Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S03.E07: Sometimes

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

I feel as if Rebecca threw in the towel right then and there on her singing career because of Jack. She told her friend Nicole that she wanted to be wherever Jack was. Seeing him cry in the car, as if some sort of dam was breaking, perhaps she knew he needed to head back home - that whatever he'd done while she was in her meeting had been a dark cloud over him and had sort of broken him and now, he was done. Time to go home. And if Jack was gonna go home, well, then so was she. That's why I think she didn't decide to stay in LA and try to make a go of a singing career. For reasons even Rebecca couldn't identify, she simply wanted to be with Jack, and if that meant Pittsburgh, then that's where she was going to go. I'm the least religious human on earth - a tried and true atheist - but I thought of the story of Ruth: 

"In the book of Ruth, there's a beautiful story of self-sacrifice, love and loyalty. After Ruth's husband dies, her mother-in-law urges Ruth and her sister-in-law to go back to their own mother's house. There, they be fortunate enough to find another husband. However, Ruth decides to stay with Naomi. 

But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.  Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried...""  -- source: http://www.everydaychristian.com

I know it's kind of a stretch, but that's what I thought of - that Rebecca was willing to follow Jack and make a life with him, even though it meant not pursuing anything in LA.

But she didn’t throw in the towel..? Years later as I said in another post in the season one football episode, she was still hoping she would make a career out of singing and more than just bar singing clubs. She told jack she was hesitant about starting a family because she “isn’t where (she) wants to be” with signing. This implies she was still thinking she would be a famous singer or something.

But this episode definitely seems to not remember that little bit of info and I say this because Rebecca knew going back to Pittsburgh even with the record people being all “give us a call if or when you have show and maybe we can get someone out there” knowing full well that there was a zero likely choice of that happening. So she knew what going back home meant. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

38 minutes ago, drafan said:

Anyone know what's wrong with Jack's crooked mouth? Always looks like someone just punched him.

Milo Ventimiglia was born with nerve damage which leaves the left side of his mouth immobile.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Given how screwed up their kids ended up being, both Jack and Rebecca should have spent less time worrying about their careers and more time raising their damn kids.  Kate is still a complete mess, and I think it could have been totally avoided if Jack didn't act as her enabler, and if Rebecca had taken her daughter to therapy.  As I have said multiple times, there is something going on with Kate that is causing her to overeat.  That gets into the whole nature vs nurture argument.  The stress she is under and how she handles it is definitely part of it.  Plus she has very low self-esteem which just makes matters worse.  Putting her on a diet won't solve it.  She will eventually go back to overeating or she will take up some other unhealthy activity.  It should have been dealt with when she was a child.  Of course given how long it is gone on, she has now developed an addiction to overeating.  If Jack and Rebecca had dealt with the situation early on, Kate's addiction to overeating probably never takes place.

And now she is married to Toby.  I don't think those two belong together.  I don't think they are good for each other.  And now they I are going to bring a baby into that mess of a relationship.

I am still annoyed that Rebecca didn't tell Jack that she had an intimate relationship in the past with the piano player.  I think that is kind of an important thing to tell her spouse given the fact that she was going to go on tour with her old boy toy.  Also, it was no surprise that her old boy toy made a move on her.

I don't understand why Kevin feels the need to investigate his father's past in Vietnam?  It seems to me he has more than enough on his plate without adding that into the mix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/13/2018 at 10:00 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Sometimes, I enjoy having an episode without Kate and Randall. And sometimes, it turns out to be a stronger episode without them. It turns out if Kevin was the only kid Pearson, I'd be pretty damn happy with this show being about Jack, Rebecca, and their son Kevin, with his girlfriend Zoe and cousin Beth. 

I think this was the first Jack-centered episode I've liked in a long time. I'm usually extremely critical of Jack, but this was an excellent episode for his character. 

