Type keyword(s) to search

2018 Season 13: Current Squad & Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Ninamags said:

I always thought that saying or being from the hood just meant your neighborHOOD. 

My brothers ask me all the time "what's going on in the hood?" meaning, whats happening with the neighbors!  

Not necessarily "inner city" because we live in the 'burbs. 

ghetto is the more offensive word, especially if you are describing someone. 

I get what you're saying, and in your instance that is exactly what your brother means. Your neighborhood.

But in Maddie's case she did her hair in braids on the side, put on gold chains, a 'pour one for my homes' (lame) cat shirt, etc. She was not dressing like most of the suburbs. No she wasn't in blackface or trying to be offensive, but this is about on the same microagression level to me as Group 2 in the sombrero's and Kashara being called racist, and Lacey in the black scarves and terrorist gear or whatever. Don't call out one and not all. 

Ok I'm done.  Maddie is not a bad person and I don't think she'd do anything intentionally hurtful. She just has no clue how cultural appropriation and racial insensitivity is a big deal for some of us. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

I get what you're saying, and in your instance that is exactly what your brother means. Your neighborhood.

But in Maddie's case she did her hair in braids on the side, put on gold chains, a 'pour one for my homes' (lame) cat shirt, etc. She was not dressing like most of the suburbs. No she wasn't in blackface or trying to be offensive, but this is about on the same microagression level to me as Group 2 in the sombrero's and Kashara being called racist, and Lacey in the black scarves and terrorist gear or whatever. Don't call out one and not all. 

Ok I'm done.  Maddie is not a bad person and I don't think she'd do anything intentionally hurtful. She just has no clue how cultural appropriation and racial insensitivity is a big deal for some of us. 

I agree.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Thebiglebowski said:

Cheeze and crackers, Dayton just posted a smoking hot picture on IG. Totally makeup free...girl i love those freckles!!!!! So happy she seems to be enjoying this part of her life!

As a fellow "person of freckles" ....I LOVE her freckles!!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, UnicornKicks said:

Taylor and Brianna on the podcast tonight. Both impress me so far. Glad to see some strong rookies again. 

Also Brianna reminds me of that actress who did Tiana's voice. Can't think of her name and don't have time to google at the moment. 

Princess Tiana? Anika Noni Rose. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, UnicornKicks said:

Completely agree that we're all super sensitive right now and anyone who is even remotely in the public eye should be extra cautious. I never ever thought Maddie is a bad person, just made a bad choice. She'd probably be offended if I dressed up like an LDS missionary or Big Love type fundamentalist as a joke for Halloween, so sometimes it's good to put the shoe on the other foot and be considerate. 

Nope --Mormons don't care if you dress as a missionary (heck, do you see any of us out protesting The Book of Mormon broadway show? Nope, we're in the audience watching & laughing along with everyone else). And, no, I am not from Utah nor am I white. Don't know anything about "Big Love fundamentalist" so can't say anything about them.

And, for the record, Maddie believes she is a hip-hopper & that is her "culture/identity" -- sigh (look at her IG -- she has similar pics year round). Her costume wasn't a joke & she wasn't trying to make fun of anyone.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Jess14 said:

I agree and disagree to an extent. First, I don’t think Maddie or anyone else needs to necessarily apologize if there was no ill intent (and if there was ill intent, then the apology is probably insincere anyway).  I think an acknowledgement that what you said or did may be offensive and doing better in the future is enough. Lord knows that we’ve all said and done things that are insensitive or offensive without intending to. Doesn’t make anyone a bad person. However, I think that only calling out behavior when it’s egregious isn’t the best thing either. Most people aren’t going to run around yelling the n-word, but most people absolutely have biases. think it’s a good thing for people to recognize their biases because while a Halloween costume in this case is not hurting anyone, unconscious biases that arise in other situations absolutely can. 

I’m a bit confused. Are you suggesting that the hood as it’s commonly referred to has no correlation with race? I’m not trying to be rude at all. I’m just trying to make sure that I don’t misunderstand what you mean. 

1 hour ago, Ninamags said:

I always thought that saying or being from the hood just meant your neighborHOOD. 

My brothers ask me all the time "what's going on in the hood?" meaning, whats happening with the neighbors!  

Not necessarily "inner city" because we live in the 'burbs. 

ghetto is the more offensive word, especially if you are describing someone. 

55 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

But in Maddie's case she did her hair in braids on the side, put on gold chains, a 'pour one for my homes' (lame) cat shirt, etc. She was not dressing like most of the suburbs.

