Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
COESpiral

In The Media: DWTS

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

People say Cody is very popular. Maybe he's getting so many votes they want to keep him on the show? 

Yeah, he’s apparently got a rabid cult following among suburban Peloton moms, especially. Which seems like a likely desired viewing population for this show. Which also doesn’t dissuade me from my conspiracy theory that there’s a behind the scenes agreement between Peloton and the producers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

17 minutes ago, Emily-D said:

I'm not surprised they've moved heaven and earth to keep him on the show. He's probably the only male dancer who can match up to some of those girls unless one of the others show dramatic improvement, then you've got his fanbase and the show's desperation not to lose those viewers. I think we all know had this happened to a middle of the roader like say Christine, they'd probably have been withdrawn.

I agree. I was a bit unsure when he tested positive too given some past "rules." However, they both tested positive and say they feel up to doing it. So no issue from me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Yeah, he’s apparently got a rabid cult following among suburban Peloton moms, especially. Which seems like a likely desired viewing population for this show. Which also doesn’t dissuade me from my conspiracy theory that there’s a behind the scenes agreement between Peloton and the producers.

Rabid is an understatement. Seriously. 

I don’t take his rides, he is not my cup of tea, but his rides are massively popular and in high demand. His numbers are being posted on every Peloton group I follow and the other instructors are referencing his dances in their rides/runs/classes. Sam Yo mentioned watching his performances on YouTube in the UK.

  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Welcome to the world of Covid. Cody & Cheryl dancing remotely and separately is a good example of what we have to do now that we have this disease in our lives. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

Welcome to the world of Covid. Cody & Cheryl dancing remotely and separately is a good example of what we have to do now that we have this disease in our lives. 

Except last season proved they were able to have the show with all couples rehearsing and no one getting sick because restrictions were placed on non-essential travel and during the duration of the season the couples were mostly in a bubble. 

This situation has nothing to do with a "new normal" in my opinion. It's the result of unnecessary behavior that led to their getting sick. I maintain that I see no reason those two needed to be flying back willy nilly as they were. And also, once Cheryl was sick, they should have been eliminated. YMMV

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

Song list for next week: https://d23.com/dancing-with-the-stars-disney-heroes-and-villains-songs-revealed/

Couple questions:

How the hell is “Bad Guy” a Disney song?
How is “Remember Me” from Coco a villain song?? I guess if they do the faster version the evil guy sings after he stole it?
For the love of god, how many Pirates of the Caribbean pasos will they force on us?

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Cheryl said on Entertainment Tonight that she is cleared to return to DWTS. How many days behind was Cody?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Cheryl said on Entertainment Tonight that she is cleared to return to DWTS. How many days behind was Cody?

4?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, MsTree said:

4?

If Cheryl cleared Wednesday that would be Sunday for Cody. That's pushing it for a live show on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

If Cheryl cleared Wednesday that would be Sunday for Cody. That's pushing it for a live show on Monday.

They can still practice in separate rooms and be ready on Monday if they BOTH get cleared. Anything they can put together is going to better than dancing in separate living rooms.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

According to Cheryl, Cody should be cleared on Friday to fly out. Which I say is WAY too soon because didn't he get his test results last Wednesday or Thursday?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

According to Cheryl, Cody should be cleared on Friday to fly out. Which I say is WAY too soon because didn't he get his test results last Wednesday or Thursday?

The rules are different for people who are vaccinated. Once they test negative, they can return to regular activities regardless of the duration.

I know that the quarantine in my area is for 10 days for exposure without the vaccine and with a negative test. Cody would hit that 10 days by Friday.

By either measure, he would have hit the COVID rules where I live.

I am in an area with a mask mandate in schools and where 90% of the adults are wearing masks into stores. we have a 75% vaccination rate, 2 shots, for all eligible groups. the teens are at something like 89% vaccinated. So I am not in an area with tons of COVID deniers. 

So I am fine with his flying on Friday as long as he is testing negative.