Couldn't have said it better.  The show centered on real, believable emotions as opposed to the Randall and Kate story lines which just seem forced.  Nothing over the top here.  Just a good hour of seeing what these characters have lived through.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Given how screwed up their kids ended up being, both Jack and Rebecca should have spent less time worrying about their careers and more time raising their damn kids.  Kate is still a complete mess, and I think it could have been totally avoided if Jack didn't act as her enabler, and if Rebecca had taken her daughter to therapy.  As I have said multiple times, there is something going on with Kate that is causing her to overeat.  That gets into the whole nature vs nurture argument.  The stress she is under and how she handles it is definitely part of it.  Plus she has very low self-esteem which just makes matters worse.  Putting her on a diet won't solve it.  She will eventually go back to overeating or she will take up some other unhealthy activity.  It should have been dealt with when she was a child.  Of course given how long it is gone on, she has now developed an addiction to overeating.  If Jack and Rebecca had dealt with the situation early on, Kate's addiction to overeating probably never takes place.

And now she is married to Toby.  I don't think those two belong together.  I don't think they are good for each other.  And now they I are going to bring a baby into that mess of a relationship.

I am still annoyed that Rebecca didn't tell Jack that she had an intimate relationship in the past with the piano player.  I think that is kind of an important thing to tell her spouse given the fact that she was going to go on tour with her old boy toy.  Also, it was no surprise that her old boy toy made a move on her.

I don't understand why Kevin feels the need to investigate his father's past in Vietnam?  It seems to me he has more than enough on his plate without adding that into the mix.

I think Kevin is looking into Jacks past as a way to keep himself sober.  actors can have a lot of downtime between roles,  and Kevin needs to fill those days with something.   Once he gets another role, he will probably take a step back from his research.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Kevin really has slowly become the best character. Probably because as I said in the first couple episodes this season, he has actually dealt with his problems and moved on. I don’t constantly feel like we’re seeing the same story with him. Unlike his siblings who seem to be recreating their same stories, Kate wants a baby and still idolizes Jack and still has issues with food and still is woe is me about it all, Randall is still trying to find his place and jumping into things to find it, etc. 

Kate and Randall feel like retreads is their stories, I’m sick of hearing about it. Where as Kevin I’m actually interested in his story. Is it the best? No. But I prefer him to his siblings. It makes me kind of sad that Sterling will probably get a nomination for award season if they get any this award season. I love sterling but is Randall’s story award worthy this season? 

  • Like 19

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I think Kevin is looking into Jacks past as a way to keep himself sober.  actors can have a lot of downtime between roles,  and Kevin needs to fill those days with something.   Once he gets another role, he will probably take a step back from his research.   

I think it has something to do with his sobriety, and he just acted in a war movie, but mostly he had not been able to even talk about his father until just recently, he had been studiously avoiding it.  Kate sort of hit on it, then there was the family therapy session, and of course, he temporarily lost the necklace Jack gave him during the one night stand he had.  It all adds up to him finally facing the loss honestly and needing to learn whatever he can about Jack the person. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ShadowFacts said:

I think it has something to do with his sobriety, and he just acted in a war movie, but mostly he had not been able to even talk about his father until just recently, he had been studiously avoiding it.  Kate sort of hit on it, then there was the family therapy session, and of course, he temporarily lost the necklace Jack gave him during the one night stand he had.  It all adds up to him finally facing the loss honestly and needing to learn whatever he can about Jack the person. 

Plus his interview with Terry Gross where she was asking about his dad made him realize how little he knew.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Kevin really has slowly become the best character. Probably because as I said in the first couple episodes this season, he has actually dealt with his problems and moved on. I don’t constantly feel like we’re seeing the same story with him. Unlike his siblings who seem to be recreating their same stories, Kate wants a baby and still idolizes Jack and still has issues with food and still is woe is me about it all, Randall is still trying to find his place and jumping into things to find it, etc. 

Kate and Randall feel like retreads is their stories, I’m sick of hearing about it. Where as Kevin I’m actually interested in his story. Is it the best? No. But I prefer him to his siblings. It makes me kind of sad that Sterling will probably get a nomination for award season if they get any this award season. I love sterling but is Randall’s story award worthy this season? 

