Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Crossing Lines

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

CURTIS GOES UNDERCOVER FOR ARGUS — Still in prison, Oliver (Stephen Amell) faces his biggest challenge yet.  Meanwhile, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) gets an intriguing offer, and Diggle (David Ramsey) asks Curtis (Echo Kellum) to go undercover for ARGUS.  Gordon Verheul directed the episode with teleplay by Onalee Hunter Hughes & Sarah Tarkoff and story by Elizabeth Kim (#703).  Original airdate 10/29/2018.

My favorite scenes of the episodes were the Felicity/Watson ones. Yes, kidnapping the Silencer and pulling a Laurel was a bit much, but you know what? I don't care at this point. Watson was nicer, cared more about and treated Felicity better than her supposed friends. (Don't even get me started on Felicity calling William her son. Filing that under "there's more to the future than 702 led us to believe because there's no way Oliver and Felicity would abandon their son.")

Going to keep waiting for ARGUS to be the big bad. Did like the Diggle/Lyla scenes and liked them with JJ, but like I said in the live thread, I miss baby Sara.

Liked how Oliver got himself to Level Two, but to be honest, I'm already done with the Oliver in prison storyline. Also, if Stanley isn't really a murder-y guy or at least a bad guy, I'll be shocked. 

Wish we'd gotten more flashforwards.

• Love 7

I don't really have a problem with Felicity deciding she needs to speak directly with Silensor but I'm not following some of the logistics.  Like how did he stop her?  At what point did the plan go from letting the FBI have her to Rene running off with her since that didn't seem to be what Felicity was telling Rene.  Also, what is the plan?  Is Felicity going to see if she has any talent for torture?  Hey, if it makes you feel close to Oliver, shrug.

As for Oliver and Level Two, I'm sure there's worse that can be done than wound a couple guards.  Brick and company were all planning on killing Oliver and weren't worried about going down a level.  Not sure why everyone was looking at Oliver like he'd done something so super over the line, lol.  

• Love 10

Another decent episode.

It was refreshing to see JJ and such a normal family scene even if it lasted a couple of seconds and took place in Argus. We need more normal moments for the characters. 

The Prison scenes were extra brutal tonight and with Oliver going to Lvl 2 I hope that he has a harder time beating up the guys down there then he does up above him. The fights are fun but they get boring when you know the outcome. Kudos to them for giving us a tiny glimpse into Bronze Tiger and saving Lyla.

It is embarrassing that the writers feel the need to have to make the FBI look like morons on every single level. Cant get intel on Diaz, not even worried about Diaz! It shouldn't take Felicity walking in to get something done. But that was a fun team to put together. If there were ever a time for the "Outsiders" to make their debut, it is this part of the season. 

Though I need the writers to do better when expecting us to believe that Rene of all people was able to catch Silencer just like how we are supposed to believe that Argus couldn't catch Diaz so they put it offscreen. 

• Love 6

I thought the prison stuff was going to be awful, but I just love prison Oliver to pieces. I'd rather him be home with his family of course, but if I have to watch this - this is the Oliver I want to watch. 

I liked Watson in this episode - for the first time since she was introduced. I like the way they're writing Rene. 

Taking Diaz and giving him injectable super strength is a terrible idea. Unless idiot. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

Taking Diaz and giving him injectable super strength is a terrible idea. Unless idiot. 

Now he gets to suffer even more in comparison to past baddies.  I had my Slade issues but mirakuru hyped Slade is always going to beat out Diaz chasing the dragon.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 11

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I can't believe that Arrow continues to fail to write Diaz as a Big Bad. He was packing up vials while the actual villains were fighting and then he just fired a couple shots and somehow escaped. 

And I guess I'm supposed to go, "oh, look, scary" when he injects himself and punches a wall? 

(Don't even get me started on him apparently shattering every bone in his body and being all healed up--I guess because of the injections?)

