Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E07: The Grant Allocation Derivation

Leonard is caught between a rock and a hard place when he’s responsible for distributing extra grant money. Also, Bernadette turns the backyard playhouse into a hideaway from her husband and kids.

Airdate: Thursday, November 1, 2018

My son and his wife have two children - one turned two in September and the baby is turning one in December.  I am definitely going to recommend they catch this episode.  I think my DIL in particular will be able to identity with Bernadette!

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this episode.

I want a little playhouse I can escape into! ESP one with electricity that can make snacks!

i love that Leonard gave the grant money to himself. Did not see that coming!

I hope the “crows are out for revenge” is carried over for a few episodes.

• Love 12

I loved Howard in this one.

I know we don't really see much about what their actual jobs are...maybe that's why I have a hard time believing they would put a random physics researcher in charge of allocating grant money. 

Also had a hard time believing that the easy bake oven would produce something that hot. ;) (My mom used to just put my little cake pans in the real oven because they didn't actually bake otherwise.)

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

. . . a hard time believing they would put a random physics researcher in charge of allocating grant money. 

Also had a hard time believing that the easy bake oven would produce something that hot. ;) (My mom used to just put my little cake pans in the real oven because they didn't actually bake otherwise.)

Yes, it looks like the final season is going to get more and more unbelievable. I wonder if it's more a matter of the writers figuring they might as well use the material that they personally think is their best since there are no long term consequences, or if the writers don't care as much anymore. Probably some of each.

I have to use a standing desk because of chronic, increasing sciatica pain when I sit. It is exhausting. Nobody understands, including TBBT writers—unless—maybe one of them does understand and that literal throwaway line was him or her venting for us. Yeah. I'm going with that.

20 MINUTES AGO, KARIYAKI SAID:

Drat, what a missed opportunity for a joke about a murder of crows.

Maybe it will show up in the outtakes.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I have to use a standing desk because of chronic, increasing sciatica pain when I sit. It is exhausting. Nobody understands, including TBBT writers—unless—maybe one of them does understand and that literal throwaway line was him or her venting for us. Yeah. I'm going with that.

My coworker hurt her back a few months ago and fashioned a makeshift standing desk with a cardboard box. There is one woman at work who has a real one, but I don't know who paid for it. 

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I loved Howard in this one.

I know we don't really see much about what their actual jobs are...maybe that's why I have a hard time believing they would put a random physics researcher in charge of allocating grant money. 

Howard has come a long way, but he is still Howard, no life insurance.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

If ever there was a person who could figure out a way to juice up an easy bake oven, I’d bet Howard could. 

• Love 20
10 minutes ago, Lady J said:

Howard has come a long way, but he is still Howard, no life insurance.

True. With a wife and two kids, that's just dumb. (I wonder if Bernie has life insurance...)

I just loved that he knew all along that she was hiding in the play house and didn't mind that she was sticking him with the kids. (And damn, that thing sure beats my mini-picnic table under the overhang behind my bedroom! All I had was mudpies and mini-tupperware, not easy bake oven quesadillas!)

Just now, kariyaki said:

If ever there was a person who could figure out a way to juice up an easy bake oven, I’d bet Howard could. 

Also a very good point. :)

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I love that Howard knew Bernadette was hiding in there all along and understood why she needed a break.

2 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

I liked this one. The girl's club in the playhouse was great, as was Howard's secretly knowing about it and understanding why.

MTE. That was super sweet. 

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Wouldn't that be covered by HR and not grant money? 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I am (obviously) not sure how old you are, but the "new" Easy-Bake Ovens use "heating elements" now because the 100-watt incandescent light bulbs are obsolete.

These new ovens work much better.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Professors get drafted into administrative tasks all the time, but usually this sort of thing would be done by a committee, not one person with unquestionable authority (especially since the money didn't seem to be earmarked for a specific department). I guess we are supposed to accept that the amount was small enough that that would be overkill. 

A lot of budgets are effectively "use it or lose it". (If you don't spend your whole budget the powers that be assume you didn't need it and give you less next year). So often there's a rush to find ways to spend money at the end of the fiscal year. Though I've never seen management afraid to make the call on who gets what, they rather like it, I think. :-)

• Love 11
47 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

I am (obviously) not sure how old you are, but the "new" Easy-Bake Ovens use "heating elements" now because the 100-watt incandescent light bulbs are obsolete.

