Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Chapter 73

House of Cards -- The show that went 'Hold My Beer' when you say Dexter was the worst series finale of all time.  

This was just a crapfest -- it decidedly felt like everyone involved went 'Well, we are getting paid, so who cares.'

From plot lines still left dangling....plot lines that went beyond implausible (Even by HoC standards), and logical flaws that even suspension of disbelief wouldn't remotely cover (The Secret Service is going to let a former homicidal mental patient stay alone in the Oval with POTUS?  , an Seriously?  Come ON writers....), and SoC faking her own death?  New Characters that made no sense whatsoever.

I don't expect it to be 100% by-the-book believable...but this went into farce...then ended like...we're out.  See ya!

• Love 6
16 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I was watching the last 2 episodes yesterday and thought, I have no fucking idea what is going on here. How many people can one person kill and get away with it? How did they explain Jane's death?  From a migraine? On the set of Battlestar Gallactica? WTF was that thing she was in? 

Jane died exactly how Kathy was said to have died in her faked death.  At Kathy's wake her brother said Kathy called him complaining that her head hurt migraine bad and she was going to the doctor and died in the car on the way.  Since Jane died in the "Claire cleans house" episode, and Claire lists her off as someone that is dead during the same talk with Doug that included her saying to the camera that she didn't enjoy shortening 3 lives, I think it is safe to assume Claire had her killed.  I assume the murder via embolism was a pointed fuck you to Jane for helping Kathy fake her death.

Regarding the pregnancy I fan wanked that having some embryos on ice just in case is totally the type of shit Frank and Claire would do.  Apparently you can still carry a baby after menopause if it's stuck in via IVF and you get hormone therapy.  

• Love 1

I was telling a coworker about the last season and I stopped and said " you know this is impossible. I don't even know what was going on. It ended without finishing one story line, other than Claire Underwood is a serial killer."  

I'm not even sure if I knew why everyone hated her so much. Other than she got the Presidency under fishy circumstances. 

• Love 2
On 11/10/2018 at 3:36 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well interesting to know that he was supposed to be Frank's son. 

But even so, as I stated before, these are writers and its fiction.  I think they stopped production for awhile after the Spacey allegations.  They could have just done their job and wrote it differently.  Or really I am not sure why since Frank died and Spacey wasn't on this season they still couldn't have revealed he was supposed to be Frank's son.  Just because Spacey was gone and Frank was dead doesn't mean the story couldn't happen that way

That would explain the random inclusion of the bathroom conversation about Frank having had sex with Diane Lane but not being "all in."  Ewh.

What was with the random other mental patient that was with Doug and then there was like one follow up to it and that was it for the character?  Should I have remembered who he was?  His make up was so bad I thought it was going to be Frank in disguise.

That ending sucked.  It was so lazy.  I wasn't paying too much attention on the last episode and I looked up and it was just over.  I was waiting for the next episode and ... nothing.  The whole season was Claire killing off anyone who knew anything.  Super boring.  

• Love 2

At least Tom's dog lived. Other than that, I'm so confused. 

Most of the storylines made zero sense, but Doug killing Francis? That man stole a liver for him, he would never kill him.

Over acting by Lane and Kinnear ruined that storyline. By the end, I wanted them both dying on the pretty porch.

Show should have not come back. 

• Love 4
On 11/8/2018 at 10:12 PM, Meedis said:

Also when Janine the reporter was shouting on the phone about Doug not meeting her and how she will get the story out herself, I totally was waiting for either a bullet to take her out or her car to explode as she was speeding off.     I'm surprised they didn't go there....LOL.

Same.  I kept waiting for the bullet.

I am so glad I wasn't alone in disliking this.  What a crapfest.  

I also kept waiting for Claire to take off the strap on belly she was wearing, because I did not believe she would be pregnant.  

I also hated the flashbacks showing her be a "victim."  That's some Criminal Minds shit writing right there, where every crazy must have had a terrible childhood.  Why can't a psychopath just be a psychopath?  

I couldn't understand why Doug was so determined to take her down, but in the next breath seemed to be helping her out.  I wondered if Claire was going to sleep with him.

Doug never would have killed Frank. They would have done better to have Clair do it.  

Blech.

• Love 1

Good lord, this was embarrassing.   This set having a  woman as President back a bit.

I liked the idea of showing young Claire so maybe we could figure out how she turned out the way she did---but it was a mess.

I kind of wish she and Doug had just killed each other and the last shot had been the 2 of them in a pool of blood with the Secret Service in the doorway trying to figure out what happened.

I was glad when someone suggested the baby would have been Tom's--Claire and Tom would have had a cute little girl with at least a 50% chance of not being a psycho.

This show went steadily down hill since Beau Willimon ran it---when Spacey was fired they should have let it go.    

• Love 5
12 hours ago, car54 said:

I kind of wish she and Doug had just killed each other and the last shot had been the 2 of them in a pool of blood with the Secret Service in the doorway trying to figure out what happened.

That would have been 100% better than what they did, trying to make us swallow the bullshit.

