Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06 Results May Vary

22 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Still not really feeling this show, but it's improving.  Not a horrible episode.  I can do without Phyllis, though.  And the acting by the main characters?  Hope they're not expecting Emmy nominations.

Unfortunately I am still not feeling the show either, and thought this episode was cringe worthy. Bad writing and bad acting. The only character that I like is Avery, and I used to love all of the main characters. I came across the first season on DVD in a cupboard while fall cleaning, and am going to try to watch a few episodes to remind myself what an Emmy winning show it used to be. I know reboots generally are a few steps down in quality from the original, but for me the differences are huge. Already six episodes in, and I am not seeing any improvement from episode one. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Unfortunately I am still not feeling the show either, and thought this episode was cringe worthy. Bad writing and bad acting. The only character that I like is Avery, and I used to love all of the main characters. I came across the first season on DVD in a cupboard while fall cleaning, and am going to try to watch a few episodes to remind myself what an Emmy winning show it used to be. I know remakes generally are a few steps down in quality from the original, but for me the differences are huge. Already six episodes in, and I am not seeing any improvement from episode one. 

I was thinking that it had improved very slightly with the latest episode, not as preachy.  I find the acting very stilted.  They are like high school drama students waiting for a reaction from the audience after every line.  Maybe the directing is bad?  Maybe a combination of bad writing/acting/directing.  I have barely smiled, let alone laughed out loud.  anyway, I have nothing going on Thursdays at 9:30, so will probably try again, but I don't know for how long.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Tanichka said:

I was thinking that it had improved very slightly with the latest episode, not as preachy.  I find the acting very stilted.  They are like high school drama students waiting for a reaction from the audience after every line.  Maybe the directing is bad?  Maybe a combination of bad writing/acting/directing.  I have barely smiled, let alone laughed out loud.  anyway, I have nothing going on Thursdays at 9:30, so will probably try again, but I don't know for how long.

That is exactly what the quality of acting is reminding me of. The tech guy is particularity bad, but even the seasoned vets are acting like it is their first high school production. I had read that the ratings have been decreasing, but not sure how it is stacking up against other reboots. I watched a bit of Rosanne (forgot that The Conners has started) and Will and Grace. While neither made me a regular watcher, they were both superior to the Murphy reboot IMO. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, UsernameFatigue said:

Unfortunately I am still not feeling the show either, and thought this episode was cringe worthy. Bad writing and bad acting. The only character that I like is Avery, and I used to love all of the main characters. I came across the first season on DVD in a cupboard while fall cleaning, and am going to try to watch a few episodes to remind myself what an Emmy winning show it used to be. I know reboots generally are a few steps down in quality from the original, but for me the differences are huge. Already six episodes in, and I am not seeing any improvement from episode one. 

Bergen seems so low-energy here, it's hard to believe she's the same age as Tyne Daly. Boston Legal wasn't that long ago - she was so much sharper there. This is basically Life With Lucy 2.0

• Love 2
On 11/1/2018 at 7:16 PM, Tanichka said:

Still not really feeling this show, but it's improving.  Not a horrible episode.  I can do without Phyllis, though.  And the acting by the main characters?  Hope they're not expecting Emmy nominations.

But I bet there will be some sort of Emmy nod because, you know, Trump is the devil

• Love 1
14 hours ago, fpbl83 said:

Bergen seems so low-energy here, it's hard to believe she's the same age as Tyne Daly. Boston Legal wasn't that long ago - she was so much sharper there. This is basically Life With Lucy 2.0

I think that’s due to the fact that she had a stroke a few years ago. The fact that she recovered and still has the ability to move, walk, talk is amazing.

And the fact that these characters aren’t EXACTLY the same as they were, but still recognizable 20 years later is believable to me.

Add me to the list of those that find Pat annoying.

• Love 4
On 11/2/2018 at 10:49 AM, Tanichka said:

Actually funnier than the Murphy in the Morning bits.  Hey, there's an idea for a new show - Avery on the Wolf Network!

I don't think there's enough for a full half show, but I would love to see more of Avery on the Wolf Network on this show. Some episodes could have a Murphy storyline and an Avery storyline. 

