Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

On 12/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, Haleth said:

How much will that drop when Meg is back? 😄

In answer to your question  - it hasn't.

Since her return on January 4, the show is up 26% in total viewers. That's incredible for a show in the middle of it's 24th Season. At this point, McCain can write her own contract when it comes up for renewal (don't think these ratings won't be reflected in everyone's salary negotiations).

In the meantime, over at their rival 'The Talk' on CBS, they welcomed two new cohosts and no one noticed. Already in last place in the daytime ratings, they lost an additional 32% of their total audience the week of January 4. I tuned in to their show a few times in the past few weeks (including today) and it was really painful to watch them awkwardly try to talk about politics, which they have seemed to include in their 'hot topics' now.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Since her return on January 4, the show is up 26% in total viewers. That's incredible for a show in the middle of it's 24th Season.

I'm not convinced any credit is due Meghan or any of the other hosts for that matter.  This past year, and especially the last 4-6 months has been unprecedented.  Pandemic means a lot more people are home and add to that the craziness around the election and it's not hard to see why viewership is up.  Of course, in fairness that should apply to other shows and there are some obvious exceptions so The View is definitely doing something right.  Time will tell though really if big raises and contract renewals are a given.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

There was a storming of the Capitol building in DC last week I heard....

I expect any show dealing with politics to have got a bump last week since many of us were glued to our screens. I think a better comparison with last year will be the first weeks in February. 

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, falltime said:

From that soapoperanetwork link, it say up 26% from at this point last year.

That's probably because everyone was sick of MM by this point last year and had stopped watching.  Lets see if the people who tuned in this year stick around after the inauguration and MM starts whining about everything again.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

There was a storming of the Capitol building in DC last week I heard....

I expect any show dealing with politics to have got a bump last week since many of us were glued to our screens. I think a better comparison with last year will be the first weeks in February. 

"The View" was up in it's ratings on January 4, 5, and 6th.  The storming of the Capitol happened on the afternoon of the 6th, after their morning show aired.  So the only 'bump' they would have gotten was reflected on the Thursday (7) and the Friday (8). They can thank McCain for the ratings boost with her return (covered by the media all New Year's weekend) and the fight she had with Joy on Tuesday morning (covered by all the media).

BTW, last year at the same time there was talk of Trump's impeachment and it moving forward to the Senate. That was news worthy in itself for early 2020 (before COVID took over the headlines a few weeks later).

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

"The View" was up in it's ratings on January 4, 5, and 6th.  The storming of the Capitol happened on the afternoon of the 6th, after their morning show aired.  So the only 'bump' they would have gotten was reflected on the Thursday (7) and the Friday (8). They can thank McCain for the ratings boost with her return (covered by the media all New Year's weekend) and the fight she had with Joy on Tuesday morning (covered by all the media).

Or maybe the ratings were higher because Meghan got her ASS handed to her and no one was coddling her. And not because viewers were glad to see her back.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Or maybe the reviews were higher because Meghan got her ASS handed to her and no one was coddling her

As a Canadian viewer no one who makes decisions is going to care whether or why I watch but I am betting I speak for a lot of people when I say the only way I will become a regular viewer again is if they finally get rid of Meghan.  I don't want to hate watch and that's what will happen if she sticks around.  For now when I do watch (which is not often) I FF through her semi-articulate rants.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Where do you get the day to day ratings?

20 hours ago, falltime said:

From that soapoperanetwork link, it say up 26% from at this point last year.

They've actually been saying "up from this point last year" since 2015, when Joy returned. I think it would be interesting to compare the week's ratings with those of the past two months' instead though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Or maybe the ratings were higher because Meghan got her ASS handed to her and no one was coddling her. And not because viewers were glad to see her back.

Could very well be. Whatever the reason, Meghan's return = increase in ratings, and that's all that matters to ABC and their advertisers. Especially their advertisers. 

16 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Could very well be. Whatever the reason, Meghan's return = increase in ratings, and that's all that matters to ABC and their advertisers. Especially their advertisers. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree. If she was oh so popular and the reason for high ratings, then the ratings would have dropped exponentially when she was out on maternity leave. But that's not the case. She is so not needed.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'm positive people watch to see Meghan smacked down by Joy or Whoopi (or Sunny if she gets mad enough).  Who doesn't like to see a bully get taken down?