I had the Sears version of the Easy Bake called the "Junior Chef" oven back in the late '60s and it worked much better than the Easy Bake my friends had even with the light bulb.  I was amazed at how well it worked, and damn a 100 watt light bulb could get HOT!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I love that Howard knew Bernadette was hiding in there all along and understood why she needed a break.

I was glad until it turned out that he was saving it for when she found out about the life insurance. But for a moment, I thought that Howard was a great guy. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My coworker hurt her back a few months ago and fashioned a makeshift standing desk with a cardboard box. There is one woman at work who has a real one, but I don't know who paid for it. 

My brother& a few of his co workers just got standing desks. My bro loves his. It's auto or electric so quite easy to change up/down. I was surprised Leonard dismissed the standing desk so quickly.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Not to nitpick, but having been an executive assistant for a long time in large organizations, there should be a separate budget for office supplies such as standing desks.  It shouldn't be coming out of the same budget as scientific projects.  Plus, if the person produces a doctor's note, they're kind of under pressure to give it to them.  But yeah, I know this is only TV.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Quark said:

3-D chess made a comeback!

I liked it that we got to see Sheldon and Leonard just sitting and doing something together, like the good old days. Sheldon was actually listening to Leonard and tried to help him with his dilemma.  Sheldon was right in not solving his problem for him, but I was impressed that he listened and gave him advice.  Sheldon isn't known for his empathy in these types of situations.  

• Love 12

I don’t usually nitpick shows like this but for some reason this drove me crazy... where were the kids at the end when Raj and Howard were in the hot tub and the girls were in the play house? I’m assuming they were supposed to be in bed but that it bothers me that Howard didn’t bring out a baby monitor or something. If he did I obviously missed it! 

Otherwise I really enjoyed this episode!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, srpturtle80 said:

I don’t usually nitpick shows like this but for some reason this drove me crazy... where were the kids at the end when Raj and Howard were in the hot tub and the girls were in the play house? I’m assuming they were supposed to be in bed but that it bothers me that Howard didn’t bring out a baby monitor or something. If he did I obviously missed it! 

Otherwise I really enjoyed this episode!

Stuart was probably watching them. 

• Love 15

I was afraid they were going to go with the old trope of Howard and Raj having an embarrassing conversation in the hot tub, like reminiscing about the old days of hiring prostitutes in Las Vegas, that the women would overhear.  And then the rest of the episode would have been people being mad and people apologizing.  I'm glad they used the twist of Howard knowing all along.  

I also liked that Amy and Sheldon are secure in their relationship that they don't have to lie to each other to get personal space.  Although Amy jumping on Penny in the hallway and insisting on knowing where she was going was rather disturbing.  Amy's FOMO radar was funny but the interrogation was cringeworthy rather than humorous.  Writers, you need to find a lighter touch!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

A bank associated with a major insurance provider makes top-line ergonomic chairs and adjustable desks (useable sitting or standing at almost-infinite adjustments)  standard issue for ALL its back-office employees, even entry-level, unskilled clerks. And last I heard, the bank is doing very well. 

TLDR: flat joke, too easy *and* too “off.”

• Love 3

Everyone brought their A game.  I really liked this episode a lot.  Both stories worked for me and identified with both.  I've been the frazzled mom who needed an escape room and I've been the administrator who has to make decisions that I know some people are not going to be happy about.   

• Love 8
1 hour ago, srpturtle80 said:

I actually liked that they have people live normal lives without incessant concern over children who are safely asleep in their cribs.  They weren't down at the corner bar they were in their own backyard.  We have family friends who are so obsessed with their baby's safety that they have a camera in the child's room and they are constantly checking on their sound asleep baby,  It's excessive.  I just hope for the child's sake that they don't keep that camera going when he's older!

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Not to nitpick, but having been an executive assistant for a long time in large organizations, there should be a separate budget for office supplies such as standing desks.  It shouldn't be coming out of the same budget as scientific projects.  Plus, if the person produces a doctor's note, they're kind of under pressure to give it to them.  But yeah, I know this is only TV.

