Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/16/opinion/the-view-meghan-mccain.html

God bless Shamira Ibrahim. “Predictable,” "exhausting," “product of nepotism,” “the common denominator” in every single breakdown of civility at the table, pushing with herself at the center a “narrative of the long-suffering victim of censorship," highlighting the fact that Abby talked to executives about a toxic workplace because of McCain and not the show in general, pointing out how she tried to smear Whoopi, that the show has never been this hostile on-air before. Perfect. It has nothing to do with Republicans, different opinions, etc. etc.—it’s her.

Predictably, McCain went nuts on Twitter that someone accurately pegged her for what she is. And there are so many conservative outlets that seem extraordinarily protective of her; every time something anti-Meghan McCain occurs, they flare up in defense almost immediately. I’ve wondered for a long time if she’s working in tandem with them to damage ABC and The View as much as possible.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

God bless Shamira Ibrahim.

The last line of the article, referencing the show's tag line, is a zinger -

The problem is, with Ms. McCain still on the show, there’s not much to enjoy.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

Seriously, why is Meghan McCain’s microphone set to the same volume as Sunny? Hostin is an award-winning former U.S. Attorney who prosecuted sex crimes and speaks two languages. Meghan McCain had a daddy.

Actually,  this brings up an interesting  idea. (Even though the author wasn't being literal)  Part of what makes the show difficult to watch is Meghan's loud screeching.  If her microphone was turned down so her voice was lower in pitch and volume, it would improve the show.

• Love 9

2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Predictably, McCain went nuts on Twitter that someone accurately pegged her for what she is. And there are so many conservative outlets that seem extraordinarily protective of her; every time something anti-Meghan McCain occurs, they flare up in defense almost immediately. I’ve wondered for a long time if she’s working in tandem with them to damage ABC and The View as much as possible.

Bill O'Reilly tweeted Disney needs to protect Meghan. And who is going to protect Disney from Meghan?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Part of what makes the show difficult to watch is Meghan's loud screeching.  If her microphone was turned down so her voice was lower in pitch and volume, it would improve the show.

Turning it off would improve the show even more.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

Such a strong woman. 

She probably had this article in mind when she was going on about how Joy gave her advice about how it's good when your husband sticks up for you when you're in the public eye, etc., etc. (something like that; she was rambling a lot today).  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

I wish a large group of employees working on The View would gather together and file a report with the EEOC saying that ABC continues to foster a hostile work environment due to the actions of an employee they refuse to get rid of.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I didn't get past the first paragraph.  Wow, some pretty suspect polling and outlandish claims there.

There is no way the statistics that writer included in her article are correct.

So Meghan is going to go to work today and the rest of her coworkers are supposed to do what? Ignore the article?  She is isolating herself and playing the victim.  And pissing off I'm sure everyone at the View.  This is only going to escalate the tension.  If some employee wants to sue for a hostile work environment they are going to have overwhelming evidence.   I would say WTF was Meghan and Mr. Meghan thinking but I think they are purposefully doing this. She wants to leave the View and since she has no prospects she is going to try to parlay this into some gig somewhere. She wants to be the poster child for wronged conservative victims of the MSM.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
57 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

There is no way the statistics that writer included in her article are correct.

So Meghan is going to go to work today and the rest of her coworkers are supposed to do what? Ignore the article?  She is isolating herself and playing the victim.  And pissing off I'm sure everyone at the View.  This is only going to escalate the tension.  If some employee wants to sue for a hostile work environment they are going to have overwhelming evidence.   I would say WTF was Meghan and Mr. Meghan thinking but I think they are purposefully doing this. She wants to leave the View and since she has no prospects she is going to try to parlay this into some gig somewhere. She wants to be the poster child for wronged conservative victims of the MSM.

You nailed it, blondie0332.

Remember the term, "jumping the shark"? 

I think this article and Megaphone's typical bratty, ignorant persona are at this lowly point of humanity's relationship with media rewarding public displays of dishonesty, hate, ill-mannered behavior. To put it mildly. 

And I thought the Kardashians were bad.  

I remember a few years when Jon Stewart sadly left the Daily Show due to the extreme divisiveness and  all of the above.  I feel the same way now.

I'm not religious, but I pray. And I vote. 

God help us all. 

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I think this article and Megaphone's typical bratty, ignorant persona are at this lowly point of humanity's relationship with media rewarding public displays of dishonesty, hate, ill-mannered behavior. To put it mildly. 

That is true.  We see time and time again bad behavior rewarded.  How many can name a Housewife that isn't loud and obnoxious?  But people who don't even watch those shows know the ones who act badly.  Same thing with the View.  If you asked non viewers who was on the View with the exception of Whoopi I bet most would say Meghan McCain.  Look I understand she doesn't want to stay on the View forever and many co hosts before her have used this show to get them a job elsewhere. But with the exception of Elisabeth who had to have Barbara get her a job at Fox previous co hosts have been able to get jobs on their own merits.  If Meghan isn't being offered any other on camera/media jobs based on her own experience/talent then she needs to rethink her career choice.

