Type keyword(s) to search

2018 Season 13: Current Squad & Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Just now, EricaShadows said:

Nope, those were the Brigham Young University Cougerettes from Utah (and the college mascot).  They've won several national dance championships in different styles at the National Dance Alliance competition as well as competed at several other nationally (and internationally) recognized competitions.  From what I understand, they attract over 100 dancers for a team of 16 to 18 girls.  I remember reading somewhere that they must have knowledge of, and experience in, modern, ballet and jazz, but be able to pick up several other styles as needed.

It’s fantastic. I just did a little YouTube search and this mascot dancer and the squad are getting in the national news. It’s just adorable and damn, that guy/gal can dance!!!!! 

• Love 4

Any word about the Thanksgiving show? Last I heard the DCC girls were going to audition for Meghan Trainor. I’m not sure if anyone has seen any more information about those auditions.

Edited by rose711
7 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

And with that, she is now my least favorite rookie/team member. 

I don't know if I'm going to go that far, but it is making me reconsider how I look at her. I'm going back and forth on this. Anyhow, I guess the DCC drama never ends, and it does for sure give this forum stuff to talk about.

40 minutes ago, rose711 said:

Any word about the Thanksgiving show? Last I heard the DCC girls were going to audition for Meghan Trainor. I’m not sure if anyone has seen any more information about those auditions.

audition for ? I thought this was done deal - the DCC  was doing for the the 1/2 time thanksgiving show..

1 minute ago, sATL said:

audition for ? I thought this was done deal - the DCC  was doing for the the 1/2 time thanksgiving show..

When Tess and Tasha were on the These Boots podcast, they were saying how Meghan Trainor wanted to audition DCC as back up dancers the second week of November.  They didn't know much more than that at the time.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, sATL said:

Certain performers have auditions DCC in the past to serve as their actual back up dancers — so they don’t perform as part of the DCC.

Sam and Jenn Kndid it a few years ago for someone — Selena Gomez maybe? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Lolfordays said:

Certain performers have auditions DCC in the past to serve as their actual back up dancers — so they don’t perform as part of the DCC.

Sam and Jenn Kndid it a few years ago for someone — Selena Gomez maybe? 

Yeah, they said that on the podcast.  Shannon was joking that country stars come in, are okay with everything, easy going.  Pop stars come in and want to do things differently.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

To all you guys who love the new trainer at the Star, he’s pictured in this article on Jay Johnson, who I continue to LOVE....

http://www.cmt.com/news/1800398/how-jay-johnson-became-the-fitness-king-of-the-dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders/

“We have a fitness culture that cannot be denied,” he said. “I know in the 70s, 80s and in the 90s, we weren’t really seen as athletes. Now, there’s no mistake about it.”

Interesting comment about when K & J and others were cheerleaders... wonder how fast could they do a mile run back then ? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PBSLover said:

To all you guys who love the new trainer at the Star, he’s pictured in this article on Jay Johnson, who I continue to LOVE....

http://www.cmt.com/news/1800398/how-jay-johnson-became-the-fitness-king-of-the-dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders/

"Hey, here’s the program. And if it’s good for 4.2 million soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines, it’s good for the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, because it’s based on their age and their gender. Everyone’s competing against an established standard. Not each other, okay?”

Let me ask this : In the HS and college dance studios/teams - do they do a PFT test against some kind of standard ? Do they incorporate a cardio/sit-up/push-up session(s) where one is supposed to get faster/better as time goes along? 

Yes, the girls are fit and young, but to learn to run a sub 8 minute mile, does take some training on its own  -esp if the desire to run , as opposed to other cardio, isn't there.

Edited by sATL

So I know this sounds like stalking but I arranged a google alert on Kelli. I did it years ago and still get alerts. On the alert today it had the Jay Johnson piece and the alert read: 

“...a mindset that sold DCC Director Kelli Finglass from the moment she met Johnson for the first time and heard his ..."

That was not in the article. I would have love to have heard Kelli comment on Jay. She was the one who brought him on so...

41 minutes ago, sATL said:

"Hey, here’s the program. And if it’s good for 4.2 million soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines, it’s good for the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, because it’s based on their age and their gender. Everyone’s competing against an established standard. Not each other, okay?”

Let me ask this : In the HS and college dance studios/teams - do they do a PFT test against some kind of standard ? Do they incorporate a cardio/sit-up/push-up session(s) where one is supposed to get faster/better as time goes along? 

Yes, the girls are fit and young, but to learn to run a sub 8 minute mile, does take some training on its own  -esp if the desire to run , as opposed to other cardio, isn't there.

