Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Re: Jenna and Adam.  Speaking as someone who has enjoyed flirting with many openly gay guys in my life (without any demur or lack of enthusiastic participation on their behalf), I think Jenna couldn't get away with pretending there's an actual physical liaison happening, but she can definitely get tons of sexual chemistry out of the situation and I expect her to try because that's who she is.  What the audience buys of it, is anybody's guess.  And, as I've never seen her have any chemistry with anyone because she's too busy trying to suck your brains out via camera lens, she may not be able to pull it off -- but my life experience says it's entirely possible to project/feel sexual chemistry without ever desiring the act that could follow (Lacey Schwimmer and Danny Tidwell's "hip hip chin chin" is a prime example of how that can be done).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't remember that season but wow, that Danny Tidwell guy could really dance. Thanks for the clip.

Season 3.  Love Danny.  

As for rumors about the voting for this dwts season, it all just sounds like a big mess.  

• Love 3

I never ever tire watching the clip of "Hip Hip, Chin Chin" of Danny Tidwell and Lacey S.   Could that have been any better?  Spectacular!  I wonder who did the choreography?

I just looked it up on youtube - Dimitry.

• Love 3
On 4/18/2018 at 8:17 PM, Uke said:

I'm not so sure about a double Adam and Jenna factor.  I expect the judges will fawn over both Adam and Mirai but:

1) I was not impressed with Adam and the little dance game on GMA - he was fumbling, trying to copy what Sasha was doing and looking very awkward. It was clearly not rehearsed but I would have thought he'd be looser and easier in movement.

2) I confess to following Jenna on IG and they are both big on PDA - to the point that their team name apparently is now "we're just friends".  That rarely works once the season starts.  

Still, I'll wait till the first dances, but I'm still not inclined to put them in my top 3 just yet which are Artem/Jamie, Alan/Mirai, and leaning towards Sharna/Josh.  Plus, in the spirit of "everyone gets a trophy" which seems TPTB's theme lately (if that carries on with the new showrunner), I think they are more likely to push either Artem or Sharna for the next trophy awardee.

Oh yeah, I meant the factor of being friendly with both Adam and his pro as being one likely reason for Meryl and Charlie to quickly throw their support behind them rather than Mirai and Alan. I do think there's a good chance of Adam/Jenna being polarizing for viewers (and as noted, he has had some struggles with different movement styles).

Kristyn Burtt tweets

Small #DWTS voting update for Season 26. I asked ABC Publicity to confirm the info Sharna gave fans & if the #AmericanIdol new voting system will be implemented for DWTS. Their response: "We’ll have some info on voting included in our DWTS release going wide later this week."

More info & speculation in this thread

From PeopleKym Johnson and Robert Herjavec Welcome Twins

Kym & Robert's twins were born yesterday, March 23, 2018 at 7:44 & 7:45AM (presumably California Time), respectively. They were expecting boy/girl, or girl/boy (whichever order you wanna put it in) twins. But the information released, at least so far, doesn't indicate the order of birth (girl/boy or boy/girl), the names, or the weights & lengths of the babies (among other things).

But they do share their birthday with the newest baby Prince of Cambridge, youngest child & second son of Britain's Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, & his wife, Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge. So I guess that's something.

Another thing I've been meaning to mention is, I'm not sure why, but Robert (& another lady) is in a tourism-type ad for a nearby city to my hometown... which runs on at least the local station I've seen it on, if not the other TV stations in the area, because that city is in our viewing area. I can't think of any connections between Robert & the city; he just introduces himself using his name, without his connections to Shark Tank or DWTS &, with the lady, starts talking about different things that visitors to that town would enjoy.

I just did some Googling & I didn't come up with the thing that's running on our local TV, but I did come up with a trailer for the source material it originated from. It turns out Robert & the Deluxe Corporation (looks like the same company which prints the checks many people & businesses use) have been doing a web series on "the small business revolution" in smaller cities. the first season, as I said, they filmed in a smaller town near us, and in our viewing area.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dancing-with-the-stars/dancing-with-the-stars-athlete-68496.aspx

show dances

CHA-CHA-CHA

-Adam Rippon and Jenna Johnson: "Sissy That Walk" by RuPaul
-Josh Norman and Sharna Burgess: "Finesse" by Bruno Mars
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Lindsay Arnold: "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)" by Stevie Wonder

FOXTROT

-Jennie Finch Daigle and Keo Motsepe: "All-American Girl" by Carrie Underwood
-Johnny Damon and Emma Slater: "Centerfield" by John Fogerty
-Tonya Harding and Sasha Farber: "When You Believe" by Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey

