Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

Bill Geddes is going too?  What's up over there?  And being gone effectively is kind of drastic, isn't it?  Will there be a new show tomorrow?  Monday?  I'm so confused.

Friday's show, featuring the triumphant return of Barbara Walters after 6 weeks of retirement, was taped Wednesday.

LOL ginger - I can hear BW now saying how much they all love each other

I like Ross....seems like a nice guy, but I am not seeing what he is bringing in the intellectual sense. Same with Jesse. Politics will be off the table for sure I would think. Which is a good thing except with the POTUS coming up in 2 years....

Must be a different format entirely coming.

I think with Jesse they are copying Michael Strahan from, Kelly and Michael. I rarely watch that show but like him and that show has always steered away from the controversial.

From TMZ just now:

"The View" is cleaning house.  Network sources tell us the cast has been fired... except for Whoopi Goldberg.

Our sources say there was a meeting at ABC late Thursday afternoon and they announced Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy were out.  We've now confirmed executive producer Bill Geddie will not be coming back.

Maybe not coincidentally ... Barbara Walters is scheduled to be on the show Friday (though it did tape on Wednesday).

"The View" has been in turmoil since Jenny was hired ... it messed up the chemistry on the show.

And several sources say there's a real chance Rosie O'Donnell will be coming back.  We're also told producers are "very interested" in Laila Ali.

We're also told the show is interested in Ross Mathews and Jesse Palmer.

Jenny tweeted late Thursday, "My View will be changing too. As will with many hard working folks. Thanks to everyone at the show for your dedication and an amazing year."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz35nvBcSr3

I can't say I'm surprised. Altho - I do think Sherri and Jenny should go. Bill Getty wasn't a very good producer and it's obvious that ABC started taking over as soon as Barbara said she was leaving. I think they picked Jenny.

That said- I'd like them to return to the original format. 5 women from different generations discussing different topics. I do not want to see a male co-host. Sorry!

• Love 8

I think the best news is that Bill Geddie will be out....along with Sherri.    I think Jenny could have stayed and improved  if given the chance.  Bill Geddie and his array of conservative co-hosts really made me uncomfortable - not because they were conservative but because some of them altered the facts to make their points. 

• Love 8

Wow, it's confirmed that Geddie is gone? Yippee! It's about damn time. It looks like ABC had to get Babs out of the way before they were able to finally get rid of Geddie and revamp the show that he's managed to destroy.

If Sherri and Jenny will no longer be on any shows, I'm not that surprised considering the show's history of swift endings, (Star, Rosie, EH). But, don't forget, they were not fired! Yeah, right.

• Love 4

I've read they are taking a break through July 4? So if the show returns Monday July 7 I'm assuming there will be a collection of subs?

And that will last through the months of July-Aug because they wouldn't want to replay the current cast leading up to the 2015 version of the revamped View?

I don't know if this whole thing was so badly mishandled due to the Year of Babs illusion that wanted to pretend Barbara was leaving behind a successful, well received, smooth functioning legacy/show?

• Love 1

And Joy leaving too....and Debbie. Meredith on her own terms.

I can't remember to going away party/s for EH and JB....were there any?

Should be interesting seeing SS and JM's.

They gave Joy a nice send off.... but Elisabeth snuck out of there like a thief in the night

• Love 8

A taped show tomorrow is going to make all of them look idiotic , imo. 

Don't you mean more idiotic @ginger?  I know, seems impossible.  I'm cracking up just thinking about Babs and the gang of morons sitting around the table tomorrow.

Hahahahah!  Break out the champagne!  Geddie Gets Gone!  But I'm in the camp of just cancel this mess already; I don't have alot of faith in TPTB when they leak the news on a Thursday before not only an new show but a week of reruns rather than make an announcement like a grownup. 

I'm guessing it was one of those - "Get your things and leave the building today" meetings which is probably why Jenny and Sherri felt free to get their statements out there.   I wonder if they were surprised?  Geddie and Sherri were long overdue and I don't have a problem with Jenny leaving.  She spent eight months on this show of "Hot Topics" and never ever mentioned her years as a big celebrity activist against vaccinating children.  Like it never happened.

While I've always believed it wasn't Babs idea to retire, I do think it was her idea to leave during sweeps and before the season ended - in large part so she wouldn't have to deal with these well deserved firings.  Now it all makes sense to me.  I doubt she had anything to do with the "shake-up" but this way she got to avoid any association with it.  I never said Babs wasn't smart. 

