Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I'm no fan of Jenny McCarthy but I believe her on about Whoopi and Barbara . Barbara begging Whoopi to moderate, wow. I didnt watch that season. So the hosts were Whoopi,  Barbara, Jenny and Sherri? No wonder no one was watching. Zzzz

The audience didn't leave because of Elizabeth.  I stopped watching when Joy left. Had nothing to do with EH. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, rcc said:

I left when Joy did and this revelation makes me glad I did. Rosie O has said on her blog that this book is not worth buying.

I don't know if I agree with that.  From that excerpt alone I think it's worth reading.

27 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

The audience didn't leave because of Elizabeth.  I stopped watching when Joy left. Had nothing to do with EH. 

Same here. Ratings declined because Joy left not because of EH left.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

I don't know if I agree with that.  From that excerpt alone I think it's worth reading.

Same here. Ratings declined because Joy left not because of EH left.

I'm sorry, but I laughed so hard when Jenny McCarthy talked said if she heard the shuffling feet, she knew Barbara was coming after her😁

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Thank you for posting this! Very interesting, and as others have said, not really surprising. The fact that I think Jenny is an absolute idiot for her vaccine nonsense aside, whenever I've heard her speak about her time on The View she's sounded pretty measured, and fair I guess? I suppose the show will downplay this as being untrue if they discuss it at all, but in many ways Jenny is just furnishing what is obvious from us viewing the show with her own experiences. Rosie may say the book isn't worth it, but who knows, she could be the type who thinks calling things out is ok when she does it (ahem, Celebrity Detox) and not ok for others.

I thought this part was perfect as this is exactly how Whoopi comes across to me:

"To me, Whoopi had an addiction to controlling people’s thoughts, their words, the room, the table, your feeling, your mood. She had an addiction to controlling all of it and everybody.”

And this was hilarious:

“When I’d hear the shuffle of her feet, I knew that Barbara was after me. It would get faster. Oh my God — she’s coming! Based on the speed of the shuffle, I would hide or get on the phone.”

Barbara wasn't referred to as the Cryptkeeper online for nothing!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, SuzieSioux said:

Thank you for posting this! Very interesting, and as others have said, not really surprising. The fact that I think Jenny is an absolute idiot for her vaccine nonsense aside, whenever I've heard her speak about her time on The View she's sounded pretty measured, and fair I guess? I suppose the show will downplay this as being untrue if they discuss it at all, but in many ways Jenny is just furnishing what is obvious from us viewing the show with her own experiences. Rosie may say the book isn't worth it, but who knows, she could be the type who thinks calling things out is ok when she does it (ahem, Celebrity Detox) and not ok for others.

I thought this part was perfect as this is exactly how Whoopi comes across to me:

"To me, Whoopi had an addiction to controlling people’s thoughts, their words, the room, the table, your feeling, your mood. She had an addiction to controlling all of it and everybody.”

And this was hilarious:

“When I’d hear the shuffle of her feet, I knew that Barbara was after me. It would get faster. Oh my God — she’s coming! Based on the speed of the shuffle, I would hide or get on the phone.”

Barbara wasn't referred to as the Cryptkeeper online for nothing!

I don’t know how to quote just a part of a posting but the part I wanted to respond to was the part about Whoopi controlling everyone. I feel the same way about Joy. I know that’s a very unpopular opinion on this site but I think Joy is hateful, snotty, unwilling to consider the viewpoints of others when they offer differing political opinions and dismissive of others who don’t agree with her. The way she talks about our President, never mind her own political views, is just insulting and shameful. I don’t care if you didn’t vote for him. Try to find some kind of common ground, Joy.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, falltime said:

interesting outfits.  they're all in black,  Sunny looks like she's trying too hard to look young, in tight leather. Abby is dressed for a night on the town, or is she one of the spice girls?  Whoopi is running out for groceries, and spending the evening watching tv on the sofa. Meghan is dressed for a very formal dinner from another decade, or maybe she's someone's mom, chaperoning prom.  Joy, in pantsuit and heels, looks smart and professional, just a touch of sass in those animal print cuffs. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Gam2 said:

. I feel the same way about Joy. I know that’s a very unpopular opinion on this site but I think Joy is hateful, snotty, unwilling to consider the viewpoints of others when they offer differing political opinions and dismissive of others who don’t agree with her.

I feel the same way about Meghan.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:
13 hours ago, Gam2 said:

. I feel the same way about Joy. I know that’s a very unpopular opinion on this site but I think Joy is hateful, snotty, unwilling to consider the viewpoints of others when they offer differing political opinions and dismissive of others who don’t agree with her.

I feel the same way about Meghan.