 

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

https://okmagazine.com/p/dwts-producers-disappointed-worried-ratings-low-host-tyra-banks-generating-buzz/
 

While Olivia Jade, JoJo Siwa, Matt James and Amanda Kloots were thought to generate coverage and interest, the reaction has been a little tepid,” the insider continued, noting Siwa’s history making same-sex pairing didn’t quite generate the publicity they had hoped.

“To be honest, Tyra [Banks] is the one making the headlines — good or bad — and that at least means that the show is in people's mind,” the source said, adding execs have “confidence that she can turn it around.”

 

17 minutes ago, treeofdreams said:

Tom Bergeron Gets Brutally Honest About Getting Fired From 'Dancing With the Stars'

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/tom-bergeron-gets-brutally-honest-220000149.html

Tom was lovely there. He always is.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Tom is a good man. Tyra is a narcissist. She has ruined this show for me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, rcc said:

Tom is a good man. Tyra is a narcissist. She has ruined this show for me.

How is is she a narcissist?  What is your evidence?  

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, bybrandy said:

https://okmagazine.com/p/dwts-producers-disappointed-worried-ratings-low-host-tyra-banks-generating-buzz/
 

While Olivia Jade, JoJo Siwa, Matt James and Amanda Kloots were thought to generate coverage and interest, the reaction has been a little tepid,” the insider continued, noting Siwa’s history making same-sex pairing didn’t quite generate the publicity they had hoped.

“To be honest, Tyra [Banks] is the one making the headlines — good or bad — and that at least means that the show is in people's mind,” the source said, adding execs have “confidence that she can turn it around.”

 

Tom was lovely there. He always is.  

 

The producers thought Jojo dancing with a female and college scandal girl were gonna bring in viewers but it did the opposite. There's a lack overall buzz with the cast this year, just an overall weak selection of celebs that nobody was jumping out of their seats about.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Kira53 said:

How is is she a narcissist?  What is your evidence?  

Evidence! Watching her acting like she is the star of the show is enough for me.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The problem with Jojo is they missed the boat. Same sex dancing has already been done in the UK version of the show. It's not as big a deal as it may have been a few seasons ago.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, rcc said:

Tyra is a narcissist. She has ruined this show for me.

NPD - Narcissistic Personality Disorder can't be diagnosed on a message board. It is not to be taken lightly.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I must say the huge drop in ratings this season surprised me, as it came from nowhere. However, I just realised that NCIS now airs at the same time on CBS which probably explains it. I'm assuming that those two shows hugely overlap in terms of viewership and that loads of people are skipping DWTS in favour of watching that. Mind you, DWTS don't help themselves by uploading the dances straight onto Youtube afterwards, it means anyone missing it can just catch up by watching those.

You do have to wonder now how long DWTS can go on for, on ABC anyway. I could see it doing an American Idol and taking a break for 2-3 years before another network picks it up and throws loads of money at it to try and perhaps attract bigger stars to dance. Take NBC for example, they've wanted a good dancing show for ages and only gave up on that World of Dance recently. Tom B just signed a new contract with them, whose to say they couldn't pick DWTS up in the future, bring back Tom to host and throw a bigger budget at it to get new stars.

Edited by Emily-D
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Has it always aired opposite of Monday Night Football? My Husband is annoyed with me because I am watching this and we only switch to football when it is a commercial or not Cody.

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Has it always aired opposite of Monday Night Football? My Husband is annoyed with me because I am watching this and we only switch to football when it is a commercial or not Cody.

Yeah it has. It's usually been up against that, The Voice and Big Bang Theory until that ended. All hugely popular shows, but DWTS held its own because it skews slighter older. NCIS moving over though is probably the closest overlap to the sort of viewership who would usually watch DWTS and combined with Tyra taking over the show and the lack of star power nowadays has ultimately led to this drop. I do think that season Bobby Bones won really hurt the show long term. It lost so much credibility with viewers that season, including myself, although I really enjoyed Season 29 (last year).

