Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Candace

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

On 11/5/2018 at 9:34 AM, waving feather said:

Does cut off finger work for thumb print security? I thought it has to have warmth.

Fingerprint scanners for computers and phones are actually laughably easy to fool. Casts of fingerprints in glue or prints lifted with powder and scotch tape can do the trick. I'm surprised Joe didn't do his homework and make a cast in silicon or epoxy instead of keeping the finger, for the smell alone.

On 2/5/2019 at 10:58 AM, Blakeston said:

Despite Joe being regularly referred to as a sociopathic serial killer, I don't think he qualifies as either. I wouldn't call him a sociopath. He's a cold bastard who does brutal things, but he also seems to genuinely care about certain people (like Paco and Claudia). And sociopaths don't obsess over feelings of love for others. I'd say he's a person whose sense of right and wrong is completely warped, as opposed to someone who lacks empathy entirely.  And while he's a multiple murderer, I wouldn't say he fits the psychological profile of a serial killer. He kills when his back is to the wall, or when extreme circumstances push him over the edge. He doesn't seem to get off on killing, or do it for profit. A true serial killer would have been champing at the bit to kill Benjy once he was in the cage. Joe seemed to be wishing for a way to let him out.

Agreed, not to mention he still has nightmares about his first murder, Candace's record manager, so he also feels remorse (or something close to it). He's definitely just a damaged individual who's been twisted from a difficult, abusive childhood. Not that it excuses his actions, but it explains them with a sympathetic psychology that makes for a complicated character who isn't just a mustache-twirling, evil sadist.

Beck would have been fine if she had just texted Annika the scary details before opening the bathroom door. Actually, text more than just Annika - text your dad, text anyone trustworthy you can think of. And then call 911. (How many jurisdictions let you text 911 now? It should really be all of them.)

But, I can't really blame her - who among us could act perfectly and rationally when confronted with a shock like that? 

On 11/11/2018 at 2:16 PM, Zanne said:

I'll admit it, I have no sympathy for Beck. She's an awful person. Some might say flawed, but my vote is throw her on the trash heap and be done with her. 

I find comments like this disturbing. Beck isn't that great of a person, but she absolutely doesn't deserve any of what Joe does. Beck is average and a bit selfish; Joe is a serial killer who targets innocent women and the people who try to protect them. 

This show is every woman's worst nightmare. How can anyone watch it and think, let alone say/write, that they have no sympathy for the woman being victimized here? 

Edited to add: I'll admit I found Beck irritating throughout the series, wouldn't want to be her friend, and was tired of and annoyed by her voice and mannerisms by the end of the series. But I am still very sympathetic to the horrifying situation she has found herself in, which she never could have expected from what she knew. Its every woman's worst nightmare. It doesn't even come close to the level of things like cheating on your boyfriend. 

Did anyone ever confirm if it was a finger or a tampon? I thought it was a tampon. A finger to open Benji's phone seems silly - once you have it open once, you just change the settings to not require a passcode in the future. Much simpler than keeping a gross decomposing finger laying around. And how long could it possibly unlock a phone after it starts to decay? 

• Love 9
On 2/27/2019 at 7:23 PM, LeGrandElephant said:

Beck would have been fine if she had just texted Annika the scary details before opening the bathroom door. Actually, text more than just Annika - text your dad, text anyone trustworthy you can think of. And then call 911. (How many jurisdictions let you text 911 now? It should really be all of them.)

But, I can't really blame her - who among us could act perfectly and rationally when confronted with a shock like that? 

I find comments like this disturbing. Beck isn't that great of a person, but she absolutely doesn't deserve any of what Joe does. Beck is average and a bit selfish; Joe is a serial killer who targets innocent women and the people who try to protect them. 

This show is every woman's worst nightmare. How can anyone watch it and think, let alone say/write, that they have no sympathy for the woman being victimized here? 

Edited to add: I'll admit I found Beck irritating throughout the series, wouldn't want to be her friend, and was tired of and annoyed by her voice and mannerisms by the end of the series. But I am still very sympathetic to the horrifying situation she has found herself in, which she never could have expected from what she knew. Its every woman's worst nightmare. It doesn't even come close to the level of things like cheating on your boyfriend. 

Did anyone ever confirm if it was a finger or a tampon? I thought it was a tampon. A finger to open Benji's phone seems silly - once you have it open once, you just change the settings to not require a passcode in the future. Much simpler than keeping a gross decomposing finger laying around. And how long could it possibly unlock a phone after it starts to decay? 

I agree with you there but I never really had a problem with Beck. I was actually kind of disappointed at the end. I think people like Joe's character more even though he's a psycho, there's something about his character that is appealing even when you don't want it to be.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2019 at 7:23 PM, LeGrandElephant said:

Did anyone ever confirm if it was a finger or a tampon? I thought it was a tampon. 

I haven’t read the book, but I thought I read somewhere that in the book it was a tampon.  

Doing a re-watch to prepare for Season Three dropping next month.

Why didn't I recall the tampon? For some reason I thought it was a detached finger. Now I'm trying to figure out what's worse: a severed finger or a used tampon? I guess it doesn't matter.

Joe nasty.

• Like 1
  • Love 1