Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Songs from the 1960s and 1970s

Simon47
  • Start Topic

Oh man, my list here could be really long. While I do prefer the 70s, there are still a ton of 60s songs that I love.  Just to name a few:

Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield

Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson

Season of the Witch by Donovan

I Want You Back by The Jackson 5

For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield

You Can't Hurry Love by the Supremes

• Love 3

Co-signing all of the above.

My list would also be incredibly long, but I too shall share a few other favorites:

"Pretty Ballerina"-The Left Banke

"Spooky"-Classics IV

"Pretty Woman"-Roy Orbinson

"Tell Her No"-The Zombies

"My Girl"-The Temptations

"You Don't Own Me"-Lesley Gore

"Be My Baby"-The Ronettes

"My Guy"-Mary Wells

"Daydream Believer"-The Monkees (I like other songs of theirs, too, but this is one I particularly remember loving when I was little)

• Love 3

A Change is Gonna Come Sam Cooke

The End of the World Skeeter Davis

Reflections by The Supremes

The Times They are A Changin Bob Dylan

Both Sides Now Joni Mitchell

California Dreaming Mamas and the Papas

God Only Knows Beach Boys

Eve of Destruction Barry McGuire

The Sound of Silence Simon and Garfunkle

There are really are so many songs to mention!

• Love 3

Man, this this topic is right up my alley. There is just something about '60s R&B---what a magical time for music.

Any and everything by Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye are at the top of my list.

Just about every Motown hit single ever mentioned puts me in a great mood.

Shout, Twist and Shout, and This Ol Heart of Mine by the Isley Brothers--such fun music.

• Love 1

"After the Love Has Gone" by Earth, Wind & Fire

I also like a lot of disco songs, although I was a toddler during that era.  There are too many to list, but one of my favorites is "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" by McFadden & Whitehead.  Also "September" by EWF.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:24 AM, KWalkerInc said:

"After the Love Has Gone" by Earth, Wind & Fire

I also like a lot of disco songs, although I was a toddler during that era.  There are too many to list, but one of my favorites is "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" by McFadden & Whitehead.  Also "September" by EWF.

There's nothing like 70s funk, huh? Especially EWF. Great stuff. Ain't No Stopping Us Now is my parent's "song". It came out the same year they got married.

Just a handful of my personal 70's faves: Got to Give It Up by Marvin Gaye, Tell Me Something Good by Chaka Khan & Rufus, Summer Madness by Kool & the Gang, Lady Marmalade by Labelle and Inside My Love by Minnie Riperton.

• Love 3

Too many to list - especially since many of them may not have been on the public's radar (or were local/regional hits) at the time they were released:

Time - The Pozo-Seco Singers

Leaving On A Jet Plane - Peter Paul & Mary

Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees

I Don't Think You Know Me - The Monkees

Whatever Shape You're Stomach's In - The T-Bones

Off & Running - Leslie Gore

Sunshine on A Cold Morning - Fountain of Youth

The Ugliest Girl in Town - The Will-O-Bees

It's Not Easy - The Will-O-Bees

Georgy Girl - The Seekers

Children & Flowers - The Critters

Poor Man's Son -  The Rockin' Berries 

Funny How Love Can Be - The Rockin' Berries

Lying & Trying - The Shillings

Friday On My Mind - The Easybeats

Five O'Clock World - The Vogues

Wipe Out - The Surfaris

Telstar - The Tornadoes

Apache- The Ventures

Theme to The Good The Bad & The Ugly - Hugo Montenegro

Theme to The Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein

Theme To A Summer Place - Percy Faith

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, magicdog said:

Five O'Clock World - The Vogues

Hard for me to hear that song without thinking of the "Drew Carey Show", but yeah, great song indeed. It's just plain fun :D. 

Telstar - The Tornadoes

Also a good song, and I especially get a kick out of hearing it because the rhythm guitarist from this group, George Bellamy, is the father of the lead singer of Muse, one of my favorite bands (they even did a little homage to "Telstar" in one of their songs). Just neat to go back and hear that family history like that. 

• Love 1
On 11/21/2018 at 11:50 PM, rmcrae said:

Just a handful of my personal 70's faves: Got to Give It Up by Marvin Gaye, Tell Me Something Good by Chaka Khan & Rufus, Summer Madness by Kool & the Gang, Lady Marmalade by Labelle and Inside My Love by Minnie Riperton.

Love all of these. The other day on Spotify, I heard ‘Celebration’ by Kool and the Gang. For a long time, it was an overplayed anthem, especially at sporting events. But I haven’t heard it in years. I was at my work desk rocking out. 

And A-ha’s ‘Take on Me’ will forever be the coolest music video of the ‘80s. 

• Love 3

The Stones' four album streak in the late 60s - early 70s. Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street

Truthfully, this time period is rich with so much that I love. My parents are boomers and my Dad LOVED music so my childhood is all about the 60s and 70s.

My various playlists reflect that because I've got just the decade and then other playlists that get more specific, Surf Music, Folk Music, Psychedelia, etc...

• Love 2

When I was growing up, every Sunday, my parents had the radio on 106.7 LiteFM, so I can honestly say that I love a lot of songs from these eras even though I didn't even exist at the time.

For some reason, I can't be specific, but anything from "Earth, Wind, & Fire" counts for me.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Camille said:

When I was growing up, every Sunday, my parents had the radio on 106.7 LiteFM, so I can honestly say that I love a lot of songs from these eras even though I didn't even exist at the time.

This is me, too. Wasn't alive in the '60s and '70s, but there's a lot of music from those decades that I like thanks to my parents playing it around the house a lot, or on any oldies/classic rock stations my dad worked at :). 

Tonight I was listening to an old CD I made of favorite songs, and it reminded me of one song that I actually remember hearing in the '70s, as opposed to coming to appreciate it later:  "Boogie Oogie Oogie" by A Taste of Honey.  I would dance around singing it (I think I just thought it was fun to say the title), and it may or may not have been involved in an incident when I was three when I thought I was going to "disco dance" at church.  Fortunately, family members stopped me until after the service.

The other song I can vaguely remember liking at that age (confirmed by my sister) was "If I Can't Have You" by Yvonne Elliman.

• Love 3

That song by the Easybeats reminds of Friday I'm in Love by The Cure.  Same lyric structure.

That song by Badfinger was monster back in the day.  I was dancing around the room when it started playing during Breaking Bad.

Edited by Oosala
Perfectionism, pure and simple.
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Oosala said:

That song by Badfinger was monster back in the day. 

My mom (RIP!) sang that song to me when she was pregnant with me back in '72, because she thought I was going to be another boy. (I have two older brothers.)

For reasons I won't get into, she then changed her mind, hoping I was a girl, but by then the song had stuck (especially the "special love I have for you" part), so she still sang it, and it became "our" song.

It makes me miss her, even almost 5 years since she passed away. So that is my connection to the song. Especially since I have never seen one episode of Breaking Bad!

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1