Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings and Scheduling

Pallas
  • Start Topic

Ratings are down from last season's premiere as was expected by ABC yet 'steady' - this piece is kind of all over the place about it. Neither a smash nor a flop. It hit the numbers it needed to and was on track with the Season 10 finale, but it was never expected to be the boffo smash of the S10 opening.

• Love 4

Deadline's earlier story was also updated:

When the morning dust settled, The Conners clocked an early 2.3 rating in the 18-49 age bracket and averaged 10.500 million viewers, on track with the Roseanne revival season finale’s 2.5 demo rating and 10.579M total viewers in national Live + Same Day stats.

The Conners topped the night in the demo, while CBS’s NCS, (1.2, 11.70M) as expected, was the night’s most watched program (1.2, 11.700M).

The Conners stands as TV’s #1 series debut this season, topping NBC’s Manifest (2.2, 10.4M).

The Conners is TV’s top “new” comedy debut this season, going back over one year to CBS’ Young Sheldon debut coming out of The Big Bang Theory last September.

• Love 3

The show finished second in its time slot behind the opening ceremonies and first pitch of the World Series (between two famous franchises and huge coastal markets), and third for the night overall. Well done.

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

So I'm hearing gloom and doom in some news articles re the ratings for the latest episode.  Anyone have any alternate takes?

It’s not really horrible as some people make it out to be.  Of course there are those people who WANT the show to fail just so they can say it was all Roseanne Barr and the rest meant nothing.  Right now the show has a 1.7 rating which is actually pretty good considering that Last Man Standing the conservative darling is at 1.8.  Figure a few people will drop off so by number ten it should have a 1.5 rating which is actually better then a lot of shows. Blackish which keeps getting renewed is at 0.8 FYI.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

It’s not really horrible as some people make it out to be.  Of course there are those people who WANT the show to fail just so they can say it was all Roseanne Barr and the rest meant nothing.  Right now the show has a 1.7 rating which is actually pretty good considering that Last Man Standing the conservative darling is at 1.8.  Figure a few people will drop off so by number ten it should have a 1.5 rating which is actually better then a lot of shows. Blackish which keeps getting renewed is at 0.8 FYI.

Plus, it was up against the World Series opener featuring two classic teams.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

From that Deadline Hollywood article re. casting Rene Rosado:

Well, this will be interesting - I absolutely hated Rosado's character on Major Crimes by the time it ended, so I wonder if when I watch him on this show I'll see Gus and reflexively start yelling at my TV, or be a rational person.

Also, that character description sounds awful, but this is a show on which I'm very willing to see how it actually plays.

Do we know if all 10 episodes have been shot yet?  If so, could this be for Season 3?

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

What is the primary purpose?

To get into this is to delve into a prohibited political discussion. I think it is self-evident.

If the Conners were primarily interested in maximizing ratings they would have brought Roseanne back after the controversy because that would have been a ratings bonanza. 

Ratings and revenue are obviously a secondary consideration.

17 minutes ago, langford peel said:

Ratings and revenue are obviously a secondary consideration.

A consideration many of us are hailing as praiseworthy.  That does not mean, of course, that because it was not their primary consideration when they made the decision to fire Roseanne that it means they don't care  at all about ratings and revenue however,  

• Love 6

If a show is primarily about getting ratings and revenue they will ramp up the buzz and controversy to get everyone talking about it. Oft times a show is not primarily based on revenue. It might be on because of the prestige factor. Because some big star has a vanity project and the studio wants to accommodate them Or they want to send us a message without using Western Union.

The reboot actually touched on this when they mocked Blackish and Off the Boat in a discussion between Roseanne and Dan.

That kind of thing is not going happen on the Conners.

2 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

A lot of viewers were very offended by Roseanne. I think that affected their decision to get rid of her character . Just my own opinion. Of course networks want ratings and revenue.

