Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Crossing Lines

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

So let me get this straight...Brick, the guy who has been farking with Oliver the entire time he's been in prison, tells him, after another foiled attempt on his life, that he has to go to Level 2 to find "Demon" and Oliver immediately believes him, stabs a guard (giving himself a longer sentence in the process) to get to Level 2? He doesn't even question what Brick is saying to him might not be true and he's just doing it to get rid of Oliver? ARG!!!

Second, Felicity was off in this episode. The dialogue and acting seemed forced and weird. 

Third, every single time Dinah gets into a fight, I wish for her death. I intensely dislike the actress and character and every story she is in. 

• Love 5

They've got me in a really happy place with Stanley. If he turns out to be a baddie I'll be like "Yeah I expected that, he did seem a tad shifty."

If he's not a baddie then he can just be Oliver's cute little prison friend which I'm totally cool with too.

• Love 3

I see where the next season of Prison Break will take place-Star City!????? That was some awesometacular fighting, but I will admit, because I know I’m among friends, that I covered my ears when Oliver broke/snapped/dislocated “Samson”wannabe’s arms. 

And just why is that Stanley, who can’t shut the fuck up, stalking Oliver? More importantly, why is Oliver letting him hang around? He is soooo the “Demon.” And why is this pissant in level two with Oliver? 

And because it can’t be said enough: SHUT UP CURTIS!!!

I cannot believe this fucking shit. Marblemushmouth will now be Mirakur’d Marblemushmouth? If they had to have someone of equal strength and fighting ability, they shoulda just hired John Reese Caviezel*. Now that’s something I’d watch and he can be scary.

*Yeah, still bitter at the wasted/lost opportunity.

And I’m with @scarynikki12-every time I see Bronze Tiger, all I see is him getting penciled to death by Heath Ledger’s Joker.

Oh boo hoo hoo. He’s stuck in jail because of Lyla “screwing” him over. Like him saving whoever negates all the murders he committed before.  Cry me a fucking River.

That beard of Oliver’s has GOT TO GO.

Both Stephen and Emily are killing it.

• Love 6

Didn't hate it, didn't love it. Best bits were with Felicity and Oliver. Alas, still separated. I just enjoy how ruthless both of them are. I really enjoyed Felicity in this episode, mainly because Emily conveyed her desperation and frustration very well.

I can handwave Oliver believing Brick as the act of a desperate man but yeah, that's not smart.

How in the heck did Rene manage to capture Silencer? I'm not impressed. Silencer and the shield dude should have been able to put down Dinah and Rene quickly. Second episode after they're introduced and I'm already over the Longbow Hunters. Diaz is just so lame and he drags their credibility down with him.

Digg with JJ and Lyla was cute. That bit would probably have been cuter if it was with the Digglette. Sorry, still pissed about that. Digg and Lyla having the same conversation they've been having for a thousandth time is boring, though. But I'm guessing it's a set up for something down the line. I was hoping they'd be in a mountainous part of Switzerland where Digg could accidentally knock Curtis off a cliff. 

Take out Dinah in this episode and nothing would have changed. She really is just there to eat up screen time with a fight scene, isn't she?

Rene was not quite as annoying although I did want to throw my beer at the TV when I saw Felicity crashing at his place. 

Hi Watson, bye Watson. At least you kinda redeemed yourself before you got sent back to DC.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, KenyaJ said:

There is literally not enough time in this show to accommodate the overabundance of characters. And it's crazy to think that there are additional characters coming this season who haven't even been introduced yet. I pray that somewhere between now and the start of S8, the show will pare down the cast. There are a lot of characters who are just taking up space.

That would mean Writers would have to get rid of their precious newbs and I don't think they wanna do that. They would probably write off Diggle and Lyla before they would do that SMH if I sound Bitter it's cause in my mind it's gross how they have swept what newbs were like last season under the rug. Felicity SHOULD NOT be sleeping on the Couch of a Guy who swung an ax at her husband or be good friends with any of those 3

• Love 2

How can so many 'good guys' be so delusional?

Agent Watson (to Felicity): "Go home. Enjoy your freedom."
Lyla (to Diggle): "Felicity will be fine, I promise."  

Uh, no. Felicity was attacked by Diaz when she was under ARGUS guard. Felicity is still out there unprotected and at risk of being attacked again by Diaz. (Btw, what happened to her ARGUS protection? They certainly weren't around during this episode.) Felicity had to send her son away. Her husband is in prison. She's sleeping on Rene's couch. So how can Felicity enjoy her freedom? How can Lyla say that Felicity will be fine?

Things are truly desperate when Felicity's only ally appears to be Rene. I have to say, I liked their team-up this episode. Also, since he was a significant factor in contributing to the destruction of Oliver & Felicity's family last season, it's only right that he help restore their family this season. Dinah continues to be annoyingly self-righteous ("If this is illegal, I don't want to know about it."). She only reluctantly agrees to help and only because Agent Watson agreed. And Curtis is happy as a clam with how things are now.

Some good, thoughtful conversations between Felicity and Watson.

It is interesting to see how Oliver and Felicity are each turning darker and more ruthless as they become more desperate. It's arguably a regression for Oliver, but a dark progression for Felicity. Oliver stabbed a couple of corrupt prison guards. Felicity lied to both Agent Watson and Dinah (it could be argued that she manipulated Watson). Whether intentionally or not, Felicity managed to simultaneously use and punish Agent Watson in this episode.

Oliver & Felicity really have no choice. Diaz isn't a priority for ARGUS. Diaz isn't a priority for the FBI. The SCPD is useless. No one is prioritizing going after Diaz and the Longbow Hunters other than Oliver & Felicity because everyone else's life is fine.

In the show's ongoing, albeit fruitless, quest to make Diaz scary, they've not only surrounded him with three assassins, but they've also now injected him with some kind of mirakuru-like super strength drug! As for what this drug is, Felicity had backtraced the Silencer's hack and found out that she had been checking inventory on "glutathione hydrate." (Felicity: "It's a biocompound that helps protect red blood cells against diseases like ebola and the lassa fever. I mean, God knows what creepy thing Diaz has planned for that, and the only place he can get it is the CDC.") She also found out that a shipment of this biocompound just came in from Central City to the CDC, so that's why they had to set the trap that night. Now it's not clear if it's this biocompound that Diaz stole and injected into himself, but it makes sense that it would be, because the script took the time to explain it.

