Type keyword(s) to search

Season Five Episode Talk

Season 5 begins Monday, November 5. Same host and judges as last year. Jesse’s ok but I wish we had John Henson as host.

In the first episode, pumpkin spice is featured in the pre-heat and in the main heat, bakers must combine a Yule log with a classic holiday treat.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Too bad they couldn't replace Nancy Fuller with, well, almost anyone (other than Ree Drummond).

Gesine Prado would be my pick. I see that she will be a judge alongside Ree Ree on one of the upcoming episodes of Christmas Cookie Challenge. But one episode of Gesine is not enough for me! She sure knows her baking! 

• Love 4

I can't believe Sharon didn't get kicked off.  Her PEE-ken pie looked horrible and didn't seem to wow any of the judges, versus blue haired woman with a salty crunch garnish?  Are they just keeping her because she's a home cook?  

• Love 7

Oh my gosh, if that woman would have mentioned Canada one more time, I was going to shoot the TV ala Elvis Presley.  "I'm from Toronto, you know."  "Incorporating a maple leaf because I'm from Canada."  "Have to use maple syrup because I'm from Canada."  I thought she failed in the preheat and was sure she would be given the boot, but no luck.  That blue hair on the booted one hurt my eyes to look at.  Why would someone want to look like a smurfette?  I've seen some purple hair that looks attractive but I have yet to see the blue or green hair look good on anyone but a troll doll I had as a child.  Where I'm from, we say "pea CON" and "Colo ROD-o."  Wonder how these regional variations ever took place...  Duff is engaged now.  He looks really happy.  Thought that rocket-ship looking yule log was cool.  I predict the next to go will be the twice doomed cheesecake guy.  My husband was exasperated with the one guy.  "Why is he wearing a robe?"  I told him he has magical powers.  They won't send him home anytime soon because he is so different.

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 2

I like that they gave the mashup as the initial challenge, & the brandy as the twist. The brandy issue-apparently none of them have made fruit cake(yes, I get orders for this a lot), or brandy balls. Although it depends on what brandy they were using, some have a higher alcohol%. It was a twist that they all could easily incorporate.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

They won't send him home anytime soon because he is so different.

This is my biggest complaint about these shows.  They encourage people to act outrageous or bitchy or perky or whatever their 'brand' is, as opposed to you know, focusing on their BAKING.  That's why the original recipe Great British Bake Off is the best reality show ever!!!! IMHO lol

• Love 13

Kinda happy Salty Smurf is gone.  The “lookatmeee, I am a rebel arty type!” rainbow colored hair some contestants have just bugs me for irrational reasons.  Looking at her cutesy, dyed-to-match blue hued food week after week would be too much for me to take.

I wouldn’t last very long on any show “judged” by Nancy.  If she ever told me there wasn’t enough of the <<surprise!>> alcohol element in my bake, I douse her serving with a puddle of cognac/brandy/schnapps, and set it on fire.  Bet she’d feel the burn of that bourbon as it flambés those stupid glasses perched on her head.

That Brazilian ganache (not the right name, but I can’t remember what she called it) looked awesome!  I need to look up that recipe when I figure out the proper name.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

In the East, we pronounce it "pea-kan" ;)

I grew up in western New York and always said it that way but, when I moved to the Midwest, I found that people looked at me like I'd come from a shack on a dirt road somewhere so I learned to say puh-kahn'.  Now that sounds better to me.  

I took an instant dislike to the woman with the ridiculous and pretentious blue hair so I was glad to see her go.  I don't like nose rings either but I think that woman will be around for awhile.  I like the rest of them so far.  

I wonder why FN can't provide their hosts with jackets that fit properly.  I kept expecting the button on Jesse's coat to pop off.  Watching him reminded me of Scott Conant's too small and ill-fitting jackets on the Greatest Bakers show.

Nancy Fuller promises to be as obnoxious as ever.  I love Duff.

• Love 4

Nancy Fuller's voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Her singsong delivery makes me stabby.

Too many contestants for me to pick favorites yet but I want the home baker to go next. I'm a home baker and she's making us look bad.