So were a lot of advertisers. Main source of revenue for Network television. Cable doesn't care as much.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, langford peel said:

If a show is primarily about getting ratings and revenue they will ramp up the buzz and controversy to get everyone talking about it

Most shows on mainstream are about ratings and revenue.  That should not come as a surprise to the average viewer but most of the time there are other reasons why shows are on the air and not all of them want controversy.  There's room on TV for shows that are meant to be blockbusters filled with buzz and controversy and documentaries about growing radishes and everything in between.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Do we know if all 10 episodes have been shot yet?  If so, could this be for Season 3?

They haven’t all been shot yet, they are definitely filming through November and possibly beginning of December-  I’m watching a taping in a few weeks ?

Ok I am editing this because I just looked it up-   They have filmed 5 episodes and have 5 more to go-  1 ep next week, 3 in November, and the final once in December.   

Edited by BeachDays
  • Love 9
On 10/25/2018 at 12:32 PM, langford peel said:

That is a very astute comparison since the primary purpose of both is not to get ratings.

Well...

With its second outing, it slipped double digits to 8 mil and a 1.7, but that still outpaces ABC’s No. 2 comedy, the 10-year-old Modern Family (which is averaging 5.2 mil and a 1.5 this season), by a whole bunch.

https://tvline.com/2018/10/26/the-conners-season-1-episode-count-bigger/

• Love 6

The Halloween episode has stabilized the show with a 1.8 rating.  This show is in no jeopardy of getting cancelled.  It would have to lose half the audience before the half way point of the show before it just becomes more cost effective to just put it on Friday and burn off the episodes.  As of right now it is actually doing well.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 12

I'm actually a little surprised it's doing this well. I didn't expect a total flop but it's holding reasonably fast and I think a lot of that has to do with the advance critical response, as well as frankly some viewers possibly thinking they can come home with Roseanne gone.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, jsbt said:

as well as frankly some viewers possibly thinking they can come home with Roseanne gone.

That's me - and most of the people I know.  Wouldn't give the last reboot a chance since Roseanne Barr was in it but are thrilled now to have the chance to revisit the Conners and catch up.  The show following it is very good as well and if enough people like it too that makes a good strong hour of TV so fingers crossed both shows can keep the momentum going.  Oh also I think a lot of us are looking for family centered sitcoms so that probably helps.

Edited by Homily
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm really excited for a Thanksgiving episode. The one's from the original show were some of the best.

I’ve always enjoyed the Thanksgiving episodes more than Halloween. Most of the episode is in one or two rooms of the house with the entire ensemble and there was usually some big reveal (the affair, Jackie joining the police academy, Bev being pregnant when she got married, etc) or a good argument. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’ve always enjoyed the Thanksgiving episodes more than Halloween. Most of the episode is in one or two rooms of the house with the entire ensemble and there was usually some big reveal (the affair, Jackie joining the police academy, Bev being pregnant when she got married, etc) or a good argument. 

Wasn’t it a Thanksgiving episode where Bev came out.  It will be interesting to have a first Thanksgiving without Roseanne.  I don’t mind Or miss Roseanne but I don’t want the family to forget her.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Wasn’t it a Thanksgiving episode where Bev came out.  It will be interesting to have a first Thanksgiving without Roseanne.  I don’t mind Or miss Roseanne but I don’t want the family to forget her.

Becky made all the food one year. She will probably be called on to do it again.

• Love 6

Becky was always the one who ended up picking up the slack at home while Darlene lay on the couch or stayed in her room.  As an oldest child myself I totally identified with Becky from those days.  It would be no surprise to me at all that she knows her way around a kitchen.  We don't have to be gourmet chefs to know how to cook a decent meal!

• Love 6

^ And only on TV does making a turkey dinner become madness personified.  If you can set a time and boil potatoes you're good.  Stove top stuffing and canned veggies will work if you don't want to peel carrots and they make canned cranberry sauce and brown and bake rolls for a reason!  Of course this is a TV show so having someone cope in a kitchen doesn't bring the funny so we shall see.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

^ And only on TV does making a turkey dinner become madness personified.  If you can set a time and boil potatoes you're good.  Stove top stuffing and canned veggies will work if you don't want to peel carrots and they make canned cranberry sauce and brown and bake rolls for a reason!  Of course this is a TV show so having someone cope in a kitchen doesn't bring the funny so we shall see.