On 11/2/2018 at 1:16 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I wonder if Avery is going to run into trouble with network execs over his friction with the Hannity analog. I think his implied threat would have a lot more weight behind it if he were working at a neutral network; the Wolf Network isn't going to depose their star mouthpiece in favor of someone who's essentially a token non-propagandist. He's a new hire, not Shepard Smith.

Maybe but it would probably be just a warning. I think the executives would understand it was a long day and he was tired. He's also the new guy so they would probably just chalk it up "I guess he wasn't ready for that yet." He didn't say anything shocking or terribly offensive so I can't picture the network doing something drastic like suspending him. 

22 hours ago, Eureka said:

It may be an unpopular opinion, but I am finding the Pat character very tiresome. We get it, anyone in his generation gets the tech stuff and older people don't. I feel like he's a broken record. (See now I am dating myself, lol, but I am Gen X, we had record players!)

Funny thing about thing. Vinyl records/record players made a come back a few years ago among millennials. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think that’s due to the fact that she had a stroke a few years ago. The fact that she recovered and still has the ability to move, walk, talk is amazing.

And the fact that these characters aren’t EXACTLY the same as they were, but still recognizable 20 years later is believable to me.

Exactly. The characters have changed a bit, same goes with the actors. It's in part what makes it believable to me as well.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Callaphera said:

I didn't know that until I saw the episode.

In my defense, I'm not American but I love me some snarky shows about American politics and while I'm not the target audience for Murphy Brown (because not American), I Learned Something New last night. 

If you love shows about American politics, I suggest The West Wing if you haven’t seen it already. It’s not snarky though; it’s a drama (& won the Outstanding Drama Series Emmy in each of its first 4 seasons; it ran for 7 seasons).

22 hours ago, andipandi said:

Pat could have found a more comfortable and stylish suit without looking like a circus clown/club kid.

I thought Miles bought him the suit because didn’t he spring on Pat at the last minute that they were going to have him run the numbers on the telecast since he’s the show’s resident tech nerd? I’m pretty sure somebody at least said something about how he looked like Miles. I may have to go watch it again on the CBS app.

• Love 2
On 03/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

It isn't the characters I am having a problem with, it is the writing and the actors portraying the characters. I find the writing low brow, which is a huge departure from the original Murphy Brown series which was sharp, witty and moving.  Candice Bergen was fine in the movie Book Club which was released this year, so it isn't like she can't act due to a previous stroke. It is like they are all bringing each other down, and it may stem from the writing. I would expect the characters to change somewhat 20 years later, as they did in Rosanne, and in Will and Grace. But in Will and Grace (which I have watched more episodes of) I can recognize the previous series in the current one. Not so with MB, for me at least. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 6
30 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I absolutely love the character of Pat. I have adjoining offices with computer geeks and he is spot-on!

The writing for him isn't great but I do like him.  The show needs some younger characters to balance out the older ones.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

If you love shows about American politics, I suggest The West Wing if you haven’t seen it already. It’s not snarky though; it’s a drama (& won the Outstanding Drama Series Emmy in each of its first 4 seasons; it ran for 7 seasons).

I've seen it so many times (and own it on DVD) that I can almost quote most episodes from heart. I'd disagree, though. There's a fair amount of snark in the West Wing, it's just not as in-your-face as a half-hour comedy. I still get chills and get a bit teary eyed when President Bartlett rants to God in Latin. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

It isn't the characters I am having a problem with, it is the writing and the actors portraying the characters. I find the writing low brow, which is a huge departure from the original Murphy Brown series which was sharp, witty and moving.  Candice Bergen was fine in the movie Book Club which was released this year, so it isn't like she can't act due to a previous stroke. It is like they are all bringing each other down, and it may stem from the writing. I would expect the characters to change somewhat 20 years later, as they did in Rosanne, and in Will and Grace, But in Will and Grace (which I have watched more episodes of) I can recognize the previous series in the current one. Not so with MB, for me at least. 

Well it’s not objective-Speaking only for myself, I’m loving the hell out of this even if it’s not as sharp as the early seasons. I won’t say like the original because this show is not a reboot with different actors playing the same characters. This is the only new show I’m watching that I am enjoying. The other not so much and am only watching because of my love for one of the actors.