I completely agree. When the show first started I didn't really like him that much. But he's had good growth and I like the path that he's on.

Yes, Kevin's siblings have been dealing with the same issues over and over. It is annoying, but I think the show does that because that's how it is with some people. They can't seem to get over or work through their issues. Sterling is a wonderful actor but I don't think his character's story this season is award worthy. I'm more interested in Beth and his daughters right now actually. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/14/2018 at 1:16 PM, Captain Asshat said:

Oh, God. I just had a horrible thought. What if Zoe is pregnant...and then Beth will get pregnant...and then the Big Three will have babies at the same time? 

That is a horrible thought, mostly because Kate will go batshit crazy because ALL of the attention won’t be on her. Because, you know, no one else has ever wanted a baby as much as she has, or has ever tried so hard, or has never had such a hard life like she had. 

That would be a nightmare. And my Kate Hate would be up to DEFCON 5. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I think Rebecca didn't try any other labels because that was the only label that had even been willing to meet with her. She said to someone earlier this season, I think it was to her ex-boyfriend's mom, but I'm not 100% sure, that "Joni Mitchell's record label wants to meet with me". In retrospect, I think the label said something noncommittal like "feel free to stop by if you're ever in LA", and Rebecca read too much into it, then felt like a complete idiot when the same people told her she was "Pittsburgh good".

Of course, if she'd had the grit and perseverance it takes to succeed at pretty much anything, she would have stayed in LA for a while, tried to book some gigs and network with other labels, but I can see how the impulse in that moment was to want to go back to safe, familiar, Pittsburgh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, qtpye said:

I was talking about this show with a work colleague who had never heard of Mandy Moore either as a singer or actress. He kept on describing Rebecca and "an ungainly lantern jaw women with linebacker shoulders". He thought Kate had a much prettier face and actually thought Jack could do much better since Rebecca was "flaky and not that great looking".

His description is exactly how I see her. In this episode, I thought the gingham, backless dress she wore to the party to meet her friend was just a horrible choice for someone with such a broad back.  I see the lantern jaw, too, and find it really unattractive to see so much tongue when she talks or sings.  I wonder if part of the wide gap in how she's viewed is whether or not we knew her when she was young. Like the man you work with, I had never heard of her before this show.  None of that makes me dislike her character or her acting though.  I may even like the Jack/Rebecca story better because I  see a man who adores his moderately attractive wife and sees her as beautiful because he loves her so much.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/15/2018 at 10:13 AM, SueB said:

- I think Jack going to LA was 90% about spending time with Rebecca and 10% apologizing to the family.  He wouldn't have made that trip if it hadn't been her idea IMO.  I think he took the opportunity because it was there.  I don't see him as someone who went there to leech grief support from the family.  His personal code of honor made him want to apologize to the family for a man under his command who died.  It's not uncommon for the leader of a team to visit the family and say kind words.  Also to be there to answer "what happened" questions the family might have.  It helps with their closure.  I think Jack went there to help the family find closure and was surprised when the Dad offered him support.  I can headcanon that the Dad was prior service and saw what a good man Jack was for just coming out and trying to offer what comfort he could.  It makes the Dad a great man that he could see the goodness in Jack and that he needed support at that moment.  I had no problem with the scene at all.  I think it's realistic Jack went, realistic the Dad provided comfort back.

 

This! When Squirrel's father put his arm around Jack, giving him something he probably never had, I cried. I rarely cry watching this show. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

This! When Squirrel's father put his arm around Jack, giving him something he probably never had, I cried. I rarely cry watching this show. 

I didn't cry*, but yes it was nice.  I agree with those who think Jack went to visit Squirrel's parents out of an obligation he believed he had because he was his Staff Sergeant and wanted to give them some closure, as well as let them know how much Squirrel meant to him and how his death affected him.

