Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E04: Mint Condition

raven
  • Start Topic

I give Perez points - well a point - for Dean's reason for loving the slasher films. Otherwise though, I'm in agreement with those who noticed his penchant for disappearing Dean. IMO the episode had altogether too much 'original content' that took up a good percentage of the 42 minutes. Seems the kool-aid was a little watered down this time, but I'll wait for his next script before removing the label of the second worse thing to happen to Dean in the Dabb era.

• Love 5

I agree with those who thought the explanation for Sam's dislike of Halloween was kind of lame. I never thought it had anything to do with Jessica's death, since obviously it preceded that. I just assumed that it was because he knew that monsters and ghosts, the things that people were dressing up for as fun, were actually real and deadly. The fact that the explanation actually had nothing to do with the "messed-up childhood" that he had mentioned to Samantha sort of made the whole discussion a little pointless, or at least not very illuminating.

On the plus side, I was afraid that the reason might be something Dean would have to apologize for, like Sam's fear of clowns somehow turning out to be Dean's fault in the Plucky Pennywhistle episode. So at least we were spared that. But again, the explanation fell kind of flat for me. I would have preferred that they just left it a mystery.

I liked Samantha, though. I thought she was cute and smart -- she was the one who figured out the significance of the key ring, and noticed and grabbed the isopropyl alcohol for Sam so that he could burn it in time -- and also loyal to her friends. Maybe Sam could ask her out. Of course, if she is a comic book geek, they may not share many of the same interests, but that is not always a deal-breaker.

23 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I give Perez points - well a point - for Dean's reason for loving the slasher films.

I liked that too. Dean said it in a very offhand, understated manner, about how when he was growing up, he needed to "check out" once in a while, and that he liked to watch movies where he knew the bad guy was going to lose -- but those casual words revealed a lot about the pain and awfulness of his childhood. I also liked the casual way he mentioned that he had been in a lot of hospitals at night, and "trust me, they get pretty empty" -- again, there is a lot of pain hidden under those words.

Edited by Bergamot
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

On the plus side, I was afraid that the reason might be something Dean would have to apologize for, like Sam's fear of clowns somehow turning out to be Dean's fault in the Plucky Pennywhistle episode. So at least we were spared that. But again, the explanation fell kind of flat for me. I would have preferred that they just left it a mystery.

OMG yes. When Sam was so hesitant to tell him, I was 100% sure it was because it was somehow Dean's fault. Colour me surprised!

I always figured Sam's dislike of Halloween was because of its proximity to Mary's death.That, wrapped up with their knowledge of the real supernatural was all the explanation I ever needed. Honestly, I'm surprised Dean doesn't have the same association.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I definitely missed this.

HA! I LOVE! it.

Keeps alive my dreams that Jensen is lobbying for the role of Red Hood...*fingers crossed*...

6 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

I liked that too. Dean said it in a very offhand, understated manner, about how when he was growing up, he needed to "check out" once in a while, and that he liked to watch movies where he knew the bad guy was going to lose -- but those casual words revealed a lot about the pain and awfulness of his childhood. I also liked the casual way he mentioned that he had been in a lot of hospitals at night, and "trust me, they get pretty empty" -- again, there is a lot of pain hidden under those words.

This interaction was my favorite part of the episode.

JA just always shines so bright to me in his delivery of this kind of material for his character.

Always.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

OMG yes. When Sam was so hesitant to tell him, I was 100% sure it was because it was somehow Dean's fault. Colour me surprised!

I was surprised at this too.  I was also glad they didn't go with Dean hitting on Sam's girlfriend.

Another moment I liked was Stuart's house.  When his mom served the apple cider and Dean grabs The Flash mug.  Reminded me of the time in ep 2.2 when Dean went to grab the regular chair.

Dean also seems to be a Big Bang fan.  I wonder if there was a cut line about Dean making a remark the name of the store owner being Stuart. 

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

Maybe Sam could ask her out.

I thought you said you liked her? LOL!

(RIP Madison, Sara, Eileen, etc, etc)

21 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

I also liked the casual way he mentioned that he had been in a lot of hospitals at night, and "trust me, they get pretty empty" -- again, there is a lot of pain hidden under those words.