SALSA

-Mirai Nagasu and Alan Bersten: "No Excuses" by Meghan Trainor
-Arike Ogunbowale and Gleb Savchenko: "Them Girls" by Whitney Myer
-Chris Mazdzer and Witney Carson: "Mr. Put It Down" by Ricky Martin featuring Pitbull

VIENNESE WALTZ

-Jamie Anderson and Artem Chigvintsev: "Feeling Good" by Avicii

I see they r going to play up Adam sexuality which i think is not necessary. His first song to dance to is a Rupaul song. I would think he would be one of the faves but the direction they seem to be going with him doesnt given me that notion.

1 hour ago, vdw84 said:

I see they r going to play up Adam sexuality which i think is not necessary. His first song to dance to is a Rupaul song. I would think he would be one of the faves but the direction they seem to be going with him doesnt given me that notion.

Have you seen Adams other appearances? That’s who Adam IS. Unapologetically himself. He quoted RuPauls Drag Race at the GMA reveal, it would be more unnatural if they forced him to be some antiquated notion of “masculine” and act like he was in love with Jenna.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Have you seen Adams other appearances? That’s who Adam IS. Unapologetically himself. He quoted RuPauls Drag Race at the GMA reveal, it would be more unnatural if they forced him to be some antiquated notion of “masculine” and act like he was in love with Jenna.

Agreed. It’s not that they want to "play up his sexuality". More likely Adam himself is just not interested in toning it down and trying to "act straight" in an attempt to court the ”I’m not homophobic, but…” crowd, and the show runners are well aware of that and allow Adam to be Adam.

Also, since there’s no guarantee he won’t be one of the contestants kicked out week one, why hold back? RuPaul is one of Adam’s idols (they met at the Time100 gala yesterday btw) and being able to perform to a RuPaul song on DWTS is probably a big thing for him. So, if it turns out that the judges and/or the TV audiences aren’t accepting of a guy like him who’s not trying to butch it up or tone it down, at least he’s going out guns blazing. And if he survives the elimination and does well after shaking his hips to ”Sissy That Walk” on national TV… Well, more power to him!

Edited by neem
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Well...a part of dancing is acting a part.  

Edited to add: What’s he going to do when it comes to the samba and the tango? Then he will have to assume a masculine identity. These judges are not ready for gender bending. Len Goodman would have a heart attack. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
25 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Edited to add: What’s he going to do when it comes to the samba and the tango? Then he will have to assume a masculine identity. These judges are not ready for gender bending. Len Goodman would have a heart attack. 

The problem comes when only one part is deemed “acceptable” to act. Guy/girl romantic attraction is not the only emotion dance can portray, it’s just the only one we ever see. 

Jordan and Lindsay never portrayed much sexual attraction and won their whole season. And I watched Baby Ballroom on Netflix and girl/girl couples compete regularly so the idea of dance competitions needing feigned male/female sexual attraction feels like an antiquated myth, that I’m sure Len can handle or get over.

• Love 4

I don't think Adam/Jenna need to do the typical sexual chemistry thing...there are plenty of other types of chemistry out there and we have seen that on this show.  I also wouldn't ask Adam to be someone he's not, nor does he need to be uber masculine.  Even if Len hates it, who cares.  It's only four weeks and Bruno and CA will be all over him.  However I do think there is a fair point that part of ballroom dancing is acting and putting on different characters.  Nobody is saying Adam need to go and pretend to be something he's not, but I also don't want to see four weeks of him essentially playing the same character every time he gets on the dance floor.  Let him act as needed to suit the dance.  He can put a part of himself into that to keep it authentic, but I also suspect the show is just going to give him a handful of latin dances and a contemporary to play to his real life personality.  Also no, he isn't going home week one.  That isn't even a remote possibility, despite middle America, so I don't suscribe to the theory that he's going big since he might go home week one.  The show is going to do everything in its power to make sure he is there at the end and he will be. He's the most buzzed about name on top of a dream contestant for the show.

Though Val needs to get out of his media and quick.  All the tabloid-y type shows are already showing Val at the rehearsals and showing footage of Adam and Val.  Val, if you are taking the season off, ten take it the heck off.  I do not want to see your face.  Let your girlfriend do her job and make her own name for herself on this show instead of sucking up all the air in the room and making it about you.