• Love 7
Sherri's last tweet implies that she's gone effective immediately. Jenny seems to be the same. She tweeted a picture of Bill, Sherri, another lady and herself saying "these are my avengers and we will be back!" So I guess our prayer of Geddie being gone has finally come true.

Isn't that other lady the producer who saw Lindsay Lohan in a restaurant and stalked/photographed/ridiculed her?   So maybe the production staff, starting with Exec Producer Geddie is gone too.

• Love 1
(edited)

Babs was on Nightline--plugging--but said nothing about the firings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Bill Geddie, 58, also an executive producer on the show, has been let go, too. But an insider said he’s negotiating a new contract and is expected to return."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NY Daily news is reporting Geddie will return (bad). And so will Babs (bad). How can it be a new beginning with these two running things? Get them out of there!

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/view-dumps-co-hosts-leaving-whoopi-goldberg-article-1.1845959

It was also funny that ABC makes it sound like this all happened Thursday. The changes were likely decided on months ago and they are just picking a holliday week off to announce it.

Edited by Brownstone.Muir
  • Love 3
(edited)

Don't you mean more idiotic @ginger?  I know, seems impossible.  I'm cracking up just thinking about Babs and the gang of morons sitting around the table tomorrow.

Hahahahah!  Break out the champagne!  Geddie Gets Gone!  But I'm in the camp of just cancel this mess already; I don't have alot of faith in TPTB when they leak the news on a Thursday before not only an new show but a week of reruns rather than make an announcement like a grownup. 

I'm guessing it was one of those - "Get your things and leave the building today" meetings which is probably why Jenny and Sherri felt free to get their statements out there.   I wonder if they were surprised?  Geddie and Sherri were long overdue and I don't have a problem with Jenny leaving.  She spent eight months on this show of "Hot Topics" and never ever mentioned her years as a big celebrity activist against vaccinating children.  Like it never happened.

While I've always believed it wasn't Babs idea to retire, I do think it was her idea to leave during sweeps and before the season ended - in large part so she wouldn't have to deal with these well deserved firings.  Now it all makes sense to me.  I doubt she had anything to do with the "shake-up" but this way she got to avoid any association with it.  I never said Babs wasn't smart. 

I say break out the champagne, Cosmocrush is backkkkk!!! That is the icing on the cake right now! Several of us have been wondering where you were, Cosmocrush, and just tonight in the Small Talk topic I said this big news would hopefully get you over here!

Geddie and Sherri are finally gone and now  - bonus - Cosmocrush is back!

Now, we just need Bossa Nova to check in, and probably a few others who never made it over here.

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 3

Yay @Cosmocrush - good to see you!  Several posters have been asking where you were...

Thanks @Tunia.  I haven't really been watching the show since TW0P shut down but when I heard this news I knew you guys would be all over it and wanted to join in! 

Now, I see that I was  premature in celebrating Geddie's departure.  Damn,  I should have known better - this show is so cheaply produced it must make buckets of money for ABC.   Like a barnacle on the bottom of a boat that guy is going to hang on until the network pulls the plug on this mess.  I mean, this is a guy who made his entire career off Barbara Walters and her name.   Well, they can keep changing the cast and the theme song, add men. etc.  but with Geddie as the hands on executive producer, this show will remain a shitshow to me.   Sadly, it's so cheap to produce it

I say break out the champagne, Cosmocrush is backkkkk!!! That is the icing on the cake right now! Several of us have been wondering where you were, Cosmocrush, and just tonight in the Small Talk topic I said this big news would hopefully get you over here!

Geddie and Sherri are finally gone and now  - and, bonus - Cosmocrush is back!

Now, we just need Bossa Nova to check in, and probably a few others who never made it over here.

ETA:  Awww, thanks @LuckyBitch!  After all our years together in the trenches at TW0P guess you know me well.  The minute I heard about this I thought about all of us from TW0P and knew I had to get in on the celebration.   

• Love 3
(edited)

Contradictory formation out there about Geddie. One article says he's gone, another says he stays on as exec. Producer. I'm betting that the truth is he's staying (unfortunately).

Sounds like ABC will be "evolving" the show so it will come back as a totally different animal in the Fall. The successful format of smart women of different ages discussing issues will be discarded (why? That's what made the show unique and interesting!). The show was at it's height and it' she's t when Meredith, Joy and Lisa were all on. It will be a total fiasco next year, never to return to my TV screen or DVR recording schedule. I haven't been taping regularly for a couple of years anyway. All good things must come to an end....sigh....I was hoping for an intelligent panel of diverse women again

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 2

Isn't that other lady the producer who saw Lindsay Lohan in a restaurant and stalked/photographed/ridiculed her?   So maybe the production staff, starting with Exec Producer Geddie is gone too.

