Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

I guess this is as good as any place to put this: It was announced on GMA this morning with pretty much no promo or fanfare that the pro reveal is tomorrow.

Maybe the new judge(s?) will be there rather than the pros.

Julianne is engaged. 

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/julianne-hough-is-engaged-to-brooks-laich-2015188

It was announced on GMA this morning with pretty much no promo or fanfare that the pro reveal is tomorrow.

Personally I'm not even sure why this whole Pro reveal became a thing. Other than maybe one person, it's the same Pros we already know. What's exciting about finding out that Val, Derek, Mark, Witney, Peta, etc. will be back?

Well, I like Karina so if we can't have Kym, I'm glad she's back. I still never managed to warm up to Allison so I was hoping she'd be out but it sounds like she's back. Doesn't seem like too much shake-up on the female side unless Peta, Emma, or Sharna are out.

Wonder about the male side. Guess we will find out tomorrow. This is so much less stressful when your favorite is already committed to another version, lol. I would like to see Sasha have another shot as pro. I think he's earned it.

I think the Pro reveal has become a "thing" because it seems the first thing fans want to know is "is my favorite pro returning".

I guess I get this, though I don't share it as I'm not desperate to see any one Pro but I  guess in my opinion, unless one's favorite Pro is actually a troop member or one of the new people like Keo, it's not really a question that they'll be back. Like if your favorite is Val then yeah, spoiler alert, he'll be back. There are just some Pros where it's a given so I just think the whole thing is whatever but to each his own.

Did anyone watch? I didn't but jumped on Twitter to see. It doesn't sound like all the pros were revealed? I don't understand why they bother. I know they need to work out the final details with celebs and pairings but if you can't announce everyone, just hold off until the actual cast reveal. Or announce one pro/day on social media in the two weeks leading up to the cast reveal. Hyping it on GMA and not having a full foster is a bit lame and just looks like another chance for TPTB to pimp Val and Derek, to be honest.

GMA had the first celeb reveal for this season on this morning's show. This time they're apparently announcing them slower & separately, like this year's Miss America judges.

Australian teenage (age 17) wildlife activist Bindi (Bindi Sue) Irwin, daughter of the late Steve Irwin (aka "The Crocodile Hunter") & his American-born wife Terri, will be competing this season. She was interviewed about it today. There are also articles confirming it on pretty much every entertainment/celebrity news web/social media site today. And, lastly, Bindi's own Twitter confirms it here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BindiIrwin/status/635854647102701568?p=v

Some of the articles on the celeb/entertainment news sites are speculating Bindi's partner will be Mark Ballas, but of course nothing's confirmed yet.

Seeing as she's probably still more famous in Australia than the US, I'm a bit surprised the US version asked her instead of the Aussie version of the show. But, like I said, she is half-Aussie/half-American (though her Mom took dual Aussie/US citizenship for her 50th birthday a year or so ago), so maybe it's not that strange DWTS would ask her.

• Love 1

So I'm confused... I thought they were announcing a new star every day from now until 9/2, when they would reveal who everyone was paired with. But now I'm reading that they are going to announce the others on 9/2. So Bindi is the only early reveal? Or are they going to announce others randomly (not necessarily at a certain time on GMA every day) and just haven't done one today yet?

Katydid I have the same confusion. I thought they were announcing ALL the celebs on 9/2. Not sure what's up now. I'm going to try and find a DWTS Press Release.

According to this release from August 20 (last Thursday): 

The final roster of Pros will be announced with their celebrity dancer partners WEDNESDAY SEPT 2 on  Good Morning America.

So who knows!? :)

So I'm confused... I thought they were announcing a new star every day from now until 9/2, when they would reveal who everyone was paired with. But now I'm reading that they are going to announce the others on 9/2. So Bindi is the only early reveal? Or are they going to announce others randomly (not necessarily at a certain time on GMA every day) and just haven't done one today yet?

Was asking myself the same thing..I thought the plan was to announce a new star every day until 2/9 on GMA

Could it be that they're announcing stars gradually and the pairings on Sept. 2? So it's Bindi today, a few others between now and Sept. 1, and on Sept. 2 we learn who's dancing with whom?

I don't think they know what they're doing. I like Strictly's way of announcing celebs (ALL of them) one by one, having them rehearse and interact with the pros, and then matching them up on live TV. I know DWTS has never used that formula and wouldn't start now but I can't help but wonder if they'd see some successful pairings they might not have thought of on their own. Instead of giving the pros the same type over and over they might find different personalities really click which in turn would translate to better entertainment on the dance floor. They'd still have to factor in age and height but it could produce some popular unlikely pairings.

Right now I feel they're trying to find a balance between generating buzz and trying to get the cast finalized. I think they just need to do the full cast and pro reveal on one day. Half-assing just makes things seem disorganized and frustrates fans who are waiting to know the fate of the pros they like.

