Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E09: Week 7: Country Night

• Start Topic

Aren't Louis and Tony over 40 years old? They can't dance forever. That's not old by most standards, but it's old for a dancer. The body breaks down after dancing for so many years. I think Anna and Karina might be over 40 as well, and Maks is close if he's not there yet.

It seems like Maks and Peta had some ankle issues as well.

• Love 3
Just now, boyznkatz said:

Aren't Louis and Tony over 40 years old? They can't dance forever. That's not old by most standards, but it's old for a dancer. The body breaks down after dancing for so many years. I think Anna and Karina might be over 40 as well, and Maks is close if he's not there yet.

I rather how some of the veteran pros come back and judge than dance tbh. I think we need some new blood on the judges table. Switch up a bit.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

FWIW, I've posted an updating spreadsheet of pro and troupe ages hereOffhand observation: Relatively few pros have had regular spots past mid-30's.

Just ran a few quick stats over all DWTS seasons.  Half the time, pros have been aged between 25 and 32.  One in ten times, pros have been under 22.  One in ten times, pros have been over 36.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

On the other hand, the parent show, Strictly Come Dancing, currently has Anton DuBeke, who at 52 is as far as I know not only the oldest pro on that show, but also the oldest pro on any version of Strictly or DWTS -- and I don't think he's going anywhere unless and until HE decides he's had enough, and he said recently that that's not happening anytime soon!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I rather how some of the veteran pros come back and judge than dance tbh. I think we need some new blood on the judges table. Switch up a bit.

I would love to see Shirley Ballas or even Corky Ballas as a judge. I think that would be epic. I am against having Maks as a judge. I feel he is biased in his judging. Val, Jenna, Sharna, Alan, and Peta (if she comes back) are all closely related to Maks. That one time when Maks was a guest judge during switch up week, his highest score that night was for Val. But I would not mind having an ex-pro as a judge. Louis would be a good one, Anna or Karina would be good. 

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2018 at 2:17 AM, Uke said:

Presumably the freestyles will be on the last night but only the judges will get to score them.  Then they'll announce the winner and that will be that.

If this is true, this season will be the first season ever the viewers will not vote after watching the Freestyle dances. It is generally believed that many of the winners won strictly on the Freestyle dance. I really find it very hard to believe the viewers will not have the opportunity to weigh in on the Freestyle dances. This just does not make any sense to me.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Karina is 40 (she's a month older than I am), and Anna is about the same age as Maks. Kym is the female pro who is over 40. I think the oldest pro on this season (including eliminated pros) is Artem, who's in his mid- to late 30s.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, RomanKat said:

FWIW, I've posted an updating spreadsheet of pro and troupe ages hereOffhand observation: Relatively few pros have had regular spots past mid-30's.

You know what is amazing about this list of pros? I have watched the show from the get go and there are names on there that I absolutely do not remember. I will have to go to Wiki and read the older pairings just to figure out who some of them are!!!!

For example, I just looked up Tyne Stecklein....she danced with Bill Nye but I have absolutely no memory of her.....I remember him of course, and I even remember the dance that I googled but a complete blank on her.

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

I would love to see Shirley Ballas or even Corky Ballas as a judge. I think that would be epic. I am against having Maks as a judge. I feel he is biased in his judging. Val, Jenna, Sharna, Alan, and Peta (if she comes back) are all closely related to Maks. That one time when Maks was a guest judge during switch up week, his highest score that night was for Val. But I would not mind having an ex-pro as a judge. Louis would be a good one, Anna or Karina would be good. 

Shirley is already a judge on Strictly Come Dancing, and while she's good with the technical critiques, not everyone cares for her over in the UK.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, suebee12 said:

For example, I just looked up Tyne Stecklein....she danced with Bill Nye but I have absolutely no memory of her

As far as I remember (which isn't much), it's probably because she didn't have much time to differentiate herself from every other generic blonde ballroom dancer.

There was also another woman - Anna, maybe? She was tall and blonde and won a competition DWTS had for a pro spot. I don't even remember who she danced with.