The original meaning of "hood" & "from the hood" did refer to a black neighborhood, but it has evolved from that.  Maddie is using it in the hip hop sense (and yes, hip hop was originally a "black thing" & their was a huge outcry when white people saw it as cool & started doing it, too -- now it's no big deal) -- she's not saying she's black or from a dangerous area -- it's a hip hop expression.

The only difference I see in Maddie's dress from her other pics are the gold chains (again, just a lame attempt to make it look like you're actually wearing a costume -- but since when are too many gold chains a "black thing"? I see plenty of white women wearing way too many large necklaces everyday). To say she can't put braids in her hair is just lame (and, yes, I'm old enough to remember the outcry when white people first started putting their hair in cornrows (Bo Derek in 10 -- shocking) & even the controversy of  white people with afros) -- it's just a hairstyle. No one race has a lock on a hairstyle.

• Love 7

I thought based on the placements below that the triangle would consist of show group people (the stronger dancers).  Alexis, is pretty but she's not in show group so can't see her as being in the triangle.  Also the three in triangle are currently group leaders.  So if that is also a requirement, then it would limit the triangle next year to  Khalyn, Tess and Kelli.  

image.png.124ca641c295c5b7a4d95b548e4ec553.png

• Love 1
On 10/31/2018 at 12:18 PM, ByTor said:

Thank you!

Let's just say I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if Thunderstruck were replaced.

AMEN! I also think 'sexy hips' are the complete opposite of sexy, and it overused as every other sideline dance.  It's like someone coined the term in 1987 and it made the permanent DCC Dictionary along with 'fluff and puff' and 'yes, no, maybe"

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, LynneH said:

I thought based on the placements below that the triangle would consist of show group people (the stronger dancers).  Alexis, is pretty but she's not in show group so can't see her as being in the triangle.  Also the three in triangle are currently group leaders.  So if that is also a requirement, then it would limit the triangle next year to  Khalyn, Tess and Kelli.  

image.png.124ca641c295c5b7a4d95b548e4ec553.png

Not a requirement. Kashara jumped from no show group and not a leader to point. Gina is the only one I can see being there 100% but should never say 100%. I was 100% sure it would be Erica, Jenna, Holly, too and look what happened there. 

• Love 1
On 11/7/2018 at 3:52 PM, MyFavShows said:

Doesn’t look that “terrible” to me.  Not saying it’s good, but I’ve seen much worse.   Her figure looks amazing, so at worst you’d call it a “strutting around looking hot” solo, which honestly is harder than it sounds.

i don’t really like Christina’s personality at all - she seemed like the type that always had excuses.   I also didn’t think she improved much at all dance-wise over all her years trying out and just got lucky she tried out enough and finally made it during a weak tryout year - however, I don’t really think that was bad dancing.   Just looks like the typical dance you always see to that song (which is very popular in the comp world).  

I'll give you that she DOES look very good . . . from the neck down, but, in addition to not liking her dance skills, I don't like Christina's face for some reason.  However, back to the dancing. . . I think the general consensus was that the choreography was overall pretty decent to good and an amazing dancer would have knocked a solo like that out of the park.  When Christina does it, she brings it down so low, it's horrible.  I also give her an "F-minus" for "strutting around looking hot".  She can't even do THAT right because, just when she gets into a pose where she MIGHT look good, she throws in an awkward dance move or she falls into trying to be sexy when she tries a move and fails.

10 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Her technique was weak. The choreography could have been stronger, sure, but as a technical dancer it's just not there. She dances heavy, her leap was low, her kick was low and bent. It's not DCC-standard by any means and didn't play to whatever strength she has. 

A dancer with either solid technique, but not as many "advanced" moves or a technical dancer would have knocked that routine out of the park.  I would have expected Christina to have improved immensely over the years, especially in technique so that she'd have a strong base to work from, but she has either barely improved or has remained stagnant in terms of dance.  I expect her to retire at the end of this year or, if she chooses to return (and does so with another horrible performance), she'll likely get cut, especially if another rookie class comes in with amazing talent.  On the other hand, because there will be at least 5 upper vets returning, Kelli might be so desperate for upper vets, that she'll keep any, and every, one that she can, including those with poor performance skills and weak talent.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

Not a requirement. Kashara jumped from no show group and not a leader to point. Gina is the only one I can see being there 100% but should never say 100%. I was 100% sure it would be Erica, Jenna, Holly, too and look what happened there. 

