Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Agreed! I don't know how many times I saw Facebook friends share the Carlton dance video from last season and I'm certain most of those people don't even watch the show normally. I definitely think the more 80s/90s stars they can get, the more they'd draw in that key demo. Drew Lachey is the whole reason I started watching in the first place because I was a big 98 Degrees fan.

• Love 1

That Carlton video on the official DWTS YouTube channel is now over 6.2 million views. 6 million!  Then the 4th highest rated dance video for DWTS is another Carlton video on another channel that has 2 million views. That tells you right there how the right bit of nostalgia can hit the jackpot.  Even the most popular dances (some well over a couple of years old) will average in views around a million so that number is insane.

I think a lot of those views were due to popular blogs and news media sharing that video in general because of the Carlton. I doubt as many would've seeked it out specifically on Youtube had it not been mass shared on social media and blogs.

Edited by PBGamer89

OK... The 2nd link worked. Then I tried the 1st link again & it worked this time.

I have no idea... I tried link 1 twice before I posted that it didn't work & it didn't work either time. So the original issue was legit, at least in my case.

I appreciate the 2nd link being posted. And it was very cool of the semi-finalists who went to go visit the kids at the hospital.

Modern Family's finale thanks to poor scheduling actually ended up tied with DWTS's finale. As did Scandal's earlier finale.

So the only ABC shows this season to end stronger were Bachelor and How to Get Away with Murder. Pretty sure it helped that they had limited runs and didn't have to compete during the spring, though.

Pretty much none of The Bachelor(ette) couples stay together, in the end. At least not the ones who are together when the show actually ends (i.e. Chris & Whitney). So I'm totally not surprised. Given the show's track record, it was just a question of "When?", not "If...", to me. I didn't read the article yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they'd already broken up, or they were at least starting to head that way, when she stopped showing up to support him during the DWTS live shows, regardless of all the excuses he made in the press about her absence, on her behalf. (shrugs)

• Love 1

Caught a few seconds of Cheryl on some NBC show last night. So glad she has found success after DWTS, but I and the show surely miss her!! I think it's back next week , don't know the name,, but it's on right before the 10:00 news( central standard time zone).

(edited)

According to a story posted to the E! Entertainment Television channel's website, Tony says he'd like to Judge next season, *if* they ask him to. But he also says he's looking forward to seeing which celeb they'll pair him with next season, & is apparently presuming he'll still be dancing (as opposed to Judging).

http://m.eonline.com/news/664572/is-dancing-with-the-stars-getting-a-new-judge-next-season?cmpid=sn-000000-twitterfeed-365-top_stories&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitterfeed_celebrities_top_stories

Edited by BW Manilowe

DWTS pros Karina, Anna, Sasha, Witney and Allison are going to be on Celebrity Family Feud, competing against the Bachelor/Bachelorette team of Kaitlyn, Sean and Catherine and Jason and Molly. The series starts June 21. There are 12 feuds (24 teams) scheduled.

I don't think any of them had ever watched Family Feud. Witney was caught off guard by the raunchy question.

I'm surprised they had Anna and Karina on the team. Anna hasn't been on DWtS in a long time.

Their episode of Celebrity Family Feud taped while several of the current pros were in New York for Sway. My guess is that had something to do with Anna and Karina's participation. And funny enough, I thought they were the only two that gave good answers.

Emmy nominations were out this morning and the show got the requisite Best Competitive Reality Show, Best Reality Show Host (and as usual Tom gets my vote for all the awards), Best Choreography and Best Hair/Makeup nominations. For the choreography, Witney was the one who really pulled the nomination, with two of her pieces with Alfonso nominated. Derek and Julianne were nominated along with Tassandra Chavez for the Elastic Heart number but as usual most of the nominations went to So You Think You Can Dance.

Emmy nominations were out this morning and the show got the requisite Best Competitive Reality Show, Best Reality Show Host (and as usual Tom gets my vote for all the awards), Best Choreography and Best Hair/Makeup nominations. For the choreography, Witney was the one who really pulled the nomination, with two of her pieces with Alfonso nominated. Derek and Julianne were nominated along with Tassandra Chavez for the Elastic Heart number but as usual most of the nominations went to So You Think You Can Dance.

Looks like Witney got in with 3 dances: 369 / It's Not Unusual / Sing With A Swing-Apache (Nice job, Witney!) 

