Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite 1990s Songs

Simon47
  • Start Topic

I loved so many of the female singer-songwriters from this decade. Alanis Morissette, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Fiona Apple... Songs like Tori Amos' "Spark" and Paula Cole's "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" were big favorites of mine as well.

A few other favorites from this decade include:

"Kiss Me"-Sixpence None The Richer

"Mary Jane's Last Dance"-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

"California Love"-2Pac

"Gangsta's Paradise"-Coolio (both because it's a good song in its own right and because it gave us Weird Al's "Amish Paradise", which I also love :D)

"No Diggity"-Blackstreet

"No Scrubs"-TLC (their music in general was great)

"Always Be My Baby"-Mariah Carey

"The Boy is Mine"-Brandy and Monica

"Ava Adore"-Smashing Pumpkins

"Wonderwall"-Oasis

"Groove is in the Heart"-Deee-Lite

And of course, anything by the Spice Girls, Hanson, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera (she kinda came in at the very tail end of the '90s, but still) :). I could seriously go on and on with this decade, so much good stuff came out during it. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:17 PM, Annber03 said:

I loved so many of the female singer-songwriters from this decade. Alanis Morissette, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Fiona Apple... Songs like Tori Amos' "Spark" and Paula Cole's "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" were big favorites of mine as well.

A few other favorites from this decade include:

"Kiss Me"-Sixpence None The Richer

"Mary Jane's Last Dance"-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

"California Love"-2Pac

"Gangsta's Paradise"-Coolio (both because it's a good song in its own right and because it gave us Weird Al's "Amish Paradise", which I also love :D)

"No Diggity"-Blackstreet

"No Scrubs"-TLC (their music in general was great)

"Always Be My Baby"-Mariah Carey

"The Boy is Mine"-Brandy and Monica

"Ava Adore"-Smashing Pumpkins

"Wonderwall"-Oasis

"Groove is in the Heart"-Deee-Lite

And of course, anything by the Spice Girls, Hanson, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera (she kinda came in at the very tail end of the '90s, but still) :). I could seriously go on and on with this decade, so much good stuff came out during it. 

That video with Tom Petty "dancing" with a deceased Kim Basinger freaked me out as a kid! Lol.

Aaliyah - One in a Million and Are You That Somebody?

Everything But the Girl - Missing (even though it was played to death back in the day)

Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High

Lisa Stansfield - All Around the World (technically it was released in 1989 in the UK, but it came out in the States the next year)

Meredith Brooks - Bitch

En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) and Free Your Mind

Also anything by No Doubt (Tragic Kingdom was the first CD I ever bought and I still listen to that original copy), Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, TLC and Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill.

• Love 5
Just now, rmcrae said:

That video with Tom Petty "dancing" with a deceased Kim Basinger freaked me out as a kid! Lol.

It's a creepy video! I didn't see it until I was an adult, myself, but yeah, I can totally see where it'd scare a kid. 

Aaliyah - One in a Million and Are You That Somebody?

Man, I loved "Are You That Somebody?"

Everything But the Girl - Missing (even though it was played to death back in the day)

Oh, god, yes. Anytime I happen to hear that song nowadays I'm immediately reminded of riding the bus to and from school, 'cause that's when I seemed to hear it most often back then. 

En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) and Free Your Mind

Excellent songs. I also remember one by them called "Don't Let Go (Love)"-it didn't seem to be as big a hit as those two songs, but I did hear it on the radio from time to time. I loved that song, too. 

Also anything by No Doubt (Tragic Kingdom was the first CD I ever bought and I still listen to that original copy). Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill.

I had those albums, too :D. There was a song on Tragic Kingdom called "Sunday Morning" that I really liked. 

• Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Annber03 said:

Excellent songs. I also remember one by them called "Don't Let Go (Love)"-it didn't seem to be as big a hit as those two songs, but I did hear it on the radio from time to time. I loved that song, too. 

Thanks! I liked "Don't Let Go (Love) too. It was a bigger hit on the R&B charts than the pop, I think.

And how could I forget "Lovefool" by the Cardigans? That one always takes me back to my elementary school days. :)

• Love 5
On 11/23/2018 at 11:29 PM, rmcrae said:

Thanks! I liked "Don't Let Go (Love) too. It was a bigger hit on the R&B charts than the pop, I think.

I'm surprised at that. It was a huge hit in Miami at the time. I couldn't get away from it.

