Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Simon47

Favorite 1990s Songs

I loved so many of the female singer-songwriters from this decade. Alanis Morissette, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Fiona Apple... Songs like Tori Amos' "Spark" and Paula Cole's "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" were big favorites of mine as well.

A few other favorites from this decade include:

"Kiss Me"-Sixpence None The Richer

"Mary Jane's Last Dance"-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

"California Love"-2Pac

"Gangsta's Paradise"-Coolio (both because it's a good song in its own right and because it gave us Weird Al's "Amish Paradise", which I also love :D)

"No Diggity"-Blackstreet

"No Scrubs"-TLC (their music in general was great)

"Always Be My Baby"-Mariah Carey

"The Boy is Mine"-Brandy and Monica

"Ava Adore"-Smashing Pumpkins

"Wonderwall"-Oasis

"Groove is in the Heart"-Deee-Lite

And of course, anything by the Spice Girls, Hanson, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera (she kinda came in at the very tail end of the '90s, but still) :). I could seriously go on and on with this decade, so much good stuff came out during it. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:17 PM, Annber03 said:

I loved so many of the female singer-songwriters from this decade. Alanis Morissette, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Fiona Apple... Songs like Tori Amos' "Spark" and Paula Cole's "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?" were big favorites of mine as well.

A few other favorites from this decade include:

"Kiss Me"-Sixpence None The Richer

"Mary Jane's Last Dance"-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

"California Love"-2Pac

"Gangsta's Paradise"-Coolio (both because it's a good song in its own right and because it gave us Weird Al's "Amish Paradise", which I also love :D)

"No Diggity"-Blackstreet

"No Scrubs"-TLC (their music in general was great)

"Always Be My Baby"-Mariah Carey

"The Boy is Mine"-Brandy and Monica

"Ava Adore"-Smashing Pumpkins

"Wonderwall"-Oasis

"Groove is in the Heart"-Deee-Lite

And of course, anything by the Spice Girls, Hanson, Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera (she kinda came in at the very tail end of the '90s, but still) :). I could seriously go on and on with this decade, so much good stuff came out during it. 

That video with Tom Petty "dancing" with a deceased Kim Basinger freaked me out as a kid! Lol.

Aaliyah - One in a Million and Are You That Somebody?

Everything But the Girl - Missing (even though it was played to death back in the day)

Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High

Lisa Stansfield - All Around the World (technically it was released in 1989 in the UK, but it came out in the States the next year)

Meredith Brooks - Bitch

En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) and Free Your Mind

Also anything by No Doubt (Tragic Kingdom was the first CD I ever bought and I still listen to that original copy), Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, TLC and Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill.

• Like 4

Just now, rmcrae said:

That video with Tom Petty "dancing" with a deceased Kim Basinger freaked me out as a kid! Lol.

It's a creepy video! I didn't see it until I was an adult, myself, but yeah, I can totally see where it'd scare a kid. 

Aaliyah - One in a Million and Are You That Somebody?

Man, I loved "Are You That Somebody?"

Everything But the Girl - Missing (even though it was played to death back in the day)

Oh, god, yes. Anytime I happen to hear that song nowadays I'm immediately reminded of riding the bus to and from school, 'cause that's when I seemed to hear it most often back then. 

En Vogue - My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It) and Free Your Mind

Excellent songs. I also remember one by them called "Don't Let Go (Love)"-it didn't seem to be as big a hit as those two songs, but I did hear it on the radio from time to time. I loved that song, too. 

Also anything by No Doubt (Tragic Kingdom was the first CD I ever bought and I still listen to that original copy). Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill.

I had those albums, too :D. There was a song on Tragic Kingdom called "Sunday Morning" that I really liked. 

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Annber03 said:

Excellent songs. I also remember one by them called "Don't Let Go (Love)"-it didn't seem to be as big a hit as those two songs, but I did hear it on the radio from time to time. I loved that song, too. 

Thanks! I liked "Don't Let Go (Love) too. It was a bigger hit on the R&B charts than the pop, I think.

And how could I forget "Lovefool" by the Cardigans? That one always takes me back to my elementary school days. :)

• Like 4

On 11/23/2018 at 11:29 PM, rmcrae said:

Thanks! I liked "Don't Let Go (Love) too. It was a bigger hit on the R&B charts than the pop, I think.

I'm surprised at that. It was a huge hit in Miami at the time. I couldn't get away from it.

"Lovefool" came out the summer between middle school and high school for me. Love that song and all the other ones listed here.

This was also the best decade for female rap music. Missy's "I Can't Stand The Rain" and "Sock It To Me" , Lil Kim's "No Time", "Crush on You", and "Ladies Night"  are all classics. Foxy Brown's "Gotta Get You Home Tonight" is another fav. 