• Love 10

That Federalist article is a crock! She’s not disliked because she bravely and politely shares what are unpopular views on the show, nor because she retaliates after being ganged up on. (I’d be furious if I showed endless patience, as each of them have, only to then be called a bully.) Meghan’s quick to snap, get nasty, talk down to women much more intelligent and accomplished than she is, and then play poor little conservative girl at the table.

There are intelligent conservatives out there. I’m sure some can admit the way Meghan speaks is wrong even if they share similar opinions. I’m curious how many stupid idiots truly believe Meghan is the victim. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

I would say WTF was Meghan and Mr. Meghan thinking but I think they are purposefully doing this. She wants to leave the View and since she has no prospects she is going to try to parlay this into some gig somewhere. She wants to be the poster child for wronged conservative victims of the MSM.

Spot on!

• Love 7

She can join him in oblivion at The Federalist.  The "statistics" in this article and on Meghan's blue cards must come from polls of Federalist followers or just made up off the top of Mr. Meghanss head.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 10

Enh. The Daily Mail is overstating what happened, in my opinion. Meghan didn't "explode" or "seethe" about Avenatti. She was yelling in her "I'm So Much Fun!" voice. I think she's trying to prove the New York Times op-ed wrong by speaking heartily and trying to demonstrate how non-toxic she is.

P.S. Don't read the comments under the Federalist article. Yikes. The vitriol almost makes me feel bad for Meghan.

• Love 1

I noticed yesterday that Sunny spoke with PageSix and the headline was "Ask Meghan about it" in regards to the toxic workplace accusations from Abby's exit. I also saw there was an article in McCain's husband's outlet criticizing Sunny (published same day). Did 'Tough Chick' McCain get her hubby to attack Sunny for the bad headline like the toxic weakling she is?

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I noticed yesterday that Sunny spoke with PageSix and the headline was "Ask Meghan about it" in regards to the toxic workplace accusations from Abby's exit. I also saw there was an article in McCain's husband's outlet criticizing Sunny (published same day). Did 'Tough Chick' McCain get her hubby to attack Sunny for the bad headline like the toxic weakling she is?

Probably. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Did 'Tough Chick' McCain get her hubby to attack Sunny for the bad headline like the toxic weakling she is?

I am not sure about the timing of that, but here is the article about Sunny's comments on The View in the Federalist.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/01/22/joy-behar-is-right-sunny-hostin-is-not-actually-pro-life/

And here is what Sunny said to Page Six:

https://pagesix.com/2020/01/22/sunny-hostin-says-speak-to-meghan-about-drama-on-the-view/

It is interesting because she also says she is fortunate to be paid and to be paid and have this platform.  I think she has reconciled within herself that MeAgain can do all the backstabbing she wants, Sunny is just going to rise above it.

• Love 4
On 1/17/2020 at 12:16 AM, bannana said:

Yowza!  This is some weird shit.  If MeAgain thinks this is going to help her, she is very wrong.

My husband really does defend me!

I cannot believe that author is paid to write.  I mean it IS the Federalist so take it for what its worth but dang, it was bad.  If that is all the talent it takes to be a conservative writer perhaps I can give it a whirl.  I am pretty good with fiction.

No one is going to feel sorry for a millionaires daughter of privilege who was given a job WAY above her skills.  Wah, those other cohosts are big meanies who persecute her because she is conservative.  No, people don't like her because she has zero social skills and has been told she is way better than she is all of her life, and really doesn't know her material.  She also seems to be the only person I have heard from that thinks Schiff did terribly.  I was reading it all night from all walks of life how great he was.  Go cry into a Hermes hankie Meegan.  No one gives a shit if your feelings are hurt.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, lusinia said:

Oof.  Those comments!

Boomers may have given participation trophies to their kids, but they hadn't been invented yet when the Boomers were kids.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2

‘The View’ Sees Its 2nd Most-Watched Week in Nearly 6 Years and 2nd Best Numbers in Both Women’s Demos in Over a Year

For the 3rd Consecutive Week, ‘The View’ Posts Increases Year to Year Across the Board

Season to Date, ‘The View’ Ranks Among the Top 4 of All Network and Syndicated Daytime Talk Shows and News Programs

ABC’s “The View” averaged 3.322 million Total Viewers, 503,000 Women 25-54 and 340,000 Women 18-49, during the week of April 6, 2020, based on Live + Same Day Data from Nielsen Media Research.

“The View” saw its 2nd-most-watched week in nearly 6 years and 2nd-best numbers in Women 25-54 and Women 18-49  in over a year – since weeks of 5/12/14, 2/18/19 and ¾/19, respectively, behind only the previous week (w/o 3/30/20).