Here's my big question for this episode: Once Diaz and the Longbow Hunters were spotted at the CDC, why didn't Watson, Rene and Dinah just sneak up on them and shoot them all with sedative darts or tasers? They would've taken them by surprise. No need for one-on-one fights. One, two, three, four, done. Oliver could've taken them all down with four sedative-laden arrows, if he wasn't in prison.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 13

I marathoned last season over the weekend to get caught up. And, man, Diaz's Pacino voice grates. I  keep waiting for him to yell, "Hoo-ah, I'm just gettin' warmed up!"

I love prison Oliver. There has to be something going on with Stanley. I don't trust him.

Have they lightened up Dinah's makeup? She doesn't have raccoon eyes any more.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Forgot to mention earlier, but I found it so heartbreaking when Felicity says she jumps when a door slams. 

I just wish she hadn't said it to only Watson. I feel like the others don't understand what Felicity's going through at all.  

I don't think they need felicity  to explain anything.. All of them have been thru a trauma or two... Rene lost his wife and the mother of his child.. And didn't have custody of  his own kid... Dinah saw the love of her life murdered in front of her Digg has been thru the ringer for like 6 years so...  Not downplaying felicity's fear or pain and I have com around to thinking that just telling felicity to chill is pretty patronizing.. But I also don't want to try and make her pain any greater than anything anyone has ever been thru... I feel the show did a disservice to its plot by having Diaz just appear and attack felicity without showing him work for it... It once again made the folks who can't stand Diaz feel like he's a villainous Gary stupid and made Argus look like they weren't even trying which is not what I think they were going for

44 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

I don't think they need felicity  to explain anything.. All of them have been thru a trauma or two... Rene lost his wife and the mother of his child.. And didn't have custody of  his own kid... Dinah saw the love of her life murdered in front of her Digg has been thru the ringer for like 6 years so...  Not downplaying felicity's fear or pain and I have com around to thinking that just telling felicity to chill is pretty patronizing.. But I also don't want to try and make her pain any greater than anything anyone has ever been thru... I feel the show did a disservice to its plot by having Diaz just appear and attack felicity without showing him work for it... It once again made the folks who can't stand Diaz feel like he's a villainous Gary stupid and made Argus look like they weren't even trying which is not what I think they were going for

Who said that Felicity's fear or pain needs to be made "greater than anyone has ever been thru"? It'd be nice if she could have a talk with her alleged friends about what she's feeling, that's all. Dinah got more screen time about her woman pain over Vince getting his brain melted than Felicity has had to talk about the worst villain alive trying to kill her and William. Diggle's over here giving her useless little talks about how Oliver's not coming home any time soon. Rene seems to be at least somewhat concerned, but some of that seems to stem from him wanting to "get the gang back together" or whatever he called it. 

• Love 19
2 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Who said that Felicity's fear or pain needs to be made "greater than anyone has ever been thru"? It'd be nice if she could have a talk with her alleged friends about what she's feeling, that's all. Dinah got more screen time about her woman pain over Vince getting his brain melted than Felicity has had to talk about the worst villain alive trying to kill her and William. Diggle's over here giving her useless little talks about how Oliver's not coming home any time soon. Rene seems to be at least somewhat concerned, but some of that seems to stem from him wanting to "get the gang back together" or whatever he called it. 

Yep, this.

I still can't get over the fact that Watson seemed to understand and be willing to listen to Felicity and what she's going through more in this episode than any of her friends in the last 2 episodes. Yes, Watson told her to enjoy her freedom (which, ugh), but that didn't bother me as much as Diggle telling her to move on because Diggle should know that moving on isn't possible for Felicity. 

I just think it would be harder for Felicity's supposed friends to be acting like they have in 702/703 if they were around when Felicity said she jumps when a door slams--which happens quite often in everyday life. 

(I may still also be a bit bitter that Rene is treating Felicity the best out of everyone. I still hate him for everything he did in S6, but I can't help but wonder if anyone else even cares where Felicity's living right now. Maybe Diggle offered up his couch and she said no because she's doing things her way, but I honestly don't know after 702. Maybe she said no because she doesn't want to risk his family. Maybe he didn't ask because he doesn't want to risk his family.) 

• Love 8

I don't mind the Arrowverse shows sharing stages/locations/workers to save money. But I can't stand when entirely unrelated CW shows share plots. Riverdale just had Archie fighting in an illegal fight club while wrongly imprisoned. Now Oliver is doing the same! It was bad enough they both have a copy of the Count of Monte Cristo while being wrongly imprisoned. You don't have to bludgeon your audience over the head CW; we get it already. *sigh*

I'm still trying to deal with Cheryl Blossom turning into Riverdale's Arsenal. (Katniss better watch out for that HBIC!)

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I don't follow the forums as closely as I use to.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Rene also contributed to everything Felicity going through. She had to already live through thinking Oliver died in s3. Then she had to watch her ex bf die infront of her. Because everybody from Diggle, Rene, Dinah and Curtis contributed to the hell Felicity, William and Oliver are living through. Without even say they sorry. So you can miss me with your dismissing of what Felicity is going through. I mean you can call Vincent the love of Dinahs life but threw her in a ditch. Rene did nothing to get his daughter just waited on the help of others.

But i did see something set in place especially in this episode that i hope will be adressed in the future.

• Love 8

Watching this episode, I couldn't help but feel like the show wanted me to think that Felicity was crossing a line by doing everything in her power to help catch or kill Diaz but I was screaming things like "kill him Felicity. Kill this mofo". So, it didn't work. 

u19ASK61Fq2EE.gif

• Love 22
8 hours ago, TwistedandBored said:

Watching this episode, I couldn't help but feel like the show wanted me to think that Felicity was crossing a line by doing everything in her power to help catch or kill Diaz but I was screaming things like "kill him Felicity. Kill this mofo". So, it didn't work. 

