glad she did not win!

I don't think I've ever wanted anyone to lose so badly as I did in her episode. She was a complete a-hole on that show. They just reran it the other night and I remembered where I saw her from and how much I couldn't stand her.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, kj4ever said:

I don't think I've ever wanted anyone to lose so badly as I did in her episode. She was a complete a-hole on that show. They just reran it the other night and I remembered where I saw her from and how much I couldn't stand her.

This exactly!!! When I rewatched her the other night, I was like "man that lady is a bi***" and now when I see her on the Holiday Baking Show all I can think is when is she getting canned?! 

• Love 1
On 11/13/2018 at 9:31 AM, Ilovecomputers said:

My only question was for the cake with the whole pears in the middle.  It didn't look like the pears were cored and she left the stems on too when she put it in the oven. 

She did core them with a melon baller. She also poached them in ginger beer. She left the stems on but they were at the top. I'd have removed them myself.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 4
On 11/13/2018 at 11:07 AM, proserpina65 said:

I'm from Maryland, and most people I know say "puh-can" so I don't know where I picked it up.  Probably SC.

I say it both ways depending on my mood. I'm born and raised SoCalifornian.

21 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Lorraine mentioned one of the crusts wasn't buttery.  Yeah, some aren't.  My Granny made the flakiest pie dough, because she used all lard (shortening).  All butter crusts tend to not be as flaky. I choose half and half and almost get the best of both worlds.  But yes, I've had some damn fine, non-buttery pie dough.

That's what I was trying to tell her, too. I don't mind a non-buttery pie crust -- flakiness is more important to me there. And I LOOOOOVE butter. With a butter crust it's almost more like shortbread, which has its points, but I really prefer a lard/shortening flaky crust for pie.

Sherry/Sharon was toned down this week, but she still had to remind people she's Canadian. Why doesn't she tattoo a maple leaf on her forehead?

Douglas seems like a good person, as well as an awesome baker. I'm rooting for him. Larome (sp?) and Chantal, I agree, are the other ones to beat. Sara seems sweet without being too fakey cutesy. Charlotte Russe guy seems nice, but doesn't seem to have the speed or competitive edge. I didn't see the cookie show with the Brazilian lady, but she seem mostly o.k. and fairly talented. Maybe she saw herself and learned a few things (which always reminds me of Tiffany from Top Chef Season 1).

Edited by carrps
no need for extra words
  • Love 2

I kinda liked Oh Canada this week. She had a cute rapport going with Jesse. Her pie crust with vodka sounded interesting and I'd totally try that if I was going to make my own crust. I won't though cause I'm too lazy for that.

I guess I've made my peace with Nancy cause I thought her "My mama said if you don't have anything nice to say..." was funny. Honestly her and Lorraine don't irritate me like they used to. I don't know if it's them or me. I don't have a clear favorite yet but if I had to guess I'd say it will probably be Jamaican lady. It's much too early for me to know names yet.

• Love 5
On 11/11/2018 at 10:04 PM, CharlizeCat said:

She IS turning into Giada. LOL!

My husband calls Giada "tits and teeth." We can't stand her, and I won't watch anything she is in. Nancy Fuller is just not pleasant to listen to. She comes off as a character with a role to play, and it's not believable.

• Love 4

I finally got to watch episode 2.  Add me as someone who's shocked that Nolan got eliminated.  He was the only one that seemed likable and quirky.  But as others have pointed out, girlfriend was a hot mess and just couldn't deal with the time management required for a show like this apparently.  The dude he was up against at the end should really be the next to go, he seems somewhat dense and always makes mistakes but then skates under the radar.

I didn't like these challenges at all.  I was getting dizzy with all the different pie flavors.  This was also the first time I've really seen a "stuffed cake" where the stuffing is poached fruit.  Are these trendy somewhere?

Other than Nancy's hair looking like freshly baled hay, I can't say much about the judges this round.   Did anyone else notice that they are starting to capture Nancy's tasting bites like they do with Duff's?  I guess they need to make up for Lorraine's mediocre fork-licking.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

This was also the first time I've really seen a "stuffed cake" where the stuffing is poached fruit.  Are these trendy somewhere?

They really need to stop with the “stuffed cakes” on this show. I didn’t like the idea when they were stuffed with hard candies that fell out and rolled around the plate, but I also don’t like fruit in there making the surrounding cake wet and mushy. Gross. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Maya said:

They really need to stop with the “stuffed cakes” on this show. I didn’t like the idea when they were stuffed with hard candies that fell out and rolled around the plate, but I also don’t like fruit in there making the surrounding cake wet and mushy. Gross. 

I agree.  When I first saw the candy stuffed cakes, I thought it was a cute idea for a kid's party cake or something, but that's about it.   

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Frost said:

I wasn’t a Sherry fan, but green apple and coffee?  She was doomed from the get go.  Who on earth would willingly pour green apple syrup in their coffee?  I’m trying to imagine what she could possibly make that would have worked.