In the earlier seasons, Jay would talk about his program helping the girls build up stamina for game day, especially performing in the heat of Texas Stadium.  They also had to be able to make appearances/perform/travel as part of the USO tours, sometimes in hot weather.  Even now, K&J comment on girls needing to build up their core strength for kicks/jump splits, and needing stamina for the long nights of practice.  His workouts used to be mandatory.  I don't know what happened with that, but I remember the girls had to take other classes like Zumba and Barre.  Jay has helped a lot of girls get ready for their second year of auditions after getting cut.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

So I know this sounds like stalking but I arranged a google alert on Kelli. I did it years ago and still get alerts. On the alert today it had the Jay Johnson piece and the alert read: 

“...a mindset that sold DCC Director Kelli Finglass from the moment she met Johnson for the first time and heard his ..."

That was not in the article. I would have love to have heard Kelli comment on Jay. She was the one who brought him on so...

That quote is in the article...Or are you looking for a direct quote from Kelli? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

“You want to laugh at something?” he asked. “I’m sitting in the stands at the old Texas Stadium and I’m listening to a conversation behind me. And someone said, ‘Yeah, they’re all fake.’ Why did they say that? So, I turned around, and I’m like, ‘There’s no one on there that’s fake. I’m a judge, okay? That’s all work out there.”

Work that starts with a mindset: a mindset set that sold DCC Director Kelli Finglass from the moment she met Johnson for the first time and heard his approach to training the girls.

Johnson, a former Drill Sergeant, had been a part of the training community since retiring from the Army. But he quickly found that the training of his new world wasn’t like that of the military.

Edited by sleepyjean
1 minute ago, sleepyjean said:

That quote is in the article...Or are you looking for a direct quote from Kelli? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post.

“You want to laugh at something?” he asked. “I’m sitting in the stands at the old Texas Stadium and I’m listening to a conversation behind me. And someone said, ‘Yeah, they’re all fake.’ Why did they say that? So, I turned around, and I’m like, ‘There’s no one on there that’s fake. I’m a judge, okay? That’s all work out there.”

Work that starts with a mindset: a mindset set that sold DCC Director Kelli Finglass from the moment she met Johnson for the first time and heard his approach to training the girls.

Johnson, a former Drill Sergeant, had been a part of the training community since retiring from the Army. But he quickly found that the training of his new world wasn’t like that of the military.

Yeah, I wanted to hear from Kelli. I thought it was an interesting angle to the story so I thought she was a part of it. It is a great story but I wanted a woman’s perspective of what she thought of Jay.

4 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

It’s mean, but that was my reaction as well ;).  If only she could dance in those sunglasses and with a closed mouth smile she’d be a lot more “fun to watch” as a DCC.

IMO the former DCC that Brennan resembles is Sarah Gorley.  Especially in photos like her cameo. 

Dont EVER disrespect Brennan like that!! (lol)

• Love 5
On 10/31/2018 at 5:28 PM, sleepyjean said:

The judges can't know who will go on to be a superstar. Maddie may be terrific now, but it doesn't mean that she shouldn't have been cut her first time around. Someone here said it best, and I can't remember who, but just because someone is great now doesn't mean they were always great. If someone wins a gold medal at the Olympics this year, and didn't place at all four years ago, doesn't mean they were worth of a gold medal four years ago and the judges were wrong back then. People grow, develop, get better over time. The reverse is also true. Fact is, we have no idea why Tara was *really* cut, but I guarantee you, there were reasons. And the fact that those reasons were not made clear tells me it's something they really don't want to get into publicly.

I didn't really pay attention to her last year or this year until they mentioned her being off. To me even when she came into the office that last time smiling and saying she had been told she was improving, something just looked off to me in her eyes. She did seem out of it. Her hair was never fixed. Myself, I don't have a problem with the girls not glamming up for rehearsals when they're only going to end up a mass of sweat, but it does seem to be a DCC requirement, so she should have made an effort to look her best. I don't know the extent of her personal problems, but whatever they were or are, they certainly took a toll on her physically. She looked worn out and in need of a good night's sleep. This isn't to say that there weren't rookies who needed to be cut before they'd cut Tara, but most of the rookies looked better than some of the vets in energy and appearance/beauty. 

• Love 1
On 11/2/2018 at 3:22 PM, Slate said:

I miss Melissa so much!

I actually liked almost all of the 10 rookies that came through that year: Ashley, Breelan, Caila, Courtney, Lacey, Loren, Mary, Melissa, Victoria, the other one. I know they weren't perfect, and many may disagree about their dancing ability, but they seemed like a fun group of girls.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SSAHotchner said:

I didn't really pay attention to her last year or this year until they mentioned her being off. To me even when she came into the office that last time smiling and saying she had been told she was improving, something just looked off to me in her eyes. She did seem out of it. Her hair was never fixed. Myself, I don't have a problem with the girls not glamming up for rehearsals when they're only going to end up a mass of sweat, but it does seem to be a DCC requirement, so she should have made an effort to look her best. I don't know the extent of her personal problems, but whatever they were or are, they certainly took a toll on her physically. She looked worn out and in need of a good night's sleep. This isn't to say that there weren't rookies who needed to be cut before they'd cut Tara, but most of the rookies looked better than some of the vets in energy and appearance/beauty. 

