Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Although I love-love-love her, Kate McKinnon was just the wrong player for the part of Joy.  How can ANYONE beat the Fred Armison portrayal?  If Sunny wants Maya Rudolph to play her, Joy should request Fred.  Pretty expensive talent for a quick sketch.

I thought McKinnon did a great job.   They did the sketch this week because the "Your JOB is to listen to me"  was all over the news this past week.  WHo else in the current cast could play Joy?  They can't just opt to NOT do Joy now that Fred Armison is not there.  

I think the point of the sketch, (before Jenny McCarthy came on)  was pointed at Meghan's idiocy, and they did that very well. 

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Here's what was said, if anyone can't watch it for some reason.

(Taken from https://www.thedailybeast.com/snl-brutally-mocks-the-views-meghan-mccain-the-princess-of-arizona)

“You’re watching The View,” an announcer said at the top of the sketch. “Let’s get ready to rumble!”

Introducing herself as Whoopi Goldberg, Leslie Jones began by saying, “I’m as surprised as you that this show is a fit for me.” 
  She went on to introduce the day’s “hot topic” as President Trump’s firing of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and asked Cecily Strong’s Abby Huntsman for her thoughts.

“You want to start with me?” a surprised Huntsman asked before struggling to balance her “human mother” and “conservative daughter” sides. “Did I talk too long, Whoopi?” she asked when she was done.

But the sketch saved the most scathing portrayal for Aidy Bryant’s Meghan McCain, who, as in real life, immediately started a shouting match with Kate McKinnon’s Joy Behar, forcing Goldberg to intervene by squirting a water bottle at them.

“Can I just say something as the princess of Arizona?” McCain asked. “There is a crisis at the border, and the border is right up in my Arizona, which was founded on sunburnt women selling turquoise jewelry, not rando Mexicans. And that’s not racist because my makeup artist is gay.”

As Behar tried to weigh in, McCain shot back, “Can you let me talk because it’s actually your job to listen to me!”

“OK, stop it. We’re not going to do this,” Goldberg said. “This is The View. We’re five best friends with nothing in common.”

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

If SNL does not have any Black-Latina-American regulars, I guess they cannot spoof Sunny, as putting blackface on a Latina or having a black actor salsa on stage and speak some words with a Spanish accent would be misappropriation, though it is OK (for now) to have men in womens' roles and vice versa if they have the same racial background.

Maya Rudolph would be perfect as Sunny.

• Love 4

None of them are a perfect fit for the ladies, but I get a kick out of Kate McKinnon playing Joy. She's the best on SNL right now, imo, plus she's played Angela Merkel, HRC, Theresa May, RBG, etc. I love her. I wish Sunny hadn't been left out though.

Their depiction of Ana was probably the weakest link. Ana's disgust for McCain is apparent whenever she's there during one of McCain's episodes. She definitely wouldn't have been enjoying that drama.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CynicalGirl said:

I kept waiting for Aidy Bryant to start stroking her hair. That would have been perfection. 

Too funny, I said the same thing to my hubs.  Hair petting.  

Plus they didn't have her do the rat-a-tat-tat blue card reading.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

None of them are a perfect fit for the ladies, but I get a kick out of Kate McKinnon playing Joy. She's the best on SNL right now, imo, plus she's played Angela Merkel, HRC, Theresa May, RBG, etc. I love her. I wish Sunny hadn't been left out though.

I agree. The show has to work with the cast they have, not the cast they wish they had. Kate McKinnon was the best choice to play Joy. 

The cast of SNL works for only a week to get all the sketches done for the live show. They did a great job. 

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

Kate McKinnon was the best choice to play Joy. 

Kate McKinnon is a fabulous talent.  I want great successes for her, but I'll be sad when she's gone from SNL.