Yes, that's Alexandra "Dusty" Cohen. But, Former Nun, it's worse than that. Dusty is the one who ran into Amanda Bynes at the height of Amanda's mental illness breakdowns in NYC . Dusty giddily talked about her Amanda sighting on The View. She was so flipping proud of herself it was disgusting.

Based on her shameful behavior over the Amanda incident, I'm convinced Dusty is a large part of this show spinning off the rails into reality TV show crap and "pop" culture "news". She helped Geddie destroy this show. Good riddance.

In her book, Audition, Babs said:

Bill was and is indispensable. He hired a director and a bunch of bright young producers, gave them marching orders, and whipped the show into shape. The producers, most of whom are still with us, start with Alexandra "Dusty" Cohen, who, as supervising producer, is Bill's right arm.

Jenny's tweet:

These are my Avengers and we will be back! pic.twitter.com/fjtxqfpY3H

RUsYWpt.jpg

• Love 1

I'm wondering if Jenny is referring to Sweaty Bill Geddie and his blonde "right arm" as her "Avengers" - meaning they will remain to take revenge for her and Sherri's departure.  Or more likely, Jenny doesn't know what "avenge" means because if she thinks Geddie is on her side she's even dumber than I thought.  IF Geddie is still attached to this show, he had to either have a hand in this or at the very least didn't protest it. 

More articles:

People Magazine - no new info, but they include Sherri and Jenny's tweets from tonight, including pics.

Variety (via Yahoo) - brings up that Radar Online article from last November that was discussed at TWoP:

Rumors that Shepherd was looking to exit the series first surfaced last November, when a “well-placed production source” told Radar Online that the star was “worried she’ll be out of a job after Barbara [Walters] leaves,” and was “quietly looking for new opportunities.”

Daily Beast - which is worth clicking just for the headline and the photo, has some interesting info:

According to TMZ, which apparently broke the story, two of The View’s regular panelists—actress Sherri Shepherd and former Playboy playmate Jenny McCarthy—are toast after a Thursday afternoon meeting with ABC executives who’ve been concerned about the franchise’s recent ratings slide and chemistry issues.

Longtime executive producer Bill Geddie, Walters’s partner in her personal production company, Barwall Productions, may also be headed for the exit, TMZ said.

Host Whoopi Goldberg is staying, TMZ reported. And Shepherd issued a late-night statement suggesting she’s leaving the show of her own volition.

(snip)

A television insider, intimately familiar with the workings of The View, said the shakeup is probably the handiwork of Ben Sherwood, the recently named president of the ABC Television Group, and ABC Daytime executive vice president Lisa Hackner.

An email to the publicist for Goldberg and McCarthy, requesting comment, was not answered as of this writing.

They gave Joy a nice send off.... but Elisabeth snuck out of there like a thief in the night

LOL!!  Before she snuck out Lizzy made sure she announced that she had a degree from the "Barbara Walters School of Journalism" - and has that prime 6am gig at FAUX News.to prove it.

~So long, Sherri. See you on Twitter and the next TMZ divorce article. If Sal and the first ex don't take all your money, kid, eggs and wigs, you might get a slot on a shopping channel.  Don't be a strang----uh, actually, it's best that we take some much-needed time apart.

~Buh-bye, Jenny. I must say that you did not annoy me. In fact, I didn't see you sitting there some days. You might have been more interesting if The Spew had ever bothered to hire a creative team to help out. The 4am guy can only do so much. See you when I read about your next Playboy spread.

~Goodbye, Sweaty Geddie. You will be missed.....by absolutely nobody.

Surely to GOD they will get rid of those stupid guest selfies and the cluttered wall of photos.

• Love 6

From the Daily Beast link:

And indeed, late Thursday night there came a flood of rumors and unconfirmed reports of a talent massacre at The View

I'm confused, what talent?  Chuckles.  Waves at CosmoCrush - been a very, very long time.

• Love 2
(edited)

ABC in the early AM News was admitting the changes and their were a few eyebrows raised and slight grins while the duo were reading about the View. Ha!

Sherri has also said something about 7 years being the Biblical time or change and it was her time to leave. This is one cast member who will never admit she was canned. Although to be fair I don't think Joy did either? Elisabeth to her credit finanlly did when it was dragged out of her.

I still think Whoopi should go too (and Geddie and Babs ownership bought out) but it looks like she will survive this as moderator.