Lauryn Hills "Doo-Wop (That Thing)" and "Ex-factor" are two of my favorite songs ever.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Like 4

"Doo-Wop (That Thing)" is awesome. I always liked the video for it, too:

18 hours ago, rmcrae said:

And how could I forget "Lovefool" by the Cardigans? That one always takes me back to my elementary school days. :)

Yes! I loved that song, too.

I also forgot to mention Savage Garden. Really liked their stuff back in the day, too. Though I can't hear "Truly Madly Deeply" anymore without thinking of alternate (and dark) lyrics my friend came up with for the chorus ;p.

• Like 3

I agree that the female singer-songwriters were some of the best artists of the 90's.  I would even argue that this batch was even better than the ones we had in the 70's.  But, it's worth mentioning that I wasn't even alive in the 70's and came of age in the late 90's, so...

Anyway, two of my favorites were Sophie B. Hawkins and Fiona Apple.  I have also developed a fondness for Joan Osborne and Natalie Merchant, in my later years.  Didn't think much of them the first time around, but now, I listen to their albums and really enjoy them.

On the pop end of things, I think Janet Jackson practically owned the early half of the decade, with Janet.  Still one of my favorite albums, of all time.  And I loved Madonna's Bedtime Stories.

I also unironically love the Spice Girls.  So, sue me. :P

Edited by Sweet Summer Child
  • Like 6

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:27 AM, Annber03 said:

I had those albums, too :D. There was a song on Tragic Kingdom called "Sunday Morning" that I really liked. 

I know "Don't Speak" is the one the critics praised, but "Sunday Morning" was easily my favourite song on Tragic Kingdom.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:16 PM, Sweet Summer Child said:

That's because they're just awesome. "Say You'll Be There" is such a pop smash.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:17 AM, Annber03 said:

I was at karaoke with friends a few years ago and someone put this on as a joke but I knew the whole thing without looking. That song is amazing. And "Amish Paradise" is my favourite Weird Al parody.

One of the things about the 90s that makes me sad is how both Brandy and Monica have been overshadowed by the TRL girls that came along after. No one should doubt my Britney love but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be talking about how "Sittin' Up In My Room" or "Have You Ever" were incredible blends of pop and R&B. "For You I Will" and "Angel of Mine" are classics too but somehow Brandy and Monica are only really remembered now for "The Boy Is Mine." It makes me sad.

• Like 5

On 11/24/2018 at 5:16 PM, Sweet Summer Child said:

And I loved Madonna's Bedtime Stories.

"Secret" is such a good song.

You'll get no argument from me on them :D. They were/are fun. I remember hearing a couple of the girls' solo songs later on as well and liking those, too.

40 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I know "Don't Speak" is the one the critics praised, but "Sunday Morning" was easily my favourite song on Tragic Kingdom.

Always the way, isn't it? Some songs will get overshadowed by the big hits, and it's a shame. 

I do love "Don't Speak", too, though. Yeah, it got played like mad back in the day, but it's a good song.

I was at karaoke with friends a few years ago and someone put this on as a joke but I knew the whole thing without looking. That song is amazing. And "Amish Paradise" is my favourite Weird Al parody.

One of the things about the 90s that makes me sad is how both Brandy and Monica have been overshadowed by the TRL girls that came along after. No one should doubt my Britney love but that doesn't mean people shouldn't be talking about how "Sittin' Up In My Room" or "Have You Ever" were incredible blends of pop and R&B. "For You I Will" and "Angel of Mine" are classics too but somehow Brandy and Monica are only really remembered now for "The Boy Is Mine." It makes me sad.

That is an awesome karaoke story :D. I think "Amish Paradise" was the first time I really became familiar with Weird Al, so that just adds to my love for it.

Agreed on your comments about Brandy and Monica's solo work as well. I loved "For You I Will" and "Angel of Mine" in particular. 

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, AgentRXS said:

This was also the best decade for female rap music. Missy's "I Can't Stand The Rain" and "Sock it To me" , Lil Kim's "No Time", "Crush on You", and "Ladies Night"  are all classics. Foxy Brown's "Gotta Get You Home Tonight" is another fav. 

Lauryn Hills "Doo-Wop (That Thing)" and "Ex-factor" are two of my favorite songs ever.

Yes! Loved all of those, but Crush on You the most. Loved the video with the different color rooms and wigs.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Sweet Summer Child said:

On the pop end of things, I think Janet Jackson practically owned the early half of the decade, with Janet.  Still one of my favorite albums, of all time.  And I loved Madonna's Bedtime Stories.

That's my favorite Madonna album. Her most R&B sounding record.