"Lovefool" came out the summer between middle school and high school for me. Love that song and all the other ones listed here.

This was also the best decade for female rap music. Missy's "I Can't Stand The Rain" and "Sock It To Me" , Lil Kim's "No Time", "Crush on You", and "Ladies Night"  are all classics. Foxy Brown's "Gotta Get You Home Tonight" is another fav. 

Lauryn Hills "Doo-W** (That Thing)" and "Ex-factor" are two of my favorite songs ever.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 5

"Doo-W** (That Thing)" is awesome. I always liked the video for it, too:

18 hours ago, rmcrae said:

And how could I forget "Lovefool" by the Cardigans? That one always takes me back to my elementary school days. :)

Yes! I loved that song, too.

I also forgot to mention Savage Garden. Really liked their stuff back in the day, too. Though I can't hear "Truly Madly Deeply" anymore without thinking of alternate (and dark) lyrics my friend came up with for the chorus ;p.

• Love 6

I agree that the female singer-songwriters were some of the best artists of the 90's.  I would even argue that this batch was even better than the ones we had in the 70's.  But, it's worth mentioning that I wasn't even alive in the 70's and came of age in the late 90's, so...

Anyway, two of my favorites were Sophie B. Hawkins and Fiona Apple.  I have also developed a fondness for Joan Osborne and Natalie Merchant, in my later years.  Didn't think much of them the first time around, but now, I listen to their albums and really enjoy them.

On the pop end of things, I think Janet Jackson practically owned the early half of the decade, with Janet.  Still one of my favorite albums, of all time.  And I loved Madonna's Bedtime Stories.

I also unironically love the Spice Girls.  So, sue me. :P

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Love 7
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:27 AM, Annber03 said:

I had those albums, too :D. There was a song on Tragic Kingdom called "Sunday Morning" that I really liked. 

I know "Don't Speak" is the one the critics praised, but "Sunday Morning" was easily my favourite song on Tragic Kingdom.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Sweet Summer Child said:

That's because they're just awesome. "Say You'll Be There" is such a pop smash.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:17 AM, Annber03 said:

I was at karaoke with friends a few years ago and someone put this on as a joke but I knew the whole thing without looking. That song is amazing. And "Amish Paradise" is my favourite Weird Al parody.

One of the things about the 90s that makes me sad is how both Brandy and Monica have been overshadowed by the TRL girls that came along after. No one should doubt my Britney love but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be talking about how "Sittin' Up In My Room" or "Have You Ever" were incredible blends of pop and R&B. "For You I Will" and "Angel of Mine" are classics too but somehow Brandy and Monica are only really remembered now for "The Boy Is Mine." It makes me sad.

• Love 8
On 11/24/2018 at 5:16 PM, Sweet Summer Child said:

And I loved Madonna's Bedtime Stories.

"Secret" is such a good song.

You'll get no argument from me on them :D. They were/are fun. I remember hearing a couple of the girls' solo songs later on as well and liking those, too.

40 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I know "Don't Speak" is the one the critics praised, but "Sunday Morning" was easily my favourite song on Tragic Kingdom.

Always the way, isn't it? Some songs will get overshadowed by the big hits, and it's a shame. 

I do love "Don't Speak", too, though. Yeah, it got played like mad back in the day, but it's a good song.

I was at karaoke with friends a few years ago and someone put this on as a joke but I knew the whole thing without looking. That song is amazing. And "Amish Paradise" is my favourite Weird Al parody.

One of the things about the 90s that makes me sad is how both Brandy and Monica have been overshadowed by the TRL girls that came along after. No one should doubt my Britney love but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be talking about how "Sittin' Up In My Room" or "Have You Ever" were incredible blends of pop and R&B. "For You I Will" and "Angel of Mine" are classics too but somehow Brandy and Monica are only really remembered now for "The Boy Is Mine." It makes me sad.

That is an awesome karaoke story :D. I think "Amish Paradise" was the first time I really became familiar with Weird Al, so that just adds to my love for it.

Agreed on your comments about Brandy and Monica's solo work as well. I loved "For You I Will" and "Angel of Mine" in particular. 

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, AgentRXS said:

This was also the best decade for female rap music. Missy's "I Can't Stand The Rain" and "Sock it To me" , Lil Kim's "No Time", "Crush on You", and "Ladies Night"  are all classics. Foxy Brown's "Gotta Get You Home Tonight" is another fav. 