• Love 13
26 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

(Don't even get me started on him apparently shattering every bone in his body and being all healed up--I guess because of the injections?)

I mean, there was no way that was true because we saw him sitting in a basement room perfectly fine when he was watching Oliver's press conference in the finale. Whiny lil exaggerating baby. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 24
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

I mean, there was no way that was true because we saw him sitting in a basement room perfectly fine when he was watching Oliver's press conference in the finale. Whiny lil over exaggerating baby. 

Yep. Maybe to Diaz, "shatter every bone in his body"="ow, I'm sore"? 

• Love 11

Oliver and Felicity are getting people reassigned right and left, LOL. They’re both completely out of fucks and off the rails, and I’m loving it. Not even so much for what it means right now, but more for the potential of how it affects their dynamic once they’re back together. Felicity already knows Oliver is batshit crazy, so I don’t think she’ll be terribly surprised by the things he had to do to survive Slabside. But I think Oliver is going to be really surprised by a harder-edged Felicity, and considering how much he depends on her to be his light, I suspect he’s gonna wonder a lot what his actions have wrought.

I’m sad that we’re losing Watson just when I finally had a reason to like her. I don't think we've seen the last of her though. If someone had told me last season I'd be hoping for her to come back, I never would've believed them. All it took was a team-up with Felicity! (Note, this trick will not work with NTA.)

I feel like Lyla and Diggle have been having the same fight about the compromises Lyla has do make to do her job for the past 4 years. Each time, Diggle ends up apologizing for being so judgmental, but then it’s wash, rinse, repeat. IDK why this time will be different, but hopefully it makes Diggle reevaluate sitting on the sidelines in the effort to get Diaz.

It's weird that there was so much pre-episode emphasis on Curtis going undercover this week, since his role in that storyline seemed so inconsequential. IDK. Maybe I zoned out during his parts and they were more substantial than I thought. But it felt like they could've gotten any random, day player, ARGUS lackey to tag along with Diggle and Lyla and nothing would have been different. 

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 20
6 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

It's weird that there was so much pre-episode emphasis on Curtis going undercover this week, since his role in that storyline seemed so inconsequential. IDK. Maybe I zoned out during his parts and they were more substantial than I thought.

Did they even show Diggle asking him to go? I feel Diggle and Lyla talked about going, and then Curtis was there all of a sudden. 

• Love 1

Pretty solid episode. I think I liked this more than last week?

I'm kinda liking the prison stuff. Thought the fights were pretty good. Even though Cody Rhodes is awful at acting, I flinched when Oliver broke/dislocated his arm/shoulder. Ouch!

Felicity and Watson had a pretty good dynamic, so much so that I was kinda disappointed it was just a one off? Never thought I'd say that. I don't care that Watson got in trouble, though I did appreciate Felicity looked a little guilty. As much as I'm loving her ruthlessness, I don't want her to lose her humanity. But I suppose that's the storyline right there. How far is too far, I guess?

I hate to admit it but I also didn't hate Rene here. If they want me to tolerate him, use him like this. I still loathe Curtis and Dinah though. In fact, Dinah felt kinda shoehorned into the plot tbh. Also JH was painfully bad in some of her scenes. I swear she's getting worse. 

As for the Diggle/Lyla/Curtis storyline. Again, Curtis is irrelevant. Why is he even here? They could've just had anyone in his role. I'm glad Lyla called Diggle out but I'm not sure if this is setting up an ARGUS is bad storyline or Diggle will help Felicity storyline. Both?

Overall though, I still feel like something is missing? IDK if it's Olicity being apart or OTA are nonexistent. IDK. It's just...something.

