Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Naked Smoothies

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

See, I thought Kate and Jeremiah were being passive-aggressive and disingenuous. Kate has learned to pull back on her earlier, nastier bully personality, and to talk a good game when confronted. But the jokes, raised eyebrows, rolled eyes, sarcasm and so on when Caroline isn't around are mean (to me). Especially after Caroline explains that their behavior upsets her.

Kate adores a clique and tries to wear the crown in all of her cliques. Hannah is the same way, but less skilled in hiding it.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

yeah this is the shark tank guy. He features it heavily in his linked-in.

It is the same guy and the FTC went after the company for false claims. They settled the suit by having to refund buyers money. The product is now sold to test for bad breath. He seems to be a complete douche so will probably be thrilled to see this edit.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Why did these guests even bother to go on a charter? They were so self absorbed that they didn’t even really appreciate the beautiful scenery. They could have gotten in front of a green screen with CGI and gotten the same photos. What’s up with the primary saying “Who..who..who” before snapping his selfie? Do those words give his lips their desired shape? It could also be the sucking in of his cheeks. Why wasn’t he taking photos of the sharks or the unique reef waves? Whatever, I dislike him and considering how much interaction he had with his guests, I suspect they don’t overly care for him either. 

• Love 15
12 hours ago, dosodog said:

Removing her will be like trying to get my old Siamese out of the cat carrier....take the roof off and he STILL figured out a way to king fu grip the side walls to be an immovable cat.

I have a plump calico who apparently has velcro claws; she can cling onto bare sheer surfaces when you try to pick her up!  

I too was irritated by the reworking of the "who would you fire" clip...we saw the full scene, doofuses!  

I was fascinated by the wave break way out past a lot of calm water, and all the people surfing on it.  

When they talked about the cleanup schedule for the crew mess, they kept focusing on the list on the wall, and the next name that hadn't been crossed off was Chandler.  Of course.  If he can avoid or offload work, he will.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

It's a foregone conclusion that production put Kate and her bunkmate together so that they would indulge their natural tendencies to meangirl.

I wonder if Chandler is an introvert (yes I know he's seeking TV fame) whose psyche can't tolerate intense work while managing unruly staff under the scrutiny of a stern captain. He's always running off to take naps, which is how some introverts deal with stress. Many introverts are exhausted by group dynamics. I also think he may have coasted a bit professionally, with daddy as a yacht captain. Big fish in little pond.

I'm sure Caroline's foot really hurts, but she's also needy and attention-seeking.

Does Captain Lee really manage the yacht full-time? We never see him doing captain stuff, other than barking orders during departures and arrivals. He's usually shown just sitting somewhere, waiting for his scenes to begin. Why don't they show him doing other stuff?

I think we don't see him a lot because he isn't the main focus of the show. The crew is supposed to be about the drama. He stays above it. Plus he is doing important things like making sure the boat doesn't crash into a reef or something. That would be boring to watch.

• Love 7

Understood. But when they DO show the captain, we don't see him studying and discussing all of the technical stuff on his big board of gizmos, or speaking on the phone with a harbormaster, or discussing engines or whatever. Probably because the REAL crew has to actually work off-camera to keep everyone safe. And Bravo doesn't want to pay more people.

Anyway, the way we see him underscores that he's playing a role for TV.

ETA: the stupid, obnoxious and nasty guests are not a good look for the consumer yachting experience.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Understood. But when they DO show the captain, we don't see him studying and discussing all of the technical stuff on his big board of gizmos, or speaking on the phone with a harbormaster, or discussing engines or whatever. Probably because the REAL crew has to actually work off-camera to keep everyone safe. And Bravo doesn't want to pay more people.

Anyway, the way we see him underscores that he's playing a role for TV.

ETA: the stupid, obnoxious and nasty guests are not a good look for the consumer yachting experience.

True. We did get that brief glimpse of him talking to what I think was the first mate. I would like to see the REAL crew, but you are probably right about Bravo.

The fluid surrounding that condom didn't look like semen to me. 

