Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Dancing Queen

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I am headwanking that the  'Charlie' form we meet her in is not her native form either.  Just one that she picked and liked in this time and place and decided to keep.  So it is conceivable that if she is stuck in the Amaya form long enough and grows and affinity for it and builds relationships with the group using that form, that even if she were to get her powers back she may decide to keep it.  Also comparatively speaking budget-wise it is a cheap power solution (unlike Nate's going steel or Ray shrinking).  If she needs to shapeshift into a day player character or even another regular character then it costs the show nothing.

Charlie stated to Ray that the form he met her in wasn't her real form. She saw it in a promotion and liked the smile. Charlie might not even really be female since they had Ray say you're a cool girl, or guy, or whatever you identify as.

1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

How was Charlie kept in a human jail (and for what crime?) if she can shapeshift, and why was she let go (or did she escape?) 

I think the jail she was in was where Mallus and all the other mythical creatures were in.

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I agree that removing Charlie’s abilities is cruel. I just think it’s messed up that Constantine knew this was another option but insisted on sending Charlie to hell anyway.

John Constantine's experience with magical beings (including/especially demons) is that if you get a chance to take them out, you take them all the way out.  In this case that means sending them to Hell - a place from which they (hopefully) can't escape.  He removed Charlie's abilities as a fall back because the Legends weren't going to let him just send her to Hell and be done with it.

5 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

How was Charlie kept in a human jail (and for what crime?) if she can shapeshift, and why was she let go (or did she escape?) 

As Proteus noted, she wasn't in a human jail.  At the time, though,  she was talking to Ray and she probably figured that saying "Not only am I a magical being, I was imprisoned in a some kind of weird Time dimension outside of this reality" would be a bit much for the nice normal ex-disco bloke to handle. 

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

It also hasn’t escaped my notice that they’re gradually reducing the number of powered people on the team, and even the ones that do have powers (like Nate) don’t use them frequently.  Or even Mick’s blaster or the Atom suit.  I don’t know whether they got a budget cut this year, or whether all the special effects budget is being saved for the magical creatures.

Nick Zano pretty much confirmed on Twitter as he was live-tweeting the episode Monday night that Nate's not using his Steel powers as much because of budget limitations; it's apparently a very expensive special effect.  He also joked that "in about 2 years, we should be able to do it on our iPhones."

On 11/5/2018 at 7:00 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Constantine trapping Charlie with Amaya’s body was a clever way to bring back Maisie but I do hope she gets her powers back eventually. She was clever to shift into each of them to save herself.

12 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

This, I think.  They sort of wrote themselves into a corner by having Amaya be Mari McCabe’s grandmother, so she was always going to have to eventually go back to her timeline, and they couldn’t drag out forever the storyline of her agonizing over destroying her granddaughters’ future by staying in the present. 

I knew Maisie was coming back, but not how.  This was a great way to get the actress back on the show without pulling Amaya out of her timeline.  So much of last season was about Amaya deciding to stay or go, to rehash that would be painful.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:12 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I'm sure he'd be a fine character on his own show.

From the few minutes I could stand to watch, he's really not. His "poor, pitiful me" shchtick gets real old, real fast!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't think she was in a human jail. I think she meant that hell was a jail for her and well, isn't that what hell is?

15 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

When did Gary obtain the plant? Did he go back in time again alone?

I suspect this is one of those things you just can't think about too much.

• Love 3
On 11/6/2018 at 8:59 AM, Sakura12 said:

Constantine may be true to the comics, that could be why his show got canceled. I tried watching his pilot 3 times and could not get into it. He's okay for now but I don't know for how much longer if I don't see any growth from him. 

The Constantine pilot was middling to not good in a lot of ways; they ended up retooling it quite a bit when it got picked up for series (notably ditching the girl who played his sidekick in the pilot). I'd recommend watching some of the post-pilot episodes and evaluating the series based on those. You may still not enjoy it, but I felt it was much improved and really just hitting its stride leading into what would have been its mid-season if it had gotten picked up for a full back order.

(I liked the third episode, The Devil's Vinyl, although any of the eps with Papa Voudou were good. Blessed are the Damned was another memorable one, and the two-parter The Saint of Last Resorts was good.)

• Love 2

Another ridiculously fun episode and a great showcase for Ray.  I like how involved Mick is with the missions too, working with Ray as the old veteran.  The pairings continue to be very good as we got Constantine and Zari.  This show is excellent with that.  Also liked Constantine being blocked in his efforts to alter his timeline.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, RobertDeSneero said:

It's going to be fun if Nate finally returns to the Waverider for the first time and walks in on Mick having sex with Charlie in the form of Amaya, because you just know the first time he sees her is going to be something awkward.

Fixed that for you.  Figure Ray, despite Mick's prediction, is likely to end up with Nora.

• Love 2

Not much I can say that hasn't already been said, but this show continues getting better.  Brandon Routh and Tala Ashe (who really is the best performer on the show) really got to shine here.

Does anyone else think that Rage works as an ironic nickname for Ray, like the huge guy that everyone calls Tiny?

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lugal said:

Does anyone else think that Rage works as an ironic nickname for Ray, like the huge guy that everyone calls Tiny?

I thought his nickname was more like "Ray-ge."  That said, Ray seems like a really nice, really smart guy, kind of dorky guy that would be extremely dangerous if he ever got well and truly angry about something.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I thought his nickname was more like "Ray-ge."  That said, Ray seems like a really nice, really smart guy, kind of dorky guy that would be extremely dangerous if he ever got well and truly angry about something.

Bruce, is that you?

1 minute ago, jhlipton said:

Bruce, is that you?

No, honestly, I don't see Ray as a "Rahh, Ray-ge smash!" type.  I think with Ray, anger would make him icy cold, deploying his intellect and all those Eagle Scout skills to track and destroy whatever had enray-ged him.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, johntfs said:

No, honestly, I don't see Ray as a "Rahh, Ray-ge smash!" type.  I think with Ray, anger would make him icy cold, deploying his intellect and all those Eagle Scout skills to track and destroy whatever had enray-ged him.

That's fair but if "a really nice, really smart guy, kind of dorky guy that would be extremely dangerous if he ever got well and truly angry about something." doesn't describe Bruce Banner, I don't know what does!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

And Brandon Routh could pull that off, too.  I mean, his expression when he was being Charlie pretending to be Ray stalking the other Legends and trying to kill them was downright scary.  I would NEVER want Ray to look at me that way.  It's no wonder that some people theorize that once he and Nora get together, she MAY bring out a dark side in him that we've never seen before!

• Love 3

Here’s the producer preview for this episode.  I don’t know when it was posted; I was looking for it before the episode aired and didn’t see it.  But Phil Klemmer says something interesting.  I think some people here had speculated that Mick doesn’t trust Constantine because he senses that he has an ulterior motive for being on the ship.  PK confirms that yes, that is exactly what’s going on there.  

• Love 2