Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

Pallas
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

She's exec producer of the show lol. Ever notice the "gilbert productions" title card in the end credits? 

I posted about the show being her EP project days ago so I'm well aware, lol. No one's denying that. But I also don't think it was designed by her as a vehicle for her at all. The incidental fact is Darlene's family was the obvious in-point for a revival. And it worked and was in keeping with the show's past.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, jsbt said:

The incidental fact is Darlene's family was the obvious in-point for a revival. And it worked and was in keeping with the show's past.

Exactly.  And I think Sara Gilbert is smart enough to want to have a successful show not a show that is all about her!  Darlene and her family are a natural centre for the show but that doesn't mean Sara Gilbert ever intended it to be a show that revolved around her.  Maybe she should have foreseen that Roseanne Barr would self destruct but obviously she didn't and the original show was an ensemble show with Roseanne at the centre as she should have been.  The Conners had to move on and inevitably IMO Darlene became the centre.   But not because Sara Gilbert is the executive producer!

• Love 11
1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

Exactly.  And I think Sara Gilbert is smart enough to want to have a successful show not a show that is all about her!  Darlene and her family are a natural centre for the show but that doesn't mean Sara Gilbert ever intended it to be a show that revolved around her.  Maybe she should have foreseen that Roseanne Barr would self destruct but obviously she didn't and the original show was an ensemble show with Roseanne at the centre as she should have been.  The Conners had to move on and inevitably IMO Darlene became the centre.   But not because Sara Gilbert is the executive producer!

Season 10 wasn't Roseanne-centric either though. Darlene was still the lead but in Roseanne's shadow. Now there's no shadow and Darlene is clearly the lead.

The show being about Darlene because Sara is EP isn't a bad thing. It's just something you have to consider. The revival idea took off because she had Goodman on The Talk and they did a back door pilot with that Roseanne inspired sketch on the couch.

Roseanne was persona non gratis in Hollywood even at that point. Goodman and Metcalf had successful careers acting in other people's production and Lecy and Fishman hadn't worked in "the business" for decades.

Gilbert was the driving force and wanted to make it happen and she had the means to do it. In that situation, no person is going to just step aside and play second fiddle to someone else, even to Roseanne. The revival was always going to revolve around her character. Look at season 10. Roseanne is practically an extra. The only episode I can remember her being on screen for most of the show was the Muslim neighbours one. Sara didn't just take the reigns once Roseanne left, the original premise of the revival was her being the lead with Roseanne just being the figurehead.

Again, it's not a bad thing, but it would be more accurately called "The Sara Gilbert Show" and not "The Conners".

• Love 4

Honestly I think after Roseanne got canned and talks resumed about continuing, someone must have pitched “Darlene”.  But I’m guessing that Sara Gilbert herself said no, let’s make it about the entire family.  But yes, Darlene is very much the lead.   And it works, I just wish we had more episodes to focus on more characters.    

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Honestly I think after Roseanne got canned and talks resumed about continuing, someone must have pitched “Darlene”.  But I’m guessing that Sara Gilbert herself said no, let’s make it about the entire family.  But yes, Darlene is very much the lead.   And it works, I just wish we had more episodes to focus on more characters.    

I think you are absolutely right. Sara is a consummate professional at this point. She also doesn't seem to have the inflated ego that some television people have.

• Love 11

Darlene may be central, but tbh the show features Becky, etc. much more heavily than last season when Roseanne still had a creative hand IMO.  I think part of the focus on Darlene as the prime mover always came from Roseanne - who masterminded it herself as showrunner in the latter half of the original series.

15 hours ago, Mmmfloorpie said:

Look at season 10. Roseanne is practically an extra. The only episode I can remember her being on screen for most of the show was the Muslim neighbours one. Sara didn't just take the reigns once Roseanne left, the original premise of the revival was her being the lead with Roseanne just being the figurehead.

I don't think that's true. It's certainly true that Roseanne often observed and commented more while Darlene was a prime driver of plot, but Roseanne remained active. Her role was lessened but still very prominent, so I think it's a vast overstatement and it's not the season I watched IMO. I also don't think Sara was looking for a vehicle to act full time again.

Edited by jsbt
On 12/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

Look at season 10. Roseanne is practically an extra.

Aside from all other considerations one big reason that Roseanne Barr may have been a little less central than some would have expected is that she can't act.  She got pretty good during the original run of Roseanne I totally grant but frankly I've often wondered if one of the reasons she so spectacularly flamed out was because deep down she knew she couldn't handle the role. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

Shocked by this predictable news!

According to the site staff in the comments section, the show remains ABC's #1 comedy and #2 show in their key demographics. Which we knew, actually, it's been reported before but some people didn't.

Seeing people claim ABC is only going to renew the show to spite Roseanne Barr and prove they weren't wrong to keep it going makes me laugh. That they really think a network is going to play those games with a show like this that has some hefty salaries. 

I should thank these people because it was their months-long spamming against the show and especially against the cast that made me give The Conners a chance in the first place. 

• Love 14

They're aiming for an expanded episode order:

I hear negotiations are underway with the core cast for a 13-episode Season 2. That would be up from the 11 episode in its current first season and the 9 for the lone season of the Roseanne revival. The cast of The Conners is led by Roseanne alums including Sara Gilbert, who also serves as an executive producer, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, and Lecy Goranson. As has been the case with the Roseanne revival and The Conners’ first season, there are issues with Metcalf and Goodman’s busy schedules that need to be worked out but I hear everyone is willing to return and talks are going smoothly.