I'm thinking Karo syrup, water, and clear dishwashing liquid. In fact, it had to be fake, otherwise one of the crew could sue for intentional exposure to bio-hazards. Surely Bravo's attorneys thought about that.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 8

Chandler's constant napping really annoys me and he is not my boss and I'm not on the boat and it does not affect me but here we are.  When Ashton was talking about how tired the deck crew was, I wonder if that ties into the accident with the deckhand going overboard.  Exhaustion could cause sloppiness.  

I found the condom absolutely disgusting but why would Caroline get Ashton to take care of it?  (She asked him right?)  It is foul and crass, but deal with it like I deal with bugs-wrap an entire roll of paper towels around your hand, palm a plastic bag, and toss it.  Don't get me wrong-I totally blame that awful guest, but come on.  Also-she deleted her twitter last night/this morning.

Also my inappropriate attraction to Ashton and his Swayze eyes continues to grow.  

• Love 8

OK..... Reading the tweets from Lee, the answers, etc... and I get one of those crazy scenario coming in my head, that I'd like to share with you all, for a good laugh, lol !

You all remember of the guy (Ashton ?) being put in the water by a rope ? You also remember of Lee saying something regarding the worst thing ever happened, etc.. You also have watched the preview, when Lee was astoundished that there was apparently no one left on board ? You also remember Kate knocking at the door, etc... And if those 4 scenes were related and were telling one only story ? And the person locked in the room is Chandler... ("everyone who is awake" but Rhylee and Ashton go fishing with the guests. Ashton falls in the water, Rhylee tries to get him out, fall into the water too, both holding on the rope -they don't have life jackets, of course- or something like that... Lee trying to have someone on the radio, for any reason, etc...)

That's crazy, but... it could make sense. At least for me, lol !

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

I wonder if Chandler is an introvert (yes I know he's seeking TV fame) whose psyche can't tolerate intense work while managing unruly staff under the scrutiny of a stern captain. He's always running off to take naps, which is how some introverts deal with stress. Many introverts are exhausted by group dynamics. I also think he may have coasted a bit professionally, with daddy as a yacht captain. Big fish in little pond.

I'm very much an introvert. Group dynamics exhaust me and sleeping and isolating myself really do recharge me. However because group dynamics exhaust me, I tend to do a LOT of planning beforehand so that I don't have to spend more time than needed in those situations.

I used to work as a policy analyst and legislative aide for a state Senate committee. I had to interface with hundreds and thousands of people sometimes in a single day. To that end, I came up with a couple of innovations to make it a little easier. These are things that all of the committees still do like posting hearing topics and the process for testifying in front of the committee, giving witnesses visual prompts for when their set time was close to ending, and working with the library and AV department to come up a YouTube video about testifying. I had brought these ideas up in staff meetings before I did them. My bosses thought they were good ideas, but never seemed to have any urgency to enact them. I had to spend my own money and time to do it. My bosses were ultimately very happy with my efforts. And people who came to testify really appreciated it, but it was as much for me as them. I'm really not an organized person.

I've noticed many introverts tend to plan a lot because they don't like groups and hate to prolong them. Chandler is just a disorganized jerk and idiot. Kate's long written instructions and checklists are much more indicative of introversion because she doesn't like having those interactions over and over again. Introverts would go bonkers with the way Chandler runs the deck crew. By not having a set schedule, it means that his crew is constantly talking to him about what to do and when to go on break. By not coming up with a set protocol for launching the toys, his crew is constantly asking what to do. If he's truly an introvert then the way he's running his deck crew is only going to result in longer and more group interactions. 

Does Captain Lee really manage the yacht full-time? We never see him doing captain stuff, other than barking orders during departures and arrivals. He's usually shown just sitting somewhere, waiting for his scenes to begin. Why don't they show him doing other stuff?

We've actually seen a couple of cast members who were there in slightly different roles; Aleks and Bryan were actually first mates and Don was actually an engineer. Their interactions with their respective captains gives a slightly better indication of the captain's duties. A captain is responsible for the operation of the ship, repairs, safety, checking weather reports, interacting with harbor masters, the crew, and staying on budget. When Ben and the deck crew damaged a wall panel and that toilet, that's the captain's responsibility. It's only because of the show that Lee isn't really in charge of the crew and budget. We don't see more of Lee doing his job because it's boring. The show rarely shows Kate and Hannah doing inventory and provisioning because it's boring too.