Just like when we were supposed to be shocked and appalled when Oliver let Stanley get beaten in 701. This show severely overestimates my moral compass, LOL. Honestly, at this point, I want him and Felicity to burn down the world to get back to each other. I don't really care who else has to suffer, and that includes their so-called "friends."

• Love 24

Yeah, it's like when Turner was giving a version of the "we're not so different, you and I" speech and how we're supposed to be shocked when Oliver got himself sent to Level Two. Beating up people who beat him up first, getting an officer moved instead of killing him by stabbing himself, and giving non-lethal injuries to guards who are following Brick and were betting on criminals fighting each other doesn't really sway me towards "oh, Oliver's really doing what he needs to survive here." It's more of, "Oliver's pretty good at staying Oliver in the midst of prison." That will probably change in the next few episodes or so, but now it seems really easy to stay supportive of what both Felicity and Oliver are doing right now.

• Love 12
On 10/30/2018 at 11:11 AM, Lunula said:

So let me get this straight...Brick, the guy who has been farking with Oliver the entire time he's been in prison, tells him, after another foiled attempt on his life, that he has to go to Level 2 to find "Demon" and Oliver immediately believes him, stabs a guard (giving himself a longer sentence in the process) to get to Level 2? He doesn't even question what Brick is saying to him might not be true and he's just doing it to get rid of Oliver? ARG!!!

Second, Felicity was off in this episode. The dialogue and acting seemed forced and weird. 

Third, every single time Dinah gets into a fight, I wish for her death. I intensely dislike the actress and character and every story she is in. 

The prison stuff makes no sense. None.

And I used to think EBR was a good actress, but her scenes in the last few episodes have been terrible. I don't know what's going on, but "forced and weird" doesn't do it justice.

• Love 2
On 10/30/2018 at 10:21 AM, Mellowyellow said:

They've got me in a really happy place with Stanley. If he turns out to be a baddie I'll be like "Yeah I expected that, he did seem a tad shifty."

If he's not a baddie then he can just be Oliver's cute little prison friend which I'm totally cool with too.

My gut says that Stanley isn't a bad guy BUT that he will not manage to stay a good guy while in prison and thus at some point will betray Oliver, probably next time we see him (assuming they don't interact while Oliver is in Lvl 2

18 hours ago, sarthaz said:

The prison stuff makes no sense. None.

And I used to think EBR was a good actress, but her scenes in the last few episodes have been terrible. I don't know what's going on, but "forced and weird" doesn't do it justice.

I've found that EBR has brought a great deal of depth and nuance to her scenes.  I can go back and rewatch them and see so many emotions play over her face and in her body language.  I love that we don't see Felicity calmly making her case but that her fear and anger shakes her passionately.  She's quaking with rage over the injustice that Diaz is still being allowed to roam free while she's separated from everything she's loved.  She's choked by all the emotions washing over her at any one time.  She's not the least bit detached. 

I've heard some complain they don't like the tone of her voice when EBR speaks forcibly during emotional scenes, but I have to say I find it extremely realistic.  If I'm trying to talk when I'm that caught up in emotions, that's what I would sound like. 

Sometimes I feel that the complaint is less about good acting skill than not accepting that someone could be both presented as strong and forceful while clearly gripped by emotions that are threatening to take away her voice.  It's the kind of thing I think some would be fine with if it was presented as her heading toward hysterical, but not as a scene where she's emotional and there to own her power. 

I feel there's a stigma still attached to emotional displays. Specifically how women might authentically react. Like, when I get really angry, tears threaten to come out (and often do) but instead of paying attention to the anger, at that point, I think we in society have been trained to see the hint of tears and dismiss the credibility of the one dealing with them.   Like we're not supposed to buy that there can be strength and credibility behind it.  That emotions must come out in a much more narrow, and controlled range of what is acceptable or not to be acceptable.      

So I think yes we have seen a Felicity onscreen that is different than the one we are used to but that how she got to this place where she is laser-focused on doing what needs to be done while still being just ready to scream and howl with grief feels very authentic and relatable.    So many layers to her performance.  

Felicity: "Frak. Frak. Frak. Frak."
Rene: "Make better sounds, Felicity."

It occurred to me that Rene has stopped calling her Blondie.  Not sure he ever addressed her by name before this season.  (Except when referring to her in the third person or in his wedding toast)

• Love 17

I hate myself for buying into the redemption of Rene but the more I think about it, it makes sense. He was the snitch who betrayed Oliver and got the ball rolling on the FBI investigation, came at Oliver with an axe etc. I see him going along with Felicity's plans not only because he's pro Vigilante but also maybe subconsciously he feels bad for being trash so he's rolling along with all of Felicity's ideas to try and make up for his betrayal in S6. 

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I've found that EBR has brought a great deal of depth and nuance to her scenes.  I can go back and rewatch them and see so many emotions play over her face and in her body language.  I love that we don't see Felicity calmly making her case but that her fear and anger shakes her passionately.  She's quaking with rage over the injustice that Diaz is still being allowed to roam free while she's separated from everything she's loved.  She's choked by all the emotions washing over her at any one time.  She's not the least bit detached.

Tbh my favorite bit was when Watson told Felicity she's a good person and you just know she's not agreeing with that in the moment

58 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It occurred to me that Rene has stopped calling her Blondie.  Not sure he ever addressed her by name before this season.  (Except when referring to her in the third person or in his wedding toast)

I think the same goes for him using "Hoss," nary one in sight in my memory

• Love 5

I really liked that brief cold open. Good choice there. I also enjoyed the shot of people fighting in the background while Diaz is at the forefront lazilly stowing away his loot, looking like the complete moron he's proven himself to be. He is also so damn extra. I was howling at that shot and the hurting from betrayal line. 

On 30. 10. 2018. at 2:32 AM, KenyaJ said:

I feel like Lyla and Diggle have been having the same fight about the compromises Lyla has do make to do her job for the past 4 years. Each time, Diggle ends up apologizing for being so judgmental, but then it’s wash, rinse, repeat. IDK why this time will be different, but hopefully it makes Diggle reevaluate sitting on the sidelines in the effort to get Diaz.

I don't know whether to take the fact it happened early on in the season as a sign that the writers got it off their plates soon or that it might actually effing lead to something for once. The only good thing about that mess was Lyla's outfit. Damn. I started drafting an Ocean's 8 type scenario with her and Felicity dressed to the nines. 