• Love 3

DWTSGossip posted the press release.  They're going to have to make it very clear at the start of the show that voting DURING the show is only for the same night's elimination.   Many long-timers and especially power voters are in the habit of beginning their voting at the start of the show since phone lines/website gets jammed after the show and they don't want to have to stay up late voting when they have to get up early for work.  Though, at least for phone votes, I'd guess the phonelines won't open till after the show.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Uke said:

DWTSGossip posted the press release.  They're going to have to make it very clear at the start of the show that voting DURING the show is only for the same night's elimination.   Many long-timers and especially power voters are in the habit of beginning their voting at the start of the show since phone lines/website gets jammed after the show and they don't want to have to stay up late voting when they have to get up early for work.  Though, at least for phone votes, I'd guess the phonelines won't open till after the show.

Sorry everyone west of the Mississippi, you don't count (again!)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, spanana said:

I don't think Adam/Jenna need to do the typical sexual chemistry thing...there are plenty of other types of chemistry out there and we have seen that on this show.  I also wouldn't ask Adam to be someone he's not, nor does he need to be uber masculine.  Even if Len hates it, who cares.  It's only four weeks and Bruno and CA will be all over him.  However I do think there is a fair point that part of ballroom dancing is acting and putting on different characters.  Nobody is saying Adam need to go and pretend to be something he's not, but I also don't want to see four weeks of him essentially playing the same character every time he gets on the dance floor.  Let him act as needed to suit the dance.  He can put a part of himself into that to keep it authentic, but I also suspect the show is just going to give him a handful of latin dances and a contemporary to play to his real life personality.  Also no, he isn't going home week one.  That isn't even a remote possibility, despite middle America, so I don't suscribe to the theory that he's going big since he might go home week one.  The show is going to do everything in its power to make sure he is there at the end and he will be. He's the most buzzed about name on top of a dream contestant for the show.

Though Val needs to get out of his media and quick.  All the tabloid-y type shows are already showing Val at the rehearsals and showing footage of Adam and Val.  Val, if you are taking the season off, ten take it the heck off.  I do not want to see your face.  Let your girlfriend do her job and make her own name for herself on this show instead of sucking up all the air in the room and making it about you.

I think for more "serious" dances he needs to look at LVA. He was never super masculine, definitely not like Russian guys. But he always was passionate and emotional. No need to be Alfa-male to make the dance beautiful and relationship within the dance believable.

• Love 1
On 21.4.2018 at 7:03 AM, lavenderblue said:

I do think there's a good chance of Adam/Jenna being polarizing for viewers

Especially now that Adam not only skipped the customary White House visit (all skaters on SOI were absent because of the tour schedule) but took to twitter and made some headlines (again). The pro-Trump crowd on twitter is pissed off at him (again!) and I'm grateful I'm not on FB so I don't see what's going on there.

Meanwhile, looks like Mirai is striving to be apolitical and trying not to alienate the more conservative crowd.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:21 AM, kitcloudkicker said:

On 4/25/2018 at 8:36 AM, Mindthinkr said:

THAT attitude is exactly why the show should have sucked it up and given him a male pro, as the Italian version did with its openly gay celebrity this year.  The Tango as originally conceived was traditionally done by men and men only (the Argentine gauchos invented it and danced it with one another because there were no women around on the pampas; women didn't start dancing it until after it was introduced into the bordellos of Buenos Aires in the 1920s), and it's still the preferred way in Argentina to this day.  The Italian same-sex male couple, incidentally, has proven to be very popular with the viewers and just made the semi-finals last night on the Italian DWTS after doing a Rumba that blew everyone away and got 8s and 9s from most of the judges, even from one that had originally given them nothing but 0s for the first few weeks BECAUSE they were a same-sex pair (last week, this same judge gave them a 10 for their Quickstep!).  The celebrity in question said that he wanted a male pro because he wanted to prove that dance transcends gender and gender stereotypes, and the viewers have whole-heartedly agreed with him.  Adam should be allowed to make the same point by being his authentic self, not some made-up social construct solely in order to keep Len's head from exploding.

• Love 4

Heck, I don't even know that Len would be bothered by the idea. If he's as well-versed in dance and its history as he's shown himself to be, I'd imagine he would know that about the history of the tango, and would be okay with it as a result.