It's the same reason all of those late 90s and early aughts films about hacking had all of those crappy CGI avatar scenes of people traveling through a VR landscape is because showing people typing on a keyboard is profoundly boring to watch.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 16
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Caroline is saying that asking Ashton to clean off the table was a prank she was pulling on him not that thencondom was fake.

Ok, I get it ! (French speaker here, so sometimes, I miss some "nuances")

10 hours ago, Jets4274 said:

To quote Caroline, Chandler is a dick and to quote Rhylee, Chandler is a complete prick. He seems to be one of those good-looking guys who acts so entitled and full of himself.  Wake up and do your job, asshole. I could care less about Rhylee but she's at least trying to do her job.  Chandler doesn't want to deal with her.  Wonder if there's some undercurrent of sexual tension that he's feeling towards her.  

I don't mind Ashton.  Know that he was a dick when they were out at the bar but many drunks get pompous and stupid.  Don't recall one episode where someone didn't act like an asshole under the influence (Kate).  He's good eye candy for the show.

Don't know if Caroline is a hypochondriac or not but she seems to have other issues that need to be managed.  I've been in situations where I'm not a part of the "cool group" and I didn't give two shits what they thought of me because I knew I was cooler than them.  It's called self-confidence.  People can smell desperate people wanting to be liked and run the other way.  That's how the world works.  

I love Captain Lee.

And that used condom was plain disgusting. Hope that the charter guests watching the episode were embarrassed but probably not.  

I think he did.  Was almost the equivalent of seeing a used tampon on TV.  Next.

Agree to all.

I have thought for sometime that all that hate towards Rhylee is that he hates her and hates himself because he wants to fuck her. He also hates the fact that she is a captain in her own right in a different sphere of seamanship. A fucking girl!?! She could save his damn life and he still would have a bug up his ass about her.

Caroline is a perfect example that you can't runaway and escape your problems and issues. Work and travel will only put them on the back burner momentarily but they are going rear their ugly head under stress.

Why do people go on national tv and be complete ass wipes? A normal person would want to be on their best behavior and be horrified if they did something to embarrass themselves. The guest is a sad sick little man. They all are if they want to be around a guy like that.

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

That makes more sense.  She was pulling a prank on Ashton, possibly as a way to make things less awkward with him after her weird flip out and the editing monkeys took out the set-up and made it look like the guests did it. 

The prank was just asking him to pic it up not putting it there.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

That makes more sense.  She was pulling a prank on Ashton, possibly as a way to make things less awkward with him after her weird flip out and the editing monkeys took out the set-up and made it look like the guests did it. 

I don't think so, since afterward weren't they all dishing about it in the galley? I mean otherwise she'd be saying "I pulled a great joke on Ashton" wouldn't she?

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The prank was just asking him to pic it up not putting it there.

Are you sure?  Because as someone else stated, it didn't look real.  I mean, I'm not a jizz expert though, but that's why I thought it might be a fake last night, but I thought the guests or production were the culprits.

21 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I don't think so, since afterward weren't they all dishing about it in the galley? I mean otherwise she'd be saying "I pulled a great joke on Ashton" wouldn't she?

She could have and it was edited to suit the narrative.  I don't recall if we dropped in mid-conversation or not.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Are you sure? 

That is clearly what she is saying the prank was, she is responding to a tweet saying it was mean to make Ashton pick it up and says she pointed out before he touched it and she then picked it up with the ziplock bag. We also saw her initially discover it which would make no sense if she had put it there.

Its actually shocking that this and the “milky white stain” on the decorative pillow attributed to Ben and Kat that there haven’t been a lot of disgusting things in the guest rooms. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, pasdetrois said:

I'm thinking Karo syrup, water, and clear dishwashing liquid. In fact, it had to be fake, otherwise one of the crew could sue for intentional exposure to bio-hazards. Surely Bravo's attorneys thought about that.

