Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Did the Chicken Cross the Road?

When Cam forgets the words to his favorite country song, he blames Mitch and decides he needs to reconnect with his roots and get a chicken. Meanwhile, when Alex is up for a prestigious government job that requires a family interview, it causes everyone to overcompensate and jeopardize her chances; and Haley and Dylan think it might be time they grew up a little.

Airdate: November 7, 2018

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

Oh look, an unplanned pregnancy on TV. I've never seen that done before.

Seriously though, this is really trite stuff. I get that they're going for a "Dylan and Haley = Phil and Claire 2.0" thing, but it doesn't work for me. If for no other reason than Phil and Claire are functional adults, and Dylan and Haley seem to have a combined IQ of 100.

Yeah. Seriously. Was anybody surprised about this? I’m so bored by this season. Everything got I’m expecting to happen, happens and that’s not good. 

• Love 3

I liked all the punny names Cam and Mitchell had for their hen. Chickie Minaj was my favorite.

It's curious how Lily just disappears for some episodes, like she doesn't exist. I guess she's at school all the time?

• Love 15

I was confused by the reasoning for the blood test. The medical person said they always do a blood test for anesthesia purposes or something like that? But the only thing they seemed to check was if her nose was broken. Why would they do a blood test for that?

• Love 6

So, Hayley is pregnant. I am undecided on how feel about this. While I know this is basically something being done for the sake of having stories to do, I also see it as realistic character development. Hayley is in her mid-20s and in a relationship. It is not out of the realm of possibility. Depending how it's handled, it could be a good way to advance her character and move her out of the arrested development she's been in. It might be worth it for that.

Glad Alex got the job! The scene with her and Phil was sweet! Between her starting a career and Hayley having a baby, I am starting to hope the show is learning, after all this time, how to age their child characters.

• Love 9

I like Dylan and Hayley, but them raising a child together? I wouldn't trust them to watch an ant farm, let alone a human life. At least this means that maybe she will really grow up, and the kids will start to really mature a bit. 

Glad that Alex got the job, and that she appreciates her dad being a dreamer. 

• Love 10
53 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I like Dylan and Hayley, but them raising a child together? I wouldn't trust them to watch an ant farm, let alone a human life. At least this means that maybe she will really grow up, and the kids will start to really mature a bit.

Yeah, Haley and Dylan having a baby would have been a big deal five or six seasons ago but now with them both way into their 20s maybe this will help them become adults.

Put me as loving the Alex and Phil scene too.

• Love 6
Just now, VCRTracking said:

Yeah, Haley and Dylan having a baby would have been a big deal five or six seasons ago but now with them both way into their 20s maybe this will help them become adults.

They are both gainfully employed and we have seen Hayley babysit her younger cousins. She also has a ton of family who will help her and Dylan with their first child.

• Love 9

Yeah..I feel like the show wants this to be a comparison to Phill and Claire and how they had Haley young and found out Claire was pregnant before they got married.. but aside from them not being married, it’s not the same? At least I don’t think so.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah..I feel like the show wants this to be a comparison to Phill and Claire and how they had Haley young and found out Claire was pregnant before they got married.. but aside from them not being married, it’s not the same? At least I don’t think so.

Yes, that's what they are trying to do. Same goes with how Phil is oblivious to things, but that's where it ends between the comparison of Phil and Dylan. Dylan is just at times brain dead. Phil is not self aware at times but he is a guy who can tie his own shoes, hold a great job and at least try to make a fun life. Dylan just falls up to success and how about why he called Haley for their date? Surprise he has a license at this point. I called Haley a mile away, if they would have had Alex after all this good stuff happened to her, that I would have found surprising. 

• Love 7

Yes I almost thought it was going to be Alex and that’s why she would not take the job.    

Although it was supposed to be humorous the bumper car scene was uncomfortable.  He is going to be a nurse ?   And thinks hitting her from the other side is a good idea?   

I loved Luke this episode.    Reminds me of my first psychology class and my dad told me stop reading so much.  LOL.  Wonder if Luke is going to be a therapist.   

This was the first story the Cam and Mitch have not annoyed me.  Mitch was very sweet with his pet chicken.  