I'm in your corner, BlondieC0332...and Joy's.  I wouldn't use the words hateful or snotty.  She puts up with the coordinated direct hits of Princess McCain (and puts up and puts up)...until a point.  

A professional comedian, she's quick-witted, opinionated and sarcastic--and it sometimes shows in her facial expressions.  She can be dismissive of those who disagree if they're not armed with facts.  An educated (formal and self-) New Yorker in her late 70s, Joy remains current, interested in new ideas, and seems the most widely read and inquisitive of all the panel members.  

• Love 23
18 hours ago, Tunia said:

I don't think I can resist this book!  Off to pre-order...LOL.

I ordered (2) the moment I heard about it.  One for me--one for my best friend (since 1948).  We each watch "The View" with different opinions--not political, but SHE loves/enjoys both Whoopi and Meghan.  I wonder if that makes me a jerk...since she loves/enjoys me too.

I also "recommended" the audiobook to my local free digital library.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

I have no interest in buying any View book except for Joy's tell-all.

I can believe most of what McCarthy said there. I didn't watch the majority of that season. I tuned out with Joy's departure and only checked out a few shows mostly near the end for Barbara, since it was her farewell season, but Jenny and Sherri were awful. Everyone could tell Barbara was pushed out because she wasn't completely there anymore, as much as she tried to be ultra prepared for every show. I doubt she would've ever given up that power willingly. And the tension between Barbara and Whoopi was obvious. At the time, I sympathized with Whoopi's frustration because Barbara at times seemed a little out of it. For example, there was one day Whoopi read something off the monitor, and once she finished, Barbara started speaking only for it to turn out that she was repeating word-for-word what Whoopi had just read. It wasn't even an attempt to one-up Whoopi, imo, but because she hadn't been paying attention to Whoopi at all and was focused on being put together for what she was going to say that day. 

Looking back after how Whoopi acted with Rosie O'Donnell, Paula Faris, and Joy initially, too (when she returned), I have much less sympathy for Whoopi now. I can believe she refused Barbara's request to moderate--what an asshole. The tension between her and those other three, imo, still reads like she thought ABC was trying to put someone else in the moderator's chair and get rid of her. The funny thing is Whoopi is just as much of an egomaniac as Barbara and no doubt she will also want to have her own season-long farewell asskissing tour whenever the time comes for her to be axed. At least with Barbara it was warranted because she created this show and forged a path for a great deal of other women, like her or not. Whoopi's "improvements" to this show have been showing up clearly unprepared and with a bad attitude (not wanting to be there or being hateful to co-hosts she wants gone), and foisting godawful "talent" like Raven Symone and Meghan McCain on the viewers.

• Love 11

I wouldn't have imagined that Barbara had to beg Whoopi to let her moderate. I'd think Barbara would have final say, being the creator of the show and all.

No wonder TPTB haven't taken that duty from her. She'd have a fit and would most likely quit.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

.... I can believe she refused Barbara's request to moderate......

I don't think we can speculate that this was only Whoopi's decision.  I think it's very possible that the production staff was scared of Babs, and saw how dramatically Babs was failing day after day.  It was quite convenient to have Whoopi's contract to point at.  And Whoopi had enough ego to pull it off.

• Love 7

As noted by SanDiegoInExile, the book excerpt mentioned that being moderator was in Whoopi's contract so, legally, she could and did stand on that. But given the circumstances I think it was big time "mean girl" that she refused to toss a few moderating crumbs to BW, the show's visionary and creator.

See, here's the thing, I doubt that Whoopi needed input from a producer or anyone else to jump on taking that stance. 

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, suomi said:

See, here's the thing, I doubt that Whoopi needed input from a producer or anyone else to jump on taking that stance. 

Enjoyable!   And Whoopi isn't so sharp anymore, is she?  She's not close to Barbara's classification, of course, but I'm just sayin'.....

• Love 7
11 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I have no interest in buying any View book except for Joy's tell-all.

I can believe most of what McCarthy said there. I didn't watch the majority of that season. I tuned out with Joy's departure and only checked out a few shows mostly near the end for Barbara, since it was her farewell season, but Jenny and Sherri were awful. Everyone could tell Barbara was pushed out because she wasn't completely there anymore, as much as she tried to be ultra prepared for every show. I doubt she would've ever given up that power willingly. And the tension between Barbara and Whoopi was obvious. At the time, I sympathized with Whoopi's frustration because Barbara at times seemed a little out of it. For example, there was one day Whoopi read something off the monitor, and once she finished, Barbara started speaking only for it to turn out that she was repeating word-for-word what Whoopi had just read. It wasn't even an attempt to one-up Whoopi, imo, but because she hadn't been paying attention to Whoopi at all and was focused on being put together for what she was going to say that day. 

