Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

After Derek's totally unprecedented 4th and 5th wins, three winless pros won. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers feel that it doesn't look good for the show if a large number of pros never win. "No more repeat winners". So if Sharna wins this year, then it's Emma next year, then Lindsay, then Artem, then Allison (ugh).

Edited by fpbl83

I think a big reason why ABC played up the 10th anniversary last season is because they're guessing they're won't be a 20th, so they might as well go all-out now.

Around 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop to once a year.

Edited by fpbl83

If the show drops to once a year it will be before 2020.  Ratings are already showing signs of fatigue this season.  The other reason to dropping once a year is the celeb pool.  At some point you run out of celebs to ask.

Yes the show has always had narratives for people, which is how poor Nastia got the cold and "doesn't connect" edit last season but I'm still not seeing that Bindi is being pimped. Bindi's edits so far has been her mentioning her dad and background for her first dance and this week was the stuff about her ankle and the song being changed. For the most part I find her packages uneventful in my opinion. She and Derek get along and then they dance.

I don't really see how they made Nastia look bad. I follow gymnastics and she has a big mouth. They could have made her look far worse IMO. 

Edited by boyznkatz

I was just looking at the betting odds as of 10/2 at https://sports.bovada.lv/entertainment and was a little surprised that Alexa PenaVega has the second best odds.  She seems to have a ton of talent, but I hadn't gotten the feeling she's really captured the watchers attention that much.  I'm not at all surprised that Nick is the odds on winner.  Current odds to win are:

• Nick Carter +200
  • Alexa PenaVega +225
  • Carlos PenaVega +700
  • Tamar Braxton +700
  • Alek Skarlatos +700
  • Bindi Irwin +800
  • Hayes Grier +1200
  • Any Grammer +1600
  • Gary Busey +5000
  • Paula Deen +10000

I was just looking at the betting odds as of 10/2 at https://sports.bovada.lv/entertainment and was a little surprised that Alexa PenaVega has the second best odds.  She seems to have a ton of talent, but I hadn't gotten the feeling she's really captured the watchers attention that much.  I'm not at all surprised that Nick is the odds on winner.  Current odds to win are:

• Nick Carter +200
  • Alexa PenaVega +225
  • Carlos PenaVega +700
  • Tamar Braxton +700
  • Alek Skarlatos +700
  • Bindi Irwin +800
  • Hayes Grier +1200
  • Any Grammer +1600
  • Gary Busey +5000
  • Paula Deen +10000

I'm surprised that Bindi is not higher.  I would think that she would be first or second since she does have a lot of fans.  She is a good dancer and also has Derek's fans to help.  Maybe, most of her fans are in Australia and can't vote but I do think she is gaining new fans.

Edited by realdancemom

If I'm not mistaken, those odds usually are affected by the weekly scores. So Alexa is likely so high because she got all those 9's this week and tied with Nick. Bindi's scores have fallen slightly. My guess, in the first two weeks, Bindi was probably first or second. 

If I'm not mistaken, those odds usually are affected by the weekly scores. So Alexa is likely so high because she got all those 9's this week and tied with Nick. Bindi's scores have fallen slightly. My guess, in the first two weeks, Bindi was probably first or second. 

It seems like they only go by weekly scores, so it's basically not worth much. It's probably between Bindi and Nick so far. Perhaps Alek can sneak in there. Everybody else is a bit of a question mark IMO. Carlos might be overshadowed for being "that other boyband guy" and not meeting overinflated expectations about his dancing. Tamar will be controversial with the main audience, I think. Alexa just isn't loud enough and distinct enough as a persona, I feel, and the Spy KIds nostalgia isn't that strong (compared to people like Bindi and Nick). Hayes isn't dancing as well as the judges say he is and I'm not sure what's going on there...is he getting the votes or are they trying to make him happen even though his young fans are starting to lose interest? Andy's getting lost in the woodwork.

There's this website that tracks the 18-49 demo, and the show did really well for about six years. Then suddenly there were big drops for S13, 14, and All-Stars, which led to them ending the Result shows. It's been largely steady since then, but it only had a 2.3 for last season's finale, way down from 3.0 last fall (power of Alfonso?) and their lowest finale rating yet.

http://www.spottedratings.com/2010/07/war-of-18-49-dancing-with-stars.html

Putting this here because I got it from a media report (on E! Entertainment Television's Twitter/website), & because I'm otherwise not sure if it fits best in Bindi's thread or Derek's, since it involves both of them. Anyway...