On 30. 10. 2018. at 2:39 AM, Angel12d said:

Also JH was painfully bad in some of her scenes. I swear she's getting worse. 

Like her sashaying to go after the Silencer? What was that?

On 30. 10. 2018. at 6:17 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Funnily enough, it actually looked really heavy to me in the when she and Felicity were waiting to see what consequences Watson would face.

• Love 4
On 10/30/2018 at 1:17 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Her makeup appears to be heavier this season, I noticed it right off the bat in the premiere. It's not just the eyes but the entire face. It's very made up. She looked a bit more natural (if that's possible on TV) last season. Maybe Harkavy has a new makeup artist? It's a bit distracting especially when she's sharing a scene with the others. 

• Love 6

That wasn't a bad episode, but it all felt somehow off. I love that Felicity and Oliver are so driven to help each other, and that its driving them further and further down the rabbit hole, and that is all really interesting, and I love seeing them working almost in tandem, despite being far away from each other. I always like seeing Lyla, and NTA were in the background for the most part, which is where they should be if they insist on still existing. However, I just was not that interested. It just seemed like a same old same old episode, doing beats that we have already seen before, and done better. 

I like that EBR is doing a really good job right now, even with the awkward lines she has to say sometimes. She seems like she is constantly about to cry or start screaming, which seems to be a legit reaction to everything happening. It really is a sad state of affairs, when Rene, the guy who started all of this crap, is the only one who actually seems to still care that her life is ruined and Oliver is rotting away in prison. And this episode actually made Agent Watson decently likable, and showed her perspective in a way that made sense. Maybe it helped that the actress was actually allowed to show some expressions besides smug. Also, Felicity called Watson her son! Awwwww! Although, I do question what she plans to do with the woman she captured. I thought torturing was more Oliver's thing. 

I cracked up at the needle woman being like "its so inhumane" at the idea of using rats in experiments. I really like these guys, who do I have to put up with Diaz to hang out with them? Oh my God, I do NOT CARE ABOUT DIAZ! So, now he can be a poor mans Slade? Wow, its amazing how that still doesn't make him a threat! This guy is just a whiny loser, and no super strength is going to change that, or make me believe that he is some super badass. 

I just cant stand Curtis, his rambling babbling is such a pain in the ass, even when he isnt being an actual asshole. He has no professionalism, he cant do anything without yammering, even in an intense situation, and I just cant stand having him around. I get that he is supposed to be our geekie comic relief, but it fails because not only is he an asshole, but he has no idea when to actually be serious and get to the point, unlike the rest of the Arrowverse comic relief dorks. Most of them actually know when to be serious, while Curtis will just ramble on over and over, being the actual worst. 

Mentioning the suicide squad just makes it even more baffling that John has so thoroughly drank the ARGUS kool aid. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, bijoux said:

That was so weird that, until other people mentioned it, I actually thought I'd imagined it. I assume she was going for "badass cop" and hit closer to "lunatic who has confused an empty CDC hallway with a runway." 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

That was so weird that, until other people mentioned it, I actually thought I'd imagined it. I assume she was going for "badass cop" and hit closer to "lunatic who has confused an empty CDC hallway with a runway." 

Not the first time. There was a scene in the premiere where she slinked inside the interrogation room and I thought she was going to seduce the bad guy but no, it was just Dinah being Dinah, smoldering and slinking in all the wrong places. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, bijoux said:

I don't even know anymore. I think it's just another case of her trying too hard. And like @SmallScreenDiva said, this is not the first time she looks like she wants to seduce someone and it's not even the right scene for it. I swear she could have a scene with a lamp and look like she wants to kiss or flirt with it. ?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I don't even know anymore. I think it's just another case of her trying too hard. And like @SmallScreenDiva said, this is not the first time she looks like she wants to seduce someone and it's not even the right scene for it. I swear she could have a scene with a lamp and look like she wants to kiss or flirt with it. ?

I swear in her second episode, didn't she have a scene with a vase where it looked like she was about to make out with it?

• Love 4
13 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I've heard some complain they don't like the tone of her voice when EBR speaks forcibly during emotional scenes, but I have to say I find it extremely realistic.  If I'm trying to talk when I'm that caught up in emotions, that's what I would sound like. 

Sometimes I feel that the complaint is less about good acting skill than not accepting that someone could be both presented as strong and forceful while clearly gripped by emotions that are threatening to take away her voice.  It's the kind of thing I think some would be fine with if it was presented as her heading toward hysterical, but not as a scene where she's emotional and there to own her power. 

I feel there's a stigma still attached to emotional displays. Specifically how women might authentically react. Like, when I get really angry, tears threaten to come out (and often do) but instead of paying attention to the anger, at that point, I think we in society have been trained to see the hint of tears and dismiss the credibility of the one dealing with them.   Like we're not supposed to buy that there can be strength and credibility behind it.  That emotions must come out in a much more narrow, and controlled range of what is acceptable or not to be acceptable.      

So I think yes we have seen a Felicity onscreen that is different than the one we are used to but that how she got to this place where she is laser-focused on doing what needs to be done while still being just ready to scream and howl with grief feels very authentic and relatable.    So many layers to her performance.  

I don't disagree with your perspective on what her character is going through. I just don't believe her performance. Personal taste, I guess. What you see as layered comes across as the same note over and over to me, and it doesn't feel authentic. I think you've done a good job articulating your position, and I'm not sure where to begin analyzing the specifics of my feelings on this, only to say that I don't have a problem with the approach as much as the execution. I just don't feel her performance when I'm watching, which is surprising because she tends to bring it in spite of some really bad writing most of the time.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I swear in her second episode, didn't she have a scene with a vase where it looked like she was about to make out with it?

Haha, I think so? It's something she tries in all of her scenes. With Diggle in S6 and she was even flirty with BS in 702. And the scene in 701 where she first walks in as Captain I was like "Dial it back. He's a perp. You're not supposed to be flirting with him." ?

I think she just tries too hard that she's not aware she's doing it. At least, I kinda hope that's the case. ?

