Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

(edited)

@mtlchick,  this article made my day!!!  Good news all around:  Sweaty Dickhead Geddie  leaving against his will, Babs being relieved of her duties and yet keeping the title Creator, lol.  

Hell, if Whoopi's been getting  $5milion for  just showing up and doing the bare minimum then a draw like Rosie should be paid at least double.  The show got by being super cheap for a long time.  Sounds like someone finally realized you have to spend a little  money to make money. 

do we have any idea what Jenny and Sherri are making?  What about  Bits the Ditz… do we know what she made at the Spew and what she is making at Faux?

Edited by GoldDustWoman
(edited)

By the way, totally off topic, I feel the same way about professional sports. 

I hope that this doesn't get me in trouble, but that specifically, is where it started,  That and some really stupid union shit, I love and believe whole-heartedly in them but there were some ridiculous excesses in them - at the end of their supremacy.

But there was no reason why starting wages in a union out paced those of white collar college graduates, as they did back in the day.  I think that was a source of everything going upside down.  It really, wasn't morally fair.

Edited by NextIteration

I have to laugh that the View, on the same week it's back in the major headlines again, actually lost the ratings week to the Talk. Either people don't like train wrecks or people have finally decided to move on from it. 

• Love 4

I don't know, but I think they are going on the idea that all daytime talk shows are somewhat in competition with each other since they are booking the same guests and going for the same audience. Most likely a normal person could not handle the crosstalk from watching both The View and The Talk, and now comes The Real. And as mtlchuck points out, it's not very good that the show is getting so much press but it is not resulting in more viewers.

• Love 2

That is absolutely insane.  This, is why this country is so bizarre anymore.  I can't make any logical sense of it.  Hard working people cannot get jobs in this economy, the middle class is disappearing before our very eyes, whilst untalented people reap a gazillion dollars a year.

It's not that wacked out when you consider that even at this stage of her career, Rosie might be able to get $2 million for a movie role that might take up 2 or 3 months on her time to film.  

People are paid to an extent based not only on the job, but the expectations.  Rosie is worth over $100 million dollars.  That mere fact--her net worth--drives a lot of her asking price as talent.

• Love 2
(edited)

do we have any idea what Jenny and Sherri are making?  What about  Bits the Ditz… do we know what she made at the Spew and what she is making at Faux?

No clue.  But if we follow the idea that their asking price relates back to their net worth, this says Jenny's net worth is $14m.

This other site says Sherri's net worth is $10m, and somehow guesses her salary at $1.5m per year (and also verifies Jenny's net worth as $14m, but has no salary for her).

Bitsy's net worth on that same site with Sherri's info says her net worth is $12m, and salary $1m.

Edited by Kromm

When television broadcast money began making HUGE profits for sports teams, the players' unions wanted to get their fair share of the profits - since they are the ones putting their bodies and talent on the line.

The injustice of the gigantic sports salaries go directly to how much money the owners bring in in profit - those numbers are staggering due to tv/cable contracts.  I don't begrudge the players, I blame the emormous amounts spent to secure broadcast rights - what other industry has that much money coming in?  It is out of all proportion to any semblance of reality, and yet it is the reality.

The players deserve a substantial piece of the pie, and the owners aren't hurting a bit!

• Love 5

I have to laugh that the View, on the same week it's back in the major headlines again, actually lost the ratings week to the Talk. Either people don't like train wrecks or people have finally decided to move on from it. 

"It's so funny...."

• Love 6

@Kromm, I was mostly talking about Kelly.

There is truly something askew in the universe when someone completely lacking in the gift of intelligible gab makes $20 million for a talk show. But as much as I think Kelly sucks at her job, Sherri just might suck more. Heck, as another poster said, even the very well-educated women of Today and GMA becoming giggling school girls in front of the cameras (which is why I watch CBS).

I wouldn't worry too much about ratings. I have a feeling a lot of people will tune in for Rosie, half because they love her, the other half because they hate her.