• Love 11

Tho they generally wrote her as one-note I'm still miffed that they had Watson basically tell felicity everything was cool cuz she's a good person.. You can be a good person and still make dick moves.. Getting someone  demoted or reassigned after barking at them and bugging her office then coming back to the office to say don't expect an apology on top of lying about silencer doesn't get washed away cuz of a lil watery eye lip tremble saying ur sad to see her go... That said I'm interested in what felicity will do to silencer... Lyla and diggle have been having this fight a while so I agree that its tiresome.. But as I feel she may not be long for this world I'm glad they are on good terms.. I'm enjoying Rene after being upset at him for a part of last season.. But he's been great this one... Dinah is kinda just blowing in the wind but I'm sure that'll change.. Don't care Bout the prison yet.. Did like bronze tiger reminding Oliver he wasn't all bad

• Love 2

Love how OTA had the A plot, B plot, and C plot (with then no D plot of the flashforwards this time around apparently). Kind of a bummer they had to be separated for it, but I still appreciate them each getting moments to share thoughts and feelings.

• Love 6

Episode went by faster than last weeks. 

Arrow surprised me. I’m good with the prison storyline, struggling with the outside. Diaz just isn’t interesting. The back and forth over how to get him is boring. It shouldn’t be that hard. 

I couldn’t get that invested in Dyla. It’s the same conversation they’ve had a dozen times before. I don’t like Argus Diggle. He’s a bundle of frustration.

I like the Felicity/Rene dynamic. Keep him like this please. Keep Curtis far away from Felicity. I like Felicity/Watson. I hope she comes back. Felicity taking Silencer is dark. I’m looking forward to Oliver’s reaction to the lengths Felicity goes to.

I feel like I’m watching pieces of Arrow. It’s hard not seeing Olicity. It doesn’t feel complete. 

• Love 7

Great, not only is Diaz still alive, he looks like he's going to be jacked on bargain basement Mirakuru. Super. I tell myself he's gonna die soon. Felicity is gonna shot him in the head repeatedly, and it'll feel even more cathartic than the time she belted Laurel-2.

I like plainsclothed Team Arrow. Once again, I don't think the Mr. Terrific outfit works in any medium. And Curtis might need professional help. I mean, I can relate . . . it takes a while for me to get to a point, and I usually roll my eyes at myself after most conversations.

Anybody else think Silencer was captured on account that she has a monthly book from DC Comics? I will say I like her gimmick. Reminds me of Shriek from Batman Beyond, only it works in live action.

"Total fakeout. Diggle is interrogating Sara. And . . . fuck, Sara was flipped to JJ, not the other way around." I hope there's not going to be a huge fracture between him and Lyla.

Of course Slabside has a Fight Club, complete with corrupt guards. BTW, has it been established when Oliver's "sidekick" did to land in a "supermax" prison?

Watson wasn't a pain in the ass. I like that Watson. I hope she comes back soon.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Though I need the writers to do better when expecting us to believe that Rene of all people was able to catch Silencer  

I had a hard time believing this too. She probably slipped on a banana peel and knocked herself out.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Are we supposed to know what Diaz was shooting up at the end there? 

Mirakuru: The Sequel, now with more lameness? 

Dear show,

If you want me to find your villain credible, don't have him whining about the pain he's been in since "every bone in his body" was shattered when that clearly never happened. It makes him seem more like a whiny wuss than he already did.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Though I need the writers to do better when expecting us to believe that Rene of all people was able to catch Silencer just like how we are supposed to believe that Argus couldn't catch Diaz so they put it offscreen. 

I guess they figured they shouldn't even attempt to try and pull it off onscreen. "Nah, that's too unbelievable even for us." It was probably the stand-in Green Arrow that nabbed her.

1 hour ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I can't believe that Arrow continues to fail to write Diaz as a Big Bad. He was packing up vials while the actual villains were fighting and then he just fired a couple shots and somehow escaped. 

I don't even get the hype about his allies, either. Aside from their increasingly blatant lack of bows (nor even a modus operadi of hunting people with bows), they don't seem to have any motivation. All that stuff Anatoly told about them last season seems totally made up, or at least irrelevant. They don't seem at all mythical, just highly trained, and they have absolutely nothing to do except grunt work for Diaz for some reason. I feel like the writers thought they had this really great concept at the end of last season and then got to writing and said, "ah, screw it. Let's just make them random thugs."