• Love 1

But she's  just the best! It took SVU's Olivia Benson 19 seasons to become a lieutenant; Dinah became captain in 1 1/2.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:30 AM, BkWurm1 said:

It is still almost impossible for a woman to hit the right emotional note to be both believed and respected.

Writer Rebecca Traister pointed out that America was created out of male anger (the Boston Tea Party) but almost 250 years later, women still are not allowed to express theirs.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

But she's  just the best! It took SVU's Olivia Benson 16 seasons to become a lieutenant; Dinah became captain in 1 1/2.

It is still almost impossible for a woman to hit the right emotional note to be both believed and respected.

Writer Rebecca Traister pointed out that America was created out of male anger (the Boston Tea Party) but almost 250 years later, women still are not allowed to express theirs.

And the male version of anger and outrage is often considered the "acceptable" way to express those emotions.  But I don't think that style is even always physically possible to translate across genders.  Like a deep booming voice to underscore the outrage is welcome but a loud woman, where volume and or emotion often brings the voice up some octaves, is dismissed as shrill.    

I loved the way Felicity was able to express her emotions last season in Reversal to Oliver in the loft but only because it was right for the scene between them at that point be quieter and more intimate.  But I suspect that that style of seeing Felicity express her emotions for any situation would be more popular among some for any situation.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Angel12d said:

True, but I felt this took it to a different level. I was afraid she was going to dislocate a hip with how much she was throwing them around. Maybe that’s how she became captain, the precinct held a pageant and her cat walk left the other candidates in the dust.

• Love 2

Finally watched the last 2 episodes.  Monday is turning out to be a bad day for me.

This season is starting off ok.  The only problem I run into every year is there are too many characters.  This show doesn't need and can't write for this many.  Curtis is a poor version of Felicity.  Dinah is just boring and not needed.  They just should have hired another actor with better charisma that shows up when needed.  Rene, even thou he is alot better than the last 2 season, he is a very poor replacement for Diggle who (I can't believe i am saying this) is annoying the crap out of me right now.  This better change soon.

I am invested in Oliver which I thought for sure I would get sick of in jail but turns out I am liking it - now I think this should be wrapped up soon or I will get sick of the constant brawling.

I am invested in Felicity.  I want to see how far she will actually go.  People who lose everything will go pretty far to get it back.

I am also liking the flash forwards.  I am interested to see where they are going with this.

Now Diaz.  What a poor excuse for a villain.  I can't take anything this guy does seriously.  He is so boring, I still can't understand half the crap that comes out of his mouth, and now I have a wanna be Slade with injections.  I hated that story the first time around but at least Slade was batshit crazy, this guy makes me wanna take a nooze.  These writers will never convince me he is this smart, vicious villain.  Please tell there is someone else coming because this can not be it.

• Love 7
On 10/29/2018 at 8:39 PM, Angel12d said:

I flinched when Oliver broke/dislocated his arm/shoulder. Ouch!

Yeah, I thought that was really well done too! Was it just me though, or did they have the wrong arm in a sling when Oliver was being marched past the cells on his way to level 2? I'm almost positive he dislocated the left but it was his right arm in the sling.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:01 PM, apinknightmare said:

Barry fucked the timeline again, way to go Barry. 

WINNER!!!! Lmao, that was too good.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:17 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Watson was way better here then she was in the past at least, but it is still jarring how Sydelle Noel is so charismatic and lively as Cherry on GLOW, but still kind of dull here.

Holy shit! I can't believe I didn't realize they are one and the same! I totally see it now and feel foolish, lol. Like many, I've really turned the corner on my opinion of Agent Watson as well and for what it's worth, Agent Watson>Misty Knight

Kirk Acevedo is trying, but he just makes Diaz come off like a whiny child half of the time.

. Yeah, I usually like him but this type of character isn't his strength. It doesn't help that "Diaz" is horribly conceived and constructed.

-BTW, has it been established when Oliver's "sidekick" did to land in a "supermax" prison?

-He said he was framed for murder. 

-there is some informant known as the "Demon" there.  Who could it be?!

When he and Oliver were having their little heart to heart just before the guards came to take Ollie down to Level 2 and he said something along the lines of "you'll never survive down there.", for some reason I thought "You're the Demon!" It might be a stretch and I know I could be wrong but there has to be something more to his story than a simple case of mistaken identity and wrongful conviction...The other thought I had was maybe he's actually a figment of Oliver's imagination; a coping mechanism and/or manifestation of his conscience to keep him grounded and help him see clearly and think things through. In the first episode when Brick and the boys were giving him the beat down and the guards were in no rush to stop it, maybe it was still Oliver all along; it would explain why he was able to walk away and ignore it so easily. It's a reach and I'm probably way off, but is it possible? I'm trying to remember if anyone else has had any kind of interaction with him or if Oliver is the only one.

It seems like this is an "everything and the kitchen sink" season as far as villains go. Diaz as a holdover from last year, The Longbow Hunters (I haven't read the comic origin yet but it seems like the show just wanted to make use of a well established name), The Prison "Demon", Brick and everyone The Hood/Arrow helped put away, whoever Lyla is dealing with and whatever they're up to....Even Agent Watson's FBI boss seemed shady to me. I just hope it's not a mess and all ties in well.

On 11/1/2018 at 7:56 PM, BkWurm1 said:
On 11/1/2018 at 5:06 PM, Angel12d said:

I swear she could have a scene with a lamp and look like she wants to kiss or flirt with it. ?

Maybe they're setting her up to be pansexual? LOL

Edited by Daltrey

On the one hand, nobody ever accused Oliver of being a Mensa candidate but this whole Level 2/Demon nonsense is just such obvious nonsense I can't believe he's pursuing it. Oh wait, I can. Because he's really really dumb. Let's ponder him attacking guards, getting what I assume is extra time in prison and blowing his chance of getting out to his family so he can... find Diaz from within prison. You know the one thing Diaz definitely isn't? IN PRISON. 

On 30/10/2018 at 12:08 PM, apinknightmare said:

I thought the prison stuff was going to be awful, but I just love prison Oliver to pieces.

Me too. I assume it's Amell because he just so completely understands this character and he's one of the few actors left on the show with any gravitas. 