* Show doesn't make me cry too often, so it's just me.  I'm immune to the hankie warnings anyway!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, I’m new to this forum. How do I post a comment or question of my own? This appears to be the “reply” field, but I don’t see a way to start a new comment. Or is this it? Help?

Edited by jhunter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, jhunter said:

Hi, I’m new to this forum. How do I post a comment or question of my own? This appears to be the “reply” field, but I don’t see a way to start a new comment. Or is this it? Help?

If you want to reply or comment in this section, it's just "reply" If you want to quote someone you just hit the  " symbol on the bottom. If you want a separate topic altogether, there is a "start new topic" on top.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you!?

20 minutes ago, debraran said:

If you want to reply or comment in this section, it's just "reply" If you want to quote someone you just hit the  " symbol on the bottom. If you want a separate topic altogether, there is a "start new topic" on top.

Share this post


Link to post

So, I have a question, which is probably a little silly, but it’s bugging me. In the motel scene just before Jack and Rebecca sleep together for the first time, as they kiss, one of them says something like “three dates, three amazing kisses.” This confused me because their first kiss was in the car after the carnival date, so their second kiss would have been the one in the motel (after their “date” when they slow-danced), right?? Except for the montage after, which shows them kissing in all the different motel rooms, I missed the third date and the third kiss?! Can anyone explain??

Share this post


Link to post

46 minutes ago, jhunter said:

So, I have a question, which is probably a little silly, but it’s bugging me. In the motel scene just before Jack and Rebecca sleep together for the first time, as they kiss, one of them says something like “three dates, three amazing kisses.” This confused me because their first kiss was in the car after the carnival date, so their second kiss would have been the one in the motel (after their “date” when they slow-danced), right?? Except for the montage after, which shows them kissing in all the different motel rooms, I missed the third date and the third kiss?! Can anyone explain??

They probably counted the time when Rebecca showed up unannounced at Jack's mother's friend's house as a date. That's when Rebecca decided that Jack was the one for her because he did the dishes, and she asked him if he wants to "go for a drive" to LA with her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

They probably counted the time when Rebecca showed up unannounced at Jack's mother's friend's house as a date. That's when Rebecca decided that Jack was the one for her because he did the dishes, and she asked him if he wants to "go for a drive" to LA with her.

Yeah, I did think about that scene, but they didn’t kiss while washing dishes?

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, jhunter said:

Yeah, I did think about that scene, but they didn’t kiss while washing dishes?

They probably kissed later. I don't think they made the decision to go on a cross-country road trip together and then parted without kissing. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

They probably counted the time when Rebecca showed up unannounced at Jack's mother's friend's house as a date. That's when Rebecca decided that Jack was the one for her because he did the dishes, and she asked him if he wants to "go for a drive" to LA with her.

 

That makes a lot of sense. I’m such a literal person a lot of the time, but, as you said, they probably kissed that night when she went to see him. The final scene as the camera zoomed out and they just locked eyes was probably followed by a kiss :-) So sweet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Am I the only one wondering how this past Jack becomes the fun, gregarious, romantic gesture Jack that we see once they have kids??  Maybe it's having kids that changes him...but I can't even see this Jack going to watch the Steelers game in a bar and have fun, like they did before kids.  It's like two different people, and I cannot tell what Rebecca sees in him.
I think Squirrel's parents would like to hear stories about their boy that they never knew, but I don't think they would like having to comfort this guy who showed up at their door.  They lost a son.  Take your guilt elsewhere.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, ErinV said:

Am I the only one wondering how this past Jack becomes the fun, gregarious, romantic gesture Jack that we see once they have kids??  Maybe it's having kids that changes him...but I can't even see this Jack going to watch the Steelers game in a bar and have fun, like they did before kids.  It's like two different people, and I cannot tell what Rebecca sees in him.