Does Meghan have fans?  Maybe.  Are they going to tune into the View because of her and tune out if she isn't there?  I doubt it.   Just like any villain on the Real Housewives shows Meghan loves people will watch to see what trouble she will cause.  

• Love 3

AGAIN.  There is a topic to talk about Meghan and how you feel about Meghan.  Anyone who persists in turning every topic into a Meghan topic will receive a warning and possibly a suspension next.

16 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Does Meghan have fans?  Maybe.  Are they going to tune into the View because of her and tune out if she isn't there?  I doubt it.   Just like any villain on the Real Housewives shows Meghan loves people will watch to see what trouble she will cause.  

Not really a "fan" of anyone on the panel. I watch to hear all sides (as I assume the program was intended) and not to diss one or the other. If that was the case, then I'd be waiting for the next Rosie/Bitsy split screen.

• Love 1

Before ABC brought MM over to The View four seasons ago (seems longer to me), she was a panelist on the FOX copy cat show 'Outnumbered'. I'm wondering if she brought a good size portion of her FOX audience to 'The View' when she switched networks, and she and the show has built on that for the past four years as the ratings have proven? That's always a gamble when a popular personality jumps networks - it either works out for the network in ratings, or it doesn't . For ABC, it has definitely worked.

Edited by LetsStartTalking
  • Useful 1
On 1/23/2021 at 8:15 AM, geekburger said:

If ratings hold up, do you think this makes production want to keep the format of the show as Zoom hot topics with a politician everyday?

Cause that would be awful. 

I am so done with listening to a politician every day. There is a whole world out there, that has nothing to do with politics.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, bannana said:

I am so done with listening to a politician every day. There is a whole world out there, that has nothing to do with politics.

I remember when the show was similar to The Talk, but with politics as part of it, not just about all of it. It had substance but was still fun. 

• Love 7

Here's what I've been saying for weeks now, since Meghan returned:

A spokesperson for ABC told us McCain has nothing to worry about now that Goldston’s out. “This is ridiculous. This combo of co-hosts has ‘The View’ delivering our best numbers in seven years,” they said, “Meghan is a valued member of the team and no one is talking about any changes to the table.”

And here is what is happening to GMA since Sara and the others left the show:

“GMA3: What You Need to Know”    

ABC’s “GMA3: What You Need to Know” averaged 1.830 million Total Viewers, 286,000 Women 25-54 and 208,000 Women 18-49, during the week of Jan 11, 2021, based on Live + Same Day Data from Nielsen Media Research. 

“GMA3: What You Need to Know” posted double-digit gains in the time-slot year to year in Total Viewers (+18% - 1.830 million vs. 1.548 million), Women 25-54 (+13% - 286,000 vs, 254,000) and Women 18-49 (+11% - 208,000 vs, 187,000).

Season to date, “GMA3: What You Need to Know” is improving its time slot compared to the same point last season in Total Viewers (+17% - 1.730 million vs. 1.474 million), Women 25-54 (+8% - 288,000 vs. 266,000) and Women 18-49 (+7% - 203,000 vs. 190,000).

Van Jones called his interview 'an ambush'. (There is a comment in the article which says 'The View' producers had forwarned him about the questions SUnny and Ana were about to ask. However, it's been said time and time again that guests are not privy to the questions they will be asked.)

https://pagesix.com/2021/02/08/cnns-van-jones-felt-ambushed-by-hosts-of-the-view/?utm_source=maropost&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pagesixdaily&utm_content=20210209&tpcc=pagesix_daily&mpweb=755-9277020-720591830

2 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

(There is a comment in the article which says 'The View' producers had forwarned him about the questions SUnny and Ana were about to ask. However, it's been said time and time again that guests are not privy to the questions they will be asked.)