*sob*

I don't know what U.S. hospitals are like, but here they can be huge and sprawling. I have regular appointments at the Respiratory clinic in one of our big hospitals. I park in the back and have to walk quite a distance through the first floor to the elevator bank (a good five minute walk) and many times I can go the whole way without encountering another person. Now, if I started screaming like I was being murdered, I'm like 73% sure that someone would come out of the offices along the way, but still...

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Another moment I liked was Stuart's house.  When his mom served the apple cider and Dean grabs The Flash mug.  Reminded me of the time in ep 2.2 when Dean went to grab the regular chair.

I thought of that too.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

And when he wouldn't let Sam see Samuel's Colt's Journal "Get your own."  And when Sam told Dean he'd have to get another room because he was keeping Lizzie's in Thin Lizzie.  I love the true-to-life brotherly moments the best about this show.

• Love 5

Well, it wasn't as bad as I expected. I didn't like it 100% but I didn't loathe it so there's that.

Jensen Ackles can make anything look good. He looked so good in a blazer that shouldn't look good on anyone.

I greatly apprciated that Dean's love for horror movies is because the bad guy always loses. That was way better than the terrible PR that Dean's hero was  serial killer.

Whilst I appreciated that Sam acknowledged that Dean said yes to Michael to save him and Jack, the show is still completely failing to include the additional aspect that Dean killed the devil who was stronger than anyone in the universe now. It is possible for Dean to be motivated by all three reasons. I mean I think even if Sam and Jack weren't kidnapped and the only way to stop Lucifer was Michael!Dean, I think Dean would have done it. I suspect they will never have someone state the world saving aspect directly and unequivocally given it  took them 4 episodes for Sam to acknowledge that Dean saved Sam and Dean.

I want to know what happened to the Deancave.

Edited by catrox14
ugh typos. Mobile posting is terribad
  • Love 9
45 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I want to know what happened to the Deancave.

We know what happened to the TV in it:)  I'm glad Dean was just hanging out in his room, otherwise, we might have had to see more hunters. Morally, Sam and Dean don't have a right to kick anyone out of the bunker as they don't own it.  Unless we're going with squatters rights.  but, from a practical standpoint, I would just like everyone but the two of them out. Like yesterday.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

We know what happened to the TV in it:)  I'm glad Dean was just hanging out in his room, otherwise, we might have had to see more hunters. Morally, Sam and Dean don't have a right to kick anyone out of the bunker as they don't own it.  Unless we're going with squatters rights.  but, from a practical standpoint, I would just like everyone but the two of them out. Like yesterday.

Actually, Sam and Dean, as MoL Legacies, do have the right to be there.  No one else does (officially, at least).  

What I want to know is--this super-secret warehouse of "everything dealing with the supernatural" that only had one key (that they were supposed to throw in to lock it up)--did they give all the AU hunters keys, too?  Or do they just leave the door unlocked?  (I know the BMoL had keys, too, but at least they had a reason.)  And can that super secret key be duplicated by any locksmith?  *sigh*

Sam said this wasn't his home, just "where he worked," so I can understand him turning it into headquarters.  Dean felt it was his home, and I can understand him feeling overrun/overwhelmed, as if his brother had invited his whole fraternity to crash at his house without asking first.  Personally, I sympathize with Dean more.  

Maybe he can move his bed into the Deancave and claim that whole section of the bunker as his.

• Love 12

This one was okay for the most part. What I didn`t appreciate was Dean having to be saved twice because he couldn`t fight off one little ghost. 

I did like his reason for loving horror movies. 

Didn`t like them reducing the yes wholely to Sam, Jack, family and ignoring the threat Lucifer posed. 

Also, why can`t Dean stay in his room? If the bunker being overrun by the flunky army annoys him, that is pretty much his only refuge. 

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

What I want to know is--this super-secret warehouse of "everything dealing with the supernatural" that only had one key (that they were supposed to throw in to lock it up)--did they give all the AU hunters keys, too? 

That's been bugging me for eons.  They gave Kevin the key in Sacrifice, Kevin got locked in and then S&D were able to get in.  I supposed Kevin could have left the key under the mat out front, but considering he didn't know that would happen doesn't seem likely.  Plus, we now know that every BMOL has a key also. They really retconned that place.  It doesn't keep anything out.  S&D should just grab some of the cooler books and stuff and head back out on the road.