• Love 7

I find it hard to believe that the show can't find home bakers that are better than most of the ones we've had on the show.    I'm also over the freaky hair colors.   I just keep imagining finding one of those blue or neon red hairs on top of a dessert, and almost hurl.    My guess is the producers are picking contestants that are more characters, and I wish they would just go for the best qualified.   I wish more of the contestants would have their hair confined so it's not whipping around so much.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Kinda happy Salty Smurf is gone.  The “lookatmeee, I am a rebel arty type!” rainbow colored hair some contestants have just bugs me for irrational reasons.  Looking at her cutesy, dyed-to-match blue hued food week after week would be too much for me to take.

I wouldn’t last very long on any show “judged” by Nancy.  If she ever told me there wasn’t enough of the <<surprise!>> alcohol element in my bake, I douse her serving with a puddle of cognac/brandy/schnapps, and set it on fire.  Bet she’d feel the burn of that bourbon as it flambés those stupid glasses perched on her head.

That Brazilian ganache (not the right name, but I can’t remember what she called it) looked awesome!  I need to look up that recipe when I figure out the proper name.

Brigadeiro ganache.  It is awesome.  I've only made Brigadeiro truffles, never used it as a ganache but I'm sure it's just as amazing.

• Love 5

It always annoys me that Lorraine takes such tiny bites of the desserts that you can barely see any on the fork (much like Giada on Food Network Star).  I love that Duff takes big bites and his looking up at the ceiling expression while he's tasting it.

At least on this one, even the home bakers seem somewhat competent, and the outrageous characters weren't quite as outrageous as the Halloween baking championship.  At the very least, no one instantly annoyed me like a few contestants on Halloween.

• Love 7

It drives me bonkers when Lorraine will say something like “I can’t taste the pumpkin spice” and Duff will say “really it was very flavorful” like ugh isn’t it possible you two have different palates?  It happens a lot and irritates me irrationally.

(Not as bad as one of the Halloween baking shows where they made them make something with ginger and the guy in the middle bitched every time that he hates ginger.  It wasn’t their fault all their desserts tasted like that!)

I get that Nolan is a bit extra but I like him.  His “I wish I had hair so I could flip it” made me laugh.

I love the Brazilian lady!  She seems fun.  

• Love 6
6 hours ago, mlp said:

I grew up in western New York and always said it that way but, when I moved to the Midwest, I found that people looked at me like I'd come from a shack on a dirt road somewhere so I learned to say puh-kahn'.  Now that sounds better to me.  

I seem to recall someone saying that there's somewhere in the South where people also pronounce it "pea-kan".  Perhaps someone can confirm.

Why is it that every challenge show on FN has one contestant with colorful hair?

• Love 1

Just some random thoughts...

Larome, I like you right now.  But you must stop talking about your daughter every time you open your mouth.

If a host talks in the middle of a timed challenge, does anyone hear him?

I'm wondering if Pinkie Lee is Canadian? ? Hadn't heard.

Everybody and their mother are making yule logs because that's the damn challenge.

Glad super cool Smurfy Smurf went home.  Now, just eliminate Pinkie Lee and I am good to go.

• Love 9

Hey, first episode down and I don't really hate anyone?!  That's great!  Agree that Jesse seems to be doing a better job this year, he's more pleasant and engaged with the contestants.  Had to laugh at hilaryvm's comment because I couldn't help but notice the same thing.  Lorraine always takes a tiny, tiny bite.  Duff takes a huge bite and looks to the heavens.  Nancy takes a medium-sized bite and stares creepily at the contestant.  At least they're consistent :)

• Love 8
23 hours ago, mlp said:

I wonder why FN can't provide their hosts with jackets that fit properly.  I kept expecting the button on Jesse's coat to pop off.  Watching him reminded me of Scott Conant's too small and ill-fitting jackets on the Greatest Bakers show.

Nancy Fuller promises to be as obnoxious as ever.  I love Duff.

Those tight-fitting suits are the style now. I first noticed it about a year ago when watching Colbert's show. His suits were really snug. And all his male guests (who were wearing suits) had really snug-fitting ones, too. I was having a laugh at men having to deal with silly fashion edicts while they were tugging and pulling at their too tight suits.

Your last sentence? Amen.