Unless they're planning on another "very special episode" where we learn that they all turned into evil killers and thieves because they had a bad childhood.

1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

I mean, there was no way that was true because we saw him sitting in a basement room perfectly fine when he was watching Oliver's press conference in the finale. Whiny lil exaggerating baby. 

Maybe he tivo'd the press conference? I got nothin'.

(Does anyone tivo any more?)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

They don't seem at all mythical, just highly trained, and they have absolutely nothing to do except grunt work for Diaz for some reason. I feel like the writers thought they had this really great concept at the end of last season and then got to writing and said, "ah, screw it. Let's just make them random thugs."

If nothing else why weren’t they out doing evil on his behalf while he was faking sick? 

Diaz is such a waste. I can’t believe they kept him on and powered him up instead of just offing his dumb ass over the hiatus. 

Oh, yes I can. It’s Arrow! 

And now he has lame cohorts. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

How old is Diggle's son because that kid looked too old to me?

Should be 4, maybe? Wouldn’t be the first time they messed up his age. Remember when he celebrated his birthday in S5 around episode 6ish (I refuse to rewatch those episodes to check exactly) when his birthday should’ve been in 501? 

Watson was way better here then she was in the past at least, but it is still jarring how Sydelle Noel is so charismatic and lively as Cherry on GLOW, but still kind of dull here.  I guess it's all about the writing.  Still, I felt a little bad that she actually agrees to help Felicity and crew, and gets punished for it when it doesn't work (of course), but I don't blame Felicity either for not telling her they have Silencer now, because Watson would either try to stop her or go with, which could lead to even more trouble for her.

Always great to see Lyla, even if boiled down to another case of Diggle again getting self-righteous and upset over the rules she and ARGUS have to bend, only to apologize at the end.  One of these days, Diggle, you're just going to have accept that this is how ARGUS operates, and either a) get over it or b) quit.  Of course, all of this drama was caused by Curtis poking his nose in everything.  Even in two mere scenes, he managed to annoy.  At least it was fun watching both Diggle and Lyla not even acknowledge his lame jokes during the mission.

So, now Diaz has superpowers now, which allow him to punch through walls.  Still doesn't make you less lame, buddy.  The best part was watching the Longbow folks' "What the hell, man?" reaction to his little display.  Again, I think the show inadvertently shot themselves in the foot by bringing back the likes of Brick and Bronze Tiger this season as well, because they're way more fun and threatening as villains then Diaz ever was (probably helps that Vinnie Jones and Michael Jai White actually know how to come off like guys who could kick your ass.  Kirk Acevedo is trying, but he just makes Diaz come off like a whiny child half of the time.)

Oliver's now off to "Level 2", where apparently the worst of the worse are kept, and there is some informant known as the "Demon" there.  Who could it be?!

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

JJ should be about 4 since Sara was born in 301 but yeah, that kid looked at least 6. I seriously was trying to figure out who the kid was at first because he was way too old to be JJ.

Maybe Flashpoint changed the timing of his birth instead of just his sex. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KenyaJ said:

Felicity already knows Oliver is batshit crazy, so I don’t think she’ll be terribly surprised by the things he had to do to survive Slabside. But I think Oliver is going to be really surprised by a harder-edged Felicity, and considering how much he depends on her to be his light, I suspect he’s gonna wonder a lot what his actions have wrought.

Agreed. Oliver was doing Olivery things (the fight club was greeeaat but I did worry he might bypass level two and go straight to a possible three) but I was legitimately surprised by Felicity. In the past, going for broke for her meant disregarding the consequences to herself and her safety. This was ruthless calculation - the show took great pains to show Watson was comfortable with her decision to by into the plan as well as Felicity’s guilt, but ultimately there were negative consequences to someone who was somewhat unwitting.  And it looks like they didn’t tell Dinah that they had Silencer?