Looking back after how Whoopi acted with Rosie O'Donnell, Paula Faris, and Joy initially, too (when she returned), I have much less sympathy for Whoopi now. I can believe she refused Barbara's request to moderate--what an asshole. The tension between her and those other three, imo, still reads like she thought ABC was trying to put someone else in the moderator's chair and get rid of her. The funny thing is Whoopi is just as much of an egomaniac as Barbara and no doubt she will also want to have her own season-long farewell asskissing tour whenever the time comes for her to be axed. At least with Barbara it was warranted because she created this show and forged a path for a great deal of other women, like her or not. Whoopi's "improvements" to this show have been showing up clearly unprepared and with a bad attitude (not wanting to be there or being hateful to co-hosts she wants gone), and foisting godawful "talent" like Raven Symone and Meghan McCain on the viewers.

Well said.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, atomic said:

Another excerpt from the tell-all book:  

So Joy talked to the author.  This book is going to be good.  She is the only one who has been there from the start.  Minus the couple years she was away.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, suomi said:

I think Whoopi dictates to the producer what she will do and won't do.

• Love 8
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, Blissfool said:

I think Whoopi dictates to the producer what she will do and won't do.

I remember sweaty Bill Geddie had a lot of say over Whoopie. I remember that week Whoopie was made to dress elegantly, that included bras, jewel colors that complimented her skin tone, full make-up, heels with tailored clothing.. She looked really nice, but, she was really uncomfortable having to dress girly. Whoopie has a fantastic figure that the Kardashians wished that they had naturally. However, she walked like a lumberjack and we used to laugh about that on the boards at TWTP.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

From that Cheat Sheet article:

Behar certainly has a big-enough personality. Yet she doesn’t deliver the wisdom and clarity you get from Whoopi’s monologues. Joy’s a great side-player.

As for guest-host Navarro, viewers get someone who obviously likes hearing herself talk. But being your own biggest fan doesn’t cut it — the love has to come from audiences.

You might want to sit down for this one, but it appears a website named "Cheat Sheet" has not done its homework. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, General Days said:

Behar certainly has a big-enough personality. Yet she doesn’t deliver the wisdom and clarity you get from Whoopi’s monologues. Joy’s a great side-player.

As for guest-host Navarro, viewers get someone who obviously likes hearing herself talk. But being your own biggest fan doesn’t cut it — the love has to come from audiences.

You might want to sit down for this one, but it appears a website named "Cheat Sheet" has not done its homework. 

Suppose it's ghostwritten by Whoopi...or her daughter, Alex?   Who else could make sense of the garbles Whoopi presents to us?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

There is no way Whoopi didn't pay for that article to be written. I don't even think people who like Whoopi think she is good at this job. I wish she had never been on this show because knowing what she is really like has tainted her performances for me.

• Love 10
On 3/22/2019 at 6:50 PM, blondiec0332 said:

So Joy talked to the author.  This book is going to be good.  She is the only one who has been there from the start.  Minus the couple years she was away.

There's a podcast I listen to about the show, and the woman who hosts it says that the only two women/hosts (former or otherwise) from the show who didn't give interviews were Elisabeth and Whoopi (I don't know the source, unfortunately). She speculated that Elisabeth's book is coming out tomorrow as a way to beat the release of this book, and I can definitely see that (and it apparently is being released earlier because of it, too). As for Whoopi not being interviewed? That certainly makes me go, "Hmmm...."

ETA: I should say that I have no idea if this book started before or after Abby or Ana got there, so I don't know if they were interviewed, either. 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, UYI said:

WTF. Adds a new layer to the infamous split screen fight, doesn't it? Jesus Christ. 

Why would Rosie say something so stupid.. Rosie is her own worst enemy at times. This is something that is TMI and irrelevant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Why would Rosie say something so stupid.. Rosie is her own worst enemy at times. This is something that is TMI and irrelevant.

Especially when she says that she suspected Elisabeth might have had a similar crush, as well. Regardless of how one feels about Elisabeth, that's her business, not Rosie's.

(I say this while also fully enjoying all the dirt that continues to come out...sigh.)

ETA: Oh, and then Rosie says this as a way to prove that Elisabeth might have felt the same towards her:

“I think this is something that will hurt her if you write it. She was the MVP of a Division 1 softball team for two years that won the finals. There are not many, in my life, girls with such athletic talent on sports teams that are traditionally male that aren’t at least a little bit gay.”

WHAT THE HELL, ROSIE?