29 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Actually, Sam and Dean, as MoL Legacies, do have the right to be there.  No one else does (officially, at least).  

Not to nitpick, but Henry was never officially inducted.  So, since the rest of the American MOLs were all killed in that one spot because apparently that's all they had besides the band that was left guarding The Thing, it should be opened up to all hunters or none.

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Not to nitpick, but Henry was never officially inducted.  So, since the rest of the American MOLs were all killed in that one spot because apparently that's all they had besides the band that was left guarding The Thing, it should be opened up to all hunters or none.

But Henry also said that his father and his father’s father were MOL so Sam and Dean are still legacies through them even if Henry wasn’t inducted.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Besides, "hunters are apes."  I can't imagine any of the MoL wanting hunters in their hallowed halls. :) 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Besides, "hunters are apes."  I can't imagine any of the MoL wanting hunters in their hallowed halls. :) 

But, Sam and Dean are hunters.  Moreso than MOLs in my opinion.  But, it doesn't matter.  All the hutners just need to go on a hunt, get lured into a trap and blow up.  Problem solved.

16 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

But Henry also said that his father and his father’s father were MOL so Sam and Dean are still legacies through them even if Henry wasn’t inducted.

That's a good point. I  wasn't thinking about that.

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

But, Sam and Dean are hunters.  Moreso than MOLs in my opinion.  But, it doesn't matter.  All the hutners just need to go on a hunt, get lured into a trap and blow up.  Problem solved.

Dorothy was a hunter, too.  Legacies apparently can be both.  But the MoL hand-picked which hunters to work with, not all the rabble.

But IA they have to go, though blowing them all up would leave no one but Sam and Dean to hunt everything.  (Of course, they have Jack and Cas, too!)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

But IA they have to go, though blowing them all up would leave no one but Sam and Dean to hunt everything.  (Of course, they have Jack and Cas, too!)

I  would be okay with that. And if the nougat baby died trying to stop it....

• Love 8

Additional thoughts:

- I think Dean’s costume was a cross between Herb Tarlek and Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China) undercover. 

- I liked Sam and Samantha’s geeky delight at the exploding lunch box trick. 

- Tombstone was last season’s genre homage and also written by Perez.  In it he had an improbable ‘Gunfight in Dodge City’ where the villain got away.  I think the leftover maniquin wasn’t of similar ilk - just embellishing the homage and trading a little logic to do so. 

- I so adore the insights into both Sam and Dean in this episode — where they came from, how they cope.  

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Also, why can`t Dean stay in his room? If the bunker being overrun by the flunky army annoys him, that is pretty much his only refuge. 

Because Chief doesn't want it that way and Chief knows best, dontchaknow...

• Love 4
3 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I always figured Sam's dislike of Halloween was because of its proximity to Mary's death

Also Jessica died around Halloween as well.  There didn't really need to be any other explanation.  Especially one so lame.

• Love 1

I don’t think Sam’s reason for hating Halloween is lame. Things that happen in childhood can have a lasting effect. I still can’t eat applesauce because of a stupid story I heard when I was 5. My adult brain knows it’s stupid, but I still get ill just thinking about eating it. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Also Jessica died around Halloween as well.  There didn't really need to be any other explanation.  Especially one so lame.

Yes, but his dislike of it was documented before she died. It wasn't even just an offhand remark - it was a thing.

• Love 6
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

Yes, but his dislike of it was documented before she died. It wasn't even just an offhand remark - it was a thing.

I agree.  I always thought it was because he was raised in a horror show and didn't really like it.

• Love 5

One eye-roll worthy moment was when Sam got compared to a pretty girl ("soft, delicate features" WTF? On what planet?) while Dean got compared to a schlubby Average Joe. Lol okay, just keep contradicting the evidence of our functioning eyeballs, go right ahead. Only a (likely straight male) writer who's clueless as to what soft and delicate features on a man actually look like would have *DEAN* say that to *SAM*. "Soft and delicate" is a more objective feature than "attractiveness," by the way; I'm not quantifying or comparing hotness levels here. 