If things go smoothly what fun is that though?  Family holidays are the perfect time for boiling tension to come to the surface.  This is the first year without Roseanne so there is a lot of boiling tensions.  There is a lot of tension between Dan and Darleen and for the way she is raising Mark.  There is Becky and her alcoholism.  All this is perfect to come out during the upcoming festivities.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

For a different perspective from the website "Showbiz 411"

Ratings: “The Conners” Beaten By Everything, Drops in Total Viewers and Demo as ABC Orders Only 1 More Episode

by Roger Friedman

“The Conners” dropped in everything last night–total viewers, key demo. In the nightly ratings battle. the “Roseanne” spin off continues to trend downward.

Last night, “The Conners” was beaten by everything- “NCIS,” “The Voice,” etc. This was their first really objective run, no World Series, nothing to distract potential viewers.

But the key demo sank, which isn’t a good sign. And the total viewers were down by 180K, which is a lot, frankly. People are leaving and they’re not coming back.

ABC has ordered 1 extra episode to the original order of 10. Sounds to me like a finale. Someone wakes up and says they dream that Roseanne died. There’s a cackle from the next room. Fade to black.

ADDENDUM Variety is reporting that John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, and Sara Gilbert are each being paid $375,000 an episode. Let’s say Lacy Goranson and Michael Fishman get $100,000 apiece, then there the kids and DJ’s ex wife. That’s a heavy load per week if the ratings keep falling. “The Conners’ has to be added to “Roseanne”‘s syndication package eventually– it will never reach 100 episodes and have its own package. So Werner TV is in trouble, with millions going out and not enough coming back. “The Conners” is doomed.

The comment about syndication is well taken. There would never be enough episodes to syndicate. That is where the money is in real terms, This show can not be attached to the original series. At ten episodes a year it would be ten years before it has the necessary 100. Do you think this show will last for ten years?

ABC was obligated to pay off the big contracts so they decided to make this season. A mediocre season can be declared a “win” and their mistake in firing the reason for this show’s existence because of one tweet can be glossed over. You don’t fire “Lucy” and try to continue “I Love Lucy.” You don’t fire Mary Tyler Moore and base your show on Murray and Ted Baxter. 

ABC will not sign these so called stars for these huge fees to continue this series. They are going to declare victory and move on .

Dont worry about the cast. They will be on the last helicopters out of Saigon. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, langford peel said:

For a different perspective from the website "Showbiz 411"

Ratings: “The Conners” Beaten By Everything, Drops in Total Viewers and Demo as ABC Orders Only 1 More Episode

by Roger Friedman

“The Conners” dropped in everything last night–total viewers, key demo. In the nightly ratings battle. the “Roseanne” spin off continues to trend downward.

Last night, “The Conners” was beaten by everything- “NCIS,” “The Voice,” etc. This was their first really objective run, no World Series, nothing to distract potential viewers.

But the key demo sank, which isn’t a good sign. And the total viewers were down by 180K, which is a lot, frankly. People are leaving and they’re not coming back.

ABC has ordered 1 extra episode to the original order of 10. Sounds to me like a finale. Someone wakes up and says they dream that Roseanne died. There’s a cackle from the next room. Fade to black.

ADDENDUM Variety is reporting that John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, and Sara Gilbert are each being paid $375,000 an episode. Let’s say Lacy Goranson and Michael Fishman get $100,000 apiece, then there the kids and DJ’s ex wife. That’s a heavy load per week if the ratings keep falling. “The Conners’ has to be added to “Roseanne”‘s syndication package eventually– it will never reach 100 episodes and have its own package. So Werner TV is in trouble, with millions going out and not enough coming back. “The Conners” is doomed.