Nope. Nope. Nope. If you've seen a reality tv contract, the cast are NOT employees. Furthermore, the contract EXPLICITLY waives the production company, Bravo, and NBC Universal of any liability for any injury or death that might happen to the cast.

https://jezebel.com/5826974/real-world-contracts-stipulate-that-you-could-die-and-mtvs-not-to-blame

https://www.parsalaw.com/what-you-need-to-know-before-signing-a-reality-tv-contract

There are a handful of other contracts out there including Tamra Judge's. They all have similar language. You could die on the ship and there's nothing your family could do. They could make up outright lies about you and there isn't shit you can do about it. Generally, Bravo doesn't love it when shows "produce" (manipulate) too much. Shahs is one of the most produced shows on Bravo, but it's also a Ryan Seacrest production.

However, this is not the type of manipulative stuff producers typically do because it wouldn't necessarily result in any real storyline to do so. It's a little like being a trial lawyer. Don't ask questions you don't know the answer to. You can't and shouldn't "produce" unless you have some indication how it will end up. You can't just throw things at the wall hoping that something will stick. That's a quick way to waste a lot of time and money or potentially miss something really good. Producers sometimes give cast 2 different call times knowing that one is habitually late and the other is always punctual. The producers would have to know that the charter guests are really bad about sexually inappropriate behavior to make planting a used condom worthwhile. I think you might expect that from the Naked News charter or the Tilted Kilt, but not necessarily from a breathalyzer app. Or that couple that sexually harassed Jen. 

Finally as far as we can tell, there has NEVER been a successful legal challenge of a reality tv contract. There have been some close calls, Tonya Cooley's challenge of her MTV contract after she was raped on camera by 2 castmates (Viacom settled with her) and the current dispute with Jeff Lewis' surrogate, but by and large those contracts allow the producers to do whatever they want and the cast has little recourse.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 7

As a housekeeper at a ski resort in my teens in the 80's I lost count of the used condoms we would find.  Most were in the sheets meaning the guests slept with that mess.  We definitely had gloves when we cleaned the rooms.  The disinfectants in the industrial cleaners we used to clean alone made you wear gloves for your own protection.  The guests were more at risk for picking up something than housekeeping would and it was rightfully deserved.

• Love 7

Finally as far as we can tell, there has NEVER been a successful legal challenge of a reality tv contract.

I think one of the first participants on Survivor sued Mark Burnett, but I don't recall how that turned out. More recently my understanding is that Sue on Life Below Zero sued the production company because of a bad injury she suffered on a snowmobile. Don't know what the status is. And one of the Alaskan vets also claims to have been injured, but I don't know if she threatened litigation.

I understand your point however. But I still think the "semen" was fake, simply because common sense dictates that strangers don't handle human body fluids.

1 hour ago, Giselle said:

The guest is a sad sick little man. They all are if they want to be around a guy like that.

The guests of the principle are always in the background, non-entities. Even "fiancees" are mere scenery.  Maybe production hires them as "fillers"? They come across as nothing more than freeloading famewhores. 

I would have left it there.

In fact they may have resisted cleaning it up but in setting up for the scene, the producers probably made her clean it up, just so they can have the reaction shots and the talking heads to talk about it.

She could have said no fucking way and forced some poor production assistant to clean it up but the producers probably thought it would be "good TV" to make the cast members react to it and make it a thing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

I've noticed many introverts tend to plan a lot because they don't like groups and hate to prolong them. Chandler is just a disorganized jerk and idiot. Kate's long written instructions and checklists are much more indicative of introversion because she doesn't like having those interactions over and over again. Introverts would go bonkers with the way Chandler runs the deck crew. By not having a set schedule, it means that his crew is constantly talking to him about what to do and when to go on break. By not coming up with a set protocol for launching the toys, his crew is constantly asking what to do. If he's truly an introvert then the way he's running his deck crew is only going to result in longer and more group interactions. 

Yup. I'm more of an ambivert, but I always plan everything to the T. When I arrive somewhere, I need to know when I'm leaving so I can decompress. Chandler just comes off as super lazy and entitled, to me. 