Edited by UYI
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, UYI said:

Especially when she says that she suspected Elisabeth might have had a similar crush, as well. Regardless of how one feels about Elisabeth, that's her business, not Rosie's.

(I say this while also fully enjoying all the dirt that continues to come out...sigh.)

I doubt Elizabeth had a crush on Rosie. She had no problem with her acolytes at Fox spreading falsehoods about Rosie. Elizabeth helped Bill Geddie set up the infamous split screen.. 

• Love 7

Everybody really does have a book now, don't they?  The publishing industry must be hurting bad.  And why the sudden influx of books either about The View or from past co-hosts of The View?  Ladies Who Punch, Jenny McCarthy's book, and Hasslebeck's book. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Apparently, last summer Elisabeth got an offer to be a co-host on The View again:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/2019/03/25/elisabeth-hasselbeck-abc-view-offered-me-my-chair-back/3265884002/

Lines up with what Jenny said about how much TPTB regretted letting Elisabeth go. 

As much as Meghan brings down the show, I can't imagine how bad it would have gotten with Bitsy on the same panel as her. 🤮

7 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Everybody really does have a book now, don't they?  The publishing industry must be hurting bad.  And why the sudden influx of books either about The View or from past co-hosts of The View?  Ladies Who Punch, Jenny McCarthy's book, and Hasslebeck's book. 

Just to be clear, Jenny doesn't have a book coming out. That excerpt about her time on The View was taken from the Ladies Who Punch book that comes out next week.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, atomic said:

Just to be clear, Jenny doesn't have a book coming out. That excerpt about her time on The View was taken from the Ladies Who Punch book that comes out next week.

Ok, thanks.  Amongst all of the many pieces of dirt pouring in, I misunderstood. 

• Love 1
On 3/24/2019 at 3:25 PM, Apprentice79 said:

I remember sweaty Bill Geddie had a lot of say over Whoopie. I remember that week Whoopie was made to dress elegantly, that included bras, jewel colors that complimented her skin tone, full make-up, heels with tailored clothing.. She looked really nice, but, she was really uncomfortable having to dress girly. Whoopie has a fantastic figure that the Kardashians wished that they had naturally. However, she walked like a lumberjack and we used to laugh about that on the boards at TWTP.

I like Whoopi more than most posters on here, but LOL at the idea that wearing a bra is now "dressing elegantly." I must be the Queen.

16 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Apparently Rosie is as ignorant as many other bigots.  She assumes because a female is an athlete she is a Lesbian.  Way off base (pun intended).

I think her tone was probably misreported or misconstrued. Plenty of lesbians (and straight women, too, I imagine) make little jokes like this and it's always tongue-in-cheek. I really doubt she thought Hasselbeck was a lesbian. She still shouldn't have said it, though, because she should have known the response it would get, not just from Elisabeth but from the public as well.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Apparently Rosie is as ignorant as many other bigots.  She assumes because a female is an athlete she is a Lesbian.  Way off base (pun intended).

I see it as a joke. I know plenty of lesbians who make jokes based on stereotypes of themselves. Sports, footwear, interests, haircuts, fashion. Rosie was making a joke.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

I see it as a joke. I know plenty of lesbians who make jokes based on stereotypes of themselves. Sports, footwear, interests, haircuts, fashion. Rosie was making a joke.

Rosie should have known better not to say that knowing how some people view her.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, bannana said:

It just gets better and better juicier and juicier.

I am confused though, it appears Rosie was interviewed for this book, but she is trashing the author.  But she isn't denying what she said. 😕

Whoopi was meaner to Rosie than anyone else!

Wow, I didn't know they'd already argued over Whoopi's "rape rape" defense of Polanski in the past before they were even on The View together. That was a prelude to Bill Cosby. Whoopi comes from the world where you lie to protect everyone. While loyalty is an admirable thing, I'm not sure I'd extend that to trying to preserve the image of someone who's done something heinous like rape or possibly molestation.

"Worse than FOX News." I'll admit that season is what made me view Whoopi completely different from what I had prior. I used to be a casual fan of Whoopi's before that. Joy was always the reason I watched The View, but I had a respect for Barbara and Whoopi, too. Those interactions with Rosie proved her whole shtick of being laidback, unaffected, and a friend to everyone was just an image. I've never seen someone act so ridiculous on-air for what seemed like no reason. Hard to say if she was worse than Elisabeth or not. Probably worse because Elisabeth was an upstart looking for her 5 minutes with the aid of Sweaty Geddie while Whoopi had nothing to gain at all with the way she acted except to feel like she was powerful. Although Whoopi seems to have finally calmed down for the most part the past two years--her occasional nastiness to Sunny notwithstanding--I'll never view her the same way again.

• Love 11