The scene with Phil and Alex was my favorite.   We all need some one to believe in us.    

• Love 10

I had a feeling they were going to spring a pregnancy storyline with Haley when she had the munchies after her grandmother’s death. I’m surprised they didn’t go with the old fainting trope instead. Hopefully they won’t bring Arvin back for a paternity test. If we have to put up with Haley and Dylan together, then please let this storyline be about them taking another step toward maturity. 

It was nice to see the family support Alex. They don’t do it often enough. 

I was also thinking Jennifer Garner with the chicken storyline. She gets her fans to submit name ideas for her new chicks and she definitely has a Hennifer. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

Hopefully they won’t bring Arvin back for a paternity test. If we have to put up with Haley and Dylan together, then please let this storyline be about them taking another step toward maturity. 

Arvin had left for that work project before the 4th of July parade and when Hayley saw Dylan again. It is now around three months later so depending an how far along she is, they can determine who the father is.

• Love 3

As a Rad Tech, the way the pregnancy was revealed really irritated me. She said that Hayley had an X-Ray, and then stated that they run a pregnancy test before anesthesia. I guess the Modern Family writers don't know that most hospitals in the US have women sign a form stating that there is no possibly of pregnancy if they are of childbearing age (in some hospitals the age range is as much as 10-60 yrs of age. I get a lot of laughs from the 50+ women over that one.). If a woman can't say for sure then most hospitals will run a pregnancy test.  A lot if hospitals also have the policy NOT to x-ray pregnant women at all unless it is a life or death situation, even though the risk is actually very small or even non-existent - especially for x-rays of the face and especially if they used a lead shield. 

~sigh~ I guess I should at least be glad that it wasn't an x-ray of her pelvis or abdomen.  I guess I should also be glad that they didn't say that the person taking the X-ray was a nurse or doctor since a lot of shows get that detail wrong.

• Love 8

Also Mitch and Cameron’s funny punny names for the chicken were legit taken from Jennifer Garner. She has punny names for all her chickens.I think one of hers is even named Heinfer

From an earlier season, Mitch also has a history of punny names with his childhood pet bird and snake - Flyza Minelli and Zsa Zsa Ga-boa.

• Love 4

Haley and Dylan are nothing like her parents if that's what the writers are going for. Claire and Phil have problems but I never doubt they can hold down a job or take care of children, even if they had needed help in the beginning.

Haley and Dylan can possibly support themselves, but each other and a baby? They are great at babysitting but having your own is a different kettle of fish. Good thing grandpa is rich and Haley's parents aren't too shabby.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, nilyank said:

Arvin had left for that work project before the 4th of July parade and when Hayley saw Dylan again. It is now around three months later so depending an how far along she is, they can determine who the father is.

Sure, that’s how it should work. However, if they did choose to bring him back it wouldn’t be the first time Modern Family or a sitcom fudged the timeline or forgot continuity. 

• Love 3

I hated that Cam took the chicken back and "threw it over the fence."  Oh, and then on top of that he lied about it.  He never told Mitchell that he got rid of it, he just told him that he didn't want the chicken.  I loved Mitchell bonding with the chicken.

Did Alex graduate or is this just a temporary job?

Annnnd, yet another episode with no mention of DeeDee or after effects of a death that was described as significant and affecting every member of the family...

• Love 6

Glad they're advancing the Dunphy kids' stories as the series winds down. I've liked most of Haley's boyfriends - Dylan, Andy, Arvin - all for different reasons. Dylan is the funniest, Andy is the one I'd most want her to hook up with in real life, Arvin was a sitcommy 'opposites attract' kind of thing that was amusing but not very original.

With Dylan in nursing school and Haley desperate for direction in her life, this could be either the best or worst thing to ever happen to them. Of course, this being an American sitcom, abortion is out of the question so I'm guessing the wedding (with a super-preggers Haley) will be the season ender?

So Luke - salesman, hustler, psychologist? Interesting evolution. 

Gloria, usually funny, was so obnoxious this episode. Jay wasn't much better. But Joe was hysterical.