I don't know fact from fiction, but I do have an opinion.  I think Tara had an abusive boyfriend.  Not abusive physically, but abusive emotionally.  A guy insecure with Tara's sex appeal as far as being a cheerleader.  He tried to change her.  She gave it the good fight, but in the end he wore her down and it cost her her spot on the team.  I firmly believe romantic troubles were the undoing of Tara.  She had such a weariness and sadness about her.

• Love 2

After seeing the group photo, I want to start a thread called “How Is So and So Still On The Team” so I can just whine about a certain vet who shouldn’t be on there because she dances like a high schooler and should have been cut after finals, I see veneers before anything, has whined in previous seasons, and is annoying on IG (I don’t follow her but when she shows up in other posts I’m like ARGH ??‍♀️ I’m sure there is a Reddit for this though. 

No, not PMSy, why do you ask ???

• Love 7
8 hours ago, MamaMia said:

Oh my goodness, does anyone watch RHOD? Brandi (? spelling) was a DCC for five years and now is a real housewife of Dallas. During one of her confessionals, she said she use to smell a lot of smelly twats during line kicks?. Sure she offended some of her prior cheer team members although she meant it to be funny. 

I saw it and I was like oh snap, PTV is gonna have thread about this followed by intense investigation of where she was in kickline and what seasons....???

• Love 3
10 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

When Tess and Tasha were on the These Boots podcast, they were saying how Meghan Trainor wanted to audition DCC as back up dancers the second week of November.  They didn't know much more than that at the time.

So not all the DCC will be onstage with her for the halftime show??

15 hours ago, MamaMia said:

Oh my goodness, does anyone watch RHOD? Brandi (? spelling) was a DCC for five years and now is a real housewife of Dallas. During one of her confessionals, she said she use to smell a lot of smelly twats during line kicks?. Sure she offended some of her prior cheer team members although she meant it to be funny. 

6 hours ago, Cappuccinagina said:

I saw it and I was like oh snap, PTV is gonna have thread about this followed by intense investigation of where she was in kickline and what seasons....???

I.m sure she did... Its hot in Dallas... plus they wear those dance pantyhose that hold in heat and sweat to some degree, not mention very thin ,in material and width, (if any) undies and the shorts just leave twats open for smells to come out into the atmosphere... plus they are only what inches away from each other when they do those leg lifts.  Not to be mean, but if someone was on their period, some foods tend to make discharge even smellier - like fish. They are constantly stretching and doing splits - so all of that B.O. is going to come out somewhere... And let's be real - not everyone practices the same personal bathing hygiene.

I just figure they get used to the "smells" - like any athlete. 

There was a brief scene in the last episode when Kelli was talking to the team after the game. Most had their boots off, which we have seen many dance in a couple pairs of socks, exposing their bare feet, while still in uniform. I could smell feet thought the TV. 

• Love 1
On 11/2/2018 at 5:25 PM, Christineelgene said:

Not sure if this is the right forum, but the documentary “Daughters of the Sexual Revolution: The Untold Story of the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders” is now available on Amazon Video, for rent or sale.  Since I doubt the movie will hit the theatres in semi-rural Minnesota, I bought it and it was very good.

It was a good movie, made all the more compelling yet sad at the same time since Suzanne Mitchell passed away in 2016. If you are a fan of the early DCC days, this is a must see documentary. It did NOT paint Jerry Jones in a very favorable light at all, which I found rather amusing. 

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Cappuccinagina said:

After seeing the group photo, I want to start a thread called “How Is So and So Still On The Team” so I can just whine about a certain vet who shouldn’t be on there because she dances like a high schooler and should have been cut after finals, I see veneers before anything, has whined in previous seasons, and is annoying on IG (I don’t follow her but when she shows up in other posts I’m like ARGH ??‍♀️ I’m sure there is a Reddit for this though. 

I can name two right off...Hannah and Christina.  although I love Hannah’s story, she’s less photogenic than Keyra last year.  Christina, well, I don’t see how she made it the first time.  

Edited by MssdDrms
Spelling
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Cappuccinagina said:

Christina?

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Jesslyn said:

So not all the DCC will be onstage with her for the halftime show??

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.  I wouldn't be surprised if ALL the girls want to be up there, just for the dance exposure.  

3 hours ago, MssdDrms said:

I can name two right off...Hannah and Christina.  although I love Hannah’s story, she’s less photogenic than Keyra last year.  Christina, well, I don’t see how she made it the first time.  

1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

Christina?