Totally agree. Whoever got the green apple was set up for failure. I would never ever pick green apple or even blackberry flavoring for coffee.

• Love 14

Yeah, I too want to bitch about green apple and coffee. I love both of those separately but together? Ick. I'm gonna miss O Canada. When they brought out the stupid twist she said she was over it. You and me both sister.

• Love 12

I think the biggest issue with the green apple syrup is that it apparently had a nasty taste, and didn't taste like apples at all.     

My guess is that there is only one hair person for the three judges, and Jesse, and one makeup person, so I bet it's one person's taste, and that's why everyone's makeup looks rather similar.   

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Maya said:

The judges kept complaining that green apple and coffee don’t go together. Of course they don’t, and SHE DIDN'T PICK THE FLAVORS! Really unfair.

I was actually worried about the guy who got rootbeer too, but thankfully he made it work.

That is exactly right!  Totally unfair!  Boo!  Hiss!  I wasn't a fan of hers, but she was in a no-win situation.  If she had tried to mask the flavor or used it in a "subtle" way she would have been dinged for that.

It would have been right to send the older white guy home.  Yes, I know he lost his wife, and that makes us all very sad, but why does he get so many second chances?  Last week in the preheat he made a cheesecake and it was awful.  In the main run, he made another cheesecake "to show the judges I know how to make a cheesecake."  This week in the preheat he makes a tart and the crust is raw, baby.  So, like a broken record, he makes another tart "to show the judges I know how to make a tart." 

I'm not a professional chef, but I see so many of these bakers pouring ingredients on top of raw pastry.  Do they think the underlying pastry will bake anyway?  Wouldn't it be more probable that the raw pastry and the filling will just turn in to one big mashed up mess?  Anyone who serves raw pastry should be shown the door; it could be a health hazard to serve that.

Have to laugh at all the times I've seen the bakers pulling their desserts out of the oven without oven mitts or hot pads.  Uh huh.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Lorraine scraping the fork on her teeth drives me nuts. Take a bite, lady! 🙄

I've seen Lorraine take bites of the desserts... and think some of the fork scraping is just her re-tasting the dish. I also think her eating style has more to do with trying not to ruin her lipstick than her not wanting to eat ala-Giada. She's a former model who probably never changed her habits after having to preserve her makeup while snacking at a photo shoot.

• Love 4

I still miss Bobby Dean hosting this show – he was a dork and he owned it.   But I have to say that Jessie is slowly growing on me.   He is much more relaxed this season and seems to be enjoying his interactions with the contestants.  So far, I don’t really dislike anyone and even have three to root for (Douglas and the guy and lady from Jamaica. 

• Love 6

Julia's accent was bugging me this episode.  In some of her talking heads she just seemed to be laying it on thick, while in heat of the moment comments she wasn't.  I don't know, it seemed like she was making a 'persona' choice rather than just speaking naturally.  I don't remember her accent altering like that in prior episodes.

I think they should just get rid of the cannon fodder and have a multi-episode throw down between Larome and Douglas.  That would be fascinating to watch.  They just seem vastly more talented than any of the other bakers.  I would have put Chantal in that group too, but she had a pretty bad day.  

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I can't believe that Sarah only used Duff to draw leaves on the plate that ultimately had no bearing on the dessert.

and how long could that possibly have taken him?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

and how long could that possibly have taken him?

Apparently 10 minutes because from what we saw, he was still working on them when the host told him his time was up. I am on the fence about the 10 extra minutes of help.  The winner of that advantage never seems to know how to use it to their best advantage. 

15 hours ago, rocketinu said:

Totally agree. Whoever got the green apple was set up for failure. I would never ever pick green apple or even blackberry flavoring for coffee.

I must have dozed off during the episode. How did they get the syrups they got? Randomly?  I agree with all who said it seemed patently unfair since it was such a weird (and bad tasting) syrup.  On the flip side, didn't Lerome get a berry flavor and won with it? Or was his syrup shortcake syrup? (Is that a syrup?) 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I can't believe that Sarah only used Duff to draw leaves on the plate that ultimately had no bearing on the dessert.

That was about stupid!  A pro could make a component for the dessert in 10 minutes.  Hell I could make a component for a dessert in 10 minutes..

The lady that left bugged the ever loving crap out of me, so I'm okay with the fact that she was royally screwed and in a no win situation lol

• Love 6

I drink my coffee extra strong and black, so the whole concept of adding syrups is a mystery to me. But *ALL* of them sounded disgusting. Though some were better, I suppose, than others. I could probably stomach the shortbread and peanut butter. 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I drink my coffee extra strong and black, so the whole concept of adding syrups is a mystery to me. 

I do as well, and I agree.  I'm trying to think of how else she could've used that green apple syrup instead of the whipped cream -- possibly to flavor a cookie?  It was definitely a no-win situation.  Perhaps when she grabbed it, she thought it was mint or lime.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1

Coffee is foul as hell and biscottis aren’t much better but I would try Lerome’s dessert post haste.