Lauryn Hills "Doo-W** (That Thing)" and "Ex-factor" are two of my favorite songs ever.

Yes! Loved all of those, but Crush on You the most. Loved the video with the different color rooms and wigs.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Sweet Summer Child said:

On the pop end of things, I think Janet Jackson practically owned the early half of the decade, with Janet.  Still one of my favorite albums, of all time.  And I loved Madonna's Bedtime Stories.

That's my favorite Madonna album. Her most R&B sounding record.

• Love 4

Songs that evoke incredibly strong feelings of nostalgia and fondness in me:

Dreams - The Cranberries

Linger - The Cranberries

What's Up - 4 Non Blondes

Live Forever - Oasis

Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis

Common People - Pulp

Walkaway - Cast

History - The Verve

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia

Tonight, Tonight - The Smashing Pumpkins

The Day We Caught The Train - Ocean Colour Scene

Never Forget - Take That (though this one comes from it always being the last song to  be played on a Friday night at my student union)

I listened to a lot of rap music in the late 90s as well, but for some reason none of that really evokes much in me. 2Pac still does, when I hear him, but that's about it.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

Britney, Backstreet Boys, Xtina, Destiny's Child and N*Stink didn't really come along until the tail end, but I know most people tend to think of them whenever anyone mentions 90s music.  "Baby One More Time" and "I Want It That Way" are probably two of the songs most associated with the 90s.  Although I feel like "As Long As You Love Me" is the song that really put the Backstreet Boys on the map so deserves some mention. 

To me, the quintessential 90s group is TLC because they were pretty much around for the entire decade.  I still hear "Waterfalls" on the radio occasionally (it was even used in the "Captain Marvel" movie) and the radio version I hear almost never includes Left Eye's iconic rap.  Which greatly disappoints me.  "Dreams are hopeless aspirations, in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up to me and you."  "No Scrubs", "Creep", "Unpretty" - all fantastic.

I consider "Say My Name" and "Jumpin Jumpin" to be among the best Destiny's Child songs.

Other 90s songs that take me back instantly... "Jump Around" (House of Pain), "The Sign" (Ace of Base), "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" (C&C Music Factory), "Baby Got Back" (Sir Mix-A-Lot), "Killing Me Softly" (The Fugees).

• Love 5

The '90s was an eclectic decade. I liked Madonna's "Take A Bow". But, by and large, the early to mid-'90s for me was all about grunge, alternative rock, and rock in general. Consider all that happened in that genre:

Guns 'N Roses, perhaps one of the last '80s holdouts, put out the double album, Use Your Illusion, Vol. 1 and 2.

Nirvana hit big with Nevermind.

Pearl Jam had their debut album, Ten, enter slowly but then later explode.

Stone Temple Pilots entered the fray with Core with "Plush" being a big hit, all over radio.

Soundgarden released Superunknown, and the video for "Black Hole Sun" was one of the trippiest, strangest videos I had ever seen, with the warped faces and Barbecued Barbies.

I remember "Would?" by Alice In Chains from Dirt being a huge hit, made even more so when the movie, Singles, hit.

And although I am not a huge fan, I also could not escape Green Day in my college days. Their debut, Dookie, seemed to be all over radio with "Basket Case", etc.

Those are just a few examples. Alanis Morissette hit big in '95, The Offspring, so many others. Others mention pop, rap, and R&B from that same time, and it's apparent that the decade had a genre for everyone.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, blackwing said:

I consider "Say My Name" and "Jumpin Jumpin" to be among the best Destiny's Child songs.

"Jumpin Jumpin" is the most underrated DC song ever. It is definitely in my top 5 of all of Beyonce's songs. It seems it has gotten more radio love as time went on rather than when it first came out.

22 hours ago, blackwing said:

Britney, Backstreet Boys, Xtina, Destiny's Child and N*Stink

Ha! N*Stink! Bringing me right back to '98 when I was hardcore BSB fan and would hear nothing of those copycats!

16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Those are just a few examples. Alanis Morissette hit big in '95, The Offspring, so many others. Others mention pop, rap, and R&B from that same time, and it's apparent that the decade had a genre for everyone. 

16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Guns 'N Roses, perhaps one of the last '80s holdouts, put out the double album, Use Your Illusion, Vol. 1 and 2.

Nirvana hit big with Nevermind. 