I know the show became something ridiculous in so many levels but that doesn't decrease my annoyance at how easy they make it for someone to just walk in the West Wing, go to the Oval Office, get in and have an argument with the president and nobody even question that. There is no way Doug had ALL THE SECRET SERVICE in his pocket. And how about everyone else that works there? The guy was shady as fuck, publicly so. Even if he was pardoned, he would not simply walk in like that. It is virtually impossible to visit the West Wing if the president is there unless you are specifically invited by some senior staff, the president, or if there is an event you are invited, and vetted, to attend. 

And I am still waiting for the Russo "suicide" forensics to come back because that murder was sloppy.

• Love 2

Sigh.  I had such high hopes for this season.  What a colossal letdown.   I only kept watching for the dog.  The nameless black lab.   At least he survived.   

I shouldn't care but a few things really bugged the crap outta me:

• Doug kissing Janine; and then him petting the dog and Janine saying "Why don't you leave him alone?"  WTF was that all about?  Made zero sense.
  • And the conversation between Mature Claire and Young Claire about Lucifer.  HUH???? 

OMG.  This was more disappointing than I ever imagined. :( 

• Love 3

I love how Claire and Petrov can go from threatening each other to discussing what's on the menu for lunch without a pause.

When Annette said that she and Mark were having sex again, I had a millisecond where I thought she was talking to her brother and I was like OMG THEY WENT THERE?!

I love that now that Mark is no longer VP, he has nothing else to do but scheme, have sex with Annette, and drive around in beatnik turtlenecks while smoking.

Ha, the thought of Seth and Doug running off together for the crankiest road trip ever had me cracking up.

I was afraid Janine's car was going to blow up after she left that message for Doug.

DAMN, Doug is the one who killed Francis?!

For some reason, I thought this season was ten episodes so when Claire stabbed Doug, I thought ooh, what is going to happen in the final two episodes?

• Love 3

The actor who played Duncan was playing The Antichrist on American Horror Story in the weeks leading up to this season's release. Out of all the interviews he did, he mentioned HOC maybe once, only when asked. When he didn't bother posting anything about HOC on Instagram when the season started the way he did for every other show he'd been in, I knew it was going to suck.

• Love 3

I think I finally understand...this whole series was a meta statement.  The house of cards was not the fictional world inside the show, but the show itself.  It started out strong but came crashing down at the end.  ;-)

Seriously, they should have left us hanging with Season 5 if they couldn't do a final season justice.  Even without KS, they had ample opportunity to bring the story to a satisfying conclusion, but they chose this route instead.  The only thing I've been waiting for since the first season was to see the downfall of Frank and Claire Underwood.  An offscreen death and Claire as president was not the resolution I needed.  

Aside from the abrupt finale, the too many new plot points and general WTF'ness, there didn't seem to be a clear vision for this season.  Were we supposed to be rooting for Claire and her "women first" agenda?  Were we supposed to hate her and root for Psycho Doug to take her down?  Were the Shepherd's supposed to be so evil that Claire seemed good by comparison?   By the end, I was hoping the dog would go Cujo and take everyone out.  What a waste of time.

• Love 3

This season had no agenda, no plot, no story, no cohesion, no sense...a complete WTF

This is what I thought would make sense:

1) Frank is dead, by natural causes or by Claire or by ??? (which we don't know right away); 2) Duncan is Frank's biological child, thus impeding with Claire's inheritance (there is no pregnancy story line); 3) Claire does whatever is necessary criminal or otherwise to gain said inheritance; 4) Tom Hammerschmidt gains an ally with Doug, who are working together to bring Claire and the Underwood legacy down.  They succeed, and Claire is walked out of the oval office in handcuffs facing murder charges for both Frank and Tom and anyone else who got in her way.  End scene.

• Love 6
On 11/25/2018 at 10:27 PM, leocadia said:

By the end, I was hoping the dog would go Cujo and take everyone out.  

LOL, Yes!  It would have made more sense for the dog to have been the one that killed Frank too.    A reincarnation of the dog he killed in the very first scene of the series.   Revenge.  A dog takes down the House of Cards.  Heh. 

• Love 2

This was so awful I don't know if I should waste any energy posting about it. I think the ending we're supposed to take from this is that the fight goes on. We get the speech from Usher about how things never change, and we see Janine promising to never give up while Doug's left her the information she needs to move forward, and we see Claire take out all her immediate opponents and scare even Petrov with how far she'll go. But it was all handled so clumsily. I didn't give a shit about any of it. Entire episodes were just people double-talking about backstabbing one another. I didn't know how cared about what or why. It was all so pointless and wasted. The show was bad last season with Spacey, but at least he had the charisma to drive the plot. Claire was a good foil to him as this cold, calculating monster; but I couldn't give two shits about her once it was all her show. She was written as this cold robot driven to power to balance the hot-headed Francis. Without him, it's just stupid.

And it was all so poorly written too. I don't get why Claire even cared about Frank's will. She's the President and comes from a wealthy family. Why does she need his stuff? And if she needs it so bad, killing Doug seems a lot easier than getting pregnant after menopause and 3 abortions and pushing 60. No cohesion. No real story other than killing everyone. Ugh. What a waste of my fucking time.

• Love 2