Australia Zoo, the zoo/wildlife park owned by Bindi's family in the Sunshine Coast of Queensland State, Australia (near Brisbane), announced they've named 1 of their new koala bear joeys (babies) after Derek--presumably just his first name & not his first & last.

http://m.eonline.com/news/702898/derek-hough-the-koala-australia-zoo-names-baby-bear-after-bindi-irwin-s-dancing-with-the-stars-partner-photo?cmpid=sn-000000-twitterfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=twitterfeed&utm_campaign=twitterfeed_celebrities_topstories

And here's a picture of the actual koala named for Derek:

https://twitter.com/australiazoo/status/650475770041597952

Edited by BW Manilowe

This has got to mean they're canceling sytycd.

I hope not.  I still love that show.  I didn't like how they hardly had any ballroom last summer but this new show doesn't cut it.  It sounds like they just want to show drama and it's really not about dance.

• Love 2

He was guest judge before, I think twice in one season. He also judged on the Indian show for a few shows. I think he'll be on the panel before Tony will - they need the ratings and the guy is popular in a more exciting way than Tony. Well, not a high bar I realize...

I think Maks did fine when he was on a few seasons ago, also resisted the temptation to do anything hurtful or controversial to grab headlines. I hope it's the same this time around, even if the producers egg him on to do something mean-spirited.

Those are actually decent pairings.... the only one I feel bad for is Hayes, as Allison doesn't seem to elevate the dancers that she gets.  So he might lag a bit with her given that he has been in the middle of the pack so far.

Yay!!! Those are the partners I wanted for Alek, Andy (although I would’ve been happy if he got Lindsay or Witney as well), and Nick. So excited! I am excited to see what Mark is going to do…and happy that Louis gets to work with someone who is actually a pretty great dancer. I’m still upset that switch up week has to happen but again, very excited that Alex, Nick, and Andy got the partners I was hoping they would get.

People magazine released the switch up partnerships 

http://www.people.com/article/dancing-staras-season-21-switch-up-week

Interesting week.  Louis gets Tamar? The shortest pro with the tallest female contestant. Talk about fairness!  Oh well, Louis has been really good on the choreography this season and with a good dancer  this might be worth watching. 

At least he gets someone who can dance for once. Of course Golden Boy didn't get Paula, who is probably going to get eliminated next week. It will be nice to see Louis dance with Tamar since this might very well be his last time on the show.

• Love 1

Oh, I like these switches. Bindi/Val and Alek/Emma were ones I wanted especially, the only real change I would have rathered would be Derek with Tamar, or Derek with Paula, to break up the Derek/Mark partner switching that's happened with the last few times they've done this. And I think Derek/Tamar would have been great, and I think Derek/Paula would have been fine and maybe stop some people whining (though realistically I know that wouldn't happen.) 

At least he gets someone who can dance for once. Of course Golden Boy didn't get Paula, who is probably going to get eliminated next week. It will be nice to see Louis dance with Tamar since this might very well be his last time on the show.

They usually skip elimination on switchup week, I'm assuming they will again? Though they change their mind all the damn time so what do I know. 

I assume if Paula gets eliminated, then Louis will go as well, no matter how well he does with Tamar. 

If they eliminated someone, then their original partner would be eliminated as well. But I don't think they will eliminate anyone. Everyone's in for 2 more weeks, and they usually throw in a double elimination later on down the season. 

People magazine released the switch up partnerships 

http://www.people.com/article/dancing-staras-season-21-switch-up-week

Interesting week.  Louis gets Tamar? The shortest pro with the tallest female contestant. Talk about fairness!  Oh well, Louis has been really good on the choreography this season and with a good dancer  this might be worth watching. 

Even though, Witney and Lindsay are friends, Lindsay is taller than her.  Carlos is going to be too short for Lindsay.  However, all the remaining female pros are too tall for him. 

I think Maks did fine when he was on a few seasons ago, also resisted the temptation to do anything hurtful or controversial to grab headlines. I hope it's the same this time around, even if the producers egg him on to do something mean-spirited.

Yes, unlike how Julianne secured her position. However, I do hope he expresses his informed point-of-view...you know, judging. Last time it was just big smiles and platitudes for all.

• Love 1

Oh, I like these switches. Bindi/Val and Alek/Emma were ones I wanted especially, the only real change I would have rathered would be Derek with Tamar, or Derek with Paula, to break up the Derek/Mark partner switching that's happened with the last few times they've done this. And I think Derek/Tamar would have been great, and I think Derek/Paula would have been fine and maybe stop some people whining (though realistically I know that wouldn't happen.)

They usually skip elimination on switchup week, I'm assuming they will again? Though they change their mind all the damn time so what do I know.

They mentioned, in passing, on Monday night that this coming Monday (Switch-Up Week) would *not* be an elimination week. That's what I heard, anyway. More than once, I'm pretty sure.