• Love 2

Guess we WILL find out the 2nd celeb today!!!!

Official DWTS @DancingABC
Who will be the second star joining the cast of #dwts? Tune in to @SportsNation today to find out!

I think it will be that American Ninja Warrior girl. I could care less about her. I do wish they would get a big name athlete.  An ex-basketball or ex-football player would be nice, or someone from hockey. Wayne Gretzky would be awesome!

Huh, interesting. I'm loving that these names haven't been rumored yet. It's nice to be surprised.

Google tells me Witney and Allison are both 5'3" but don't know if that's accurate.

So far, I'm ambivalent towards both "stars", the only thing that makes me happy is that these two were names I didn't hear one word about in the rumor mill and that gives me hope that they will be someone announced later on who I want to see. 

Just saw that Victor's partner is, allegedly, Karina.

Hmm. I guess because of his age? She's like 5'5", I think. Then add in heels...huh.

Kristyn Burtt is saying troupe is Alan, Sasha, Lindsay, Jenna, and Haley Erbert who is a contemporary dancer from SYTYCD and was on the Move tour with the Houghs. She also is rumored to be dating Derek but I just saw that on Twitter somewhere. Emma and Keo are pros. Henry is out, so don't know who the 3rd male will be, if any.

Val is going off on Twitter about "inside sources" and their validity. Not sure what happened there but I can think of a couple sites he would throw shade at.

Edited by Buggin

Hmm. I guess because of his age? She's like 5'5", I think. Then add in heels...huh.

I'm hearing there's contention over Google's listing of her height. I've always pegged her around 5'4", and now others are placing her 5'2 - 5'3".Translation: who the heck knows!? Either way, with both wearing heels, she'll still be taller than him so it should be interesting.

Edited by Mbeaker

Jockeys are short ... like, really short. Victor Espinoza is listed around the horse racing community as being 5'2. I don't know that any of the current female pros are going to be shorter than he is, especially in heels.

But I think he'll be a lot like Helio in terms of personality. They're both so jovial and seem pretty easygoing. I loved his reaction after he won the Belmont with American Pharoah and they asked him how he felt. :)

I am surprised the PDWTS inside source says VE would be paired with Karina for "other reasons". I thought maybe Karina would be Nick's partner since she danced with Aaron, but Nick seems like a shoe-in for Sharna based on all the joyful tweets. Unless Hugh Jackman signed on. So what if the Jonas brother is actually not a rumor? Could that be the reason they couldn't pair VE with the shortest female Pro? If a Jonas bro wanted to be on, you can be sure he would ask for Witney and get her. They did have a very short Meryl dancing with a very tall Maks and Karina with Jacoby, so height is only one factor.

The news about Sasha makes me sad. I wonder if it means he won't ever be a Pro again because if there was ever a season replete with potential short female celebs, this is it. Of course, the list of rumored troupe members might have a red herring in it too. Whichever one of you suggested the former list could have a few red herrings, congrats on that. I think your intuition is working full throttle.

I've been so sure the short girls will partner with the shorter guys but would they jack with that as well? Ordinarily, I would be thinking If Sasha is not a Pro, then Bindi will be paired with Mark or Derek. If Kacy Catanzaro is in, I'm guessing she's with Derek based only on the fact that she follows him, DerekHoughNews and Amy Purdy and Nastia L are now following her.

Actually it's nice that we can't figure it out, although I'd love to hire a PI. Why on earth am I impatient about this little TV show? Don't answer. :))

In their online article about Victor Espinoza joining the cast, Entertainment Tonight says they're announcing *2* more celeb cast members on their show *this Thursday*.

http://m.etonline.com/tv/170670_another_dancing_with_the_stars_season_21_contestant_revealed/

So if you don't watch ET regularly, check your local listings for the correct time(s) & channel(s) in your area (we get it here on 2 "sister" channels from 7-8PM Eastern--1 channel airs it at 7, the other at 7:30).

ET isn't always an ABC show--which makes it a little unusual they're announcing some of the celeb cast, since the previous reveals have both been on shows airing on ABC or another network in their corporate family (ESPN). But ET does heavily cover the show whenever it's on, so maybe that mitigates some of the weirdness of them announcing 2 of the celeb cast.

Plus ET Co-Anchor Nancy O'Dell was supposed to do the show a few seasons ago--when she was still Co-Anchoring Access Hollywood (the same season singer Jewel & her now ex-husband, rodeo star Ty Murray were also in/supposed to be in the cast)--but Nancy (& Jewel) had to drop out during rehearsals for the 1st show because she got a knee injury that required surgical repair.