The kids were born eight years after Jack and Rebecca met. When they met, he'd just come back from Vietnam, and the trauma was still fresh. He couldn't find work and had difficulties adjusting back to civilian life, so he resorted to robbing bars, plus he was worried about his mother. I think the gregariousness and romantic gestures had always been in his nature, they were just temporarily dampened by the war.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

The kids were born eight years after Jack and Rebecca met. When they met, he'd just come back from Vietnam, and the trauma was still fresh. He couldn't find work and had difficulties adjusting back to civilian life, so he resorted to robbing bars, plus he was worried about his mother. I think the gregariousness and romantic gestures had always been in his nature, they were just temporarily dampened by the war.

Yes, a bit of evidence of that was him talking about dancing with his mother every Christmas.  Didn't he also tell Rebecca that he wanted his home life to be everything his own wasn't?  He followed through with that in actions, he really meant it. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the subject...but wouldn't a soldier experiencing Nicky's obvious mental health issues be eligible for a medical discharge? Section 8, I believe it's called? Because someone like Nicky is not only a danger to himself but his fellow soldiers who need to depend on him...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the subject...but wouldn't a soldier experiencing Nicky's obvious mental health issues be eligible for a medical discharge? Section 8, I believe it's called? Because someone like Nicky is not only a danger to himself but his fellow soldiers who need to depend on him...

You're probably right, but I think access to and proper diagnosis of mental conditions during the 60s/70s was rare, especially in an active war zone. Many times behaviour like Nicky's was equated to mundane emotions

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, jhunter said:

Yeah, I did think about that scene, but they didn’t kiss while washing dishes?

It's a one hour show.  We don't get to see everything.  That line was a way for the writers to tell us that they didn't just fall into bed without kissing a few times and having a few dates.  There is no time to show everything and sometimes they just tell us as a shortcut to showing us.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rogueprinzess said:

You're probably right, but I think access to and proper diagnosis of mental conditions during the 60s/70s was rare, especially in an active war zone. Many times behaviour like Nicky's was equated to mundane emotions

Back in the day, there was a lot of skepticism about mental illness in the military, especially with soldiers who were known to use drugs as Nick had.  Unless he was completely out of touch with reality, his co would not be likely to send him off for a psychiatric evaluation, which would probably require sending him to Japan or another big base..  Instead, guys who were losing it were often put into situations like Nick, digging latrines or doing other menial tasks in hopes they would shape up.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/14/2018 at 11:08 PM, DebbieM4 said:

 

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't think Mandy Moore is otherworldly beautiful or even beautiful at all.  She's attractive, but not more so than many other women.  JMO obviously, but I don't think her looks are being ignored or that they're pretending anything.   

I agree with you. 

@Ms Blue Jay, I do think Mandy Moore is pretty, in a “god given” way (it’s not styling or wealth) she would be just as pretty if she wasn’t famous, she’s also very fresh looking (clean living will do that) but she’s looks to me as any “regular” pretty woman you’d see out and about living life. She’s tall and slim and wears clothing well, but I wouldn’t describe her as “other worldly” at all. Her looks are very wholesome and relatable to me. 

On 11/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, jhunter said:

Hi, I’m new to this forum. How do I post a comment or question of my own? This appears to be the “reply” field, but I don’t see a way to start a new comment. Or is this it? Help?

You did start a new comment. If you want to respond to someone else’s comment just hit the “ “ at the bottom of their comment. 

 

And welcome! Nice to have you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

You did start a new comment. If you want to respond to someone else’s comment just hit the “ “ at the bottom of their comment. 

 

And welcome! Nice to have you. 

Welcome, jhunter!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

You did start a new comment. If you want to respond to someone else’s comment just hit the “ “ at the bottom of their comment.

I would add that you can highlight just a sentence if you wish, and not repost the entire comment.  A sign pops up (Quote this) and your highlighted section shows up in the new post. Some posts can be long, which is fine, but you may not want to quote the entire post.  Welcome!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/17/2018 at 7:20 AM, icemiser69 said:

I am still annoyed that Rebecca didn't tell Jack that she had an intimate relationship in the past with the piano player.  I think that is kind of an important thing to tell her spouse given the fact that she was going to go on tour with her old boy toy.  Also, it was no surprise that her old boy toy made a move on her.