But We like what we like. Or don’t like.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well it’s not objective-Speaking only for myself, I’m loving the hell out of this even if it’s not as sharp as the early seasons. I won’t say like the original because this show is not a reboot with different actors playing the same characters. This is the only new show I’m watching that I am enjoying. The other not so much and am only watching because of my love for one of the actors.

But We like what we like. Or don’t like.

Word. Very well said. It's still a nice show for what it is. I'm enjoying seeing everyone again and just seeing what life has done to them.

• Love 6
On 2018-11-02 at 10:04 AM, answerphone said:

My only fleeting negative thought was that Murphy wouldn't allow all the disposable plastic and styrofoam containers Phyllis brought with the snacks.

I think they were the "new kind," the ones that are made of recycled materials which can again be recycled. We have them at my work.

On 2018-11-02 at 5:01 PM, eel2178 said:

However, are we really supposed to believe that people don't know DACA recipients aren't eligible to vote? That seems pretty naïve.

I'm Canadian, so I don't know all the US laws, which is why I originally asked the question.  I know that Miguel had been in the US since he was 2, so I thought he was a legal resident at this point.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, AEMom said:

I'm Canadian, so I don't know all the US laws, which is why I originally asked the question.  I know that Miguel had been in the US since he was 2, so I thought he was a legal resident at this point.

Heck, I bet 90% of US citizens don't know that.  

• Love 8
On 11/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, tessaray said:

The show needs some younger characters to balance out the older ones.  

This got me thinking. I would love to see Pat and Avery have a conversation (just the two of them) even if it's short. Maybe Avery and Pat run into each at Phil's or something.  

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 6
On 11/1/2018 at 8:23 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I want to see more of Avery at the Wolf Network.

Amen to that. 

I was surprised that they didn't cut out the line about the Nevada brothel owner candidate, who died a few weeks ago. 

I laughed when Corky swore and Pat's shocked face appeared between the two screens in the background. 

I also liked Frank's red, white, and blue socks. 

Like a few other posters, I wondered why they did this show *before* the election, but then I really liked the end. Elections have consequences. 

• Love 5
On 11/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, tessaray said:

The writing for him isn't great but I do like him.  The show needs some younger characters to balance out the older ones.  

His amazement at Murphy's flip phone in episode one was spot on. Hell, I made fun of my father "vintage" flip phone, and then had to help him when he finally got a smart phone. I still laugh at the lack of apps on it when he asks me to figure out how to use something on it. Oh, and I'm in my 50's.

Avery is the gem in this reboot. He's quick, sharp and sarcastic...like a male version of young Murphy. The older cast sometimes seems stiff, but hey...they're older. John Goodman and Roseanne seemed a little off on their timing, too, when Roseanne first came back. I'm loving this reboot. I got bored after a few episodes of Will and Grace, but this one still has my interest (as does The Conners). 

I wish Netflix would pick up the old Murphy Brown series and put it up for binging. 

• Love 12
13 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I wish Netflix would pick up the old Murphy Brown series and put it up for binging. 

It would be wonderful, but it's probably not going to happen. When the show licensed music during it's original run, it only covered the first airing and reruns, because in the late 1980s-1990s, the home market did not really exist nor did streaming. It would be incredibly expensive to go back and get the rights for all of those great girl gorups, soul, and Motown songs. That being said, it's not impossible because The Wonder Years had a similiar issue and was on Netflix with most of the music intact. 

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, Mystery said:

Like a few other posters, I wondered why they did this show *before* the election, but then I really liked the end. Elections have consequences. 

When was the last time a mid-term election preempted an entire night of television? I can't believe we get nothing else to watch tonight.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:49 AM, Tanichka said:

Actually funnier than the Murphy in the Morning bits.  Hey, there's an idea for a new show - Avery on the Wolf Network!

I really think that’s what the “reboot” should have been.  Us watching Avery navigate Wolf Network as Murphy’s kid and living at home with Mom.  We still could have had the strong moments the show has given us so far — the #metoo episode and the one with Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  We still could have Frank, Corky and the others guest star.  The writers are too bogged down honoring the old show but making it current.  They are failing on all sides.  I don’t see this current show lasting past this season.