Dean has also made comments about Sam's "princess hair" before, but the only time that Sam has ever mentioned Dean's attractiveness in any capacity was way back in 6.22 when Sam forgot who Dean was and referred to him as a "male model type." That was hilarious (and accurate). Seems like he can only remove the Big-Brother-Dean Goggles when he loses his memories completely, lol.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

One eye-roll worthy moment was when Sam got compared to a pretty girl ("soft, delicate features" WTF? On what planet?) while Dean got compared to a schlubby Average Joe. Lol okay, just keep contradicting the evidence of our functioning eyeballs, go right ahead. Only a (likely straight male) writer who's clueless as to what soft and delicate features on a man actually look like would have *DEAN* say that to *SAM*. "Soft and delicate" is a more objective feature than "attractiveness," by the way; I'm not quantifying or comparing hotness levels here. 

Dean has also made comments about Sam's "princess hair" before, but the only time that Sam has ever mentioned Dean's attractiveness in any capacity was way back in 6.22 when Sam forgot who Dean was and referred to him as a "male model type." That was hilarious (and accurate). Seems like he can only remove the Big-Brother-Dean Goggles when he loses his memories completely, lol.

I think that scene could be pictured under the word and definition of cringe-worthy because that's what I was doing through out that scene...*still shivering at just the thought of it*...

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

Honestly it just makes the show seems like it lives in some sort of weird alternative universe where Jensen Ackles is somehow NOT one of the most ridiculously good looking men you're ever going see. Dean looks like Jensen Ackles ergo Dean Winchester is one of the most ridiculously good looking men you are ever going to see. LOL

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Love 12

This was a mixed bad for me. On its own, this was a fun, old school kind of episode, with Sam and Dean bantering and fighting some monster with some spooky stuff and wacky hijinks, like a super fan being attacked by a Thundercats toy. But, on the other hand, it seemed like a weirdly placed episode. With the exception of the one scene at the end where Sam and Dean talk about Michael, this could have been a season one or two episode, putting everything else going on awkwardly on hold. So, I guess Jack and Cas and the AU hunters and Michael were just...elsewhere? So that was weird. But, I cant complain about them not being around too much, as I think this show is usually better with a smaller cast anyway, and I really have no idea why the AU hunters are even around, from a story perspective. So, I am going to say...I enjoyed this one. 

Loved the shout out to the crappy movie being made in Hollywood Babylon (one of my favorite episodes!) and I always love when Dean is super excited and geeking out about stuff. Its one of the things I love about him the most. No matter how much his life sucks, and no matter how messed up he is, Dean always has such a love of life, and gets so passionate about the things he loves, even small things like yummy food and goofy horror movies. Its super endearing. And the episode had lots of good Sam and Dean stuff, with a lot of good banter, and I actually did really like the last conversation in the car. Its basically Sam saying what he SHOULD have said last week, that Dean did what he did for his family, and that he shouldn't feel guilty about what Michael did. Now, I would LOVE it if the show actually has someone really listen to Dean and deal with this latest emotional trauma, but this is at least better than last week, just brushing over all that drama to focus on the spin off that never happened. 

I liked the COTW, and its fun to get back to a classic ghost story, especially for Halloween. I was worried we were going to get a "fans are such assholes who take shit too seriously) episodes, but I thought it came off a bit more nuanced. You have nerds that get WAY too serious about their stuff, even when it makes them a total dickhead, but you also have nerds (like two other nerds at the shop) who seem to be perfectly nice and well adjusted, and are keeping their more asshole-ish friend around out of loyalty, and because he actually does have a more decent side as well. They get kind of into why people do like horror movies and other nerd stuff and why they can be a healthy outlet for peoples problems, as long as they dont get too obsessed, which I think is a good story, especially on a show that is, in fact, a horror show with a dedicated legion of fans that are still here 400 episodes later. 

So, while its weird to take a break from the many plots we`ve had so far this season, it was also kind of a nice break. 

7 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

Honestly it just makes the show seems like it lives in some sort of weird alternative universe where Jensen Ackles is somehow NOT one of the most ridiculously attractive men you're ever going see. Dean looks like Jensen Ackles ergo Dean Winchester is one of the most ridiculously good looking men you are ever going to see. LOL

Heh, I know right? Sam is pretty and all, but why does the show seem to think that Dean is just a normal looking average dude? Jenson is one of the most attractive people on television, which is certainly saying something! If Dean is considered an average dude, what world is this?!

