Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Did the Chicken Cross the Road?

4 hours ago, VartanFan said:

It would have been WAY more interesting for the fallout of Alex being pregnant with the dim firefighter's baby.  

When she announced that she got the job, I actually said "Noooo!" out loud because that was what I thought would happen.

2 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Yes, the lipstick thing was bizarre. (And icky.)  It seemed odd that one would have to go to the ER for that. 

My little sister once stuck a raisin up her nose, and we had to take her to the ER to get it out. (I wrote a story about it in high school. Got an A.) And someone I work with once had to go the ER - he had a 2 way radio with an antenna in his shirt pocket, he was looking down and something jerked his head down and the antenna went straight up his nose. It had a bulb on the end and they could NOT get it out. Luckily the antenna could be screwed out of the radio so he didn't have to go to the ER with the radio hanging out of his nose. And I'll leave you with THAT visual...

• Love 5

1. At least Manny wasn't in the episode. Sorry, Rico. Good luck in college.

2. I really hope it's Arvin. Or! Haley and Andy have an off-screen "who should I pick" conversation that converts to an unplanned romp. Thus resulting in the return of Andy. C'mon MF writers, I dare you to do something more interesting!

3. Confession; I groaned reading ABC's synopsis "Cam and Mitch get a chicken". However, the live chicken remains the greatest comedic prop. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I believe the hen had laid the egg in the back seat when Cam was driving it back to where he got it.  So when he stopped suddenly, the egg was somehow catapulted into the windshield thereby alerting Mitch to the fact that the hen wasn't carried off by a predator, but rather Cam got rid of it.

I found it hard to believe Phil was stupid enough to go on about taking photos of military installations and the fences around Camp Pendelton without any awareness.  They usually don't write him so obtuse.

Yes, the lipstick thing was bizarre. (And icky.)  It seemed odd that one would have to go to the ER for that. 

Thank you for the explanation. I feel obtuse. 

I agree that Phil wouldn’t have been so naive.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Thank you for the explanation. I feel obtuse. 

I agree that Phil wouldn’t have been so naive.

You shouldn't feel obtuse.  I had to rewind it immediately to see was supposed to have happened.  I don't believe there's any way a sudden stop would have caused that trajectory, so I think there was obviously some television-magic involved.  An egg on the backseat probably would have just rolled onto the floor or something rather than flying up and smashing on the windshield.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

You shouldn't feel obtuse.  I had to rewind it immediately to see was supposed to have happened.  I don't believe there's any way a sudden stop would have caused that trajectory, so I think there was obviously some television-magic involved.  An egg on the backseat probably would have just rolled onto the floor or something rather than flying up and smashing on the windshield.

Right, plot over reality. Same with Dylan's thought process on how to take the lipstick out of Haley's nose. I mean, don't keep constantly saying how Dylan is studying for being a nurse and how he is doing WELL in school and have him be to stupid to breath. Goes with even Haley's thoughts of life, that she doesn't want to be "old". As they say: "You can't be young or think you are going to live forever." 

• Love 2

Per the Phil and "I was a Russian Teenage Spy"  - I had to roll my eyes.  We once went to Fort Knox and we were met in the parking lot and told to turn around and leave.  By armed guards.  So the thought of Phil being able to take multiple photos without someone taking his film was just......no.

19 hours ago, Ions Earring said:

At least Manny wasn't in the episode. Sorry, Rico. Good luck in college.

I thought the same thing.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Aww... thank you for your kind reassurance! I think you got it: I couldn’t figure out any way for an egg to smash on the windshield unless someone threw it. 

• Love 1

I think for those of us that wished for Haley to end up with Andy, the problem for the show runners was/is the availability of Adam Devine. He’s been committed to movies and other TV pilots so he hasn’t been able to appear in multiple episodes of Modern Family. Also, cost is a factor. Now that they are at the age of the show where the network has to cover more of the cost of the show while being limited to charging less for advertising, they cut costs in other ways. They already limit the number of episodes for the kids, adding Devine’s salary would be too much. They can get the actor who plays Dylan for way less. 

• Love 5

I forgot to watch the show until I noticed it way down on the DVR list.  If Cam threw the chicken over the fence, how did the egg et in the backseat?