Your post is why I love the '90s so much. Nowadays, it seems like the kids are either into EDM, mumble rap, pop, or indie music.  I don't see them crossing over as much musically.
MTV introduced me to music that I may not have found otherwise and I am so grateful for that.I go just as hard for a GNR song as I would a BSB song. I love the Spice Girls just as much as I love West Coast gangsta rap. Love the R&B of the time just as much as I love the pop, rock and rap of the era. Its such a shame that the internet/reality tv killed the video star.

• Love 5

I love pretty much everything by the Spice Girls, but especially "Say You'll Be There," "Spice Up Your Life," "Stop" and "Too Much."  (I didn't like "Wannabe" when it first came out, though I came around later.)  Other favorites are "This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan, "I'm Goin' Down" and "Be Happy" by Mary J. Blige and "Return of the Mack" by Mark Morrison.  I listened to a lot of rock in the earlier part of the decade, but now I mostly hear '90s music via Throwback Jamz on Music Choice.

• Love 4

In terms of the Spice Girls, I think some of their best songs are songs that weren't singles, or singles that didn't get a lot of play. "Last Time Lover" "Step To Me" (one of their Pepsi songs) "Something Kind Funny" and "Saturday Night Divas" are some classic jams, IMO.

Some of my favorite Madonna songs came from this decade. "Rain" "Secret" "Take A Bow" "Frozen", "The Power of Goodbye" (IMO, her best song ever) plus she also had some amazing non single tracks on Bedtime Stories, "Survival" is one of my favorites.

Janet rocked my world with Janet and The Velvet Rope albums. "If" "Anytime, Anyplace" "Go Deep" "I Get Lonely" I still bump these jams.

And 1998 also gave us "The Roof (Back in Time") by Mariah Carey which, IMO, is her best song and is criminally underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi5oxzttjgo

• Love 6

After hearing it on a large workout playlist last night, I would like to add "C'mon N Ride It (The Train)" by Quad City DJ's.  I love it, even though when I first saw the video with people chanting "I think I can! I think I can!" and the instruction to "pull your arm up and down, and make that choo-choo sound" followed by everyone shouting "Choo-Choo!", it took a few minutes to convince myself it wasn't actually an SNL spoof.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, KWalkerInc said:

After hearing it on a large workout playlist last night, I would like to add "C'mon N Ride It (The Train)" by Quad City DJ's.  I love it, even though when I first saw the video with people chanting "I think I can! I think I can!" and the instruction to "pull your arm up and down, and make that choo-choo sound" followed by everyone shouting "Choo-Choo!", it took a few minutes to convince myself it wasn't actually an SNL spoof.

Anytime I happen to hear that song somewhere I immediately flash back to all my middle school dances, and all of us kids forming a human train of sorts on the dance floor :p. 

• Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:23 PM, WhitneyWhit said:

In terms of the Spice Girls, I think some of their best songs are songs that weren't singles, or singles that didn't get a lot of play. "Last Time Lover" "Step To Me" (one of their Pepsi songs) "Something Kind Funny" and "Saturday Night Divas" are some classic jams, IMO.

Some of my favorite Madonna songs came from this decade. "Rain" "Secret" "Take A Bow" "Frozen", "The Power of Goodbye" (IMO, her best song ever) plus she also had some amazing non single tracks on Bedtime Stories, "Survival" is one of my favorites.

Janet rocked my world with Janet and The Velvet Rope albums. "If" "Anytime, Anyplace" "Go Deep" "I Get Lonely" I still bump these jams.

And 1998 also gave us "The Roof (Back in Time") by Mariah Carey which, IMO, is her best song and is criminally underrated.

OMG, The Spice Girls ruled til Geri left, I liked a lot of their songs. I haven't kept up with how their reunion concerts are going this Summer.  Another group that was hugely popular in the UK was Steps, people loved_ their songs,especially the kids. So sad when they broke up, but they've gotten back together at different times  for concerts and still have lots of fans.

• Love 3

Most of my favorite songs from the '90s (my college years!) involved Alternative or Grunge songs, far too many to list, but the '90s was a decade that had music for every genre, something not seen today.

• Love 1

Still love this silly one:

Lump lingered last in line for brains
And the one she got was sorta rotten and insane
Small things so sad that birds could land
Is lump fast asleep or rockin' out with the band?

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, johnnyy said:

It Must Have Been Love - Roxette.

I like this, too. Of course, I first knew of it because of Pretty Woman, but I guess this was actually originally a sad Christmas song in Sweden in 1987, and the Christmas references (minus the mention of snow) were removed for the movie version three years later.