• Love 12

I thought the SNL skit was hilarious.  But leaving out Sunny was glaring.  So disappointed that today was a repeat.  I was really hoping to see MM stomp out with an ‘eat shit’ look on.  By next week she may be mostly over it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, bannana said:

Too funny, I said the same thing to my hubs.  Hair petting.  

Plus they didn't have her do the rat-a-tat-tat blue card reading.

I think the problem is that Aidy is way too likable and sweet to be as annoying as Meg is. I do wish instead of "as the princess of Arizona", she said "as "John McCain's daughter."

Not bad overall, if a little tame. Maybe now that the current SNL cast has had a chance to do a The View sketch, they'll do another with more bite to it. 

• Love 8

If Sunny were in the skit...she would have been 5he one eating the popcorn..talking about being a federal prosecutor, her chickens, her man not seeing her without make up...and Whoopi would have used the spray bottle on Sunny anytime she spoke 😉

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I watch Late Night with Seth Meyers some nights and The Late Late Show with James Corden on others. I bring up my nightly viewing because Fred Armesen shows up as the drummer for Seth's in house band when he's available. When I first saw he was back for a 2nd week last night my first thought was that I kind of missed his way of saying “So what? Who cares?” when imitating Joy in those older skits based on The View.

• Love 8
On 4/16/2019 at 6:43 PM, Jaded said:

I watch Late Night with Seth Meyers some nights and The Late Late Show with James Corden on others. I bring up my nightly viewing because Fred Armesen shows up as the drummer for Seth's in house band when he's available. When I first saw he was back for a 2nd week last night my first thought was that I kind of missed his way of saying “So what? Who cares?” when imitating Joy in those older skits based on The View.

He was on Finding Your Roots a couple weeks ago. I so wanted him to do Joy's "so what? who cares?" Lol, probably wouldn't have been appropriate but that's all I wanted to hear.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 3
On 3/29/2019 at 12:53 AM, bannana said:

I remember Kelly asserting that she would never let anyone put their hand over her mouth because....germs, and it is just so unhygienic and rude.  And then people found clips of her putting her hand over Regis' mouth. 😁

The part of this story that I found upsetting was that Rosie outted Clay Aiken without his agreement.

Clay Aiken, Meghan's BFF 

• Love 2

I’m glad you brought it up here. I wasn’t sure if I should respond to Apprentice79 in the View thread or if the mods would’ve deleted my post.

15 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

The View got no Emmys tonight at the Daytime Emmy awards, very deserving since they have that obnoxious vile harridan Megan McCain on the panel.

Good. This show does not deserve an Emmy while they’re giving her a platform to act like a lunatic. It's a disgrace to ABC, and moreover, watching one co-host spoil what would otherwise be a moderately fun show with a baby tantrum almost every single day is boring and predictable. Maybe the King of Misogynist TV, Andy Cohen, can give them an award instead. Be disrespectful, scream loud is usually his recipe.

Looking at the other nominees, The View is literally the last one that deserves it (except for Wendy Williams in the co-host category). If they fired McCain, and either brought on Ana everyday or found someone else who can give their opinion respectfully, then they'll deserve to win again.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

If they fired McCain, and either brought on Ana everyday or found someone else who can give their opinion respectfully, then they'll deserve to win again.

And even THIS loss won't cause The Suits to change their collective mind and dump the rude dumbass.

• Love 7
(edited)

MM looked peeved (like a squinty scrunch-faced toddler) when Whoopi was congratulating the winners. 

When did they split up the "entertainment" and "informative" talk shows?  Rachael Ray is apparently the outstanding "informative" host; who knew?

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Thank god they lost. She would think it was all because of her. She would have been even more insufferable.

Is this the first year in a while that The VIew has not won anything?  

If so, they just might be looking for someone to blame. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

When did they split up the "entertainment" and "informative" talk shows?  Rachael Ray is apparently the outstanding "informative" host; who knew?

Lol-she is terrible. She may be a good cook but her interview skills suck. She invites celebrities on the show so she can talk about herself to them. She tells the same stories over and over again. So The View is entertainment? Surely not informative.