I know he talks about his daughter a lot but I love him.  I would be fully on board a showdown between Douglas and him.

Sarah’s peanut butter ooze on top was super gross-looking.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, penbrat said:

I still miss Bobby Dean hosting this show – he was a dork and he owned it.   But I have to say that Jessie is slowly growing on me.   He is much more relaxed this season and seems to be enjoying his interactions with the contestants.  So far, I don’t really dislike anyone and even have three to root for (Douglas and the guy and lady from Jamaica. 

Jessie is growing on me.  He seems to have the same ability to laugh and good on himself as Bobby did.  I still miss Bobby though.

6 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

No one, I repeat NO ONE, has ever used the 10 minutes with the judge prize well.  They always have them make decoration.  Heck, I would've have him make the crunch layer.  I bet it wouldn't have been so dense.

Green apple syrup in coffee?  Uh, no.  I think I would've gone the route of a pastry wrapped baked apple thing with coffee cream or something.  The judges all dinged her on the flavors not going together.  As much as I didn't like her, that was totally not her fault.  And I think this was the first episode where she didn't mention Canada.  Maybe that's what did her in?  😋

As soon as they brought out the biscotti I said there'd be at least four crumbles...man can I call it.  Sorry, but Brazilian Baker's cookie was just a crumble all mushed back into a shape.

Root beer is nasty anyway, so I felt for the one guy.  But I guess his tasted good.  I'd hate it...root beer...yuck!

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

As soon as they brought out the biscotti I said there'd be at least four crumbles...man can I call it.  Sorry, but Brazilian Baker's cookie was just a crumble all mushed back into a shape.

yeah, Duff was a bit over the top on that. Brilliant? Eh.

• Love 3

It was funny watching Jesse working in his natural habitat during the college football ranking show.  I wasn’t looking at the TV and was like hey where do I know that voice from?  I’ll always be fond of a former NY Giants QB.

And his joke that made Chantal internally roll her eyes, that I can’t remember at the moment, made me laugh.  He has a very soothing voice for something like this.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Destiny74 said:

Jessie is growing on me.  He seems to have the same ability to laugh and good on himself as Bobby did.  I still miss Bobby though.

I like the way Jesse gets the judges back on track during judging. "How 'bout we taste it, judges?" LOL

• Love 5

I remember the early seasons of this show and being impressed by the creations.  They made beautiful cake wreaths and pies.  Now the show has degenerated into a half-baked (see what I did there?) series of Chopped dessert rounds.  The mandatory extra flavors and combo and twist ingredients has sapped any real imagination and not allowed the bakers to showcase anything.  They are reduced to just making a bland tart-type thing that they can easily throw whatever the extra ingredient is on at the last minute.  Every episode is the same.  Boring.  Time for me to stop watching.

Green apple syrup lady was totally screwed.  I do admire her restraint in not saying, "Well, DUH" at the judges.

• Love 10

I really do love Lerome and I’m glad he won that challenge but green apple syrup and shortbread aren’t even in the same universe as something you would consider in coffee.  I mean, people dunk donuts in coffee and shortbread is in the family.

But making coffee taste like apple?  Would anyone on earth ever do that voluntarily?  No.  Especially not radioactive green apple flavoring that probably tasted like a mixture of corn syrup and cough syrup.

• Love 9

If they’re going to throw these ridiculous surprise elements at the bakers, make it fair and have each of them use the same crappy ingredient. And give the winner of the prebake an extra 15 minutes or so as an advantage. But none of them has ever used Duff in a wise way, so screw that. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Sherrytheannoying said:

I really should have gone the first episode.

I don't know if this is really Sherry, but as I was reading the comments, I felt like I was watching a different show than everybody else because I thought Sherry was hysterical and was bummed she was the one to go home. Her interactions with Jessie were so funny. If I ate sweets, I'd love to go to her house for a cup of BLACK coffee and dessert, no green apple syrup.

• Love 8

I liked Sherry too. I thought she was funny and natural when talking to Jesse. As far as the Canada thing, you know these shows play up things about the contestants. That's just what they do. It doesn't bother me. Stupid twists are what bother me. Honestly, playing up something about the contestants helps me remember them because I'm terrible with names.

If that really is Sherry, Hey Girl!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sherrytheannoying said:

It’s just Sherry. I’ll pass on the tat. I think I’m too old for that at this point in my life. Honestly, in real life, I don’t shove where I’m from, down people’s throats. But yes, I’m definitely not everyone’s cup of tea.

So fun to have you here on PTV - welcome!  I thought you were warm and had a great sense of humor without being OTT.  What a cool experience!  Not sure if this is a comfort, but truly, it sure seemed like whoever got stuck with the green apple syrup was going to be in a real bind.  

• Love 3