And want there a Brian for an early season? I remember him looking like a plastic Ken doll, but I also don't remember who he danced with.

They're examples of why it's important to differentiate yourself from the crowd. Jenna might be annoying, but at least people will remember who she is.

14 hours ago, luvthepros said:

If this is true, this season will be the first season ever the viewers will not vote after watching the Freestyle dances. It is generally believed that many of the winners won strictly on the Freestyle dance. I really find it very hard to believe the viewers will not have the opportunity to weigh in on the Freestyle dances. This just does not make any sense to me.

Nope, the athletes season was another season where the viewers didnt get to vote after the freestyle either. If indeed they did Sharna may have won her first mirrorball because Jennas and Adam freestyle was not good.

5 hours ago, McManda said:

There was also another woman - Anna, maybe? She was tall and blonde and won a competition DWTS had for a pro spot. I don't even remember who she danced with.

That was Anna Demidova. She danced with Michael Irvin on Season 9.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Well, tomorrow night is the last time for voting.   

Maybe they'll have a twitter "vote" after the freestyles next week, IF there are freestyles next week.

1 hour ago, vdw84 said:

Nope, the athletes season was another season where the viewers didnt get to vote after the freestyle either. If indeed they did Sharna may have won her first mirrorball because Jennas and Adam freestyle was not good.

There was a small window (5 minutes?) of online voting after the freestyles. I suspect it will be the same this season finale.

6 hours ago, McManda said:

And want there a Brian for an early season? I remember him looking like a plastic Ken doll, but I also don't remember who he danced with.

That was Brian Fortuna in Season 4. He was paired with former Miss USA Shandi Finnessey (who coincidentally looked like a Barbie doll herself).

13 hours ago, suebee12 said:

For example, I just looked up Tyne Stecklein....she danced with Bill Nye but I have absolutely no memory of her.....I remember him of course, and I even remember the dance that I googled but a complete blank on her.

Tyne is memorable for being the first contemporary dancer to be hired as a pro. If you had issues with Allison Holker's ballroom dancing and teaching, it was worse with Tyne.

• Love 1
On 11/11/2018 at 12:46 AM, calipiano81 said:

Tyne is memorable for being the first contemporary dancer to be hired as a pro. If you had issues with Allison Holker's ballroom dancing and teaching, it was worse with Tyne.

Yep.  While Tyne wasn't given much of an opportunity, she was memorable not because she couldn't distinguish herself from the other blondes, but because she did so by not being a ballroom dancer.  She should never have been made a pro in the first place or if they wanted to ease her in, stick her in troupe for awhile.  Allison looked like a ballroom queen next to Tyne.

It was also full of cultural appropriation.  So not only was it bad, but also vaguely offensive and racist...but hey, whatever it takes to win a fake trophy.  Though he should have lost for the atrocity of that dance alone.

But yes, I don't understand at all how the finale is going to work and/or what changed.  Originally it seemed it was scheduled for two nights and then somewhere along the way this season got reduced to one.  Does that mean the returning dancers won't get any time for their usual fanfare and routines?  Since we now have to do freestyles, vote and do all the usual finale stuff?  If anything gets booted it's going to be the returning celebs who won't get to do much more than walk out and wave.

Edited by spanana

It was also full of cultural appropriation.  So not only was it bad, but also vaguely offensive and racist...but hey, whatever it takes to win a fake trophy.  Though he should have lost for the atrocity of that dance alone.

No, it wasn't. The dance was mostly queer culture influenced. It had a few touches of Japanese inspiration in the silhouettes of the costuming and the specific choice of fans (but IIRC, not really the actual fan work). The wigs made me think there was some mod inspiration as well, but I don't know very much about that beyond the basic look. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

No, it wasn't. The dance was mostly queer culture influenced. It had a few touches of Japanese inspiration in the silhouettes of the costuming and the specific choice of fans (but IIRC, not really the actual fan work). The wigs made me think there was some mod inspiration as well, but I don't know very much about that beyond the basic look. 

I don't agree...at all, but will leave it at that other than to say the costuming and specific choice of fans was the appropriation part.