Interesting that the makeup team got a nod, but for the (unmemorable) season 19 switchup week episode, and not for any of the crazy Mark getups. How does that work?

So Witney got nominated for the Jive, Freestyle and Jazz. So deserved. What a force that girl is. I'm kind of shocked to see so much hate being flung at her by Mark fans on Twitter.  Granted I barely paid attention to him the season Witney got nominated for but i keep reading that Mark tried SO hard to score a nomination and how robbed he is. Am I missing something? Really I think the only dance I can remember that well from him was the freestyle whereas I can remember so clearly how amazing everything Witney did with Alfonso especially the trio Paso which wasnt included in her nom. Was Mark expected to get nominated?  

Hmmm...I just scrolled back through 4 hours of Witney's mentions on twitter and I didn't see hate being flung at her by anyone. I saw 1 tweet telling Witney that Sharna should have been nominated (beats me why someone would think Witney should know that) and 1 tweet scolding Peta and Sharna for something one or both had tweeted.  Mark's fans are upset, but looking though his mentions I don't see any other pros being targeted.  Maybe it was just one tweeter and Witney blocked the person?  While I'm sure Mark (and all the other pros) had hoped to be nominated, he hasn't tweeted anything about it yet (he has a show tonight). I'm sure when he does, he'll extend congratulations as usual.

(edited)

I guess I should have been more clear that people on my timeline that I follow didnt actually tweet Witney directly but were more like venting about how unfair this, how Mark was more creative, etc (a couple seemed more annoyed and threw out the usual stuff about Alfonso having professional training .But in general I was reading through Twitter this afternoon (not long after the nods came out) and earlier this evening, now that you mention it there were one or two Mark fans who who seemed to be especially um bitter I guess is the best word. I'm pretty sure the Sharna thing was she tweeted "maybe next year", and of course a lot of people responded to that. I guess she thought she had a shot? I mean, I figured if anything she would be nominated NEXT year for her work with Noah.

Eta: Witney tweeted not long ago "haters gonna hate" so maybe she did see some nasty stuff and blocked them.

Edited by howmanywords

Oh, now I understand what you meant.  Unless the tweet has "@WitneyCarson" or "Witney Carson", I wouldn't see it.  On Mark's mentions, there have been a few tweeters in near-meltdown mode, but their anger seems toward @TheEmmys and whoever is doing the nominating.  Unfortunately, Sharna's work with Noah would have been for this year's Emmys. Next year's Emmys will be S21 and most of S22.  I saw Sharna's tweet "maybe next year" but I can't see how that would be misconstrued as a shot at Witney.  She's just disappointed for herself (and I'm disappointed for her).

I'm disappointed that Mark didn't get a nom, I thought his work with both Sadie and Willow was stellar. But it was always a long-shot. Same for Sharna, unfortunately. The SYTYCD crowd always has the major advantage of presenting the choreography with very good dancers who know what they are doing. When you have limited partners like Sadie, Willow and Noah...the choreography will not look as good, it won't be seen as clearly. I know Derek got a nom with Amy, but he probably has more clout and more of a lobby behind him with the Emmys.

Congrats to all the nominees! (-:

I think some people were upset with Witney's nomination because there are rumors that she had a ton of help. And a chunk of that help came From Mark, Sharna and Mandy Moore. Non of the 3 had their own nomination.

All of Witney's dances were great though. They deserve some regonition.

(edited)
The SYTYCD crowd always has the major advantage of presenting the choreography with very good dancers who know what they are doing. When you have limited partners like Sadie, Willow and Noah...the choreography will not look as good, it won't be seen as clearly.

I was actually having this very discussion with a friend of mine yesterday, after the nominations came out. I had also read a few comments by some very upset that Mark was not nominated and I started thinking about the fact that the category is often so dominated by SYTYCD choreographers and I told my friend that I wonder if the DWTS Pros sort of have an unfair uphill battle because their dances are ultimately done with inexperienced, untrained dancers.

Yes there are always the few ringers but it is nothing like SYTYCD which is a show of experienced dancers competing, even if some are self-taught. But the fact is all these contestants have been dancing for years and even if a particular style may not be their trained style, they are better able to fake it than say some celebrity on DWTS who had some Jazz classes when they were in their teens. 