They've done the Mitchell-Cam O.Henry-style switcheroo ending too many times. "I actually want what I thought YOU wanted!" "And I actually want what I thought YOU wanted." Yeah, sure, whatever, dudes.

Still funny as it winds down. Not bad at all.

• Love 3

I hated that they glossed over Cameron deceiving Mitchell into thinking that the chicken had died a gruesome death. I know Mitchell had claimed he didn't care about it, but once it was missing he was obviously distraught. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Your Aunt Tilly said:

As a Rad Tech, the way the pregnancy was revealed really irritated me. She said that Hayley had an X-Ray, and then stated that they run a pregnancy test before anesthesia. I guess the Modern Family writers don't know that most hospitals in the US have women sign a form stating that there is no possibly of pregnancy if they are of childbearing age (in some hospitals the age range is as much as 10-60 yrs of age. I get a lot of laughs from the 50+ women over that one.). If a woman can't say for sure then most hospitals will run a pregnancy test.  A lot if hospitals also have the policy NOT to x-ray pregnant women at all unless it is a life or death situation, even though the risk is actually very small or even non-existent - especially for x-rays of the face and especially if they used a lead shield. 

As someone with zero medical background whatsoever, it bugged me, too. (I had neck x-rays after a car accident years ago and they didn't do a pregnancy test, just asked if I could be.) And is that really how they tell someone (who clearly doesn't know yet) that she's pregnant? Just assume they know and when it's obvious they don't just say "oh, yeah, you're pregnant!"

• Love 6

Agreed. That was just awkwardly done. It was like something they would have done on ER. Have the awkward new intern/resident/doctor/nurse/etc. reveal information either they weren’t supposed to or do it in an awkward way, and end up putting their foot in mouth.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Love 1

Am I the only one who is bothered by this show treating animal cruelty for laughs?  Cam throws the chicken over the fence and says "they can fly a little".  When they were at the dude ranch in Wyoming, it was treated with great hilarity that Mitchell blew up the bird house with firecrackers (we don't know if it was occupied, but it was a bird's home).   I can think of many examples, but it seems that most mentions of animals involves the animal taking it in the shorts.

I always worry about the welfare of Larry and Stella - the characters don't.  Jay loves Stella, but Gloria hates her and wishes for her death.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Agreed. That was just awkwardly done. It was like something they would have done on ER. Have the awkward new intern/resident/doctor/nurse/etc. reveal information either they weren’t supposed to or do it in an awkward way, and end up putting their foot in mouth.

Even worst, it paints Dylan and Haley as really stupid in this case. Not like they didn't have sex before and they just magically just go pregnant? What's the story: "Oh umm... was the condom inside out?" "Oh um... I couldn't pay for my birthday control this month." 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

As someone with zero medical background whatsoever, it bugged me, too. (I had neck x-rays after a car accident years ago and they didn't do a pregnancy test, just asked if I could be.) And is that really how they tell someone (who clearly doesn't know yet) that she's pregnant? Just assume they know and when it's obvious they don't just say "oh, yeah, you're pregnant!"

Shows tend to do this a lot, actually. Have some random way to tell someone they’re pregnant. It’s not.. that great. It happened on the final season of the show Girls, the main character Hannah went in for another reason and she knew what it was and the doctor said something like her Suspicions were tight and then went “.. and the pregnancy “ and then he was like “you knew about that right?” So It’s a common way tv does it.

8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I hated that Cam took the chicken back and "threw it over the fence."  Oh, and then on top of that he lied about it.  He never told Mitchell that he got rid of it, he just told him that he didn't want the chicken.  I loved Mitchell bonding with the chicken.

Did Alex graduate or is this just a temporary job?

Annnnd, yet another episode with no mention of DeeDee or after effects of a death that was described as significant and affecting every member of the family...

7 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I hated that they glossed over Cameron deceiving Mitchell into thinking that the chicken had died a gruesome death. I know Mitchell had claimed he didn't care about it, but once it was missing he was obviously distraught. 

I hate it that Cameron got the chicken without taking any of Mitch’s feelings into consideration. I also hate that Gloria forced Jay to referee soccer.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Oh look, an unplanned pregnancy on TV. I've never seen that done before.