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Heh, I know right? Sam is pretty and all, but why does the show seem to think that Dean is just a normal looking average dude? Jensen is one of the most attractive people on television, which is certainly saying something! If Dean is considered an average dude, what world is this?!

A world where some average and less-than-average looking men have the power over the characters' words? Heh.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I definitely missed this.

There was a Red Hood mannequin wearing the classic Jason Todd as Red Hood look with the helmet right by the door when Sam is trying to break out of the comic shop. The best thing about the episode was the easter eggs. The episode wasn't that good and Dean's weird disappearance at the beginning of the 3rd act made no sense.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Bergamot said:

I guess it might be something movie-related, but nothing comes to mind. To tell the truth, I just assumed that this was Dean's idea of what an insurance agent would look like, and I loved it! Dean has lived such a completely strange, unnatural, un-normal life since the age of four that he actually doesn't have any idea what it is like to be a normal, ordinary person, and when he tries to play the role of a normal person, he always gets it somehow weirdly off-kilter. It is very endearing. Remember him mowing the lawn in "What Is and What Should Never Be"?

(I especially liked the glasses he wore -- LOVE Dean in glasses! And it's not just me. Remember that one time when he was wearing them to hunt a hellhound, and Crowley complimented him and said how they really brought out his eyes? Hee!)

Yeah, I hadn't thought about it like that, but the way you put it makes sense.

• Love 1

Small moment that I really loved? When Sam and Dean were on their stakeout, and the guy started to come out, they both awkwardly slid down into their chairs. Oh, smooth as butter, you guys! Smooooooth as butter. 

I can just imagine the conversation when they get back home. "Hey, where did you guys go?" "Well, we had to go find a guy who was attacked by a killer action figure, and stop a ghost from killing his ex employee in the form of a slasher killer from a low rent horror movie! Oh, and Dean wanted to make a pizza run." "...ok"  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

The episode wasn't that good and Dean's weird disappearance at the beginning of the 3rd act made no sense.

Of course it did, Perez wrote the episode.

My main complaint was that "Hollywood Babylon" was SO MUCH BETTER, that the so-called homage (I call it lazy writing and stealing ideas) was an insult to Hollywood Babylon - especially the "trailer".  I know others liked Dean's jacket, but I don't care for the nerdy look on Dean while Sam is in a regular jacket. To me, Perez was trying too hard to say - "look, Dean's a nerd, but Sam isn't" JMO

• Love 3

I am going to claim that my hope for Jason Todd with Jensen was fulfilled. And I still hope this was a low-key meta announcement that Jensen will be in the next Batman film

50 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

Of course it did, Perez wrote the episode.

My main complaint was that "Hollywood Babylon" was SO MUCH BETTER, that the so-called homage (I call it lazy writing and stealing ideas) was an insult to Hollywood Babylon - especially the "trailer".  I know others liked Dean's jacket, but I don't care for the nerdy look on Dean while Sam is in a regular jacket. To me, Perez was trying too hard to say - "look, Dean's a nerd, but Sam isn't" JMO

That's one thing I don't have much issue with because Dean is a nerd at heart. Sam is a geek. Neither is bad.

• Love 1

Just finished watching the episode.  It was fun.  We used to get more lighthearted episodes it seems, but not so much anymore.  I'm not a horror movie fan, so I had to turn away for a few scenes, even in this show.  I hate slasher movies!!  

Unfortunately, I think the days of having wall-to-wall Sam and Dean episodes are long gone.  This is as close as we're going to get.  We were spoiled in the beginning seasons because it was just the two of them and it was great.  Now we have to deal with all sorts of other characters and filler scenes.  I wonder if the guys actually have it in their contracts as to how many scenes they have to shoot, or anything like that.  It wouldn't totally surprise me if they did.

Dean was definitely teasing Sam about having "girlie" hair.  Dean always makes fun of Sam's hair, and Sam was giving it right back to him by comparing him to the nerdy guy.  I just don't see it as any sort of commentary on how pretty Jared is vs. Dean.  Dean gets called out for being attractive quite a bit on the show, so there's no hiding that fact.  