On 30/10/2018 at 12:32 PM, KenyaJ said:

I feel like Lyla and Diggle have been having the same fight about the compromises Lyla has do make to do her job for the past 4 years. Each time, Diggle ends up apologizing for being so judgmental, but then it’s wash, rinse, repeat.

What made this argument so tiresome was that she didn't tell him, then when he confronted her she said 'I thought you of all people would understand!" and I'm like, "yeah, he would and you know he would so why didn't you tell him?" This is like the silly conflict generated between Felicity and Oliver last season - generated entirely for the conflict. 

On 30/10/2018 at 1:26 PM, JamieLynn832002 said:

Mirakuru: The Sequel, now with more lameness? 

Mirakuru was exactly what I was thinking of. But I was struggling with the right word for my problem with its portrayal. You've hit on it - lameness. Really, really lame. 

On 30/10/2018 at 1:39 PM, apinknightmare said:

He said he was framed for murder. 

He's the Demon. Obvs. 

On 31/10/2018 at 2:11 AM, Lunula said:

*sigh*

On 31/10/2018 at 2:53 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And just why is that Stanley, who can’t shut the fuck up, stalking Oliver? More importantly, why is Oliver letting him hang around? 

Because he's the Demon. Obvs.

On 31/10/2018 at 3:40 PM, TwistedandBored said:

I don't know why Diggle didn't put a bullet in his head last episode. He had the shot. Instead he just pointed his gun, stared meaningfully at him and then let him get away.

On 01/11/2018 at 12:11 AM, way2interested said:

Yeah, it's like when Turner was giving a version of the "we're not so different, you and I" speech and how we're supposed to be shocked when Oliver got himself sent to Level Two. 

I was shocked because... it's all just so dumb. 

On 01/11/2018 at 4:12 AM, sarthaz said:

We are alone and lonely but I agree. I think she's struggling and her performance is strangely one note. I felt the same thing at the end of last season. Sometimes I think I can tell when EBR isn't happy with her character's direction and I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those circumstances. She always seems more comfortable in the role when Felicity and Oliver are working together as a team. Whenever they separate them or try to do a "Felicity goes dark" storyline, her acting seems forced. To me. 

On 02/11/2018 at 12:34 PM, sarthaz said:

I don't disagree with your perspective on what her character is going through. I just don't believe her performance. Personal taste, I guess. What you see as layered comes across as the same note over and over to me, and it doesn't feel authentic. I think you've done a good job articulating your position, and I'm not sure where to begin analyzing the specifics of my feelings on this, only to say that I don't have a problem with the approach as much as the execution. I just don't feel her performance when I'm watching, which is surprising because she tends to bring it in spite of some really bad writing most of the time.

I agree although again I think we're alone. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Sometimes I think I can tell when EBR isn't happy with her character's direction and I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those circumstances. She always seems more comfortable in the role when Felicity and Oliver are working together as a team. Whenever they separate them or try to do a "Felicity goes dark" storyline, her acting seems forced. To me. 

It's always been super clear that her base is comedy and that's what she likes doing and is best at. However, in this case, the opinion of how she's doing in these scenes can't really be based on her not liking them since, unless she's outright lying about her own personal opinion, EBR's favorite Felicity stuff is usually stuff when Felicity is working independent of Oliver, like wheelchair stuff, the Helix arc, and this arc in 7a.

• Love 3
On Friday, November 02, 2018 at 12:56 AM, BkWurm1 said:

I'm not sure if JH is doing it on purpose but I don't think she's unaware/trying to change it either, it's been going on too long for that and not in an "hey I just have chemistry with everyone" way. To me she comes off as trying way too hard both on the show and on SM. That might not be fair or what she and her team want but the whole thing seems a bit desperate. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, AudienceofOne said:

Sometimes I think I can tell when EBR isn't happy with her character's direction and I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those circumstances.

Opinions about people's performances are completely subjective, so I'm not even going to quibble with that, but I will say I can't remember a time when Emily has ever seemed more into her storyline, as evidenced from all the publicity she's been doing and her self-confessed excitement about the things she's getting to do in the early part of the season. 

• Love 9

See I don't watch any BTS stuff, I just watch the show. So I could be wrong about the why. But my subjective assessment of her acting stays the same. I'm finding it laboured and one note. But then I often find that the writers decide a character is going to be one way during a certain arc and then all their scenes are of them being that one way. So I could probably say the same thing about Dinah or Diggle. But I'm finding that when Felicity goes for anger she clenches her jaw and then delivers her lines from her throat in a way I find jarring. Again, it's a personal perception of course. 

On 11/3/2018 at 5:29 AM, AudienceofOne said:

What made this argument so tiresome was that she didn't tell him, then when he confronted her she said 'I thought you of all people would understand!" and I'm like, "yeah, he would and you know he would so why didn't you tell him?"

What I'd say made this argument so tiresome is that Lyla acted like she didn't even hear a word Diggle said. Lyla just threw the old "you've been a vigilante, how DARE you judge me!" at Diggle for the 50th time to shut the guy down with misplaced guilt. All the while Lyla completely missed the point Diggle was actually making. His problem wasn't what she did so much as the fact that Lyla didn't trust her own husband enough to let him in on what she was doing, which if she had Diggle would have been 100% behind her. Somehow, Diggle ends up being the one having to apologize for the fact that Lyla was risking compromising an Op so she could go behind her own husband's back and thus Diggle deciding to investigate when he finds evidence she's up to something.

3 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

What I'd say made this argument so tiresome is that Lyla acted like she didn't even hear a word Diggle said. Lyla just threw the old "you've been a vigilante, how DARE you judge me!" at Diggle for the 50th time to shut the guy down with misplaced guilt. All the while Lyla completely missed the point Diggle was actually making. His problem wasn't what she did so much as the fact that Lyla didn't trust her own husband enough to let him in on what she was doing, which if she had Diggle would have been 100% behind her. Somehow, Diggle ends up being the one having to apologize for the fact that Lyla was risking compromising an Op so she could go behind her own husband's back and thus Diggle deciding to investigate when he finds evidence she's up to something.

This is the same thing Oliver has done to Felicity countless times. Yet when Felicity makes it known she's a bitch in the eyes of some of the audience.