KaShara was in show group & a 2nd group leader when she was made point for HoF (after Jenna got into trouble) & she then became a group leader (after Erica messed up & was dismissed). Jenna then messed up again & KaShara was given point permanently. So, technically, she was both when she made point last year. This year she's both again. Not saying it's required but it does (kind of) follow the pattern.

It probably would have been Jenna, Holly, & Erica if they had not gotten into trouble. KaShara got it by default (not saying she did or did not deserve it, but I don't think she was in line (or at least in 4th position) for point last year before the snafus).

Edited by hannahbanana
  • Love 3

If it would have been Jenna, Holly, and Erica then where did Lacey come from? I personally have never been a fan of her but Kash must have done something pretty big to come out of nowhere when/if Lacey was right there. 

• Love 3
On 11/6/2018 at 12:34 PM, ByTor said:

Why is Rachel someone's locker buddy?  I thought there were enough for everybody to have her own.

Maybe they shared a locker during TC.

Edited by Erinbridget
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, Monique said:

If it would have been Jenna, Holly, and Erica then where did Lacey come from? I personally have never been a fan of her but Kash must have done something pretty big to come out of nowhere when/if Lacey was right there. 

Stepped up and took leadership when Lacey was too timid to do it. 

• Love 5

So I listened to the podcast today and they talked more abt the half time show how it was going to work !! So they did have auditions to dance on stage with Megan trainor it will bc 4 dcc amd 4 dcrb ! The rest of the squad will be dancing on the field 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Holly85 said:

So I listened to the podcast today and they talked more abt the half time show how it was going to work !! So they did have auditions to dance on stage with Megan trainor it will bc 4 dcc amd 4 dcrb ! The rest of the squad will be dancing on the field 

I am listening now.  Does anyone know who are the 4 DCC that were picked?

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Erinbridget said:

Maybe they shared a locker during TC.

A locker buddy is just someone whose locker is next to yours. She MAY have shared during TC, but alot of the times when the girls refer to someone as their LB it's usually someone whose locker is next to theirs.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, J-R said:

I am listening now.  Does anyone know who are the 4 DCC that were picked?

We need a poll. Can we make a poll on here?

Who does everybody think Megan Trainor picked?

I'll guess Kashara, Maddie, Molly, Lauren.

• Love 1

I have worked with a cubicle in one university so my “neighbor “ was called my cubbie mate. Then when I am in private office, the next office is my neighbor.

In light of ongoing issues, included with etiquette & social media training, there should be one on being culturally sensitive & more educated on different cultures.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, UnicornKicks said:

Stepped up and took leadership when Lacey was too timid to do it.

I understand how stepping up & taking leadership would get you a GL spot, but I do not understand how/why it would get you point.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

In light of ongoing issues, included with etiquette & social media training, there should be one on being culturally sensitive & more educated on different cultures.

Or at the VERY least, Halloween costume dos and don'ts :)

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Holly85 said:

I was just looking at the DCC Facebook page and there's a contest to send one person to Dallas for the Thanksgiving day game and be on the field for the Thanksgiving halftime show.  That would be pretty cool.  Even better if the seats are good and the winner got an opportunity to meet the cheerleaders, tour the stadium and the like.  Purchase is NOT required (supposedly) and 49 other people AND their guests would be going as well nor would any cool meet-and-greets happen.

As for the 4 selected individuals from each team, I think it's REALLY cool that the Rhythm and Blue dancers are going to be up there.  They don't get enough love OR publicity.  As for the girls selected, I really hope at least Lauren and KaShara are up there.  Gina and Lacey will probably be up there too.  I just hope that Christina won't be up there.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 2

There are so many great dancers/performers on the squad this year! I have no idea how they'll pick just four.  I feel like Kashara is a given and it seems like Gina always gets noticed too.  Honestly, there are rookies I could see her picking, like Bridget and Ashlee. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, cgloss said:

Are Rachel and Amber show group?

Amber is 

14 minutes ago, dccfan321 said:

Kash, Rachel W, Maddie, and Amber were chosen from DCC.

Interesting choice with Rachel 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I was just looking at the DCC Facebook page and there's a contest to send one person to Dallas for the Thanksgiving day game and be on the field for the Thanksgiving halftime show.  That would be pretty cool.  Even better if the seats are good and the winner got an opportunity to meet the cheerleaders, tour the stadium and the like.  Purchase is NOT required (supposedly) and 49 other people AND their guests would be going as well nor would any cool meet-and-greets happen.

As for the 4 selected individuals from each team, I think it's REALLY cool that the Rhythm and Blue dancers are going to be up there.  They don't get enough love OR publicity.  As for the girls selected, I really hope at least Lauren and KaShara are up there.  Gina and Lacey will probably be up there too.  I just hope that Christina won't be up there.