They mentioned, in passing, on Monday night that this coming Monday (Switch-Up Week) would *not* be an elimination week. That's what I heard, anyway. More than once, I'm pretty sure.

Pretty sure that they said the scores from this Monday would be added to next Monday and then there would be an elimination.

Mark with Paula? That's ... interesting. But I guess there was no token old pro to give her with, so ...

I'm interested to see what Sharna can do with Andy. And Witney and Nick is going to be fun, I think.

Even though, Witney and Lindsay are friends, Lindsay is taller than her.  Carlos is going to be too short for Lindsay.  However, all the remaining female pros are too tall for him. 

But is Carlos a contender? That Waltz was absolute crap. No rise and fall, no heel leads, dance position of a boxer, it was horrendous.  I'm thinking for those that aren't contenders who cares who they get in the switch up?   I only worry for those with pros who aren't so good, like Allison.  But I'm also feeling that the older pros,  eg Karina, Anna and Louis are boxed into a role that doesn't allow for those who they dance with to do well, even if they perform well.  We'll see. 

the only real change I would have rathered would be Derek with Tamar,

This. The only reason for me, is not because of height, or ability but because there are votes to be considered. Golden boy gets votes regardless of how he dances or with whom.  Louis just doesn't create the same buzz because he hasn't been on enough to sustain a fanbase.  Also, Nick gets Witney a mirrorball winner,  as does Bindi get Val.  They have the obvious advantage going into this.   When it comes to team dances down the road, bet on Bindi and Nick as Team Captains even though Tamar is right now in second place.  If this becomes an orchestrated push out I'm out and hopefully FOX will have a new show to root for.

• Love 1

The scores from the dances just danced and the switch-up dances will be combined, but the elimination shouldn't be till the following week.

I always like switch-up week. You get real changes. I've often wondered if Witney got a second shot because she and Drew Carey really meshed, for example. 

I always like switch-up week. You get real changes. I've often wondered if Witney got a second shot because she and Drew Carey really meshed, for example.

I do think that helped. She did a really great job with Drew. Ultimately she was the pro with the most tap training and that's likely why she was paired with Alfonso, but if she hadn't shown a spark with Drew it's hard to know if the producers would have "wasted" such a good dancer on Witney.

I like the switch up too. It's just a week. It's a new challenge for everybody and I think it really can shake up the couples.

So even the press about the switch up is pushing Bindi?  Why is she the chosen one this season??

Last year it was Rumer who was shoved down out throats so little brother could get his own trophy.

But is Carlos a contender? That Waltz was absolute crap. No rise and fall, no heel leads, dance position of a boxer, it was horrendous.  I'm thinking for those that aren't contenders who cares who they get in the switch up?   I only worry for those with pros who aren't so good, like Allison.  But I'm also feeling that the older pros,  eg Karina, Anna and Louis are boxed into a role that doesn't allow for those who they dance with to do well, even if they perform well.  We'll see. 

My post was only talking about height differences.  I think Witney is the only remaining female pro that is short enough for Carlos anyway.  So it didn't really matter who he got.  Allison might be the next shortest but I'm not sure.  Lindsay is a better ballroom pro than Allison so it works out better for Carlos.  I agree with you that Louis is too short for Tamar.  I also remembered that he had problems with some of the lifts with Sabrina during the All-Star season. 

I don't think Carlos will make the finals.  I'm not sure Tamar will either although she is a really good dancer tehnique-wise.  This show is a popularity contest as well as a dance competition.  That's why Nastia didn't make it last season and Noah did.  TPTB also push their own agendas.  The two that I'm pretty sure will make the finals are Nick and Bindi.  Tamar could be the third finalist but who knows how the votes will turn out.  For example, Alek has a good chance because of the hero factor.  He's also good looking and a polite nice guy.  Those things matter when people are voting.  Alexa also has a chance. 

This is my first season watching the show with the Switch Up - I had stopped watching previously but got sucked back in this year for Nick. I've also watched some seasons of SYTYCD. I almost wonder if it would be interesting to have a season of DWTS similar to what SYTYCD has sometimes done and have the partners switch every week. While it would still be a popularity contest on the celeb side, maybe we'd get a better focus on quality of dance and less impact from supposed favoritism of certain professionals and/or unequal teaching skills of professionals. Though the pros probably wouldn't go for losing the chance to win the mirrorball themselves and not sure how you'd decide which of them stick around with the narrowed down celebs. 

So I guess it doesn't work logistically. But some interesting possibilities.

My post was only talking about height differences.  I think Witney is the only remaining female pro that is short enough for Carlos anyway.  So it didn't really matter who he got.  Allison might be the next shortest but I'm not sure.  Lindsay is a better ballroom pro than Allison so it works out better for Carlos.  I agree with you that Louis is too short for Tamar.  I also remembered that he had problems with some of the lifts with Sabrina during the All-Star season. 