In fact, I think they said this just last week, that guests want to know the questions and they are not given them. I do believe though that a producer might say, oh, there may be a question about your flip-flopping, and he just didn't expect the direction they went. He has certainly made a meal out of it on twitter.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And Dean is another liar. Meghan has not been "shouting for MONTHS" about Cuomo. Just in the past week or two, when it all came out. Jeebus Cripes.

wait - she asks The VIew to have her on to promote her book, and they say no, so she's bitching about it?  Does The View have some obligation to have on anyone who asks?  She's ridiculous. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Rosie O'Donnell was interviewed the day after her 59th birthday last month. The last ten minutes of the interview she talks about her season on 'The View', and the current season on 'The View' with Meghan McCain. At one point she tries to derail the conversation about her experience on the show by bringing up 'The Talk', but the host brings it back to her seasons on the show.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rosie-odonnell-on-britney-madonna-rosie-show-view-more/id1507502534?i=1000513928803

• Useful 3

The show has made the media once again, as the most recent daytime ratings have come out. The 'big headlines' is that while in last place still, 'The Talk' has even dropped more viewers for the past two weeks since they've been back without Sharon Osbourne. Of the 13 daytime shows rated, 'The Talk' comes in 13th place still...and shedding more and more viewers (BTW, aside from losing Osbourne, Carrie Ann Inabla has taken an 'extended leave of absence' leaving only three hosts).

Meanwhile, 'The View' is still the most-watched daytime show on television. Still in #1 place, as of last week and heading into May sweeps. I don't think McCain is going anywhere - she's part of the #1 show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 4/29/2021 at 12:08 PM, LetsStartTalking said:

The show has made the media once again, as the most recent daytime ratings have come out. The 'big headlines' is that while in last place still, 'The Talk' has even dropped more viewers for the past two weeks since they've been back without Sharon Osbourne. Of the 13 daytime shows rated, 'The Talk' comes in 13th place still...and shedding more and more viewers (BTW, aside from losing Osbourne, Carrie Ann Inabla has taken an 'extended leave of absence' leaving only three hosts).

Meanwhile, 'The View' is still the most-watched daytime show on television. Still in #1 place, as of last week and heading into May sweeps. I don't think McCain is going anywhere - she's part of the #1 show.

To my horror, I have to agree.  The bitch is here to stay unless she pulls a Sharon and implodes live on national television... Hope springs eternal. 

I remember some people on facebook who were in the audience on a show that was pre-taped on Wednesday afternoon to air on a holiday described where Megan and Joy got into a vicious tussle that was edited out..

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

To my horror, I have to agree.  The bitch is here to stay unless she pulls a Sharon and implodes live on national television... Hope springs eternal. 

I remember some people on facebook who were in the audience on a show that was pre-taped on Wednesday afternoon to air on a holiday described where Megan and Joy got into a vicious tussle that was edited out..

Ugh, poor Joy. She doesn't deserve that. 

I know I've said Meghan annoys me more than Sharon did, but I do think when Sharon goes nuts, it's on a whole other level than when Meghan does. Some of the stuff Sharon said was really disgusting. I think Meghan is far from woke, but I don't think she'd ever instantly go for a slur if she's upset with someone. I think that's what ultimately got Sharon fired, not merely defending a friend, being ignorant, or having one bad episode, there were multiple allegations of her being blatantly racist throughout the years. 

If Meghan being rude, bratty, tribal, ignorant, etc hasn't gotten her fired yet, I doubt it will. While she has yet to apologize to Colin K, Meghan is also getting better on racial issues. Unfortunately for all of us, she'll indeed probably be around for awhile. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I believe you're talking about the one where Joy was moderating and she apparently took a swallow of water then spit it on the floor and said something akin to "Let this water purify the lies she just put in my mouth" about some mischaracterization McCain had made. Too bad it didn't make it to air, that would've been hilarious, but I imagine the pro-McCain producers wouldn't let anything through purposely that makes the princess look bad--difficult as that task must be.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

While she has yet to apologize to Colin K, Meghan is also getting better on racial issues. Unfortunately for all of us, she'll indeed probably be around for awhile. 

Didn't she just say, in one of her rants, let's call a spade a spade? Not initially a phrase that was considered racist (400 years ago),but I am pretty sure everyone today would consider it that.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

She would have to implode on TV when the show is the least-watched daytime show on the air - then they will fire her like Sharon was fired. Until then...

• Love 1