82F3E808-8B13-4170-8D6D-A50653B52ACB.jpeg

Just now, Holly85 said:

82F3E808-8B13-4170-8D6D-A50653B52ACB.jpeg

What you have to do to enter contest

6 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Amber is 

We see them dance DCC style, but I bet they all have other styles they are strong in.    Maybe that’s the case here.

3 hours ago, ByTor said:

I understand how stepping up & taking leadership would get you a GL spot, but I do not understand how/why it would get you point.

Add that to a dance style with pop.  I like both Kash and Lacey, but Lacey was, as mentioned above, a timid dancer.  Supposedly she wasn’t even in the triangle until Holly/Erica left.  I think she’s really stepped up her game.  

I posted an article about her a few weeks ago.  In it, she said her favorite style to dance was hip hop, but she always did lyrical in auditions.  I wonder if she was nervous to switch it up 

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Amber is 

I forget there's an Amber. 

Gut reactions = getting ready to duck and cover = Megan Trainor was not going to pick the super skinny girls like Lacey or Gina.  That's why I said Kashara, Maddie, Molly, and well, I just like Lauren LOL. She couldn't be more toned and trim if she tried but doesn't look stringy like Gina, Hannah, and Lacey at times.

Kashara and Molly are thicker curvier with PERFECT figures IMO, and Rachel and Maddie always on WW, so not going to make Megan look like a tank. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

We see them dance DCC style, but I bet they all have other styles they are strong in.    Maybe that’s the case here.

Add that to a dance style with pop.  I like both Kash and Lacey, but Lacey was, as mentioned above, a timid dancer.  Supposedly she wasn’t even in the triangle until Holly/Erica left.  I think she’s really stepped up her game.  

I posted an article about her a few weeks ago.  In it, she said her favorite style to dance was hip hop, but she always did lyrical in auditions.  I wonder if she was nervous to switch it up 

It wasn’t the final formation because the rookies weren’t included, but at Oxnard last year, I believe the triangle was Lacey, Jenna, Kashara. Holly was behind Jenna in Khalyn’s spot. Erica was inured, so it’s unclear where she may have ended up. However, while the person in that Khalyn/Erica/Kinzie position is highly visible when they transition out of the triangle, you can make the argument that Lacey and Kashara had better positons than Holly in the actual triangle. I assume part of it may have been the urge for a blonde up there with Kashara and Lacey having seniority over Holly.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, UnicornKicks said:

Oh well my bad then and UGH. Not a fan at all. 

Honestly neither am I...her power is nothing special, and Miss America contestant or not, I don't think she's nearly the prettiest on the squad.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Honestly neither am I...her power is nothing special, and Miss America contestant or not, I don't think she's nearly the prettiest on the squad.

Maybe they wanted to pick someone Filipino/Puerto Rican/Jewish/Ukrainian!  ??????

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dccfan321 said:

Kash, Rachel W, Maddie, and Amber were chosen from DCC.

Love this! I’ll be there so I can’t wait to see the performance.. gosh maybe they picked Rachel W, because she showed up and *gasp* maybe just that good of a performer. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, UnicornKicks said:

I forget there's an Amber. 

Gut reactions = getting ready to duck and cover = Megan Trainor was not going to pick the super skinny girls like Lacey or Gina.  That's why I said Kashara, Maddie, Molly, and well, I just like Lauren LOL. She couldn't be more toned and trim if she tried but doesn't look stringy like Gina, Hannah, and Lacey at times.

Kashara and Molly are thicker curvier with PERFECT figures IMO, and Rachel and Maddie always on WW, so not going to make Megan look like a tank. 

I agree that Molly has a great figure BUT she's NOT thick at all. I've met Molly in person. She's actually an athletic string bean size 0.

Edited by TexasBorn
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

I agree that Molly has a great figure BUT she's NOT thick at all. I've met Molly in person. She's actually an athletic string bean size 0.

Molly and Lauren have the same athletic build with abs, small boobs:)  

• Love 1

Someone remind my shoddy memory...

How come DCC no longer do the Breast Cancer and Halloween performances? And do they still do the Christmas performance? I'm a Halloween freak so I am uber sad about that performance being done with.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, homelife said:

Someone remind my shoddy memory...

How come DCC no longer do the Breast Cancer and Halloween performances? And do they still do the Christmas performance? I'm a Halloween freak so I am uber sad about that performance being done with.

• Love 1