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Did Tyra say next week is Grease Night. I love musicals but I don't love Grease. I don't know that I can stand a whole night of the music from Grease . How many people are left? Is there even enough songs or are we getting songs from Grease 2 as well? Why not a Broadway Night instead of a focus on one musical especially one that probably doesn't lend itself to a variety of dances.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Did Tyra say next week is Grease Night. I love musicals but I don't love Grease. I don't know that I can stand a whole night of the music from Grease . How many people are left? Is there even enough songs or are we getting songs from Grease 2 as well? Why not a Broadway Night instead of a focus on one musical especially one that probably doesn't lend itself to a variety of dances.

Yeah, Carrie Anne apparently leaked the schedule for the rest of the season, and I can’t say I’m super excited for the themes: 

Plain text version if you don’t want to read the photo sideways: 

I shudder to think what “Fashion TBD” is and can only picture a horrible Americas Next Top Model challenge. They have to dance on an invisible underwater catwalk while pendulums swing back and forth across the ballroom! 

If they stick to this it’s 2 more double eliminations towards the end of the season.

  • Useful 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Awesome. It looks like we’ll miss out on tearjerker week (“my most memorable year”). 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Good Lord, there's a fashion night. Tyra's going to try and teach people how to dance "but make it fashion!", isn't she?

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

NPD - Narcissistic Personality Disorder can't be diagnosed on a message board. It is not to be taken lightly.

True, but we can certainly say she's stuck up, egotistical, full of herself, thinks her shit don't stink, etc...among other narcissistic traits.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, shoregirl said:

Did Tyra say next week is Grease Night. I love musicals but I don't love Grease. I don't know that I can stand a whole night of the music from Grease . How many people are left? Is there even enough songs or are we getting songs from Grease 2 as well? Why not a Broadway Night instead of a focus on one musical especially one that probably doesn't lend itself to a variety of dances.

That Grease soundtrack has 20 songs or something crazy. Some of them are sung in the stage show but are just background songs in the movie, mostly at the dance. If they use all of those songs, they would have more than enough. Those Magic Changes, Freddy My Love, Hound Dog, Born to Hand Jive, Rock n' Roll is Here to Stay are all better songs for dancing than something character heavy like There Are Worse Things I Could Do or Sandra Dee.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, MsTree said:

True, but we can certainly say she's stuck up, egotistical, full of herself, thinks her shit don't stink, etc...among other narcissistic traits.

Yes we can say those things. If you can get that from a 2 hour a week TV show. 

How about this: She makes me want to stick my head in the toilet and flush it! Is that a good one?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, mbluecpa said:

Awesome. It looks like we’ll miss out on tearjerker week (“my most memorable year”). 

I miss Most Memorable Year actually, I feel like it helps get to know the contestants better. Like Kenya is someone I wasn’t familiar with at all and I’m finding it hard to care about her, but we’ve gotten hints that she’s got an interesting story, with her daughter and all. I’d rather learn more about them than “celebrate Grease.”

Also I’m a sap and want to see Amanda dance to “What They’ll Say About Us” by Finneas because he wrote it for her.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If Queen night means that there will be a night of music from Queen I am down with that night.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

If Queen night means that there will be a night of music from Queen I am down with that night.

I love Queen but I can see the band butchering their songs.  Only originals please!!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/12/2021 at 2:07 PM, TVMovieBuff said:

NPD - Narcissistic Personality Disorder can't be diagnosed on a message board. It is not to be taken lightly.

I think you can diagnose people you’ve never met - it’s not like you’re saying it’s a 100% true or an official diagnosis. I’m fine saying a former certain occupant of a particular house was absolutely one. BUT I think way too many people on SM use that word as if it’s synonymous with selfish and/or egotistical, which it’s not. I would call Tyra egotistical definitely.

4 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I miss Most Memorable Year actually, I feel like it helps get to know the contestants better. Like Kenya is someone I wasn’t familiar with at all and I’m finding it hard to care about her, but we’ve gotten hints that she’s got an interesting story, with her daughter and all. I’d rather learn more about them than “celebrate Grease.”