Edited by Brownstone.Muir

Watching Fox & Friends right now and they mentioned Jenny & Sherri getting fired. The lady reading the news said she knows 1 cohost that's "irreplaceable" - Elisabeth Hasselbeck - then the male cohost (Steve?) told Elisabeth "as soon as you leave, the ratings go down!!!"  (Ugh). Elisabeth chuckled and said "I wonder what Whoopi is thinking right now... where did everyone go!?" 

It makes absolutely no sense to say Bill Geddie was let go, but he's expected to return and is negotiating a new contract.  People who are fired don't immediately return.  Perhaps a contract expired and he's negotiating, but if he was fired there would be no option for a return.  The show should hire Joy again.  I truly hope Bill is gone.  If they get the chemistry right, I may return to the show.  Whoopi should be gone too, though.  I have no respect for her after defending Mel Gibson, Roman Polanski and finally Justin Bieber.  It's as if she made a pact with someone to defend every celebrity.

• Love 3

People.com said

Both co-hosts are expected to complete season 17, which runs through the first full week of August.

Some places are saying they're going into hiatus next week though in light of what happened.

(edited)

It had been reported for months that The View was going to get rid of Elisabeth....I think they told her to look for a new job. Once she found the Fox News gig, she was gone immediately.

But it was odd that suddenly, in the middle of the week (as I recall), she was gone after so many years on air.

This article says Jenny was fired and Sherri wouldn't take the new contract.

http://www.thewrap.com/inside-the-view-exits-sherri-shepherd-rejected-abcs-final-offer-jenny-mccarthys-contract-not-renewed/

Edited by nowandlater
  • Love 1

Sherri has also said something about 7 years being the Biblical time or change and it was her time to leave.

That's news to me. I always thought that the seven year thing had to do with dog years not God years.

Yes, that's Alexandra "Dusty" Cohen. But, Former Nun, it's worse than that. Dusty is the one who ran into Amanda Bynes at the height of Amanda's mental illness breakdowns in NYC . Dusty giddily talked about her Amanda sighting on The View. She was so flipping proud of herself it was disgusting.

Thanks, Lucky Bitch.  That's what I remember.  It was like kicking a puppy who had already been hit by a car.  Her glee was awful.

• Love 4

Why are they keeping Whoopi around though? She's certainly not the 'anchor' of the show. For me, she's been a terrible moderator. She clearly doesn't seem to care and is only there for the paycheck. Which I can't say I blame her for that, but as Sherri would say, You know that's funny that the person who appears to the care the least isn't being booted with the rest of them. 

• Love 2

Another one (can't remember who) said that the show will be moving studios to one on 47th, Katie Couric's former set.

Geez - they didn't have to fire Jenny and Sherri after all...just move the studio and don't give them the new address!

• Love 8

This is without a doubt the best analysis of what is discussed here every day and even more so now with the departures.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/view-wants-care-again-bye-091500406.html

@maryis, this is a great analysis of the devolution of this show.  I love the suggestion that if ABC is going to go forward they need to go smarter.  That's what Joy, Meredith, and Star all had in common, they were smart.  Rosie as well.  Whoopi is no dummy but i think she thinks she's smarter than she really is on this show because she's surrounded by morons (Sherri, Bits, then Jenny).  

From the article linked above:

Do you remember when "The View" was as close as you could get to must-see morning talk show TV?  When it was seemingly a microcosm for the political debates going on between the left and right?  When the chemistry between the hosts could entice surprising off the cuff answers from any guest? (Even those who thought they were just there to promote a new movie or TV show?).  Yes, it's been awhile. It's been a long while and that's probably the biggest reason Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy are leaving the show.

News broke Thursday night that Shepherd, who has been a permanent co-host since 2007, and McCarthy, who joined for this past season, would not return for the show's 18the edition.  Along with show co-creator Barbara Walters "retirement" that leaves only Oscar-winner Whoopi Goldberg left at the table.  McCarthy was brought on board to replace the departing Elisabeth Hasslebeck and Joy Behar, but with so many guest hosts sitting in for Walters or one of the other three regulars it didn't felt like "The View" at all this past year.

• Love 3

ET just reported that Andi, the current Bachelorette, is in the running for cohost. They also mentioned Rosie and Lalia Ali. For men cohosts, Ross was mentioned and former bachelor Jessie Palmer.

(edited)

Either Rosie and Laila Ali have really good publicists (I remember that Rosie actually shared one with Madonna I think at one point?) getting their names out their repeatedly or there is a good chance that these two are set for chairs.  I keep seeing them cited in different media outlets by multiple sources - or perhaps it's just the one source talking to various media outlets.