Here is the original version:

• Love 2

In case anyone else watched that Roxette video and couldn't figure out how it was different from the version you know, I looked it up: They just shortened the intro and outro and changed "it's a hard Christmas day" to "it's a hard winter's day." (I was expecting a whole complete verse about Christmas or something.)

• Love 1

On the little-viewed celebrity edition of The X-Factor that aired late last year, they were doing Christmas songs and the coach (I think Simon Cowell) had a former reality star sing "It Must Have Been Love" and explained its origin as a Christmas song, so that's the only reason I had heard about it.  She won the show and I think they released her version of this as a single, not that it went anywhere.  (Her voice was very pretty, but as I said, few were watching.)

I remember loving Roxette in the late 80's early 90's and then it seemed like they just disappeared. I've watched their music videos from back then on YouTube quite a few times over the years. They remind me of being happy dancing around to them in my Nana's house when they originally aired on MTV and maybe VH1 too. I was sad for a bit after finding out Marie Fredriksson died when it was posted about here late last year.

• Love 2

"Gangsta's Paradise" was honored a week or so ago on Entertainment Tonight to celebrate its 25th anniversary.  They had some footage with Coolio, but also showed set visit/interviews from Dangerous Minds as well as the set of the video of "Amish Paradise."  I tried to sing along with GP when it was played in the background and knew most, but I always get stuck in the same spot.  My mom loved the AP video and really got into listening to Weird Al after that.

I also loved "Around the Way Girl" and "Mama Said Knock You Out" by L.L. Cool J, so much that my tape almost broke after a year or so!  "Hip Hop Hooray" by Naughty by Nature reminds me of keeping stats for girls' basketball at a State playoff game, the heavily favored (and cocky) home team fans sang the chorus during warm-ups, only to have it thrown back in their face by the (very few) students from our school in the now-silent gym when our team had wrapped up the game.  And also when my mom would walk in while the video was playing on MTV and start singing the chorus and waving her arms back and forth like everyone in the video.

On a totally different note, "Silent Lucidity" by Queensryche.  I found it very calming.

• Love 5

I love just about every song mentioned! Would probably love the ones I'm not familiar with either. Maybe I'm biased as a 90s child, but I swear the pop music was more fun in that decade. Some of the best rock was released then, hip hop was at its peak, and if you don't love 90s r&b, I'm not sure we can be friends. Maybe it's getting older, but now when I hear a lot of music (especially hip hop which I loved in my teen years and a lot of my 20s), it just doesn't appeal to me. I don't think any rapper can flow like Biggie. Matter of fact, I don't think I can name a single current hip hop artist I love. I don't think there have been girl groups as fun as the Spice Girls or TLC. I haven't gotten into a new boyband as a super fan since Backstreet. There aren't many R&B songs like Toni Braxton You're Makin' Me High or Aaliyah Are You That Somebody. 

On 4/26/2019 at 7:23 PM, WhitneyWhit said:

I agree about the Spice Girls! One of my all-time favorite songs is Viva Forever. I don't listen to it very often because it moves me that much.

Love all those Madonna songs, and Power of Goodbye is hauntingly beautiful. I agree, probably her best song. 

Omg Janet's Velvet Rope might be my all-time favorite album. I wanted to be her. That and Madonna's Bedtime Stories-was obsessed with both. I love all those Janet songs, but If is my fave Janet song ever. 

I know a lot of us can't look at him the same way anymore, but Michael Jackson did release a lot of amazing music in the 90s. His Dangerous album is some of his best work imo. 

I haven't listened to it lately, but The Roof was my fave Mariah song as well! 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Love all those Madonna songs, and Power of Goodbye is hauntingly beautiful. I agree, probably her best song. 

..oh, wow, I forgot all about that song. I need to go listen to that now. 

I also remember really loving her song "Beautiful Stranger" back in the day as well :). Still love it. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

..oh, wow, I forgot all about that song. I need to go listen to that now. 

I also remember really loving her song "Beautiful Stranger" back in the day as well :). Still love it. 

Me too! I loved Red Light Special. The song and video were both considered rather risqué back then. So tame compared to current stuff. 

• Love 3
Just now, RealHousewife said:

Me too! I loved Red Light Special. The song and video were both considered rather risqué back then. So tame compared to current stuff. 