Yep.  I read this as someone trying to get a standing desk who had no real need for it so was just trying their luck by going through Leonard - on a level with a coy pond for the office.  Or else writers who have no real clue how budgets actually work, especially in big organizations with HR departments

Which leads me to my question - some of the stuff that was requested cost $ and some probably cost $$$ so did it end that Leonard only had enough for one project or did he fund smaller things and just have enough left for one big ticket item?  This had me a little confused.  I did like the way Leonard resolved things though.  Good for him!  If you're going to have everyone mad anyway you may as well get something out of it!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

have to use a standing desk because of chronic, increasing sciatica pain when I sit. It is exhausting. Nobody understands, including TBBT writers—unless—maybe one of them does understand and that literal throwaway line was him or her venting for us. Yeah. I'm going with tha

This was research money,though.  An inappropriate place to ask for office equipment.  I'm sure they have other money for that kind of stuff.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

There was only enough money for one grant and Siebert didn't want to take any heat for his choice, so he put that person in charge of its allocation, fully expecting Leonard to do what he did.

13 hours ago, Latverian Diplomat said:

Professors get drafted into administrative tasks all the time, but usually this sort of thing would be done by a committee, not one person with unquestionable authority (especially since the money didn't seem to be earmarked for a specific department).

Leonard was free to assemble a committee if he wanted, but he would have been criticized for who he picked or didn't pick to be on it.

• Love 2

It was nice seeing an episode that didn't revolve around Sheldon for a change. It's been discussed over on the The Conners forum but Johnny Galecki is a seriously underrated actor. Jim Parsons gets all the attention and awards because his role is so odd, but the nuances to Galecki's acting are amazing if you've seen how easily he slipped back into his old character on Roseanne. It's been established that Leonard has asthma, because we've seen him use an inhaler in the past, and he has this chronic nasal tone to his voice that's so consistent and subtle I've never even noticed it until I saw him playing David again on the Roseanne reboot. 

My favorite line was when the administrator told Leonard he would get some patsy to make the decision so he wouldn't have to play the bad guy, and Leonard says "That's a really good idea . . . ohhhhhhhhhh."

• Love 11
32 minutes ago, Katy M said:
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

have to use a standing desk because of chronic, increasing sciatica pain when I sit. It is exhausting. Nobody understands, including TBBT writers—unless—maybe one of them does understand and that literal throwaway line was him or her venting for us. Yeah. I'm going with tha

This was research money,though.  An inappropriate place to ask for office equipment.  I'm sure they have other money for that kind of stuff.

Sure. I just wish they'd even spared a few words for Leonard to say something like "Research grant funds are not for HR needs!" because the way he tossed it aside made it seem frivolous rather than a medical necessity—which I invariably have to explain to people who come into my office. Sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up here.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Sure. I just wish they'd even spared a few words for Leonard to say something like "Research grant funds are not for HR needs!" because the way he tossed it aside made it seem frivolous rather than a medical necessity—which I invariably have to explain to people who come into my office. Sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up here.

I don't need a standing desk but I was still dismayed at the way he tossed aside that suggestion. Even said so to Mr.Trey.  Standing desks are supposed to be beneficial for everyone, not just those who may need one.

Otherwise, very good episode.  Best one so far this season, imo.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I had the Sears version of the Easy Bake called the "Junior Chef" oven back in the late '60s and it worked much better than the Easy Bake my friends had even with the light bulb.  I was amazed at how well it worked, and damn a 100 watt light bulb could get HOT!

Just don't use an LED bulb. :-)

• Love 5

I hope Howard not having life insurance is not a for warning for the future. After all, he does have some kind of heart irregularity.  But, Bernie would probably have life insurance on Howard, already through her job.  I have life insurance on my husband through my work.  Not as much as mine, but I do have some all the same.  Also, Howard probably has a provided free policy through the University.   I have free for me and then I pay extra per check to have more.  I joke to my husband, that I am worth more dead than alive.

• Love 2

So, uh, I guess I'm the only one who thought the episode was "meh" at best?

First, seeing married, 40-ish looking Sheldon sitting there at the beginning, not helping with the playhouse activity in any way and just being his usual special-snowflake self, well, it annoyed me.  When the writers remove any scenes where we see things Sheldon doing things he is good at (like solving a complex equation or discussing dark matter), we're just left with a stunted and vaguely annoying character. I no longer see "brilliant but eccentric," I see "self-absorbed and tiresome."