Guess I'm not the only one who thought this about Christina (and possibly about a few others).  Being photogenic is a plus for being on the squad, but we've seen that being photogenic CAN'T be the main, or only, reason a girl is on the squad or in Training Camp because if it is, those girls rarely make it to the end of Training Camp and even fewer last a year on the squad without DRASTIC improvement (which we haven't seen).

• Love 3

Briana was able to spend some time with her fellow TTC Alumni last night. Jocelyn (2018 PBC Rep for the Titans) was celebrating her birthday and Mariel is there for a racing event.

Mariel even congratulated Briana on making the squad in her post on IG.

This made me wonder if they'll be going to the game tomorrow to see her cheer. I hope so!

Edited by CowboysFanatic
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Christina?

I didn’t care much for Christina when she made TC the first time.  She seemed whiney and has the body of a 12 year old boy.  She just doesn’t seem like a DCC (IMHO).  She’s just one of those people, for me, that I just can’t look at.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MssdDrms said:

I didn’t care much for Christina when she made TC the first time.  She seemed whiney and has the body of a 12 year old boy.  She just doesn’t seem like a DCC (IMHO).  She’s just one of those people, for me, that I just can’t look at.

She is one who I thought would/should be cut at finals. 

• Love 6
On 11/4/2018 at 6:58 AM, MssdDrms said:

I think there is still work to do on Hannah’s look, and I hope it continues to evolve over this season.  She is such an amazing dancer and seems like a kind person.  

• Love 5

I remember when Jenna was in TC. She kept getting a lot of good comments on her dance, but the overwhelming theme of her appearance that yes she is a pretty, but she looks like a young teen rather than a grown woman...and i think there are some DCC this year that i think they are pretty, but look more like Tweens than young women. Hannah and Maddie are pretty, and are great dancers, but look more like teens than young women with a hint of sex appeal

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Thebiglebowski said:

I remember when Jenna was in TC. She kept getting a lot of good comments on her dance, but the overwhelming theme of her appearance that yes she is a pretty, but she looks like a young teen rather than a grown woman...and i think there are some DCC this year that i think they are pretty, but look more like Tweens than young women. Hannah and Maddie are pretty, and are great dancers, but look more like teens than young women with a hint of sex appeal

And to me, Alexis looks 30. Maybe she is, I don't know, but she looks sooo much older than the other girls. This is not a slam on her, though. I think she's gorgeous.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Thebiglebowski said:

Hannah? Interesting. I actually think she has a rather rough look (at times) and looks to be on the older side rather than young. I agree about Maddie being similar to Jenna but in a slightly different way. Jenna looked very young in the face but had sex appeal in movement while dancing. With Maddie, I feel that’s its as much her mannerisms and her big grin that make her seem young to me moreso than her actual look, if that makes sense. 

• Love 5

I think Hannah’s look is fine and her dancing is amazing. If they put Maddie on the team they have to give Hanna a chance.  I’m still not a huge fan of Jalyn’s look..... never have been. But she’s won me over with her dancing and personality. I mean, they are never going to have a team of Abigail Kleins and Ashton Torres beauties, but none of these girls are unattractive. Maddie is really the only one I don’t see lookswise at all, and I feel like a total jerk for saying that because she’s a great dancer and a wonderful person. 

• Love 5

I like Hannah's look I just think that her rookie photo, that they took in the studio in full lighting and everything, doesn't do her justice, she looks much better on the field and in action.

• Love 2

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that Hannah shouldn’t have made it. I certainly think she should have, but I do think she sometimes has a similarly harsh look like LSU Kaitlin a few years ago (who I also think should’ve made it). I think Maddie looks a bit out of place in the triangle, but she’s cute and a worthy member of the team. If the team were comprised of 12 girls, it would be different, and I would expect everyone to be gorgeous and glamorous. However, with 36, there is definitely room for different looks.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Monique said:

I like Hannah's look I just think that her rookie photo, that they took in the studio in full lighting and everything, doesn't do her justice, she looks much better on the field and in action.

Love this pic!

Hannah.jpg

Edited by Tootie
  • Love 17
4 hours ago, cgloss said:

And to me, Alexis looks 30. Maybe she is, I don't know, but she looks sooo much older than the other girls. This is not a slam on her, though. I think she's gorgeous.

She’s like 23/24 

1 hour ago, PBSLover said:

Hannah has bad hair. GET RID OF THAT DAMN CENTER PART. Christ it is ugly. Fixing her hair will hep her look.

Dear, awesome, sweet, funny Marshall: We KNOW you read these forums. It's time. For the love of all that is holy, center parts DO NOT work on everyone!

• Love 16
32 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

But I was so glad to see Danielle with a center part instead of that comb over she constantly had to fiddle with. 

Danielle's low side part drove me nuts. I thought it was funny how she got called out for her hair. I thought, yeah....she had that coming. 

• Love 6