Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite 1980s Songs

Simon47
  • Start Topic

Ooh, so many songs I could list here, too. I'll start off by listing stuff I remember hearing back when I was a little kid. 

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World"-Tears for Fears. I think that was the very first song I have any real memory of hearing-I have some vague memory of hearing it when my dad was taking me to preschool. 

I also remember my family having MTV on constantly when I was little, and seeing these videos quite a bit. I love these songs, too:

Peter Gabriel-"Sledgehammer":

(I also love his song "In Your Eyes"-not just one of my favorite songs of the '80s, but in general)

The Bangles-"Walk Like an Egyptian":

Genesis-"Land of Confusion":

(According to my parents, I used to go find my dad after seeing this video and bop him on the head, the way Nancy does to Ronald here :p.)

Other '80s favorites: Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Come On Eileen", Soft Cell's "Tainted Love", Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)", Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al", Talking Heads' "And She Was" (or their music in general, really), and I really liked Run-DMC and Aerosmith's version of "Walk This Way", too.

And anything by U2 and Crowded House can count here as well-two of my favorite bands who had some big success during this decade :D. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4

Anything by Sade, Prince and Michael and Janet Jackson

Madonna - Into the Groove

Grace Jones - Pull Up to the Bumper and Slave to the Rhythm

Loose Ends - Hangin' on a String (Contemplating)

Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait

Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody and You Give Good Love

Soul II Soul - Back to Life (However Do You Want Me)

• Love 8

After hearing it yesterday on my iPod, I remembered how much "On Our Own" by Bobby Brown reminds me of 8th grade softball, when I would play it to get fired up every time I was about to leave for a game (I'd even sing the rap section about the Ghostbusters).  It must have brought us luck, because our team didn't seem that great but had a 10-game winning streak before faltering in our organization's World Series.

Tiffany's gender-swapped Beatles cover "I Saw Him Standing There" was another softball favorite, as prior to the best game I ever had I played it over and over (on cassette of course) during the ride to the other side of town for the game.  I played "Could've Been" over and over after that team (which was actually good) forfeited because not enough people showed up for the first playoff game, but that song had already been a tear-jerking favorite anyway.  I remember really liking an episode of Growing Pains solely because that song played at the end, only to watch it again just a few years later and realize it was sexist, unfunny garbage.  (I think it played while some boys stared at the chest of a woman tossing dough in the air as she worked at a pizza parlor.)

• Love 2

I was listening to a CD I once made of favorites that included a number from the '80s.  "Believe It or Not" by Joey Scarbury (a.k.a. the Theme from Greatest American Hero) was an early favorite from the days when I mostly could only listen to AM radio, and I remember liking it from the show and being excited that there was a full-length version I could hear.  Once I actually had a radio in my room and could play FM and hear current songs that weren't only adult contemporary, I loved "What's Love Got to Do With It?" by Tina Turner.  I was also really into Wham! after my sister got their breakthrough album, and especially liked to sing along with "Careless Whisper" and "Freedom," though I liked all the songs, including the ones that weren't singles.  In fifth grade, I constantly played Heart's self-titled album, but I liked "Never" the most.  It seemed to have a very empowering message.  I also loved "The Greatest Love of All" by Whitney Houston and would try to hold out the note at the end as long as she did, even though sometimes I came close to passing out!  In middle school, I really liked "When I Think of You" by Janet Jackson and "Foolish Beat" and "Lost in Your Eyes" by Debbie Gibson.  I also liked "Armageddon It" by Def Leppard.  I knew it was a pretty filthy song (subject matter, not specific words), but I didn't care because I just liked the melody.

• Love 1