I fully expect that we'll be seeing much more of just what went on when Dean was possessed by Michael.  They keep referring to it, so I'm fairly confident we're going to see more of it.  It was nice to hear Sam tell Dean to forgive himself because no one was blaming him for what he did.  He'll blame himself, because he always does that, but then so does Sam.  And they'll continue to do these stupid things because as soon as they stop, the show will be over.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This was a mixed bad for me. On its own, this was a fun, old school kind of episode, with Sam and Dean bantering and fighting some monster with some spooky stuff and wacky hijinks, like a super fan being attacked by a Thundercats toy. But, on the other hand, it seemed like a weirdly placed episode. With the exception of the one scene at the end where Sam and Dean talk about Michael, this could have been a season one or two episode, putting everything else going on awkwardly on hold. So, I guess Jack and Cas and the AU hunters and Michael were just...elsewhere? So that was weird. But, I cant complain about them not being around too much, as I think this show is usually better with a smaller cast anyway, and I really have no idea why the AU hunters are even around, from a story perspective. So, I am going to say...I enjoyed this one. 

Loved the shout out to the crappy movie being made in Hollywood Babylon (one of my favorite episodes!) and I always love when Dean is super excited and geeking out about stuff. Its one of the things I love about him the most. No matter how much his life sucks, and no matter how messed up he is, Dean always has such a love of life, and gets so passionate about the things he loves, even small things like yummy food and goofy horror movies. Its super endearing. And the episode had lots of good Sam and Dean stuff, with a lot of good banter, and I actually did really like the last conversation in the car. Its basically Sam saying what he SHOULD have said last week, that Dean did what he did for his family, and that he shouldn't feel guilty about what Michael did. Now, I would LOVE it if the show actually has someone really listen to Dean and deal with this latest emotional trauma, but this is at least better than last week, just brushing over all that drama to focus on the spin off that never happened. 

I liked the COTW, and its fun to get back to a classic ghost story, especially for Halloween. I was worried we were going to get a "fans are such assholes who take shit too seriously) episodes, but I thought it came off a bit more nuanced. You have nerds that get WAY too serious about their stuff, even when it makes them a total dickhead, but you also have nerds (like two other nerds at the shop) who seem to be perfectly nice and well adjusted, and are keeping their more asshole-ish friend around out of loyalty, and because he actually does have a more decent side as well. They get kind of into why people do like horror movies and other nerd stuff and why they can be a healthy outlet for peoples problems, as long as they dont get too obsessed, which I think is a good story, especially on a show that is, in fact, a horror show with a dedicated legion of fans that are still here 400 episodes later. 

So, while its weird to take a break from the many plots we`ve had so far this season, it was also kind of a nice break. 

Heh, I know right? Sam is pretty and all, but why does the show seem to think that Dean is just a normal looking average dude? Jenson is one of the most attractive people on television, which is certainly saying something! If Dean is considered an average dude, what world is this?!

(Bold part 1)

I think in the previous episode Sam kept asking for Dean to talk.  Sam was ready to listen right away IMO.  And not only did Dean tell him he was ‘okay’, he stopped Sam from even asking if he was okay with a preventative ‘Really, dude, I’m okay.’   Which Sam knew was a lie but it was also a clear indicator that a front assault on Dean’s emotional walls was not going to work. Could he have offered a ‘You did the right thing’ in addition to ‘I’m glad you’re back?’   Yes.  But right after Dean’s return, it was clear Dean did NOT want to talk about what happened.  And even just offering support for his previous actions is a ‘chick flick’ moment. So, all things considered, I had no problem with Sam just giving Dean space. 

And Jody also tried an opening regarding how Dean got away and Dean responded with bravado.  She also got a ‘I’m not really talking about this’ message.  

IMO it was clear both Sam and Jody were trying to be supportive of what Dean needed in that moment and chose to just work the case as that seemed to be what Dean was pushing for.  When Dean was rushing forward, Sam made it clear Dean was working through it and insisting on going it alone.  Which Jody said maybe that was the right answer. 

So I think Sam gave Dean his space rather than push.  Dean went into a ‘zen’ distraction mode of pizza and binge watching.  Yes, the extra people made him hide in his room but Dean was not ready to deal with anyone (not really even Sam).  Sam’s use of an interesting case to get Dean out of his ‘funk’ was probably the most helpful thing he COULD do to get Dean re-engaged. 