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

I think one of the first participants on Survivor sued Mark Burnett, but I don't recall how that turned out. More recently my understanding is that Sue on Life Below Zero sued the production company because of a bad injury she suffered on a snowmobile. Don't know what the status is. And one of the Alaskan vets also claims to have been injured, but I don't know if she threatened litigation.

I understand your point however. But I still think the "semen" was fake, simply because common sense dictates that strangers don't handle human body fluids.

If you're talking about Stacey, she settled.

https://medium.com/a-tribe-of-one/the-stacey-stillman-case-a-deep-dive-caa7816a27a1

Sue's lawsuit was dismissed without prejudice, but I suspect she'll settle.

• Love 2

Whether or not the condom was real or not, it was a disgusting scene. I use to work in a Library, and we found a used condom in the book return bin. My biggest pet peeve is people using their phones at dinner. I’d seriously push all those losers overboard. They are not living life, but merely recording it. 

I’ll say this again, Caroline should not be working on a yacht, let alone a yacht filmed for reality tv. Her moods change quickly, and its a bit single white female of her to be lurking in the hallway to eavesdrop.

Adrian is very talented. The ability to create amazing food with no recipe, or lead time is mindblowing to me, and he does it with no fluster, or frustration.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Barbara Please said:

Adrian is very talented. The ability to create amazing food with no recipe, or lead time is mindblowing to me, and he does it with no fluster, or frustration.

and he does things that are unusual-- not the same old "nice food" that the other chefs have done. What was the recent thing? tequila soaked watermelon spheres, arugula and a watermelon cloud. And some feta in there also. Mind-blowing. He seems to live food and cooking.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, dosodog said:

say at this point his only "fault" are the lame sexual innuendos. 

They are so very lame! I mean they have no place in the workplace but it’s also almost embarrassing how lame they are.

• Love 9

Caroline's foot may not have looked that bad but having that kind of infection can get serious really fast.  My niece vacationed in Bali a few years ago and got some kind of bug or spider bite on her arm the last day she was there.  When she got home her arm hurt a bit but she thought she had slept wrong on it.  Over the next 48 hours the pain became unbearable, her arm swelled to twice it size and she had a 104 degree fever.  She was in the ICU on a morphine drip for over a week.  They could not figure out which antibiotic would work on this type of "tropical infection".  She almost lost her arm and her life.  The doctor said she got so sick because being a visitor in Bali, her body did not have the same type of immunities to deal with the infection.  

I have know doubt that Caroline was in A LOT of pain and had potentially serious infection.  She was sick and in pain but she still tried to do her job.  I give her a lot of credit. 

• Love 16

I'm so mad at Caroline's attitude especially toward Ashton.  Not nice.  I defended her last week! Sounded like she picked up a lesson in sarcasm from the great Kate Chastain BUT she doesn't pull it off like Kate & just comes off corny and awkward.  She needs to stay in her lane and be nice and hardworking.  Now, due to injury, the hardworking /positive attitude parts- or to Kate, the only redeeming qualities, are going out the window. 

Chandler is really good....at scheduling....his naps! Also, eating his feelings via the big bowl of ice cream after the captain talk lol. What a Baby!!! My DVR cut out briefly but all I saw was him say to Caroline "I'm not here." Okkkayyyy...asshat. I pity him bc he looks up to his dad & I think he's really starting to feel embarrassed of his behavior with nary a clue how to fix it. Kate is Kate. Josiah is Kate. I liked Rhylee answering back bc let's face it, I've been here before- at least towards some people in my life. I think we've all been a bit Rhylee before.  I don't dislike her, Ross or Ashton. 

Adrian is ADORABLE, talented ,humble, kind, humorous.

Guests = fake /producer manipulated.  The condom- why would cameras follow Caroline to do turndown this ONCE? Pretty uneventful situation so hmm.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

Adrian is ADORABLE, talented ,humble, kind, humorous.