I’m enjoying this season. I really thought the prison stuff would be wrapped by now as the show has suffered when the cast is divided but there hasn’t been a hint of a resolution for Oliver. It’s been a compelling and well structured storyline in which each action builds on the one before. There are some blaaaaaah sections in the non-Oliver stories but they have a good through line as well, with good thematic connections to Oliver’s.

I’m going to be a bit of a contrarian on Diaz - once they decided to keep him, they needed to do something to make him formidable and challenging. I think this was the only solution, even if it’s a retread from season two. They can’t redo the police corruption angle again and he’s barely a villain of the week without a gimmick. I’m not saying i’m looking forward to his metamorphosis but I understand the plotting here. Also, he’ll need to be less visible to increase his ability to make an impact. 

ETA if someone finds out details on Lyla’s dress please post them! 

Edited by La Dee Da
Passion for fashion edit
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, La Dee Da said:

I’m going to be a bit of a contrarian on Diaz - once they decided to keep him, they needed to do something to make him formidable and challenging. I think this was the only solution, even if it’s a retread from season two. They can’t redo the police corruption angle again and he’s barely a villain of the week without a gimmick. I’m not saying i’m looking forward to his metamorphosis but I understand the plotting here. Also, he’ll need to be less visible to increase his ability to make an impact. 

I just wish that we had started the season with this Diaz. It had been 5/6 months, we didnt need to see it.

On 10/28/2018 at 12:35 PM, Lady Calypso said:

CURTIS GOES UNDERCOVER FOR ARGUS — Still in prison, Oliver (Stephen Amell) faces his biggest challenge yet.  Meanwhile, Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) gets an intriguing offer, and Diggle (David Ramsey) asks Curtis (Echo Kellum) to go undercover for ARGUS. 

Did I miss something? Curtis stayed in the van the whole time except when he was shopping for Swiss chocolates. "Oliver faces his biggest challenge yet" every week but Felicity didn't get an offer, she made one. Is this the write-up for another episode?

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, now Diaz has superpowers now, which allow him to punch through walls.  Still doesn't make you less lame, buddy.

The good news is that the show heard us when we complained about how lame DDDiaz is.

The bad news is that they decided to magically give him powers, which is basically the same problem that they tell, not show. And he's still a blowhard.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Did I miss something? Curtis stayed in the van the whole time except when he was shopping for Swiss chocolates. 

Exactly!  He was under COVER... in the van.

This episode... it was honestly pretty blah. I don't have any major complaints, but there wasn't anything I loved in it.

The CDC check point was a joke! The guard glances at one (admittedly valid) FBI badge and then waves in four people?  I'm surprised that DDDiaz and crew had to hack anything. And then the next scene has Felicity remarking to Samanda how much security the CDC has (although I assume she was talking about the computer)... although is it really that good if the bad guys hacked it?

Because Lyla and Diggle really have played out this same argument before, it would have been nice to have them uncover the hinky stuff at ARGUS together. Also, why would Lyla try to piggyback the download and slow the mission when she could have spoofed the hard drive on the ride back to the hotel? They could still have Curtis detect the copy later and tell Diggle if they really wanted to play it that way.

• Love 1

There's no Arrow without Olicity. 

The episode was decent but I agree with everyone who says it's not quite "right" some how. There's a spark missing.

The Oliver in prison storyline is more tolerable than I thought it would be. LOVED seeing him kickass. Now if only they would keep that consistent in real life and not regress his skills to prop everyone else up. I cheered when he flew up to get to Brick and thoroughly enjoyed him breaking bad acting guy's arms! 

I am here for Felicity goes dark. I love EBR's portrayal of Felicity going dark. There are so many more layers to her than the standard "I'm gonna look sullen, pout angrily and overact cuz I'm trying to convey anger" approach that seems to be adopted by some other actresses on Arrow.  There is something slightly sinister about our normal, fast talking, still perky Felicity crossing a few lines. The Felicity mannerisms are still there but there's a slight shift in them! I LOVE IT! 