Also I’m a sap and want to see Amanda dance to “What They’ll Say About Us” by Finneas because he wrote it for her.

 

I think it’s at least the second year without it and I don’t miss it much. Kendra was able to tell a story about her struggle to conceive this week without that particular. Jojo’s talked about her struggles. Amanda’s talked about her husband. She can still dance to that song without that theme. If My Most Memorable year wasn’t always used as a sob fest to score sympathy points, I’d probably miss it more.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

26 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I think it’s at least the second year without it and I don’t miss it much. Kendra was able to tell a story about her struggle to conceive this week without that particular. Jojo’s talked about her struggles. Amanda’s talked about her husband. She can still dance to that song without that theme. If My Most Memorable year wasn’t always used as a sob fest to score sympathy points, I’d probably miss it more.

I don’t know, I wouldn’t say Kenya really got to “tell her story” so much as she got to state one fact about herself. I mean, it’s not like MMY was always great, but I find the weird themes rammed in there make it harder to get to know them at all. Now we seem to just get the barest minimum facts about them as wooden awkward delivery on lines like, “My wife and children are my greatest inspirations, and that’s why Britney Spears always says, you better Work Bitch.”

Or as lead ins to straight up commercials, “I have a child, and THATS why I want to tell YOU about the latest roller coaster at Disney California Adventures. (Tickets on sale now, subject to availability, terms and conditions apply, get your tickets at Disney.com)”

I wouldn’t mind no MMY if maybe the themes seemed like they had a little more flexibility, could be open to a little more interpretation. Though I have heard they have taken a lot of the autonomy away from the pros on driving some of those creative decisions, which is disappointing. 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I don’t know, I wouldn’t say Kenya really got to “tell her story” so much as she got to state one fact about herself. I mean, it’s not like MMY was always great, but I find the weird themes rammed in there make it harder to get to know them at all. Now we seem to just get the barest minimum facts about them as wooden awkward delivery on lines like, “My wife and children are my greatest inspirations, and that’s why Britney Spears always says, you better Work Bitch.”

Or as lead ins to straight up commercials, “I have a child, and THATS why I want to tell YOU about the latest roller coaster at Disney California Adventures. (Tickets on sale now, subject to availability, terms and conditions apply, get your tickets at Disney.com)”

I wouldn’t mind no MMY if maybe the themes seemed like they had a little more flexibility, could be open to a little more interpretation. Though I have heard they have taken a lot of the autonomy away from the pros on driving some of those creative decisions, which is disappointing. 

I feel like it was more than just a line. I didn’t time it or anything but she spent the bulk of her package talking about her child and there were pictures. I’m not sure what they elaborated on - or needed to - with MMY. Again, same with Amanda. She’s talked a lot about her late husband. MMY week wouldn’t change that IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I feel like it was more than just a line. I didn’t time it or anything but she spent the bulk of her package talking about her child and there were pictures. I’m not sure what they elaborated on - or needed to - with MMY. Again, same with Amanda. She’s talked a lot about her late husband. MMY week wouldn’t change that IMO. 

For me it’s that the story matches the dance. So it’s like, Jimmie talked about his family and that was cute but then danced to a Britney song about being sexy in the club, so instead of telling one cohesive story they’re telling two disjointed ones. It doesn’t have to be a “sob story” or even completely literal, it could be like, an Amanda dance where she’s like, “I had a really hard year but then I found the joy in having my family and friends support me,” and the we’d have a dance that was explicitly joyful and celebratory, that kind of matches the emotions of the story. Theres just a lot of these that feel like they don’t match, and when you’ve got like what, 2 minutes of screen time between the package and the dance, it just feels like bad storytelling.

I don’t know, maybe part of it is just that because of COVID restrictions we’re also getting less candid moments between the partners because they’re not really filming rehearsals, so it’s harder for their personalities to come through.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/13/2021 at 10:25 AM, ProfCrash said:

There is a Grease 2 which I would guess they can use as well.