• Love 6
(edited)

That is absolutely insane.  This, is why this country is so bizarre anymore.  I can't make any logical sense of it.  Hard working people cannot get jobs in this economy, the middle class is disappearing before our very eyes, whilst untalented people reap a gazillion dollars a year.

And fools like Ryan Seacrest get seemingly all the available jobs in entertainment!

But hey, if the people making gazillions would just pay their share in taxes, I would be OK with most of it. But that isn't happening.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 3

I wouldn't worry too much about ratings. I have a feeling a lot of people will tune in for Rosie, half because they love her, the other half because they hate her.

Yes, and one of those will be Elisabitch. She's going to set her DVR timer and watch every day as soon as she gets home from her Fox gig. It will probably take her two hours to watch because she'll be taking notes. Then, she'll call one of her show's producers ranting about what Rosie said and asking for time on the show the next morning to "analyze" it.

Damn, I hope she's the next one to get fired. In the meantime, she needs to send Rosie a great big gift basket for making her semi-relevant again.

• Love 5

That article is just delicious. lol

I would love it if Barbara was bought out and Geddie forcibly retired, and their nemesis (Rosie) was re-hired by their superiors.

I agree. It gave me such a moment of schadenfreude. And I loved Bill's defenestration. I'm so picturing him being lifted off his stool and tossed out the window. 

• Love 3

NY Daily News is reporting that Rosie has already reached out to Whoopi.

It's mainly the subtitle of that article which gives me the willies.

Sources say ABC is seeking an Asian member for show's panel, as well as a Republican, to take the places of Jenny McCarthy and Sherri Shepherd

Like it's a FORMULA. "Oh, we now thing Lisa Ling was nice, and our fans speak nicely of her, so lets recreate that". And "People tuned in for Elisabitch, even if they also hated her, so lets recreate that".

Also that tooth grinding photo of Rosie is hilarious. I've seen that pose with her lots of times (it's like her version of the Hoda Kotab thing where she's always doing an open mouth--except in Rosie's case it's her grinding her teeth).

I think that "grinding teeth" photo is a forced smile

As I said, I've seen plenty of photos where she does it.  One wonders if someone is THAT bad at pretending to smile, why they even make the thin attempt.  it comes off more as "I want to bite your head off and spit in out on the ground" more than anything else.  It's pure aggression.

• Love 1
(edited)

I tend to believe The Daily Beast.  It's generally proven to be legit.   Is Tina Brown still the top editor?  

Maybe it's because that article made my day when I first read it!  No more Sweaty Dickhead (Bill) Geddie is almost as big of news as when Bitsy left, except of course I sadly didn't get to witness his well deserved, long overdue, 'retirement'.    When ABC basically forced Babs into leaving (announcing her retirement when both she and her publicist were out of the country and the show was on a break) I had hoped it meant SDG would be going too.  After all, his entire career was producing shit starring Babs.  But the best part could be if he produces his own farewell party on air. which I doubt he will since this wasn't his decision.  Still,  what kind of sincerity could Jenny BitterCakes, and Sherri Shake 'Em Shepherd muster for that show?  We know Whoopi will be the same, wake, bake and roll in ten minutes to air.

Come to think of it, maybe that's why Jenny and Sherri seem extra crazy chipper these days - their boss got the same ax they did. Ha!

Like it's a FORMULA. "Oh, we now thing Lisa Ling was nice, and our fans speak nicely of her, so lets recreate that". And "People tuned in for Elisabitch, even if they also hated her, so lets recreate that".

Right?  Because viewers only liked Lisa because she was Asian and hated Bits because she was a Republican.  Nope.  I liked Lisa because she was smart and articulate and I hated Bits long before she became a Republican For Pay. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

That's what gets me about this show, the whole political slant. This  show is the last place I would look to for insight in to anything political. It's an entertainment show, a self described "chat fest" nothing more nothing less. In the past it would make one think on some topics, that's long ago. I can't think of anything I'd like to hear any of their opinions about. Not from anyone who is left at the table. Yet, I watch.....................

• Love 5

I agree. It gave me such a moment of schadenfreude. And I loved Bill's defenestration. I'm so picturing him being lifted off his stool and tossed out the window. 