• Love 4

Oh Lordy - If she is so Az then stay there - she chose to move to LA and NY.

She works harder than everyone else?

Soul Cycle????

She is not good at politics - so why does she say she is political analyst?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

She works harder than everyone else?

Soul Cycle????

Because she’s been in politics all her life! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, suomi said:

"Politics runs through her veins…but it might stop there. Just because her father was a politician, she doesn’t think she would automatically be good at it or is entitled to the job."

Since when?  Every word out of her mouth indicates she thinks she's good at it and entitled to her job.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Since when?  Every word out of her mouth indicates she thinks she's good at it and entitled to her job.

That promo also says she goes to Soul Cycle.  So I'm guessing they are just taking her word for things.  Fluff piece is all it is.  Her publicist must get paid a lot to keep getting her favorable coverage.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Ha!  Soul Cycle?!  You have to be kidding!  She can barely haul her ass up onto the stool and sit for the show but she expects us to believe that she can get it up on a bike.  And then ride it?  Kelly Ripa - yes.  Meghan McCain - Uh, NO.  Sorry babe, we aren't buying what you're selling. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Guys, if you're talking about Meghan only, best to take it to the Meghan thread. Please remember though that her father in law and her husband are off-topic except in how they're discussed directly on the show.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Because people ridiculed her for saying she was a political "pundint". She's been mispronouncing pundit her entire life (like Abby and "libary"), so it is easier to use a different word than to rewire her brain. Not that pronouncing analyst correctly makes her one.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, maggiemae said:

She hasn't lived here since she graduated from college.  YEARS ago!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/6/2019 at 10:26 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

Maybe the King of Misogynist TV, Andy Cohen, can give them an award instead. Be disrespectful, scream loud is usually his recipe.

I wish he would create a BRAVO show for Meghan.  His writers should create all the disrespect, screeching, bragging, and whining they can think of in a 30-minute slot.  She'd be happy and we'd be happy (there's no way she could handle 2 shows).

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

To be fair, I think her comment was in reference to the idea that her association in politics doesn't mean that she would be a good politician or mean that she's entitled to hold office. Being good or feeling entitled to comment on politics is a different story. In that respect, yes, she does use her family's association to the military and to politics as a means to validate her opinions.

(edited)

I was listening to Tara Setmayer's podcast and she briefly talked about being a guest co-host on the show and how it's a nice change of pace for her, since she's usually having spirited political debates on CNN. She talks about Abby going on maternity leave and says hopefully she'll be called back again as a guest co-host because she enjoys it. She encourages people to leave comments on The View's social media if they like seeing her on the show because they "definitely read the comments." 

My first thought: They check their social media? You sure about that, Tara?! A certain someone would be gone by now if that were the case. Lol.

My Second thought: I wonder if she's looking to be a (more) permanent fixture on the show? Perhaps TPTB are leaving the door open for her, or someone else, to replace Abby? I'd take her over Abby any day, but I don't think Meghan will be gone until at least after 2020. 

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

She encourages people to leave comments on The View's social media if they like seeing her on the show because they "definitely read the comments." 

My first thought: They check their social media? You sure about that, Tara?! A certain someone would be gone by now if that were the case. Lol.

Ahhh....checking their social media and "definitely read the comments," doesn't mean they plan to take action on that basis.  Any action. They just laugh at those  who dare to post anything negative (or even positive).

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, HaaCHOO said:

Ahhh....checking their social media and "definitely read the comments," doesn't mean they plan to take action on that basis.  Any action. They just laugh at those  who dare to post anything negative (or even positive).

Yeahhhh, I know, I know! 😞 Wouldn't it be nice if it were true, though? lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

Whoopi and her mom look EXACTLY the same. That is crazy!

ITA - it took me a couple minutes to decide who was mother, who was daughter.

• Love 2