LOL I'd be on the Floor laughing if they do dances to "We're gonna Bowl Tonight"  and "Reproduction".  Cool Rider would be the best choice from Grease 2 JMO. Back to School could work as well

21 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I love Queen but I can see the band butchering their songs.  Only originals please!!

Same but how many years have we heard the band butcher Songs

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/13/2021 at 10:47 AM, kitcloudkicker said:

I miss Most Memorable Year actually, I feel like it helps get to know the contestants better. Like Kenya is someone I wasn’t familiar with at all and I’m finding it hard to care about her, but we’ve gotten hints that she’s got an interesting story, with her daughter and all. I’d rather learn more about them than “celebrate Grease.”

Also I’m a sap and want to see Amanda dance to “What They’ll Say About Us” by Finneas because he wrote it for her.

 

I love that song, but Amanda dancing to it seems like too much to ask of her. Behind the bright Broadway smile, she is a woman with a small child who lost her young husband only one year ago, I doubt she's as okay as she purports to be. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The thoughts of Tyra's fashions on Fashion night gives me a headache. What will it be, songs about Zoolander, drugs, and eating disorders?

And NCIS is very popular with older people including  my mother. We watched some NCIS during DWTS. Mark Harmon has mainly pulled back from the show now, but I don't know if that will help DWTS ratings.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

For those who think Cody & Cheryl should have been eliminated upon discovery of their Covid tests: 

At that time, the PTB didn't have any way to know if other couples were going to turn up positive too. There always was the possibility of a mass Covid outbreak. What could they have done, eliminated everyone who tested positive? what if that was 5 couples? They started out with 15 this season, losing say, 5, one by one or all at once would turn the show into a joke. 

They got lucky. It was one couple (so far). The way they handled it, to dance and judge any way they could showed ingenuity and established a precedent for how it could be managed. they did what they could. DWTS is contracted with ABC, for only one example, to deliver a set number of episodes of their show. Having to cancel many couples and be left with the bare bones of a show would be a nightmare for the producers.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, TVMovieBuff said:

For those who think Cody & Cheryl should have been eliminated upon discovery of their Covid tests: 

At that time, the PTB didn't have any way to know if other couples were going to turn up positive too. There always was the possibility of a mass Covid outbreak. What could they have done, eliminated everyone who tested positive? what if that was 5 couples? They started out with 15 this season, losing say, 5, one by one or all at once would turn the show into a joke.

Fifteen are too many for the 10-week time-constrained US version of the show.  (UK's Strictly can manage 15 because they have 13 weeks without the same time constraint.)

IMO, we can't fully compare current PTB decisions with past PTB decisions. These are newer producers who assume latitude to interpret or change the "rulebook" (whatever that entails for reality competition shows). We can debate their decision-making, but it's unrealistic to expect that they adhere to previous producer rules.

Edited by RomanKat
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think whenever Tyra asks her dreaded, "How does this make you feel" question, she's attempting to recreate the sob story moments Most Memorable Year provided. Of course, there's no time to do it in those few seconds, Tyra talks through some of it, and they are randomly put on the spot so usually not able to convey much of value. 

Not sure what the producers were thinking because not only is it usually of little value sob-story-wise but it also takes away precious judges commentary time.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

FB just posted the Janet Jackson songs and which couple is dancing to which song

Olivia/Val: Any Time, Any Place

Amanda/Alan: Miss You Much

Jojo/Jenna: Feedback

Suni/Sasha: All for You

Melora/Artem: If

Jimmie/Emma: Escapade

Iman/Daniela: Rhythm Nation

Cody/Cheryl: Black Cat.

Wondering what songs will be butchered by the band or if they all will be. The weakest song IMO is Feedback,  guess a bigger song couldn't be cleared. Doesn't matter Jojo could just stand there and get 9's and 10's from the Judges. 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size