I like Ross, he seems earnest enough most of the time, but after a while I think he'd get a wee bit grating, weren't he and Rosie pretty tight?

I can somewhat see Whoopi and Rosie working well together with their mutual love of Broadway, Rosie is more volatile about issues whereas Whoopi is more laid back.  Makes me wonder who the conservative or young one would be.  Please, no Bachelorettes!  Someone up thread mentioned that there HAS to be a bright recent college graduate in NYC, I concur, what with Barnard, Columbia and NYU in the city.  (Julie Zeilinger comes to mind.)

I like Laila Ali a lot as well.

That Yahoo piece did articulate the recent history of the show very well.

Edited by NextIteration

I thought Ross already had his own show on E! 

It was reported in May that it was canceled -- reported by Radar Online, though.

The Wrap, which is more reliable, reported a few days ago that Hello Ross! is unlikely to be renewed. It is produced by Chelsea Handler, who's leaving the network after dissing everybody there. But he's supposed to continue doing E! red carpet stuff.

http://www.thewrap.com/es-hello-ross-future-uncertain-due-to-chelsea-handlers-impending-exit/

• Love 1
(edited)

If Laila Ali is on board, I may actually start watching again. Already has ties to ABC as a former DWTS contestant, has hosting skills (currently has a show on CBS Saturday skills), articulate, smart, funny, beautiful...what's not to like?

But ABC needs to stay away from Bachelor contestants. Unless you are addicted to the show, I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Salon echoes the sentiment of the Yahoo article; if you're not going to cancel it, go smarter.

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/27/abc_dont_bother_firing_everyone_just_cancel_the_view_already/

US Magazine is saying that Jenny played it "too safe." As in muzzling her vaccinations comments but shilling for e cigarettes which made headlines again last week? Sure.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/the-view-shakeup-jenny-mccarthys-firing-not-a-shock-show-up-in-air-2014276

---

I did find one more article (which I can't find for now) but said when the show started, the median age was 45. Now it's close to 62. So clearly trying to do "What's Poppin'" to an audience reaching the AARP levels was a bad idea.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 4
(edited)

I did find one more article (which I can't find for now) but said when the show started, the median age was 45. Now it's close to 62. So clearly trying to do "What's Poppin'" to an audience reaching the AARP levels was a bad idea.

I think those numbers refer  to the age of the co-hosts not the audience.  But it makes sense either way. 

The Salon article @mtlchick linked above is good.  This sums up Jenny's participation for me: 

That was, of course, before conservative Hasselbeck and liberal Joy Behar departed the series; since then, the show has been overtaken by the flat celebrity gossip that had always been a part of its formula. McCarthy encapsulates the show’s major problem over the past year: Though many had worried the vaccine-truther would use the show to spread pseudoscience, she’s too vain a self-styled superstar to take a real risk on-air. She creamily expresses absolutely no opinion at all, and the show, moderated by Whoopi Goldberg (who straightforwardly just wants a check), sinks to her level — who on this show is going to initiate a serious-minded debate over ISIS? “The View” was never amazing TV, but it brought well-intended political debates to an underserved audience, and at its best it allowed viewers to better understand just what unpolished personalities from outside the punditocracy were thinking.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 1

..... is produced by Chelsea Handler, who's leaving the network after dissing everybody there.

I know she's not in the running, but can you imagine if Chelsea Handler was a co-host on this show?  YEs, she left E! but she's joining Netflix with a new talk show.

The couple of times I saw Jenny on the show before she was hired.  I found her more articulate and intelligent than I thought she would've been. 

When they hired her, they had a part for her to play, and that was the boring, not smart, fluff host that we saw. 

I also have to agree with many of you on here - GEDDIE MUST GO!!!!!

• Love 7

C of Cinci,  what a fun combo!   Still, Candace Cameron Bure` seems to be a much kinder, more genuine person than Bitsy Hasselbeck.

I know she's not nearly as nutso, and not her fault, but the issue with CCB on the show to me would be the backdoor credibility it would lend to her super-insane brother.

If they simply need someone to espouse the "place of a woman is to lovingly submit to the will of her husband" View, then sure.  But if it's just to get a semi-conservative, they can probably do a bit better.

ET just reported that Andi, the current Bachelorette, is in the running for cohost. They also mentioned Rosie and Lalia Ali. For men cohosts, Ross was mentioned and former bachelor Jessie Palmer.

So they're looking to go from "this show's credibility is badly damaged" to "this show's credibility is deader than that Parrot"?

• Love 4