• Love 3

703 (Crossing Lines) – Oliver Queen’s voiceover intro:
Oliver (voiceover): "My name is Oliver Queen. After six years of being a vigilante, the only way to achieve my goal and save my city was to confess to being the Green Arrow. Now my family and friends must carry on my mission without me. I am no longer a hero. I am Inmate 4587."

703 (Crossing Lines) – Felicity tries to persuade Agent Samanda Watson to let her help the FBI find Ricardo Diaz:
Felicity: "You promised that the FBI would stay in Star City until Diaz was off the board."
Watson: "And, as you can see, we're still here.
Felicity: "Yeah, but you haven't caught him."
Watson: "Apprehending Diaz is still a priority, but he's not the only criminal on our list."
Felicity: "Let me help."
Watson: "Excuse me?"
Felicity: "You've seen what I can do with the 'tck, tck.'"
Watson: "We have our own experts, Ms. Smoak."
Felicity: "But not as expert as me. I know everything there is to know about Diaz. And the Longbow Hunters. Yeah! They're here, too. Diaz brought in the bad guy big guns, which means you don't have any more time to waste. So give me a computer and put me to work."
Watson: "My agreement with your husband, it gives you immunity. It doesn't make us allies."
Felicity: "Diaz attacked me while I was in protective custody. My husband is in prison. I had to send my son away. Your deal with Oliver ruined my life and the city's. All I'm asking of you is to hold up your side of the bargain."
Watson: "I'm sorry you were attacked. But it's not my fault your husband's in prison. It was his choice to put on that hood, and it was his choice to turn himself in. Go home. Enjoy your freedom. Leave the crime-fighting to me."
Felicity: "My husband spent the last six years fighting for the people of this city, risking everything, and now he sits in prison, his life on the line, while this monster gets to walk free. That isn't justice."

703 (Crossing Lines) – We learn that Felicity put a surveillance bug in Agent Watson's office; we also learn that she has been staying at Rene's apartment:
Felicity: "I guess her heart isn't completely made out of stone."
Rene: "Bugging the FBI - maybe not the best move for our immunity deal."
Felicity: "I'm going with the 'ask for forgiveness instead of permission' type thing."
Rene: "When you said you were done with the A.R.G.U.S. way, you weren't joking."
Felicity: "John has priorities other than catching Diaz. I don't. I really appreciate you wanting to help. And letting me sleep on your couch, which is a lot more comfortable than it looks."
Rene: "I've been dying to get the band back together and get that son of a bitch Diaz. What's he want at the CDC?"
Felicity: "Finding that out is the easy part."
Rene: "What's the hard part?"
Felicity: "Getting into the CDC. You heard the boss man. The only way we get in there is with federal clearance."

703 (Crossing Lines) – Felicity and Rene convince Agent Watson and Dinah to help them set a trap for Diaz at the CDC: 
Dinah: "If this is illegal, I don't want to know about it."
Rene: "Aww, D, why you always got to expect the worst?"
Watson: "You make it easy, Mr. Ramirez."
Dinah: "Okay, okay. What the hell is going on here?"
Felicity: "We know how to get Diaz, and we need your help."
Watson: "I thought I made myself clear, Ms. Smoak."
Felicity: "You did. And then I figured out how to set a trap at the CDC."
Watson: "How did you know about this -?"
Felicity: "I bugged your office."
Watson: "See -"
Felicity: "I know, I know, but hold the lecture. We're on a time crunch here. I backtraced the Silencer's hack."
Rene: "Wait. We're calling her the Silencer now?"
Felicity: "It's better than the Belt Lady."
Rene: "Noted."
Felicity: "She's been checking inventory on glutathione hydrate. It's a biocompound that helps protect red blood cells against diseases like ebola and the lassa fever. I mean, God knows what creepy thing Diaz has planned for that, and the only place he can get it is the CDC."
Watson: "You do realize the CDC is a secure government facility. They have strict protocols, proce -"
Felicity: "Which makes it the perfect place, you know, to set a trap. The compound is being stored in a biocontainment lab. Diaz walks in there, I seal the doors (Snaps fingers) - he's locked in."
Rene: "Like that zombie movie - or any zombie movie."
Dinah: "And when is this happening?"
Felicity: "Tonight. A shipment just came in from Central City."
Dinah: "Well, I'll put a team together. Diaz goes near that building, the S.C.P.D. will be there waiting."
Rene: "If Diaz even gets a whiff of the police, it'll spook him."
Dinah: "Oh, right. You want to do it the vigilante way. Well, you probably shouldn't have invited her." (Points to Watson)
Rene: "No Canary. No Wild Dog. Just us."
Felicity: "It technically wouldn't be off the books if Agent Watson comes with us."
Watson: "And go against my boss' direct order to stay away from the CDC?"
Felicity: "Your boss is wrong, and you know it. Besides, something tells me that if you brought Diaz in, all would be forgiven."
Watson: "That's a big 'if.'"
Felicity: "Diaz has been a plague on this city and on our lives for too long. And now we have a chance to bring him down. We have to take it. It's been five months. The S.C.P.D. hasn't caught him. Neither has the FBI. Neither has A.R.G.U.S. It's time to try another way."
Watson: "Fine. But this is a one-time thing, understand? And if anything feels off, I pull the plug."
Rene: "What do you say, D?"
Dinah: "Alright."
Rene: "Let's go catch us a Dragon."