Bunk.

Roger Friedman has always been a curmudgeon. Sounds like he is just trying to get eyeballs for his withering website.

I just looked at the final ratings for Tuesday and The Conners won the demo, which is primarily what drives renewal.  If you look at raw viewer totals, heck, FBI beats This Is Us, and there isn't a person on this planet that thinks NBC is about to throw in the towel.  And nothing will ever beat NCIS in eyeballs.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tuesday-final-ratings-oct-30-2018/

There are plenty of other variables, of course. Including DVR viewing, which has been considerable for the show thus far.  And those salaries will factor in.  Renewal will mostly depend on whether the principal actors want to keep the show going.  Future seasons can not support that cost structure, especially for a 20+ full season order.  It could perhaps survive as a half-season, which makes some sense given the outside commitments that John/Laurie/Sara all have.  I'll agree that we won't likely see a 100-episode syndication package, but I suspect ABC would happily keep renewing the show for limited episodes.

That said, I do think a Season Two is 50-50 at best.  Mostly due to the three leads having other commitments they want to pursue.

• Love 7

These “stars” will be looking for a raise. The producers might be willing to float that if they can get it back in the back end with syndication. Is there a huge demand for Goodman or Metcalf? They are top level character actors at best. Very replaceable. Goodman in particular has his best days behind him. Gilbert is much less than that. The chances of her getting a starring role as the lead of a series are just about nil.  So if the series is to continue they need to work at a discounted rate. Do you think that is going to happen.      

There was an interesting podcast on Yahoo postulating the same thing.

Fred Mertz did not get his own series. Neither did Vivian Vance.

• Love 2

Syndication isn't the only option for shows any more. Lots of shows get 10 - 13 episodes per season and then go to Hulu or Netflix or Amazon. Streaming has completely changed the old business model.  Even syndication is different now that there are all those OTA digital sub-channels needing content.   

Still, the fact is that no one knows at this point what ABC, the stars and the production company are planning. We'll know eventually. 

• Love 7

You can fire Valerie Harper from her own show, change the name to the Hogan family and still have a hit.   It has been done.    But if there's only 1 season of the Conners, that's still great.  We got an extra season to enjoy this family for those that have been fans of the show, not just one comedian.  It's 1 more season than I thought we'd get earlier this year.   I dont' start watching any show with the attitude that if it doesn't get 100 episodes or 10 years that it's not worth it.  I love the Cool Kids, but there's no guarantee it will come back next year.  If it does, then GREAT! If it doesn't, then bummer.  

• Love 11

That’s very true. But even good shows with small series commitments get cancelled by Netflicks when the trend is down and the have big price tickets. Witness  “Iron  Fist” and “Luke Cage.”

The only way a steaming service would take on a property with declining ratings is if there was a big controversy or attention grabbing hook.

Ironicly the return of Roseanne would perfect in that regard.

You do realize that the average viewer isn't all wrapped up in ratings, syndication, streaming services.    I don't care about all that.  I'm just enjoying watching the Conner family like I've always enjoyed watching the Conner family.   Please enjoy your doom and gloom predictions.  But I doubt anyone is counting on a 2nd season nor would it be some earth shattering news that it didn't get one.  No matter what, we're getting 11 episodes this year and that's 11 more than we thought we would get.  I'm going to continue to enjoy them for as long as it's on, even if it ends at the end of this season. 

• Love 19
16 hours ago, langford peel said:

That’s very true. But even good shows with small series commitments get cancelled by Netflicks when the trend is down and the have big price tickets. Witness  “Iron  Fist” and “Luke Cage.”

Eh.  They got cancelled because Disney owns them and they are starting their own streaming service.  Netflix will most likely lose Daredevil and Jessica Jones soon as well due to that.  Apples and oranges comparison.

A limited run would make sense for The Connors much like it does for The Good Place.

Edited by LBS
  • Love 6