• Like 3

Songs that evoke incredibly strong feelings of nostalgia and fondness in me:

Dreams - The Cranberries

Linger - The Cranberries

What's Up - 4 Non Blondes

Live Forever - Oasis

Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis

Common People - Pulp

Walkaway - Cast

History - The Verve

Torn - Natalie Imbruglia

Tonight, Tonight - The Smashing Pumpkins

The Day We Caught The Train - Ocean Colour Scene

Never Forget - Take That (though this one comes from it always being the last song to  be played on a Friday night at my student union)

I listened to a lot of rap music in the late 90s as well, but for some reason none of that really evokes much in me. 2Pac still does, when I hear him, but that's about it.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 1

Britney, Backstreet Boys, Xtina, Destiny's Child and N*Stink didn't really come along until the tail end, but I know most people tend to think of them whenever anyone mentions 90s music.  "Baby One More Time" and "I Want It That Way" are probably two of the songs most associated with the 90s.  Although I feel like "As Long As You Love Me" is the song that really put the Backstreet Boys on the map so deserves some mention. 

To me, the quintessential 90s group is TLC because they were pretty much around for the entire decade.  I still hear "Waterfalls" on the radio occasionally (it was even used in the "Captain Marvel" movie) and the radio version I hear almost never includes Left Eye's iconic rap.  Which greatly disappoints me.  "Dreams are hopeless aspirations, in hopes of coming true, believe in yourself, the rest is up to me and you."  "No Scrubs", "Creep", "Unpretty" - all fantastic.

I consider "Say My Name" and "Jumpin Jumpin" to be among the best Destiny's Child songs.

Other 90s songs that take me back instantly... "Jump Around" (House of Pain), "The Sign" (Ace of Base), "Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)" (C&C Music Factory), "Baby Got Back" (Sir Mix-A-Lot), "Killing Me Softly" (The Fugees).

• Like 3

The '90s was an eclectic decade. I liked Madonna's "Take A Bow". But, by and large, the early to mid-'90s for me was all about grunge, alternative rock, and rock in general. Consider all that happened in that genre:

Guns 'N Roses, perhaps one of the last '80s holdouts, put out the double album, Use Your Illusion, Vol. 1 and 2.

Nirvana hit big with Nevermind.

Pearl Jam had their debut album, Ten, enter slowly but then later explode.

Stone Temple Pilots entered the fray with Core with "Plush" being a big hit, all over radio.

Soundgarden released Superunknown, and the video for "Black Hole Sun" was one of the trippiest, strangest videos I had ever seen, with the warped faces and Barbecued Barbies.

I remember "Would?" by Alice In Chains from Dirt being a huge hit, made even more so when the movie, Singles, hit.

And although I am not a huge fan, I also could not escape Green Day in my college days. Their debut, Dookie, seemed to be all over radio with "Basket Case", etc.

Those are just a few examples. Alanis Morissette hit big in '95, The Offspring, so many others. Others mention pop, rap, and R&B from that same time, and it's apparent that the decade had a genre for everyone.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, blackwing said:

I consider "Say My Name" and "Jumpin Jumpin" to be among the best Destiny's Child songs.

"Jumpin Jumpin" is the most underrated DC song ever. It is definitely in my top 5 of all of Beyonce's songs. It seems it has gotten more radio love as time went on rather than when it first came out.

22 hours ago, blackwing said:

Britney, Backstreet Boys, Xtina, Destiny's Child and N*Stink

Ha! N*Stink! Bringing me right back to '98 when I was hardcore BSB fan and would hear nothing of those copycats!

16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Those are just a few examples. Alanis Morissette hit big in '95, The Offspring, so many others. Others mention pop, rap, and R&B from that same time, and it's apparent that the decade had a genre for everyone. 

16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Guns 'N Roses, perhaps one of the last '80s holdouts, put out the double album, Use Your Illusion, Vol. 1 and 2.

Nirvana hit big with Nevermind. 

Your post is why I love the '90s so much. Nowadays, it seems like the kids are either into EDM, mumble rap, pop, or indie music.  I don't see them crossing over as much musically.
MTV introduced me to music that I may not have found otherwise and I am so grateful for that.I go just as hard for a GNR song as I would a BSB song. I love the Spice Girls just as much as I love West Coast gangsta rap. Love the R&B of the time just as much as I love the pop, rock and rap of the era. Its such a shame that the internet/reality tv killed the video star.

• Like 4

I love pretty much everything by the Spice Girls, but especially "Say You'll Be There," "Spice Up Your Life," "Stop" and "Too Much."  (I didn't like "Wannabe" when it first came out, though I came around later.)  Other favorites are "This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan, "I'm Goin' Down" and "Be Happy" by Mary J. Blige and "Return of the Mack" by Mark Morrison.  I listened to a lot of rock in the earlier part of the decade, but now I mostly hear '90s music via Throwback Jamz on Music Choice.

• Like 2