Let me be clear - if the way Dean needs to deal with his trauma is denial and distraction to get some time to pass, I don’t think that’s unreasonable.  I think Sam gave him a week of avoidance and then drew him out with a case.  I think it was the best way to support Dean given Dean’s feedback.

(Bold 2)

They used to offer up some comment every season in Dean’s looks (‘my you have delicate features for a hunter’, ‘the tall one or the cute one?’, ‘this pretty face’ in 14.1).  But his looks are incongruous with his character’s lifestyle.  , A grizzled hunter who eats junk food while still looking like an underwear model is one of Supernatural’s main leaps of faith.  Kind of like artificial gravity in Star Trek or Clark Kent’s glasses as a disguise.  It’s so ridiculous I think they choose to ignore it. Jared Padalecki is a freakin’ handsome man. Jensen Ackles’ beauty is so ridiculous it’s achieved sublime.  And rather than acknowledge it straight on, they ignore (while also dressing Michael in a gorgeous suit and then tuxedo). It makes no sense at all and yet kinda does as they don’t have a good explanation for why he’s such a gorgeous man. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I thought you said you liked her? LOL!

(RIP Madison, Sara, Eileen, etc, etc)

*sob*

I don't know what U.S. hospitals are like, but here they can be huge and sprawling. I have regular appointments at the Respiratory clinic in one of our big hospitals. I park in the back and have to walk quite a distance through the first floor to the elevator bank (a good five minute walk) and many times I can go the whole way without encountering another person. Now, if I started screaming like I was being murdered, I'm like 73% sure that someone would come out of the offices along the way, but still...

Lol. ?

• Love 1

I actually appreciated that Sam's Halloween trauma was so mundane and kind of normal, teenaged angst about embarassing yourself in front of a girl you have a crush on. Has he held on to it past a reasonable period of time for something like that? Probably. But he's kind of a messed up guy, so I'm okay with that. 

I really enjoyed this episode. I liked that Dean was annoyed about the strangers in his home; I always love Dean geeking out about things and bonding with schleppy fellow-nerds. This guy reminded me of Ronald and that can't be a bad thing. Plus, this guy lived!

I do feel like it's kind of sad that just having an episode where it's Sam and Dean on a hunt thrills me so much. 

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, SueB said:

They used to offer up some comment every season in Dean’s looks (‘my you have delicate features for a hunter’, ‘the tall one or the cute one?’, ‘this pretty face’ in 14.1).  But his looks are incongruous with his character’s lifestyle.  , A grizzled hunter who eats junk food while still looking like an underwear model is one of Supernatural’s main leaps of faith.  Kind of like artificial gravity in Star Trek or Clark Kent’s glasses as a disguise.  It’s so ridiculous I think they choose to ignore it. Jared Padalecki is a freakin’ handsome man. Jensen Ackles’ beauty is so ridiculous it’s achieved sublime.  And rather than acknowledge it straight on, they ignore (while also dressing Michael in a gorgeous suit and then tuxedo). It makes no sense at all and yet kinda does as they don’t have a good explanation for why he’s such a gorgeous man. 

I agree, but the show is pretty inconsistent with its attitude toward Dean's looks. At some points, it actually is addressed; I found it hilarious that Michael called him pretty ie. Jensen got to call himself pretty (in front of his wife, as well!). The female werewolf also called him elegant. But other times, Dean gets rejected for having a dad bod (11.13), gets pointedly blown off in favor of Cas/his brother (12.12, 13.15), is ludicrously called "equally pretty" as Cas (13.14). Cas in general seemed to get way more favorable attention for his looks in season 13, which was kind of weird, but I've also never personally found Misha particularly attractive, TBH. 

It just depends on the writer, I guess, and it varies on an episode-by-episode basis. But what never changes is Jensen, so it's jarring when the writers choose to actively deride his looks, especially for the purposes of propping up another character as being more desirable than Dean. The dissonance arises because we actually have functioning eyes.

• Love 6

I thought this was a fun episode. Even if Dean did mug Herb Tarlek. (It was me that said that, @ahrtee).

I appreciated that they came up with a plausible reason why Dean likes slasher fics, and those 80s fashions were spot on in the fake film.

And it was nice to have a simple monster of the week.

• Love 5