I think ABC's probably more worried about the viewer reaction than anything else, but y'know, if some viewers can't deal with two men dancing together, that's their problem to deal with. I think more people would ultimately tune in than wouldn't in the end, and would be supportive of a m/m duo. I certainly would be among the supportive group :). 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Then society needs to build a bridge and get over itself.  I mean, how could anyone possibly hate dances like these just because the dancers were two men? Quickstep Paso Doble Cha Cha Boogie Salsa Argentine Tango Rumba

Just because two men dance together doesn’t mean that either of them have to fit into the stereotype of being gay. Girls that are friends do it all the time, even in groups. That doesn’t mean they go home and have orgies. They’re just friends. I’ve one it. I’m straight. Have you seen the show Sense8? 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Just because two men dance together doesn’t mean that either of them have to fit into the stereotype of being gay. Girls that are friends do it all the time, even in groups. That doesn’t mean they go home and have orgies. They’re just friends. I’ve one it. I’m straight. Have you seen the show Sense8? 

I've never seen it, since I don't have cable, but I've certainly heard of it.  And I think those dances I posted prove the point.  The pro (who is the guy who always dresses in white) is straight and happily married. But he can choreograph and sell the hell out of a dance.  I told them both this morning on Twitter that as I watched their Rumba, I really believed I was watching two men who were passionately in love with each other.  The dance wasn't 10-worthy from a technical standpoint (the celeb was a little stiff and had no hip action), but damn if the partnership, expression, and feeling weren't all there.  Ditto for their Argentine Tango, which is the one that persuaded the silver-haired judge on the end to change his mind about them and start scoring them honestly as dancers, not as a same-sex couple!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Then society needs to build a bridge and get over itself.  I mean, how could anyone possibly hate dances like these just because the dancers were two men? Quickstep Paso Doble Cha Cha Boogie Salsa Argentine Tango Rumba

I just watched the links...thanks. I have to say that there was some inventive dancing and it did not come across that over the top. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Re-word
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just watched the links...thanks. I have to say that there was some inventive dancing and not came across that was over the top. 

And that's my point.  We could easily have the same kind of dancing on our DWTS if everyone would just stop clutching their pearls at the thought of a same-sex couple.  I really think Adam could kill it with a male pro even more than he can with Jenna.  Let's hope she's at least smart enough to let him be his authentic self.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

A lot of people have said that this show needs to change something up as it can become predictable or boring. This would have been a perfect opportunity to do just that. 

Agreed.

Btw, when Benji Schwimmer was the guest on To The Pointe, he and Kristyn talked about how cool it would be if Adam were partnered with a male pro on DWTS. That was back in March, but Benji spoke as if that was a pretty realistic prospect at that point. I don’t know whether that was mostly wishful thinking, or something that was seriously considered until network execs vetoed it.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Awesome dances. I must say the Italian version looks a lot less cheesy than the American version. They wear clothes and dance instead of rolling around the floor. Giovanni looks pretty agile for an older guy. Can they not find older contestants like that for our version?

• Love 1

Does anyone know if Adam ever did Pairs skating or Ice Dancing?  If he has, he may have preferred a female partner simply out of familiarity.

I just can’t see this short season being very successful.  If you don’t have a favorite going in, there really is no time to get interested in someone.  I don’t understand what TPtB are going for here.  It would have made sense if there was some big event that was coming up (like an Olympics or World Cup or presidential conventions) that ABC was going to cover that would not alllow for a full season.  But just for...?  An experiment?  

I am am rooting for the luge guy.  Just because.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Does anyone know if Adam ever did Pairs skating or Ice Dancing?  If he has, he may have preferred a female partner simply out of familiarity.

Nope. He's only done singles.

ETA: I've seen him try some ice dance lifts with ice dance guys but that's about it.

Edited by neem
  • Love 1
On 4/25/2018 at 9:54 AM, vdw84 said:

I doubt many of the  DWTS audience would know what a Rupaul song.

• Love 1

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-Coming-Up-on-DANCING-WITH-THE-STARS-ATHLETES-on-ABC-Monday-May-7-20180503

For the team dances, the teams are DIVIDED up as follows (in alphabetical order):

Team 1950s Tennis - "... Baby One More Time" by The Baseballs
Chris Mazdzer and Witney Carson
Josh Norman and Sharna Burgess
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Lindsay Arnold
Tonya Harding and Sasha Farber

Team 1970s Football - "Instant Replay" by Dan Hartman
Adam Rippon and Jenna Johnson
Arike Ogunbowale and Gleb Savchenko
Jennie Finch Daigle and Keo Motsepe
Mirai Nagasu and Alan Bersten

I suspect Team Football is going to win. Although I don't understand why Josh is not on Team Football.