Goodman, Metcalf and Gilbert reportedly were payed $375,000 an episode for Season 1 of The Conners, up significantly from about $250,000 an episode each got for the new Roseanne. I hear the trio is expected to get another salary bump for Season 2 of The Conners. All parties involved declined comment,

Here is why pursuing a second season of The Conners has been a no-brainer for ABC. The blue collar family sitcom averages 10.2 million total viewers and a 2.4 adults 18-49 rating (most current). It is the season’s #1 new comedy in total viewers and 18-49 and ABC’s #1 comedy this season in total viewers and 18-49 (tied with Modern Family). It is also ABC’s most watched series in Live+Same Day and is running neck and neck with Grey’s Anatomy in 18-49, which is important as broadcast networks put a premium of live viewing for the impact of commercials.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 11

I happened to notice some upcoming reruns.  Ordinarily I wouldn't bother commenting on them but considering the ones they picked, it looks like they might be trying to pick up some new viewers. 

Tue, Jan 01 - Keep on Truckin'
Thu, Jan 03 - Miracles / One Flew Over the Conner's Nest

• Love 5

Yay! So happy about the news. Saw a comment by Tv Guide recently about a ratings drop and they were thinking it would be canceled. /facepalm So tired of hearing the peanut gallery ratings people yapping. Just let things happen or not. Glad that this show has a shot at a second season.

• Love 8

ABC will air Keep on Truckin' next Tuesday June 4th.  From that, I'm assuming they will be showing the first season over the summer.  (I didn't see any announcement of it, it just showed back up on my dvr.)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, BeachDays said:

I just saw The Conners came in 3rd for viewership last night.   I hope the numbers improve as the season goes on.  

Viewership might go up, but it is most likely that the show is going to be 3rd in it's time slot for the entire season given that it's up against 2 big hit series The  Voice and NCIS. Also it should be noted that it was tied for 2nd in the demo and tied for 3rd in the demo for the night overall, so it's not like it's any real trouble. I'm sure that the network is hoping the numbers improve since the early trend is yet another decline in live ratings for TV overall, but I doubt anyone involved is too worried.

For those who want to see the night's ratings -
https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tuesday-final-ratings-sept-24-2019/

• Useful 3

I would be worried. lol

5.7m with a 1.3 demo

That's almost 2m down from the finale (7.7). And down 1m from their lowest episode (6.6).

They started with 10 and went down to 6 for season 1.

I figured they may start with 7-8 (season 1 finale #'s) and fall to about 6. But damn, they're already below 6.

Well, they've got lower rated shows on ABC but that's Karma for ya. I can't wait to see this ship sink.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, wknt3 said:

Viewership might go up, but it is most likely that the show is going to be 3rd in it's time slot for the entire season given that it's up against 2 big hit series The  Voice and NCIS. Also it should be noted that it was tied for 2nd in the demo and tied for 3rd in the demo for the night overall, so it's not like it's any real trouble. I'm sure that the network is hoping the numbers improve since the early trend is yet another decline in live ratings for TV overall, but I doubt anyone involved is too worried.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tuesday-final-ratings-sept-24-2019/

Well it definitely makes sense to have The Conners go up against those other big shows versus something else.  👍

• Love 1
7 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I didn't realize the show had premiered, so I missed the episode.  Now that I know, I'll be tuning in each week. 😃

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Court said:

I watch nothing live except sports. The only people I know who watch TV live is my parents and they're in their 60's and 70's. So live ratings always seem silly to me.

A good point and I'm in the same situation (although in the last few years my parents have started to use the DVR as well for a number of series.) It should be noted that the ratings we are discussing here are Live + Same Day so it includes the people like me who watched it the same night on the DVR, but not live. These ratings aren't the only viewing measure networks use anymore making decisions, but they are important for a number of reasons. For one it's important to advertisers since people that see the ads after their movie premieres or their sale is over aren't worth as much. Another is that there is a relationship between these ratings and overall viewership. While this varies A LOT depending on the individual show and even the episode usually if these ratings drop it doesn't mean that everyone is watching later or on other platforms but that there will be fewer total viewers. Finally they matter because they are public (as well as the Live +3 and Live +7 ratings) for all the shows. It is easy for producers to claim that they are huge on streaming, on the internet, etc. but as long as there is no independent verification of those numbers, they can't be trusted or compared. Which is a long winded way of saying they aren't silly even if they aren't as important as they used to be.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

A repeat tonight ☹️. I would have thought with a shortened schedule we wouldn’t get any repeats, especially since there is no high profile show on against it….

• Like 1
9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

A repeat tonight ☹️. I would have thought with a shortened schedule we wouldn’t get any repeats, especially since there is no high profile show on against it….

A lot of shows will be taking some breaks in the coming weeks, either because of political stuff (like with election results last night or the State of the Union address tomorrow night), and then March Madness will be disrupting the schedule in a couple weeks' time as well.

I don't know what the reason for reruns tonight is, but I do know some showw are still catching up on filming/post-production stuff/etc., so maybe they don't have all their new epsiodes quite ready to air just yet? 

I get the SOTU and March Madness, that means shows just don’t air. It’s the reruns that are annoying! NCIS is in reruns until the end of the month. But they wanted to get on the air, especially for February sweeps and they want to have fresh shows for May sweeps, I guess.