Edited by BW Manilowe

So with Sasha out and allegedly Mark not being her partner (LOL that "Mark has an adult!" is now considered breaking news), perhaps Bindi will go to Derek? She seems bouncy and extroverted, IMO it would be a nice change of pace from the two introverts he had. Val could use a change of pace as well, he hasn't had someone with no dance experience for a long time, sexy stuff/showmancing would be out with Bindi as well. Or Artem? He was very considerate with Patti, I'm sure he could adjust as well.

Some more on the rumour front: Apparently Sadie Robertson is now following Alexa Vega. Last season Sadie following Willow was basically confirmation that she would be Mark's partner. Could mean nothing, of course, but since we're throwing everything out there and Alexa's name is floating around and she would be right height-wise for Mark (also she's the other sort of partner he gets: Religious!)...Who knows.

Alexa would definitely be another of Mark's "type" so I can see that. Is there still a male pro unknown? We don't know Tony's fate yet, do we? If Alexa is indeed on and with Mark Bindi isn't with Derek, she may be with a new pro. I guess she could go to Val but I don't see her with Artem or Keo based on age/height.

Can you guys link to these confirmations? I can't find any official notice on Alexa, Carlos, or Paula.

ETA: OK I found E! saying Paula Deen & Chaka Khan confirmed by "sources" & Alexa & Carlos on Hollywood Life again confirmed by "sources".

So there is no official notice that I can find. I'll keep the threads on hide until we get official confirmation.

• Love 1

And Paula Deen has now been confirmed. Can't we PLEASE assign her to Derek? I want to see his head explode just once!

The problem with giving Derek (or Mark or Val) the bad partners is that we'll be stuck with them until almost the end. I really don't want to see Paula Deen in the top five. It sucks for the other male pros, but I'd rather Derek get a "ringer" I'll actually enjoy watching than be stuck with an awful personality because of his fanbase.

• Love 1

So we are still talking rumors here? The confirmed: Carlos and Witney, Alexa and Mark, Victor and Karina, Nick and Sharna.

And rumors are: Paula Deen with Artem, Chaka Khan with Keo, Bindi with Derek? Shay with Val?

I read that Kacy Catanzaro is the wildcard for Ninja Warrior and their finale conflicts with DWTS premier. So that rules her out. I suppose they could try to surprise us all and give Bindi to Val and Shay to Derek but that seems highly unlikely. Most of these people have either Dance or music backgrounds which means, it could be a good dancing season.

Witney being with Carlos explains why Victor is dancing with Karina.

Is that all we know or did I leave out someone? Hard to keep up with this crazy announcing system and drifting rumor from fact.

What a stinking waste if they give Paula to Artem. I enjoyed him with Patti because she was enjoyable to watch, but I want to see him dance with a young fittie. Hell, I'm still waiting for Tristan to get that chance. Maybe it's because I prefer watching these guys that they get cursed with old partners. I'll hold out hope that some unannounced male pro is for Paula and that Artem will get someone decent.

Andy Grammer is another rumored celeb, likely partnered with Peta if he is on according to rumors. I'd rather see him with Emma, unless she has someone top notch.

Edited by Buggin

What a stinking waste if they give Paula to Artem. I enjoyed him with Patti because she was enjoyable to watch, but I want to see him dance with a young fittie. Hell, I'm still waiting for Tristan to get that chance. Maybe it's because I prefer watching these guys that they get cursed with old partners. I'll hold out hope that some unannounced male pro is for Paula and that Artem will get someone decent.

So it's your fault, Buggin! Harrumph!

If Tristan gets the older lady on SCD this year, you know it's a conspiracy - most of the women look promising. Here's hoping...

• Love 1

I totally agree about the stinkin' waste regarding Artem. We haven't gotten to see the amazing work he can do and I was so hoping he would have a contender. I want to see some great dancing and a real competition. Is it certain that Paula Deen is his partner? That's pathetic. I can't imagine they would last long unless they're going to announce some Billy Dees soon. What are they thinking putting pairing a former champion with these partners?

I enjoyed Patti but still I was disappointed.

I hope Paula doesn't ask if Keo can use the backdoor to enter and leave the studio.

The latest rumored celeb (and I use that term extremely loosely) is some 14 year old boy who posts stuff on social media, or I'm sorry, he's a vine "star". His name is Hayes Grier. His first follow on Twitter was Emma, so congratulations Emma, you get to head the DWTS Daycare center this year.

I think DWTS needs to follow American Idol's lead and realize it's time to throw in the towel. I know they've never gotten huge stars, but when you're recruiting 14 year old kids because they have a large social media following, it's time to go.

Oh, god, Hayes Grier's Twitter pretty much confirms it. Great. The kid is barely old enough to be legally using social media. Did they not learn these youngsters don't necessarily bring in viewers/votes?

• Love 1

Poor Emma. Maybe if she weren't so exceedingly patient she'd get contenders.  

And unlike Willow, this kid isn't part of a movie franchise. 

Edited by fpbl83