On 11/4/2018 at 7:38 PM, Mystery said:

The writers probably didn’t want to get in a South Park situation where the 2016 season was planned around Hilary winning. They had to rewrite the show after the election in 2 days then scrap most of their big storylines for the rest of the season.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

His amazement at Murphy's flip phone in episode one was spot on. Hell, I made fun of my father "vintage" flip phone, and then had to help him when he finally got a smart phone. I still laugh at the lack of apps on it when he asks me to figure out how to use something on it. Oh, and I'm in my 50's.

I work with a bunch of millennials.  And one day (about 3 years ago), one of the younguns saw my phone sitting on my desk and said "Oh my God!  Do you have a FLIP PHONE?!"  It was hilarious.

I did finally switch to a smartphone 2 years ago.  My plan was $10/month and I honestly didn't need more than that until then.  I'm in my late 40's.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Saylii said:

I really think that’s what the “reboot” should have been.  Us watching Avery navigate Wolf Network as Murphy’s kid and living at home with Mom.

Absolutely!  I would watch Avery, for sure!  The rest of the cast doesn't seem to be able to act their ways out of paper bags.

37 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

The rest of the cast doesn't seem to be able to act their ways out of paper bags.

That seems a bit harsh for a show that won a slew of awards including 3 Emmys to Candice Bergen.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

That seems a bit harsh for a show that won a slew of awards including 3 Emmys to Candice Bergen.

To each his own, but the acting is very stilted and amateurish.  The Emmys were awarded for the show that was on 20 years ago, and I’m not sure Candice was ever much of an actor.

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Not to mention Tyne Daly has herself won many prestigious entertainment industry awards, including 6 Emmys for 3 different roles & a 1990 Tony Award for her portrayal of Mama Rose in the revival of Gypsy.

Tyne Daly on Wikipedia

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
  • Love 8
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, AEMom said:

I must have missed that point when the character was introduced.  Thanks!

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, izabella said:

There are lots and lots of people who don't know that DACA recipients can neither vote nor can they apply for citizenship - ever.  They also don't know that legal resident immigrants who are not citizens cannot vote.  They are many who don't know that illegal immigrants cannot vote, nor is there any path to legal residency or citizenship for them, either.  Which is why they often ask, "they've been in this country for years, why didn't they bother to become citizens?" and don't know the answer is "they can't."

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, Kohola3 said:

I'd wager that there are a majority of citizens haven't heard about The Dreamers until very recently.  And a majority of people seem to believe that undocumented aliens can walk into this country and sign up for all kinds of welfare.  They can't.  Even legal immigrants who are not yet citizens are denied most assistance. 

Which is why the fear mongering surrounding immigrants is so absurd.

There's lots of fear-mongering on both sides out there, and it's truly sad.  What's sadder is that people on both sides will accept what is told to them, and not think for themselves, or research, and if you attempt to show them, they rail back and say your sources are biased or otherwise incorrect.  My politics sit somewhere in the middle, and I see people to the far end of both sides essentially play the same game, just different players.  Mr. Funky has a cousin on the far right.  NOTHING I show her from any source, unless it's on her small approved list is good enough.  It's all fake to her.  I have a friend on the far left.  He's exactly the same way, but don't point that out to either of them - it gets ugly.

12 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

It would be wonderful, but it's probably not going to happen. When the show licensed music during it's original run, it only covered the first airing and reruns, because in the late 1980s-1990s, the home market did not really exist nor did streaming. It would be incredibly expensive to go back and get the rights for all of those great girl gorups, soul, and Motown songs. That being said, it's not impossible because The Wonder Years had a similiar issue and was on Netflix with most of the music intact. 

The Wonder Years got a (expensive) DVD release.  I have it.  Most of the music is there.  Same with WKRP in Cincinnati.  They put out crappy DVD's a number of years ago and they were re-released about 3-4 years ago with most of the original music - only a few holdouts.  I have, but rarely watch, the commercial releases of Beavis And Butthead because the videos aren't on them, and that was 3/4 of the fun.