I knew they wouldn't get rid of the home baker in the first episode. They get sympathy points. It's irksome. I sure wouldn't like being graded on a curve like that. If they really want home bakers, why not do a competition just for them? Or, as someone mentioned, get ones who can actually bake at a professional level!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

Larome, I like you right now.  But you must stop talking about your daughter every time you open your mouth.

IKR... plus is just me or doesn't he have TWO daughters? The other one doesn't inspire him too? Lol!

• Love 1
On 11/5/2018 at 11:48 PM, Frost said:

I can't believe Sharon didn't get kicked off.  Her PEE-ken pie looked horrible and didn't seem to wow any of the judges, versus blue haired woman with a salty crunch garnish?  Are they just keeping her because she's a home cook?  

Her name is Sherry. And it also was under baked, so I am not happy to see her back on the show.

Do you also think Sherry should have been the one sent home?

More questions: Is anyone still annoyed with Nancy Fuller? The obnoxious behavior, the glasses-over-her-head hairstyle, etc? Please stop with the behavior, Nancy, it’s annoying. I know you’re 69 years old!

If you were to pick a new set of judges on this show, who would they be?

Who is your favorite contestant right now? Is it unique little Julia with the accent, or awesome Lebron (is that his name?) who always cares about his daughter?

Thoughtful responses:

22 hours ago, Little Sun said:

Sherry Clark immediately annoyed me, as well as Sarah Lucia Tafur.  First thing out of Sarah's mouth was "I never heard of pumpkin spice - did it come from a pumpkin?"   Where do they get these people?? 

My response to Sarah would be “Hey, you know there’s a thing called Google. You know how to get to it? Go to your iPad, click on the Safari link, and search for ‘origination of pumpkin spice’.”

Sherry Clarke doesn’t really annoy me. In fact, none of the bakers annoy me that much. Just the underbaked cake and the poor decorations.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:24 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've read that Giada only tastes the tiny bit off the fork, and then spits it out.   At least Lorraine really tastes what she takes.  

I think Lorraine is imitating Giada because she wants to lose weight (+ that’s a way to lose really good weight)! And she already is nice and thin so no need for the tiny bites! I believe some people do get inspired by people eating tiny bites of food at a time to lose weight, and sometimes if you try it with a man he will probably lose a lot more weight than a woman.

10 minutes ago, Simon47 said:

More questions: Is anyone still annoyed with Nancy Fuller?

I am always annoyed by Nancy Fuller.  She tries really hard to be cute and it's just unseemly at her age.  I don't think she contributes anything at all on a professional level.

If you were to pick a new set of judges on this show, who would they be?

Duff for sure.  I would adore having Ron Ben-Israel back but I guess he's on the outs with FN for some reason.  Sherry Yard.  Any of the finalists from the great bakers show.  

Who is your favorite contestant right now?

I like the guy with all the ugly sweaters.  He seems to know what he's doing and he has a sense of humor.

I don't have anyone's name sorted out yet.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2018 at 5:14 PM, mojoween said:

It drives me bonkers when Lorraine will say something like “I can’t taste the pumpkin spice” and Duff will say “really it was very flavorful” like ugh isn’t it possible you two have different palates?  It happens a lot and irritates me irrationally.

Everytime Loraine mentions that she can't taste something, I say "Maybe you should try taking a bigger bite"  If you are tasting food, you need to have enough food in your mouth to actually taste it and, if you have been tasting many dishes, you need to taste enough that you no longer taste the food you tasted earlier (I wonder if she eats or drinks anything to cleanse her palate).  

• Love 15

All of the obligatory contestants seem to be in place this season.  Token gay, token black man, token black lady, token latina, etc etc. They seem less OTT than the previous seasons in terms of mugging for the camera and being excessively dramatic.  Nolan is "extra" but actually tolerable.  If he stays around to the end, I am sure he'll eventually be wearing a wig so he can flip some hair.  I'm OK with Smurfette leaving as I think they should only allow one contestant to have an unnatural hair color.

It also still bothers me that they mix professionals and home bakers in this competition with the slant to professionals.  With that said, I'd never guess that some of these are professionals if we weren't told.  I get that they are under pressure, but some of the mistakes and choices just seem massively amateur.  