And I was saying to her that fair or not, these voters are voting based off these performances. So imagine a voter looking at a dance Mark did with Sadie for example, versus something Travis Wall choreographed for a bunch of trained contemporary/jazz dancers and it's kind of understandable to see why they'd gravitate towards the latter piece. Because again, as liked as Sadie was, I always had the unpopular opinion that she was not as good as some people seemed to think she was. 

Her musicality was not that great, she was often off in her timing and she and Mark admitted this after the season when he said he had to make up little songs during the performance for her to know when exactly to do each move and step because she wasn't really hearing the music very well and her timing was always slightly off. And other times she looked gawky and awkward in her movements.

Obviously not Mark's fault of course but again, I can see how a voter would gravitate to the other choreographers. I mean look at what Derek won for - two dances with Shawn who was pretty damn amazing and a Results Show performance that was danced with him and professionally trained contemporary dancer Jaime Goodwin. And his and Julianne's nomination this year is for a Results Show piece. 

Another issue I feel could be a problem with Mark and I hesitate to say this as I'm not trying to cause a whole debate or seem like I'm judging his talents, but I think Mark's choreography sometimes gets bogged down under all the production and costumes. Again, going back to the season with Sadie and the infamous Halloween Paso Doble. I always disagreed with Len that there wasn't any Paso Doble content in the dance but that said, the production and all the drama of the dance one, overwhelmed Sadie in my opinion, to where her technique really suffered and two, it overwhelmed the choreography.

Because you remember the amazing makeup, zombies, smoke, etc. but how much did one really remember about the actual dance and choreography? There was so much going on in that performance. And I remember when Shirley, his mom, ranted on the Afterbuzz show about the scores that week, she spent half her rant talking about all the hours they spent in hair/makeup and the costumes, etc. And I remembered thinking but what does that have to do with the actual dance and the dancing? That's the hair and makeup department doing an excellent job which incidentally is why they always get nominated for an Emmy. But is that really the choreography being amazing?

Again, I like Mark. I like that he is a bit nutty and will go for some out the box, strange stuff and I definitely believe he is a very talented choreographer but I can maybe understand why he seems to get ignored by Emmy voters.

Edited by truthaboutluv

I think Sadie's samba, contemporary and foxtrot were amazing...as pieces of choreography, not as production numbers. But again...I don't want to criticize Sadie, she did the best she could to perform it, still: The foxtrot suffered from Sadie making that mistake at the end, her contemporary will always be judged against the SYTYCD people and then her dancing can't keep up even though it was good in the DWTS context. The samba was her strongest performance, but even there you see the choreography much more clearly when you watch Mark, how the duck movements and distortions are integrated with traditional samba elements.

Willow was a stronger dancer, but also someone who understandably can't keep up with the SYTYCD crowd. And again, I think AT, contemporary and foxtrot in particular stand up as pieces of choreography, not only as production numbers. The AT apart from the abstract paint theme was more traditional, but both contemporary and foxtrot told stories through movement and performance. Yes, they were integrated with production, but IMO they didn't overwhelm.

And those are for me the candidates for Emmy submissions. I doubt he handed in the paso with Sadie, no matter how much he might like concept or how he defended it in public, he IMO also clearly adjusted what Sadie could and couldn't handle after that one...so he totally saw that she was overwhelmed by it. But again, it's not only Mark. Most pros have that disadvantage. My unpopular opinion is that Val did better choreography with Janel than with Rumer, even though Rumer was the better dancer. But he had the same problem: Great choreo looked weaker because Janel had limitations as a dancer. Same with Bethany and Derek. That paso was killer. Her execution IMO wasn't, though she gave it her all. Same with the contemporary. Already talked about Sharna. If you don't have a ringer, it won't look as good.  The format as a whole puts all the pros at a disadvantage compared to the SYTYCD crowd.

I think some people were upset with Witney's nomination because there are rumors that she had a ton of help. And a chunk of that help came From Mark, Sharna and Mandy Moore. Non of the 3 had their own nomination.

All of Witney's dances were great though. They deserve some regonition.

Stuff like this bothers me. Where did these rumors come from? Without proof, it's slander, and no pro should have their character assassinated.  

Just because she's only 21 doesn't mean she shouldn't be taken seriously as a chorographer.  

Those rumors have been around for a while. Witney is very go to the producers and ask for help when stressed so I'm sure that is where it's coming from.

Stuff like this bothers me. Where did these rumors come from? Without proof, it's slander, and no pro should have their character assassinated.

Just because she's only 21 doesn't mean she shouldn't be taken seriously as a chorographer.