Second, I don't believe for a nanosecond that Bernie, Howard, or both of them--given their employers--don't have decent job benefits that include Life Insurance. My assumption is that they would likely choose to be covered by whoever's benefits were the best. Not to mention that many employers also allow employees to purchase additional life insurance beyond the amount provided in the employee benefit package. So Howard's talk about not buying life insurance was completely not credible, AFAIC.  The writers for this show--are they really that out of the loop?

And also--about Howard not buying life insurance, if you are willing to swallow that premise--that was another faux pas by the writers.  I mean, comparing Bernadette needing some time to herself to Howard being negligent about ensuring that his wife and two kids have a good chunk of money to keep them going, should anything happen to him, is ridiculous. What are these writers, 12?  Do they actually think these two lies (Bernie having to work late vs Howard saying he'd bought the life insurance when he hadn't) are of equal seriousness?  As it is, Howard just ended up looking immature and ignorant. 

Oh, and yeah, I also thought Leonard's treating the stand-up desk as a silly request was another example of the ignorance of the writers. And did anyone think Leonard was not going to award the grant to himself? I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but I pretty much figured straightaway that this would be the resolution of that story line.

All in all, a forgettable episode, IMO.

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 5

Strange things can happen with funding.  A relative worked at a college where Department "A" had money left at the end of the year, which meant they would get get less the next year, so a clever programmer shifted the money "temporarily" into Department "B"'s account. They figured that time was so short that "B" would not notice, but "B" did notice, and spent the money.  The programmer had done such a good job that "A" was not able to prove it was their money.

• Love 4

I actually thought Sheldon would end up with the money for bothering Leonard to least. Good for Leonard and I liked seeing Sheldon happy for him.

Amy's interrogation of Penny made me laugh a lot. Mayim Bialik just has such good timing. I didn't blame her for being upset at being left out. The worst blows to her soul seems to have come when she was an adolescent, so leaving her out of a quintessential adolescent activity was gonna hurt. I loved  how much she enjoyed the clubhouse.

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, adhoc said:

Second, I don't believe for a nanosecond that Bernie, Howard, or both of them--given their employers--don't have decent job benefits that include Life Insurance. My assumption is that they would likely choose to be covered by whoever's benefits were the best. Not to mention that many employers also allow employees to purchase additional life insurance beyond the amount provided in the employee benefit package. So Howard's talk about not buying life insurance was completely not credible, AFAIC.  The writers for this show--are they really that out of the loop?

So who's to say that what I bolded wasn't exactly the life insurance to which Howard was referring - additional insurance.  Maybe Bernadette wanted them to have more, and Howard told her he took care of it but didn't.  I highly doubt they don't have any, and unless I'm remembering the scene incorrectly, I don't think Howard said anything that would preclude this being the case.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, kariyaki said:

You just need the right wattage lightbulb. Mine used to work just fine when I was a kid.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, AnnaRose said:

So who's to say that what I bolded wasn't exactly the life insurance to which Howard was referring - additional insurance.

Who knows how the writers think but this makes sense to me.  Life insurance through your workplace is usually equal to a year of pay (or more if you are willing to pay extra for extra coverage).  Howard probably does have this kind of life insurance but since Bernie is less than impressed with the "peanuts" he makes I'm sure she expected him to get a more generous life insurance package privately.  That he hasn't so far is typical Howard.  More laziness than anything else.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Homily said:

Howard probably does have this kind of life insurance but since Bernie is less than impressed with the "peanuts" he makes I'm sure she expected him to get a more generous life insurance package privately.  That he hasn't so far is typical Howard.  More laziness than anything else.

All of the guys have a fortune in collectibles, including Howard. He may consider that to be enough, but I could see Bernie not taking that seriously.

2 hours ago, Gummo said:

Can I just add that I love seeing the Dean Seibert character back? It's been years!

Siebert is President. I don't think we've met the Dean. They could have brought back Gablehauser as department head, but we wouldn't have gotten the bird lady.

1 hour ago, Prof. Van Nostrand said:

It has been a long-running joke that Bernadette makes way more money than Howard. He should be the beneficiary on her death since she is the main earner.

Which isn't much help to Bernadette or the kids if Howard goes first!  They should both be insured when the kids are this small.  Howard didn't say Bernie was being unreasonable or greedy - he was just being Howard.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Mine would have been early-mid 80s. I'm about the same age as Sheldon's brother, now that I think about it (started high school in 1989).

Maybe I just had a bad bulb..