703 (Crossing Lines) – Agent Watson, Felicity, Rene and Dinah (all wearing FBI jackets) go to the CDC to try to capture Diaz; Diaz and the Longbow Hunters arrive to steal some vials of the compound, but manage to escape:
Watson: "Good evening. Samanda Watson, FBI. I'm here to pick up some security abstracts."
CDC Guard: "You're working late."
Watson: "Day got away from me. You know how it is."
CDC Guard: "Door to the right. I'll buzz you in."
Felicity: "The biocontainment lab should be right here. This is it."
Rene: "So all we have to do is trap them inside."
Felicity: "That's the idea."
Watson: "There's a server room down the hall. Felicity and I will set up there."
Felicity: "The camera's on a loop. As far as Diaz can tell, the place will be empty."
Dinah (to Rene): "We'll cover the exits."
Watson: "This is quite the set-up."
Felicity: "Well, the CDC takes their security a lot more seriously than the FBI. No offense."
Watson: "None taken. You thought about getting into cyber security legally?"
Felicity: "I haven't done legally in a very long time."
Watson: "What scared you off? All that nasty due process?"
Felicity: "You mean the rolls and rolls of red tape? No, I just prefer to spend my time actually catching criminals."
Watson: "I know the law isn't perfect."
Felicity: "If it were, Diaz would be in prison, William would be at home, and I wouldn't jump five feet every time I hear a door slam. But here we are."
Watson: "Just because the system is flawed doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Even someone like Ricardo Diaz needs a lawyer, a fair trial. We protect the rights of people who don't deserve them because it's the only way to protect them for everyone."
Felicity: "And yet here you are tonight going off-book."
Watson: "Well, it's like you said before, as long as I cuff a bad guy, all is forgiven, right? And then we go get justice the old-fashioned way. In court."
Felicity: "Let's hope."
Rene (over comms): "I got eyes on Diaz, and he brought two psychos with him."
Watson (over comms): "Any chance they left the third one at home?"
Dinah (over comms): "It's doubtful. The Silencer wouldn't want to miss this."
Rene (over comms): "They've reached the lab. Hold up. The zombies just walked right in. No key card or nothing."
Felicity: "That doesn't make any sense."
Watson: "It doesn't matter. Just lock the doors."
Felicity: "Frak. Frak. Frak. Frak."
Rene (over comms): "Make better sounds, Felicity."
Felicity: "Whatever's opening that door is jamming my access frequencies. It's some sort of sonic disruption."
Rene (over comms): "The coms are still working.
Felicity: "Well, how about I save the details of acoustic-injection cyber attacks for post-mission happy hour?"
Dinah (over comms): "The Silencer. She must've brought a new toy."
Watson: "Can you turn it off?"
Felicity: "I can't hack it, but I can track it. She's in the northeast corridor, headed towards the mechanical room."
Dinah (over comms): "I'm on it. But once I catch up to her, it'll be radio silence, literally."
Rene (over comms): "Diaz is packing up. We got to hurry."
Watson: "Time for Plan 'B'."
Felicity: "No, no, no. That's a big old negative. Manual overrides are in the basement. And again, no locks, no entry."
Watson: "I can't let Diaz escape."
Felicity: "What are you, crazy? You can't beat them."
Watson: "I don't have to. I just got to keep them in that room long enough for you to lock those doors."
Dinah (over comms): "I'm in the mechanical room."
(She fights with the Silencer in silence.)
Felicity (over comms): "Uh, guys, just FYI - A lot of things in that lab don't react nicely to gunfire. So one stray bullet, and the whole place goes boom."
Watson: "FBI! Stop right there."
Diaz: "Agent Watson. I see you're reunited with some old friends."
Watson: "Step away from the cooler, Diaz, and put your hands in the air... slowly."
Diaz: "Can you please handle this?"
(Fight ensues between Red Dart and Watson, and Kodiak and Rene, intercut with fight scenes between the Silencer and Dinah.)
Diaz: "Play time's over! (Shoots gun) Let's go."
Felicity (over comms): "The Silencer's still here. In the mechanical room."
Watson (to Rene): "I'll take Diaz. You help Dinah."
Watson (over comms): "Diaz got away."
Felicity (over comms): "Rene, can you hear me?"
Rene (over comms): "Yeah, I hear you."
Felicity (over comms): "The Silencer's the only lead we have on Diaz. We can't let her escape."
Felicity (to Watson): "The Silencer got away."
Felicity: "On a scale of one to unemployment, how much trouble is she in?"
Dinah: "Well, she wasn't supposed to be here in the first place, Diaz escaped with the compound, and we have no idea where or how he's planning on using it."
Felicity: "So a lot?"
Dinah: "Hey, Rene sure got out of here in a hurry."
Felicity: "Well, can you blame him? I mean, the FBI and him don't exactly have a love-love relationship."
(Watson comes up)
Felicity: "How bad is it?"
Watson: "What do you think? I mean, the Silencer was right there. I don't understand how he managed to let her slip past us."
Dinah: "Rene must have missed her by seconds."
Watson: "I have to go. My boss is waiting for me at the office."
Felicity: "Agent Watson. Thank you for trying."

703 (Crossing Lines) – Felicity says good-bye to Agent Watson:
Watson: "Thanks for coming."
Felicity: "I'm guessing you didn't call me in to tell me you've been promoted."
Watson: "Ha, ha. I've been reassigned. Desk jockey job back in D.C."
Felicity: "And I'm guessing that new gig takes you far away from the Diaz investigation."
Watson: "That's the idea."
Felicity: "I hope you're not expecting me to apologize."
Watson: "I'm not. I knew I was putting my career on the line when I agreed to work with you and your team. I believe that good law enforcement does make up for the bad, and I always will. But going off the books to catch Diaz? That was the right thing to do. You don't deserve to live without your family. You're a good person, Felicity."
Felicity: "Hmm. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I'm very sorry to see you go, Agent Watson."
Watson: "I'm sorry Diaz and his crew got away. I mean, things would've turned out different if we'd gotten at least something on that son of a bitch."
Felicity: "I know, I know. I'm with you. Square One sucks."

703 (Crossing Lines) – We learn that Felicity and Rene are holding the Silencer captive:
(Felicity and Rene descend down the stairs into an underground facility.)
Rene: "This was a bad idea."
Felicity: "We didn't have a choice."
Rene: "Listen, I'm not a super fan of Agent Watson, but we got her in trouble."
Felicity: "We didn't make her do anything. We've been sitting and waiting for the law to catch Diaz for months. I am tired of waiting."
Rene: "I get that, but -"
Felicity: "Isn't this kind of what we've been doing the whole time, stepping in when the system fails? Isn't that sort of a vigilante M.O.? Sometimes you have to cross the line for that."
Rene: "Listen, nobody believes in that more than me. I'm just not sure that's what this is."
(He points to the Silencer, who is cuffed and sitting on the ground.)

Edited by tv echo