Yes, the schadenfreude is wonderful, isn't it? Bill is finally gone, thanks to Rosie. 

Also, EH seems convinced that ABC fired her last year because they wanted to install Rosie after Babs left. Ha, I love it.

I think we now know why Babs stuck around so long. Geddie was concerned that when she retired, they would get rid of him too. Oh well, I'm sure he's made enough money over the past 30 or so years to retire a few years early.

• Love 3
(edited)

This sounds like something we'd come up with on this forum: 

http://time.com/#2967359/sarah-palins-the-view-with-rosie-and-whoopi-the-script/

Sarah Palin’s ‘The View’ With Rosie and Whoopi: The Script

With Rosie O'Donnell reportedly set to join Whoopi Goldberg on 'The View,' Sarah Palin has offered up herself as a “voice of reason” for the show. Let’s imagine what that might look like

here's an exerpt:

Palin: You know. I’d like to change the subject to something I think average Americans care about, which is not the size of someone’s booty. (Waits for applause.) I think Americans want to know, in the land of the free and the home of the brave, where we have elections, why are we putting a Prince on the cover of a magazine?

O’Donnell: Dear God in heaven

Edited by backformore
  • Love 3

@backformore that entire article is hilarious!  Thanks for sharing. 

Wow, they are crawling out of the woodwork to get in Rosie's spotlight aren't they?  Babs must be thrilled wherever she is, which I hope is out on some yacht enjoying herself and reminding everyone within earshot she created The View. 

When I still watched Maddow regularly I saw her former EP on there occasionally and he always came across as a nice guy with a great sense of humor. He's also married to Alison Stewart.

• Love 3

Wow, very interesting! Bill Wolff is leaving a VP/EP spot in cable news to take an EP spot with a network daytime entertainment show? From what I've seen of him they'll be very lucky to have him, but it's a surprise. Rachel must be bummed. My impression has always been that she and Wolff got along very well.

• Love 1

I hope Wolff makes them stop talking over each other. Is there some magic demographic that likes that?

I seem to recall it being said that when this is going on it makes it "real", like around a table in our own homes. (Barbara maybe?) Well, I have had many lively conversations around many tables in my life, but never with the disregard for others that this show portrays.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 5

Wow, very interesting! Bill Wolff is leaving a VP/EP spot in cable news to take an EP spot with a network daytime entertainment show? From what I've seen of him they'll be very lucky to have him, but it's a surprise. Rachel must be bummed. My impression has always been that she and Wolff got along very well.

this would make one think that he leans politically to the left… but you never know.

I think that is a given...but fair and balanced. As is Rachel. No pun intended.

If Sippy and that other woman gets SS and JM's seats it should rather interesting and they will need to step up.....or not - which is more likely. We are approaching 2016 after all.

• Love 2

I don't think his political views will make much of a difference at all; they are still casting from the same shrill/idiotic talent pool of conservative co-hosts. No matter who the EP is, there will be opposition from those on the right that the show picks on them because that's what they do to everyone in the mainstream media.

• Love 6

If Sippy and that other woman gets SS and JM's seats it should rather interesting and they will need to step up

Remember, if Sippy gets a "seat", she also needs a table or a desk to put her legs up on.

DpJO6aN.jpg

• Love 3

When I still watched Maddow regularly I saw her former EP on there occasionally and he always came across as a nice guy with a great sense of humor. He's also married to Alison Stewart.

When I read the news, I started to hope Stewart might get a few guest-hosting gigs.

Ugh. Switch out the 50's housewife look for hipster glasses and you've gone from Hasselbeck to Sippy Cupp.

• Love 1
When I've watched Maddow she is VERY respectful, and then often asks a great question for clarification....or buries them with....facts. And very nicely. She is a Rhodes Scholar after all.

Smart.  Fun.  Funny.  Interesting. Cute and loves to play bartender!  She's an excellent guest on late night talk shows.  If this producer has helped hone Rachel's skills at all, he might just be a Miracle Worker for The View's Last Gasps.

• Love 3