I don't think Carlos will make the finals.  I'm not sure Tamar will either although she is a really good dancer tehnique-wise.  This show is a popularity contest as well as a dance competition.  That's why Nastia didn't make it last season and Noah did.  TPTB also push their own agendas.  The two that I'm pretty sure will make the finals are Nick and Bindi.  Tamar could be the third finalist but who knows how the votes will turn out.  For example, Alek has a good chance because of the hero factor.  He's also good looking and a polite nice guy.  Those things matter when people are voting.  Alexa also has a chance. 

If Bindi Nick and Alek are the finalists, I'm out. That would be probably the worst ever finals. If the show continues to applaud shit for dance content then it's just not worth watching. 

• Love 1

If Bindi Nick and Alek are the finalists, I'm out. That would be probably the worst ever finals. If the show continues to applaud shit for dance content then it's just not worth watching. 

I think it's kinda obvious that's the outcome TPTB are aiming for...

• Love 1

So even the press about the switch up is pushing Bindi?  Why is she the chosen one this season??

Last year it was Rumer who was shoved down out throats so little brother could get his own trophy.

I never felt Rumer was shoved anywhere, she was an exciting performer who learned actual ballroom, and she's actively applying her dance skills in a celebrated run on Broadway. 

Bindi is mediocre at best. Who knows where this seaworld type is going to apply her acquired hopping skills. 

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Rumer and Ryker were hyped and pimped last season, but at least they were good. Neither Nick nor Bindi is near as good as they were, although they are better than Hayes, who is ridiculously overscored. Same score as Tamar? Blah.

• Love 2

This is my first season watching the show with the Switch Up - I had stopped watching previously but got sucked back in this year for Nick. I've also watched some seasons of SYTYCD. I almost wonder if it would be interesting to have a season of DWTS similar to what SYTYCD has sometimes done and have the partners switch every week. While it would still be a popularity contest on the celeb side, maybe we'd get a better focus on quality of dance and less impact from supposed favoritism of certain professionals and/or unequal teaching skills of professionals. Though the pros probably wouldn't go for losing the chance to win the mirrorball themselves and not sure how you'd decide which of them stick around with the narrowed down celebs. 

So I guess it doesn't work logistically. But some interesting possibilities.

I think that would result in a notable decline in the quality of dancing and performances. SYTYCD is for the most part lifelong dance students looking for their big break in a professional career. Some actually have professional careers already and are trying to get famous. DWTS stars are for the most part non-dancers looking to revitalize a career.  The pros have to make substantial effort in getting to know their partner, evaluate their strengths/weaknesses and design choreography around this. The star has to develop trust and to learn the pro's teaching style. Once the season starts, the show is like a fast moving train. As weeks pass, the pros have already figured out how their star learns and can pump out the choreography and training in fairly short order. If the stars were changing pros each week, relationships would never have a chance to develop and the star would be lost in confusion as they ricocheted between pros each week.

• Love 2

The star has to develop trust and to learn the pro's teaching style. Once the season starts, the show is like a fast moving train. As weeks pass, the pros have already figured out how their star learns and can pump out the choreography and training in fairly short order. If the stars were changing pros each week, relationships would never have a chance to develop and the star would be lost in confusion as they ricocheted between pros each week.

Spot on, I think.

But since it's out there...it might be an interesting concept to try if they ever decide to make a run at a new All Star season (unlikely, I know), but either random draw or lowest scoring couple (based on judge's votes) for the night could get first pick at a new partner from the pool of pros still in the competition. Obviously, there could be trouble if the male/female possibilities do not work out evenly, but making the troupe dancers (excluding pros who have been eliminated) available, could make for some interesting partnerships and allow the troupe dancers to get some experience in partnering with a celebrity.

Not sure if this is proper thread.  Apologies if not.

One of Alek's compadres on the train was almost stabbed to death trying to save someone from getting beaten.  Have any of you detected any hints that DWTS/BBC Worldwide will use this to highlight Alek's heroism yet again?  Perhaps put it in the package as an attempt to get Alek emotional over the close shave with death his buddy just had?

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article38180571.html

But since it's out there...it might be an interesting concept to try if they ever decide to make a run at a new All Star season (unlikely, I know), but either random draw or lowest scoring couple (based on judge's votes) for the night could get first pick at a new partner from the pool of pros still in the competition.

Or maybe an "All Ringer" season. Round up a field of ice skaters and ice dancers and gymnasts and Disney kids and up their degree of difficulty. 

• Love 2