Really? Once you've slept with someone, the possibility of sleeping with them again -- despite getting married in between -- is always there? I don't think so. (My spouse has met men I had relationships with, he did not know I'd had relationships with them, and not one of them hit on me.) Even if I thought an old flame might hit on me, I'd handle it, with no need to involve my husband, which is exactly what Rebecca did, and then was annoyed when Jack inserted himself into the issue. It was none of his business.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:52 PM, JudyObscure said:

I may even like the Jack/Rebecca story better because I  see a man who adores his moderately attractive wife and sees her as beautiful because he loves her so much.

She's Pittsburgh pretty? ;)

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, smartymarty said:

Really? Once you've slept with someone, the possibility of sleeping with them again -- despite getting married in between -- is always there? I don't think so. (My spouse has met men I had relationships with, he did not know I'd had relationships with them, and not one of them hit on me.) Even if I thought an old flame might hit on me, I'd handle it, with no need to involve my husband, which is exactly what Rebecca did, and then was annoyed when Jack inserted himself into the issue. It was none of his business.

She's Pittsburgh pretty? ;)

I think given the circumstances, Rebecca should have kept her mouth shut about her previous involvement with boy toy.  If I remember correctly, that's what she did, but Jack found out about it after Rebecca joined the band again and they had that little dust up (the two guys) and then Rebecca told Jack.  So, probably Jack thought his wife was being ingenuous about her wanting to go back singing with the band.  I may be mistaken on who knew what when though.  

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I think given the circumstances, Rebecca should have kept her mouth shut about her previous involvement with boy toy.  If I remember correctly, that's what she did, but Jack found out about it after Rebecca joined the band again and they had that little dust up (the two guys) and then Rebecca told Jack.  So, probably Jack thought his wife was being ingenuous about her wanting to go back singing with the band.  I may be mistaken on who knew what when though.  

The band guy told Jack after one of their gigs, because he told jack something about how he wa surprised Rebecca had kids now

as when they were together, she never said anything. Rebecca then told jack they dated briefly and it wasn’t serious. So yeah Rebecca never mentioned it because it wasn’t an important impactful  relationship, which I kind of get. 

I just think jack was mad about the singing thing later on because he didn’t understand as it seems like during the 17 years when they were raising the kids, Rebecca hadn’t made it a thing and then it felt like all of a sudden it was, and it waa

taking her away from the family,and then you add in an old relationship. Not to mention this whole thing was happening on the cusp of their friends marriage ending. I feel like jack may have been feeling like what if Rebecca isn’t feeling fulfilled in this marriage and all those insecurities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought in the episode where Beth and Randall decided to foster she cited Zoe as a reason why she felt strongly about doing that. IE Zoe didn't just move in with her when she was 8. Zoe was removed and Beth's family were both biological family and a foster placement. For that to happen, very bad things happened to Zoe. So nothing in this episode was especially surprising to me about Zoe. Maybe I knew too much from that episode and thus read too much into the Beth-warns-Kevin scene when they started dating, but it seemed pretty telegraphed that while Beth wasn't sharing info that wasn't hers to share, she really wasn't just talking about Zoe going through guys like tissues. There was heavy subtext (not just TV show subtext, like if this were a real conversation subtext) that Beth was trying to get the point to Kevin that there was some serious trauma in the past without explicitly telling him what. And Kevin either completely failed to understand or WAY underestimated what Beth was getting at. 

During the spider spiel I found it very hard to believe the CO was willing to sit through the speechifying and didn't tell Jack to get to the effing point a helluva lot faster.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I thought in the episode where Beth and Randall decided to foster she cited Zoe as a reason why she felt strongly about doing that. IE Zoe didn't just move in with her when she was 8. Zoe was removed and Beth's family were both biological family and a foster placement. For that to happen, very bad things happened to Zoe. So nothing in this episode was especially surprising to me about Zoe. Maybe I knew too much from that episode and thus read too much into the Beth-warns-Kevin scene when they started dating, but it seemed pretty telegraphed that while Beth wasn't sharing info that wasn't hers to share, she really wasn't just talking about Zoe going through guys like tissues. There was heavy subtext (not just TV show subtext, like if this were a real conversation subtext) that Beth was trying to get the point to Kevin that there was some serious trauma in the past without explicitly telling him what. And Kevin either completely failed to understand or WAY underestimated what Beth was getting at. 