On 11/8/2018 at 6:40 AM, Your Aunt Tilly said:

As a Rad Tech, the way the pregnancy was revealed really irritated me. She said that Hayley had an X-Ray, and then stated that they run a pregnancy test before anesthesia. I guess the Modern Family writers don't know that most hospitals in the US have women sign a form stating that there is no possibly of pregnancy if they are of childbearing age (in some hospitals the age range is as much as 10-60 yrs of age. I get a lot of laughs from the 50+ women over that one.). If a woman can't say for sure then most hospitals will run a pregnancy test.  A lot if hospitals also have the policy NOT to x-ray pregnant women at all unless it is a life or death situation, even though the risk is actually very small or even non-existent - especially for x-rays of the face and especially if they used a lead shield. 

~sigh~ I guess I should at least be glad that it wasn't an x-ray of her pelvis or abdomen.  I guess I should also be glad that they didn't say that the person taking the X-ray was a nurse or doctor since a lot of shows get that detail wrong.

Remember, this show also thinks that Dylan could get into nursing school, let alone do well in it.  There must not be anyone in the cast or crew who knows anyone in the medical profession.  

2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The fence was in their backyard.

I thought the fence to which Cam was referring was the one at the place where they bought the hen.  (And when he returned it, he just threw it over the fence there.)

• Love 3

I could really do with less Haley, so this pregnancy storyline doesn't thrill me. I found her vacuous character funny when she was younger, but I'm kinda over her and would rather see more of the adults than the kids. Part of my boredom with the past 2 seasons has been Haley-related, I don't really care who she's dating and there's not much else going on with her.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I could really do with less Haley, so this pregnancy storyline doesn't thrill me. I found her vacuous character funny when she was younger, but I'm kinda over her and would rather see more of the adults than the kids. Part of my boredom with the past 2 seasons has been Haley-related, I don't really care who she's dating and there's not much else going on with her.

Problem is, they have been spinning Haley's character for the past 3 years. While I know some problems with the story have been due to Sarah's health. The problem is, she has been drifting between: "I'm going to be famous and rich." with: "Why am I still not famous and rich and oh here is another guy dumber than mud to sleep with." Now, since the show will most likely be ending this year. They feel they need to wrap up the characters with the original creators end game thought process. In this case with Haley and Dylan and Alex getting her career post college and away from her "wacky" family. 

• Love 2

I've never like Dylan and Haley together. In high school it kinda made sense because you usually end up dating idiots in high school. But I hate them together as an endgame. I really wanted her to end up with Andy but somehow knew that it would never happen.

And the show trying to tie up loose ends now feels rushed. But this show has never been good at story arcs. Some episodes Alex has a bf that she's been dating but we'd never heard about or seen until that episode and then never heard of again. Haley is getting her life together and has a plan and then a couple of episodes later it's as if that never happened. Rinse repeat. The show can still be pretty funny though.

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I've never like Dylan and Haley together. In high school it kinda made sense because you usually end up dating idiots in high school. But I hate them together as an endgame. I really wanted her to end up with Andy but somehow knew that it would never happen.

And the show trying to tie up loose ends now feels rushed. But this show has never been good at story arcs. Some episodes Alex has a bf that she's been dating but we'd neve heard about or seen until that episode and then never heard of again. Haley is getting her life together and has a plan and then a couple of episodes later it's as if that never happened. Rinse repeat. The show can still be pretty funny though.

It's like with how many times can Gloria put herself in positions that make her look like an idiot or hide something. Same goes with Mitch and Cam, one minute Mitch is in a good job, and then he loses it for some reason. Cam gets him in a stupid situation because he wants to be the center of attention and then makes himself look really stupid. Wash rinse and repeat. 

On 11/8/2018 at 8:38 AM, Angeleyes said:

I had a feeling they were going to spring a pregnancy storyline with Haley when she had the munchies after her grandmother’s death. I’m surprised they didn’t go with the old fainting trope instead. Hopefully they won’t bring Arvin back for a paternity test. If we have to put up with Haley and Dylan together, then please let this storyline be about them taking another step toward maturity. 

It was nice to see the family support Alex. They don’t do it often enough. 

I was also thinking Jennifer Garner with the chicken storyline. She gets her fans to submit name ideas for her new chicks and she definitely has a Hennifer. 

I’ve been waiting for the reveal since that episode as well. In addition to the eating, it turns out that Claire’s big fight with Dede was about Dede posting something along the lines of “painting the soles of your feet with aloe works as birth control.” I wonder if that will come up again, or they edited out that connection, but couldn’t entirely get rid of it since the argument was a large plot point.

• Love 1