I wish they bring Bobby Dean back.  Jesse is like the "cute jock in High School", but that's pretty much all he is.  The fact that his jokes fall flat isn't even humorous.  In some of the close-ups, he looks a bit rough.....

Oh poor Nancy....   she was looking good there for a while, maybe last season?  Her hair was soft and the cut framed her face and she only had the glasses maybe 10% of the time.  I guess she has a new stylist.  The glasses are back and the hair is way too bleach blonde.   I have a feeling they apply heavy makeup only because that's Lorainne's style and she'd look really bad in comparison.  I actually think Duff wears eyeliner and mascara too.  His eyelashes are freakishly long in the profile shots.

Duff and Valerie make a good combo and he seems to "fit" judging a Kid's show.  This one, not so much.  Well, I'll take him over Guy any day.

I'll bet the executive chef from the Ritz in Naples will be in the finale..... Also probably Nolan just because he's quirky/interesting.  Aside from that, it's too early to tell.

I almost forgot, at least the "twist" was something that was fairly easy to incorporate.   Usually, it's the oddest thing imaginable and the judges get all pissy when they don't like how it's included.

• Love 5

I thought Nancy didn't look her best, either. Too much bronzer/spray tan and her hair was too light. It looked like whoever did the makeup used the same color palette for both women. Uh ... that doesn't usually work.  Lorraine looked like she'd either gotten very WHITE veneers or had her teeth whitened. They nearly blinded me. She IS turning into Giada. LOL!

And here we go again with Nancy whining about the lack of booze. I'm SO over her ... 

I was disappointed to see Nancy back. Gesine Prado would be so much better. She can be quirky and lots of fun but she's also a professional.

It's way too early for me to form any opinion about the contestants or the desserts they made. I figured when Smurfette made the comment about how much she liked salt, that was a red flag that she was doomed to go home.

• Love 6

Dear Lord, Nancy never has anything nice to say, does she? She also comes off as a piece of work in this month's Food Network Magazine. There's a grid where all of the FN personalities talk about what Thanksgiving looks like in their homes , and Nancy's Thanksgiving seems so stuffy and rigid that I'd rather eat McDonald's than go to her house. I 

I'm at least liking all of the contestants so far. They all seem to be friendly and hard-working. I'd eat anything they made for me (and I wouldn't complain, Nancy!).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

I knew I knew her something.  Everytime I hear her voice i think i know it. 

She was very off-putting on that show.  She must've gotten a bad rap and came back to redeem her image because she is much nicer now.

• Love 3

I want the recipe for the chocolate/banana/toffee/coconut/rum pie made by the two Jamaicans.  They are both amazing bakers.  FN should have the bakers wear nametags so we can all learn their names faster.  Wasn't surprised to see the guy with the robe go home.  In the preheat they had, what, an hour and a half to make four pies in one pan?  With ten minutes to go they still didn't have their crust in the oven?  What in the world were they doing?  In the next go-round he was doing I don't know what and ran out of time.  Then he put the Lincoln logs on the sides of his dessert again.  Looked like strips of bacon.  My only question was for the cake with the whole pears in the middle.  It didn't look like the pears were cored and she left the stems on too when she put it in the oven.  Would the pears cook down that much?  Why would you leave on the stems on?  I don't want a bite of stem or core, thank you very much.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

She was very off-putting on that show.  She must've gotten a bad rap and came back to redeem her image because she is much nicer now.

Yes! She was very arrogant on the show, and I was so glad she did not win!

• Love 3

I'm surprised and happy that Nolan is gone!  Surprised because he was a 'character' and thought the show would hang on to him as long as possible.  Happy because he really tanked this week.  I wonder if nerves got him, or maybe he was sick?  He did well last week and really was off this week.  I couldn't believe they didn't get their pie crust in the oven.  How could he make such a rookie mistake?

Sherry redeemed herself (slightly) this week.  Apparently her pie crusts are really good!

Douglas, Lerome, and Chantal (?) look like locks for the final.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, Frost said:

That garnish must've been really salty.

I say "Pee-can".

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, Rammchick said:

I seem to recall someone saying that there's somewhere in the South where people also pronounce it "pea-kan".  Perhaps someone can confirm.

The Grand Strand in South Carolina