I want Oliver to be confronted with this when he gets out of prison.

Oh Diaz, Slade you are not. He looked like a toad (like an actual toad, very puffy features and kinda squat the way toads are) as he monologued and drugged himself up. They should just go all out and make him a villain like Penguin in Batman! That might be the only thing that will work for him.

• Love 10

I actually liked this episode more than last weeks. So far, I love where they’re taking Felicity this season.  She has purpose and is driven and it’s everything I want to see for her. Every formerly masked character is now unmasked so I feel like there’s no longer a reason for her to be held back. 

Oliver has his fighting and strategic thinking skills back and, surprisingly, I’m not bored yet with the prison arc. If it drags on for too long that might change but for now I’m good with it. 

I don’t know what they’re doing with Curtis and Dinah. They could’ve been completely absent from the episode and nothing would’ve changed with the plot (other than getting 1000% less Curtis babbling). 

I cannot understand what Kirk Acevedo is whispher mumbling most of the time and I’m not really that eager to rewind him to find out. I’m just going to trust that at some point one of the other characters will do a little onscreen exposition and fill me in on what’s going on there. 

9 hours ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

Mirakuru: The Sequel, now with more lameness? 

Dear show,

If you want me to find your villain credible, don't have him whining about the pain he's been in since "every bone in his body" was shattered when that clearly never happened. It makes him seem more like a whiny wuss than he already did.

Can we get Felicity injecting him like she did with Slade? Though I would prefer her pumping some lead into him What?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, jay741982 said:

Can we get Felicity injecting him like she did with Slade? Though I would prefer her pumping some lead into him What?

I really really really want her to complete her dark arc by killing him. They can have Oliver defeat him but Felicity deciding he needs death. Cue Oliver freak out! 

Would be awesome! For me! 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, kes0704 said:

I don’t know what they’re doing with Curtis and Dinah. They could’ve been completely absent from the episode and nothing would’ve changed with the plot (other than getting 1000% less Curtis babbling). 

There is literally not enough time in this show to accommodate the overabundance of characters. And it's crazy to think that there are additional characters coming this season who haven't even been introduced yet. I pray that somewhere between now and the start of S8, the show will pare down the cast. There are a lot of characters who are just taking up space.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, kes0704 said:

I hate them but NTA were used pretty well in this episode, all things considered. For the first time in forever I felt like they were actually there in supporting roles to OTA (well, Diggle and Felicity), which is how it should be. But their roles still feel irrelevant. If it's obvious they've been shoehorned into plots, they can easily be cut out. 

I wish Beth would realize that the B team don't need to be in every episode, just like Black Siren. It would give other plots and scenes time to breathe.

• Love 10

I'm assuming that it was setting something up to happen in a later episode, but the whole Dyla plot could've been taken out of this episode and I feel like it would've been a little better. Especially since we've seen that argument so many times before. 

• Love 8

Yeah, that was the downside to the Dyla stuff. I think we've seen them have that argument every season since s2. I guess it's setting up ARGUS shadiness though? Or Diggle finally deciding to be a better friend and help Felicity? IDK. I hope so.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I really really really want her to complete her dark arc by killing him. They can have Oliver defeat him but Felicity deciding he needs death. Cue Oliver freak out! 

Would be awesome! For me! 

Oliver would kill him so she didn't if it came down to it. I have always wondered if Writers have considered Felicity killing a Bad guy or Girl 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Oliver would kill him so she didn't if it came down to it. I have always wondered if Writers have considered Felicity killing a Bad guy or Girl 

You made the plot even better!

Or she might jump in before Oliver catches on and puts a few bullets while Oliver watches in disbelief.

*sigh* Now watch the show disappoint me with something lame.

I was never a fan of the no kill policy so I am all for Felicity killing Diaz. 

• Love 2