During the spider spiel I found it very hard to believe the CO was willing to sit through the speechifying and didn't tell Jack to get to the effing point a helluva lot faster.

Nothing in this episode was surprising to me about Zoe either. When it was stated that Zoe came to live with Beth and her family, and it wasn’t clearly stated both of her parents were deceased, I figured there were drugs or abuse in Zoe’s home and that’s why she was living with Beth’s family (either via being removed or she went sent there because the parents were threatened with a call to child protective services if they didn’t get her somewhere safe). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, marshmallows said:

Wow sometimes I feel like we as people watch the same show, but are somehow watching different shows lol.

Interpretation is so amazing!

I didn't think Jack went on the trip to win the girl. I felt like he went to support the girl and while he was there he would take care of some business on his own that he would have never have done if it wasn't for Rebecca & this road trip.

I felt like Jack genuinely felt like it was his fault that, that kid died in the war. And being the noble man Jack is wanted to apologize to his family.  The family didn't have to tell him it wasn't his fault, but that is what most decent humans would do. I just didn't take it as Jack trying to get forgiveness or to feel better. I took it as him trying to do what he thought was right thing to do. 

I also don't think Jack was that horrible to Rebecca with her singing career 20 years into their marriage. Yes, it was a big dream of hers when she was in her twenties. The dream didn't pan out. She ended up living a different dream.  They were together for a long time before they had children. It's not like kids were sprung on her.  And I'm sure she could have sang more throughout their marriage if she wanted to, but it kind of seemed like a part of her life she left behind while she and Jack raised their family.  So when the kids were older she tried to sing again (nothing wrong with that.) I think she should pursue it again if it makes her happy. But, Jack was busting his ass at a job that did provide for the family and Rebecca was acting like what she was doing was just so much more important lol.  I was so confused as to why she was acting like that.  And the things he said about her singing "career" were just heated things people say in an argument. Rebecca said some pretty awful things as well. Overall, from what we have been shown of their relationship Jack treated her like gold while Rebecca treated him like silver (good but not as good as he treated her).  I feel like Jack is getting a lot of unnecessary hate over this singing stuff lol.

a here here to the above. Agree with all of it. I enjoyed the episode and I still love this show.

I was moved by the scene with Jack and the parents--it was very kind of the father to stand up and sit next to him--it just moved me. And I agree, I thought Jack was there because he felt that was the responsible thing to do.

On the singing 20 years later--Jack wasn't perfect in that exchange, but real people never are. I didn't see him as making everything about him. Her singing meant a lot to her; at that point in their lives, he didn't get it. But a lot of couples have times where their interests are not identical and some friction results from one viewing the hobby/pursuit as a "nice hobby" while the other sees it differently. Doesn't make Jack a controlling jerk.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 14/11/2018 at 1:35 AM, MBayGal said:

@snapdragon said "Apparently I'm emotionally dead inside because I didn't feel anything when Rebecca singing made Jack cry.  It was just all too cliche.  Also, I can't get into their road trip storyline.  If someone told me that they were going on a cross country road trip with a guy they barely knew, I would say, "You make bad life choices."  And yes, I know that lots of shows have done something similar but those are usually teen dramas where you're rooting for the characters to get together.  This show is aimed at adults and is supposed to be a little more grounded.  Also, we know these two get together so glimpses into their dating life are just boring and have no real impact on anything else in the show."

Bad life choices indeed! I can escape my cynicism for the road trip because they need something interesting to show us, but singing in the car with accompanying tears was over the top even for this series. I was cringing and just wanted it to end.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size