1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/Scoop-Coming-Up-on-DANCING-WITH-THE-STARS-ATHLETES-on-ABC-Monday-May-7-20180503

For the team dances, the teams are DIVIDED up as follows (in alphabetical order):

Team 1950s Tennis - "... Baby One More Time" by The Baseballs
Chris Mazdzer and Witney Carson
Josh Norman and Sharna Burgess
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Lindsay Arnold
Tonya Harding and Sasha Farber

Team 1970s Football - "Instant Replay" by Dan Hartman
Adam Rippon and Jenna Johnson
Arike Ogunbowale and Gleb Savchenko
Jennie Finch Daigle and Keo Motsepe
Mirai Nagasu and Alan Bersten

I suspect Team Football is going to win. Although I don't understand why Josh is not on Team Football.

Probably because they know he'll make it through either way and they have to pretend they're being fair.

• Love 2

Press Release for voting info and dances for week 2:  https://www.disneyabcpress.com/abc/shows/dancing-with-the-stars-athletes/episodes/episode-2602/press-releases/

The individual dances:

Each couple will dance to the following songs (in alphabetical order):

Adam Rippon and Jenna Johnson – Quickstep – “Make Way” by Aloe Blacc

Arike Ogunbowale and Gleb Savchenko – Foxtrot – “What About Us” by P!nk

Chris Mazdzer and Witney Carson – Viennese Waltz – “Next To Me” by Imagine Dragons

Jennie Finch Daigle and Keo Motsepe – Cha Cha – “Do It Like This” by Daphne Willis

Josh Norman and Sharna Burgess – Paso Doblé – “The Plaza of Execution” by James Horner

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Lindsay Arnold –Salsa – “La Malanga” by Eddie Palmieri

Mirai Nagasu and Alan Bersten – Foxtrot – “It’s a Small World” by The O’Neill Brothers Group (”We Love Disney”)

Tonya Harding and Sasha Farber – Quickstep – “Redneck Woman” by Gretchen Wilson

Team Dances are already posted in an earlier post so I won't repeat that.

Voting:

The team dance scores will be combined with the athlete’s individual dance scores along with the previous week’s overnight votes for a final tally to determine the eliminations at the end of the night.

• Love 1

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2018/05/09/dancing-with-the-stars-athletes-season-26-week-3-will-have-triple-elimination/

Let me get this straight.  It's a four week season which already means athletes are only going to learn a handful of dances and they still threw contemporary in the mix.  And threw it to Adam (of course!) and Josh.  So presuming there are also freestyles in the final week, they are going to learn like 3-4 ballroom dances overall?

Calling it now.  Perfect score for Adam and contemporary.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, spanana said:

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2018/05/09/dancing-with-the-stars-athletes-season-26-week-3-will-have-triple-elimination/

Let me get this straight.  It's a four week season which already means athletes are only going to learn a handful of dances and they still threw contemporary in the mix.  And threw it to Adam (of course!) and Josh.  So presuming there are also freestyles in the final week, they are going to learn like 3-4 ballroom dances overall?

Eh, contemporary and jazz are equal to ballroom dances on this show now, it’s no use getting surprised by them anymore.

Adam’s song is this one:

so I imagine Jenna will be adapting this piece. Dance connection: Benji Schwimmer did this choreography.

• Love 1

I thought I read something about Travis Wall wanting to choreograph for Adam too.

I don't care that they include contemp and jazz on a regular season.  I just think it's ridiculous in a 4 week season where Adam and Josh will only learn a couple of dances anyway.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, spanana said:

I thought I read something about Travis Wall wanting to choreograph for Adam too.

I don't care that they include contemp and jazz on a regular season.  I just think it's ridiculous in a 4 week season where Adam and Josh will only learn a couple of dances anyway.

Travis did choreograph something for him, for the Stars on Ice tour I think. And then he gave a weird interview where he said he wanted to choreograph Adam’s finale dance - weird because, sure Jan, Jenna totally toiled in the troupe for a billion seasons to then go ahead and give her “big moment” (in a shortened season) to you. 

giphy.gif

I’ve given up the contemp fight, others are welcome to have it! ;) I just can’t ever see it changing at this point. I just wish they’d teach the judges how to actually judge it for real.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, spanana said:

So disappointed that in such a short season they're being this obvious with a pre-determined winner. And I'm sorry but I can't get past the fact it's Val's girlfriend in the season Val is missing. It's reminding me of when Maks went off to do the Bachelor in Ukraine and suddenly we had a troupe featuring Nicole and Teddy Volynets to make him happy when he came back.

• Love 1