For the 3rd week in a row, “The View” posted increases year to year in all key target demos: Total Viewers (+23% - 3.322 million vs. 2.695 million), Women 25-54 (+19% - 503,000 vs. 423,000) and Women 18-49 (+19% - 340,000 vs. 285,000).

Season to date, amongst all network and syndicated daytime talk shows and news programs (19 total), “The View” (2.720 million) ranks No. 4, trailing only “Dr. Phil” (3.408 million), “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (2.852 million)  and “Ellen” (2.738 million), based on Most Current Data.

Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers, Women 25-54 and Women 18-49 Live + SD Current Week (w/o 4/6/20), Previous Week (w/o 3/30/20) and Year-Ago Week (w/o 4/8/19). Season averages: Most Current: 2019-2020 Broadcast Networks (9/2/19-4/12/20) and Syndication Season (9/9/19-3/5/20).  Averages based on regular telecasts.

https://abcnewspr.tumblr.com/post/615399831762092032/the-view-sees-its-2nd-most-watched-week-in

Ratings have been going up since Joy came back. All this tells me is Meghan McCain hasn't been enough to drive off viewers. Which I already knew because I've kept watching because Joy is there regardless of how much of a lunatic McCain chooses to be. The show would be fine if she was replaced with someone like Elisabeth, imo.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Ever since Elisabeth was announced to be randomly co-hosting a month or so ago, I thought The View executives must have offered Elisabeth to replace McCain again like they did a few years back and Elisabeth was really considering it this time. Now I know for sure it's real since McCain is suddenly attacking her in the news today…

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/494344-meghan-mccain-rips-elisabeth-hasselbecks-dangerous-coronavirus

https://www.etonline.com/why-meghan-mccain-wouldnt-want-to-co-host-the-view-with-elisabeth-hasselbeck-again-145345

Funny to hear her of all people to criticize a fellow conservative for “dangerous” language or rhetoric. She’s been 10x worse than Elisabeth in that regard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

According to Wikipedia, her name came from the fact that her father, a physicist, wrote his dissertation on crystals.  (Btw, she was one of Abby Huntsman's co-hosts on the MSNBC show The Cycle.)

Edited by lusinia
  • LOL 1
On 4/22/2020 at 9:53 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

Ratings have been going up since Joy came back. All this tells me is Meghan McCain hasn't been enough to drive off viewers. Which I already knew because I've kept watching because Joy is there regardless of how much of a lunatic McCain chooses to be. The show would be fine if she was replaced with someone like Elisabeth, imo.

I'm glad ratings show Joy's value. 

• Love 8

There was an article in USA Today rating how successfully different tv shows were adapting to doing them from home, and this is what was said about The View -

Less successful in the talk arena are Ellen DeGeneres and the women of "The View," who seem as flat and unremarkable as your last video conference call. DeGeneres is phoning it in, literally, and the glitchy delays on "The View" make the hosts' constant bickering and depressing subject matter more grating than usual. USA Today

Edited by lusinia
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 4/26/2020 at 4:19 PM, MMEButterfly said:

I'm glad ratings show Joy's value. 

Ditto.  Please dont bring back EH.  I cant stand her sanctimonious bullshit.  Shes the one person i can think of that would successfully make me go elsewhere.  Even with Joy.  MM couldnt drive me away, even tho it was touch and go there for a while.  But theres the upcoming maternity leave to look forward to. .....hmmmm...seems theres a Sara -H Haines that maybe available.......dot dot dot....grin

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, lusinia said:

There was an article in USA Today rating how successfully different tv shows were adapting to doing them from home, and this is what was said about The View -

Yeah that glitchy technology is bugging the F outta me as well. Veeeeeeeeeeeeery annoying.  If they could fix that, i would probably stick around.

• Love 1

The show is just kind of boring.  I haven't watched this week's eps at all, and I am at home with nothing to do.

I will admit that I found it boring beforehand.  They all just repeat what they have said countless times before.  And even if I agree with some of their perspectives, repeating these day after day is just not that useful or interesting.

This show is tired and the remote set up is not helping.  But I suspect they will be back in the studio within a couple of months so we'll see if that improves things.

I Doubt It Richard Hammond GIF by DriveTribe

• Love 3
18 hours ago, bannana said:

The show is just kind of boring.  I haven't watched this week's eps at all, and I am at home with nothing to do.

I will admit that I found it boring beforehand.  They all just repeat what they have said countless times before.  And even if I agree with some of their perspectives, repeating these day after day is just not that useful or interesting.

This show is tired and the remote set up is not helping.  But I suspect they will be back in the studio within a couple of months so we'll see if that improves things.

I Doubt It Richard Hammond GIF by DriveTribe

I was just saying I like the remote show for this one and all the others I watch much more than the studio versions!  Less produced. Less interrupting. Makeup seems better but I wouldn’t base my viewing on that!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I thought it was pretty exciting today - a Fri and no VYD!

But alas, no Ana either.

Miami celebs should do us a favor and come on the show so The View can call Ana like they did when Mr. Worldwide was there.

• Love 2