Seriously though, this is really trite stuff. I get that they're going for a "Dylan and Haley = Phil and Claire 2.0" thing, but it doesn't work for me. If for no other reason than Phil and Claire are functional adults, and Dylan and Haley seem to have a combined IQ of 100.

Right down to pretty much the same storyline they used for Phil and Claire earlier in the series.  They go to the bad movie and run into some other parents going to a "sophisticated" one and try it out instead to be better people......etc. 

And yes the problem is Dylan and Hailey are both like a stupid version of Phil.  Phil has his quirks, but has never been shown to be dumb, just goofy.  And Claire is the type A personality that keeps them on track.  Dylan and Hailey have none of that. 

I guess the big question will be, who is the father of her baby? 

I actually liked Cam and Mitch this time. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

I also hate that Gloria forced Jay to referee soccer.

As someone who sat through YEARS of traveling soccer (grades 5 through 12) I can tell that would have never flown in real life.  No way no how does just anyone get to ref, especially without a whistle!   Parents would have said no way.   I must say I was very grateful Sophia Vergara wore a top where her breasts were not on full display.  

Did not like the disregard for the chicken.

Haley is pregnant - guess my dreams of Andy coming back are officially dashed.  Sigh.......

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Right down to pretty much the same storyline they used for Phil and Claire earlier in the series.  They go to the bad movie and run into some other parents going to a "sophisticated" one and try it out instead to be better people......etc. 

And yes the problem is Dylan and Hailey are both like a stupid version of Phil.  Phil has his quirks, but has never been shown to be dumb, just goofy.  And Claire is the type A personality that keeps them on track.  Dylan and Hailey have none of that. 

I guess the big question will be, who is the father of her baby? 

I actually liked Cam and Mitch this time. 

Yeah.. I don’t get the Dylan and Haley love and as much as they try to write this as Claire and Phil 2.0, it doesn’t work for me. If it had been Andy and Haley.. maybe. But Dylan and Haley? Nope.Sorry. 

• Love 7

I know that they wrote Mitch and Cam’s SL just so that Cam could ask, “Why would the chicken cross the road?” But it still amused me. 

I don’t understand why Cam threw an egg at the windshield. 

Phil writing stuff on his arms was stupid.

That lipstick mishap was bizarre.

I liked Dylan conjugating a la Iceman Cometh.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

As someone who sat through YEARS of traveling soccer (grades 5 through 12) I can tell that would have never flown in real life.  No way no how does just anyone get to ref, especially without a whistle!   Parents would have said no way.   I must say I was very grateful Sophia Vergara wore a top where her breasts were not on full display.  

Did not like the disregard for the chicken.

Haley is pregnant - guess my dreams of Andy coming back are officially dashed.  Sigh.......

I know. If TPTB are trying to set up a Phil/Clare dynamic, it shouldn't be with Dylan. Andy would be so much better. Opposite but not so much that its not believable. Plus, she was stunned when he kissed her. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

I don’t understand why Cam threw an egg at the windshield. 

Phil writing stuff on his arms was stupid.

That lipstick mishap was bizarre.

I believe the hen had laid the egg in the back seat when Cam was driving it back to where he got it.  So when he stopped suddenly, the egg was somehow catapulted into the windshield thereby alerting Mitch to the fact that the hen wasn't carried off by a predator, but rather Cam got rid of it.

I found it hard to believe Phil was stupid enough to go on about taking photos of military installations and the fences around Camp Pendelton without any awareness.  They usually don't write him so obtuse.

Yes, the lipstick thing was bizarre. (And icky.)  It seemed odd that one would have to go to the ER for that. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

I found it hard to believe Phil was stupid enough to go on about taking photos of military installations and the fences around Camp Pendelton without any awareness.  They usually don't write him so obtuse.

You are right, but I forgive them because it led up to this great exchange:

Luke:  Thank you, Alexandra.  It's not easy being the smart ones in this family

Alex:  Don't compare us!  Your last English paper came back with a Garfield sticker on it that said, "Way to go!"

Luke:  That's the second highest sticker she gives out!

And to see Haylee, obviously impressed by the Garfield sticker going in for the high five.

I just love little Modern Family moments like these.

• Love 8