Haha, my sister and I were talking about that a while back, recalling some of the songs we used to sing along to back in the day when we were kids/teenagers. I remember Monifah's "Touch It" being on the radio and singing along to that when that came out, and now I listen to it as an adult and I'm like, "...the hell was my thirteen year old self doing singing along to this?!?!" LOL. 

Good song, though. And yes, "Red Light Special" is very, very sexy. 

• Love 4
On 11/24/2018 at 4:36 PM, Annber03 said:

I also forgot to mention Savage Garden. Really liked their stuff back in the day, too. Though I can't hear "Truly Madly Deeply" anymore without thinking of alternate (and dark) lyrics my friend came up with for the chorus ;p.

...well, come on now, you can't leave us hanging! :p.

• LOL 2
Just now, LexieLily said:

...well, come on now, you can't leave us hanging! :p.

*Clears throat*

I wanna fall with you off a mountain

I wanna drown with you in the sea

I wanna lay six feet underground

Until the worms devour me

Why I still remember those lyrics all these years later, I do not know, but...yeah :D. This is the same friend who, no joke, had locker number 666 in middle school, a fact that she and I got a real kick out of, given her dark sense of humor. So...:p. 

• LOL 4
7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Haha, my sister and I were talking about that a while back, recalling some of the songs we used to sing along to back in the day when we were kids/teenagers. I remember Monifah's "Touch It" being on the radio and singing along to that when that came out, and now I listen to it as an adult and I'm like, "...the hell was my thirteen year old self doing singing along to this?!?!" LOL. 

Touch It was another one of my jams. I never got tired of it!

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

*Clears throat*

I wanna fall with you off a mountain

I wanna drown with you in the sea

I wanna lay six feet underground

Until the worms devour me

Why I still remember those lyrics all these years later, I do not know, but...yeah :D. This is the same friend who, no joke, had locker number 666 in middle school, a fact that she and I got a real kick out of, given her dark sense of humor. So...:p. 

I think I like your friend :p.

And now that reminds me of my friend who made up/taught me a redneck version of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer. Lmao. Isn't it funny the things you remember?

But to bring it back to the point of this thread...Savage Garden. Middle school me thought "I Knew I Loved You" was soooooo romantic. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

And now that reminds me of my friend who made up/taught me a redneck version of Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer. Lmao. Isn't it funny the things you remember?

But to bring it back to the point of this thread...Savage Garden. Middle school me thought "I Knew I Loved You" was soooooo romantic. 

I thought that song was so romantic too. 

This was probably my favorite Savage Garden song though. When I first discovered it, I listened to it nonstop.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Hehe, she was very entertaining :D. And now I'm curious about that version of "Rudolph" you mention, too :p! 

"I Knew I Loved You" came out right around the time I started dating my then boyfriend, so...yeah :D. I have a bit of a soft spot for that one as a result. And I love "To the Moon and Back", too, that was always a favorite of mine from them as well.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I remember really liking "Touch It".  I recall that the video was a bit controversial because it featured Monifah singing and dancing amongst a group of U.S. military men (some of whom were shirtless) and a U.S. military jet plane.  I think there was some flack about how this wasn't a good image of the Army.

But I did really like that song.  I want to say I am pretty sure I even bought the cassingle.  I told my kids the other day about going into Musicland in the mall (before it got bought by Sam Goody) and looking at the tall rotating turntable rack of cassingles and buying.  They looked at me like I had three heads hahaha.  I think Monifah was a one hit wonder, too bad, because I thought "Touch It" was such a catchy song.

Edit to add:  Huh, I just went and looked up the video... I seem to remember a different video.  I remember her actually being surrounded by the soldiers, it was bright daytime in the desert.  This "official video" seems to have her giving a performance for soldiers on a round stage with backup dancers.  Was there a different video, or am I thinking of a different song that had the singer grinding with soldiers in the desert?

Edited by blackwing
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

I remember really liking "Touch It".  I recall that the video was a bit controversial because it featured Monifah singing and dancing amongst a group of U.S. military men (some of whom were shirtless) and a U.S. military jet plane.  I think there was some flack about how this wasn't a good image of the Army.

I never saw the video for the song, so I can't comment on that part of things, but maybe there were a couple videos? Maybe the controversy of the one you describe caused them to make another one?

Given some of the issues the military has had over its history, I have to say it's rather rich to hear them complain about a music video supposedly not promoting a "good image" of them, but that's a whole other topic altogether, so...

• LOL 4