4 hours ago, Saylii said:

I really think that’s what the “reboot” should have been.  Us watching Avery navigate Wolf Network as Murphy’s kid and living at home with Mom.  We still could have had the strong moments the show has given us so far — the #metoo episode and the one with Sarah Huckabee Sanders.  We still could have Frank, Corky and the others guest star.  The writers are too bogged down honoring the old show but making it current.  They are failing on all sides.  I don’t see this current show lasting past this season.

The writers probably didn’t want to get in a South Park situation where the 2016 season was planned around Hilary winning. They had to rewrite the show after the election in 2 days then scrap most of their big storylines for the rest of the season.

I wouldn't watch a show solely about Avery.  It wouldn't interest me at all.  I don't expect much from this show, and as such, I am enjoying it.

South Park has suffered greatly from that misstep.  So many storylines left un-resolved, and they keep on with one long drawn-out storyline that should have been done with eons ago instead of their original format, which was that not many shows linked back to others.  I still watch in the hopes that it will get better.  The Halloween ep was a step in the right direction.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Tanichka said:

The Emmys were awarded for the show that was on 20 years ago, and I’m not sure Candice was ever much of an actor.

Wow.  Guess all of those Emmy voters were wrong - five times. Maybe she just lost all of her talent because she's, well, old.

• Love 13
21 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:
2 hours ago, Tanichka said:

The Emmys were awarded for the show that was on 20 years ago, and I’m not sure Candice was ever much of an actor.

Wow.  Guess all of those Emmy voters were wrong - five times. Maybe she just lost all of her talent because she's, well, old.

Yes, they were wrong & she's not a good actor.  I've seen crap performances win several times (Julia Roberts, Katherine Heigl)  She was good in "Miss Congeniality" though - her finest work, in my opinion.  LOL

http://www.zimbio.com/The+Most+Undeserving+Emmy+Winners+Ever/articles/r5NXZOzZEXF/Murphy+Brown

Well, I feel they were correct five times and she's great.  I have been watching the old shows and loving her delivery of lines. 

Guess you'll have that half an hour on Thursday back to watch something you enjoy!

• Love 23
On 11/2/2018 at 9:53 PM, fpbl83 said:

On 11/3/2018 at 12:50 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Exactly, plus Boston Legal ended 10 years ago. A lot can happen in ten years at any age, but especially as people get to the "senior citizen" age bracket.

I was busy with work these last two weeks, so I just finally caught up with the last two weeks of episodes. There really isn't much left for me to add--I'll admit that I wasn't as crazy about this episode as I was the one the week before it (and I love stuff about elections so that's not why!), but there were still some very strong and funny moments, especially the Dan  Quayle line and the way the Wolf woman's smile looked like it was about to crack every few seconds.

Wasn't that town in New Hampshire featured extensively in an episode of The West Wing? Am I remembering that correctly? 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, UYI said:

I was busy with work these last two weeks, so I just finally caught up with the last two weeks of episodes. There really isn't much left for me to add--I'll admit that I wasn't as crazy about this episode as I was the one the week before it (and I love stuff about elections so that's not why!), but there were still some very strong and funny moments, especially the Dan  Quayle line and the way the Wolf woman's smile looked like it was about to crack every few seconds.

Wasn't that town in New Hampshire featured extensively in an episode of The West Wing? Am I remembering that correctly?

It was the same idea, a small town in New England (New Hampshire), with a very small population of legal voting age, is the first to vote in each election, usually shortly after midnight on Election Day morning; but they gave the town a fake name in this ep & in The West Wing. In TWW, the town was called Hartsfield’s Landing & mentioned in their S3. It had a different name, which I’m confused on the spelling of, in this ep. In reality, we mainly hear of Dixville Notch, NH, in school & wherever (at least I did), but there’s another town, Hart’s Location, NH, which also votes shortly after midnight on the early morning of Election Day.

• Love 4

It took me a bit to realize that "Haggerty" was the replacement for "Hannity".  I loved Avery's facial expressions while "trump" was going on and on during his call in, as well as "Haggerty's" expressions.  My only surprise at the female sychophant was that she wasn't blonde.

My favorite line was Frank saying to Pat "way to get your inner Kornacki there".  Ah, only MSNBC watchers will appreciate that one.

• Love 3