If he's as good as he appears to be, he should be on Top Chef! He'd be a welcome addition for this devoted viewer.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

If he's as good as he appears to be, he should be on Top Chef! He'd be a welcome addition for this devoted viewer.

I've never watched top chef but saw the juniors one with my kids on "universal kids" channel.  They enjoy that stuff. If it's a step up financially and brings exposure to Adrian and it's not any conflict with Bravo contract then I say why not go for it! Love this guy. So unique!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

I've never watched top chef but saw the juniors one with my kids on "universal kids" channel.  They enjoy that stuff. If it's a step up financially and brings exposure to Adrian and it's not any conflict with Bravo contract then I say why not go for it! Love this guy. So unique!

Since it's on Bravo (and Bravo loves cross-overs) I think it would work contract-wise. TC is mainly good for chefs who eventually want to be an executive chef/chef owner who want to build buzz among well-traveled customers. I myself have intentionally sought out chefs who have done well (and who I've liked) on TC (and generally been very happy with the visit). However, he may have zero interest in ever owning/operating a restaurant.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

However, he may have zero interest in ever owning/operating a restaurant.

Yes especially since his dad owned a BBQ  place he mentioned and he probably knows what it entails. I get a vibe from him of what Adam on BDM tries to go for but less hipster in the approach- which is to say, "living out of my van without need of material possessions." I also wonder since Adrian says he doesnt follow recipes- If he could duplicate his popular dishes, should the request turn up. He seems to really FLOW in such a way that even he doesn't know what will pour out of him. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ohcomeon said:

It is the same guy and the FTC went after the company for false claims. They settled the suit by having to refund buyers money. The product is now sold to test for bad breath. He seems to be a complete douche so will probably be thrilled to see this edit.

Nothing an investor likes to see more in his start  up CEO is that person spending time and money on a yacht and not working. Way to go.

• Love 6

And I think Chandler will gone soon. There's not much else to speculate on. He's on Captain's radar and won't soon be off. Even with her injury, Caroline is willing to contribute.  We've seen far more useless stews than that! Surprised Adrian doesn't help her out with some holistic remedies . I just had an article for Reiki pop up on my page and I've looked into it before and sure Adrian knows all about it. 

That said , Caroline's injury shouldn't be taken lightly.  Exotic locations have some weird bacteria etc. Not even exotic- several times per year we hear about a flesh eating bacteria in a southern state killing /maiming otherwise healthy young people. If she had a painful cut /bite , whatever she described it as , causing her foot to swell and antibiotics- it's nothing to sneeze at. Josiah said "it's not like it's broken or anything..." sure. But it may end up worse for her than a broken bone depending what it is (at the time bc shes obviously fine today). Look at Zika virus... not so long ago, people had no idea what that was. Maybe I sound "alarmist" but I like to look deeper.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

How will Chandler ever find gainful employment after this? He's proven himself to be an awful manager, plus makes mistakes that first timers would (ex: changing channel on the radio). Also he seems to have No personality, so he's not good for drama purposes. If I were Capt Lee, I would never work with him again.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

and he does things that are unusual-- not the same old "nice food" that the other chefs have done. What was the recent thing? tequila soaked watermelon spheres, arugula and a watermelon cloud. And some feta in there also. Mind-blowing. He seems to live food and cooking.

They're not that novel. Watermelon feta salad has been kicking around for quite some time as has compressed fruit. The watermelon cloud has me stumped; I suspect it's a foam. The feta watermelon salad is on a lot of catering menus. The thing that Adrian does better than any of the other chefs is take dishes that are slightly upscale and either deconstruct them or use a bit of molecular gastronomy to elevate it.

I'm a bit of a foodie so I follow some of these techniques and trends. You can make compressed fruit with a vacuum sealer. I have a handful of dishes where I do things like that: caesar salad inspired deviled eggs with a parmesan frico and grilled romaine or fish taco inspired caviar and blinis (corn blini with quick pickled cabbage and red onions, avocado crema, and salmon roe). But my inspiration is decidedly low brow.

Adrian takes inspiration from dishes that are elevated, but not so much that they are offputting or challenging and elevates them with technique.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

They're not that novel. Watermelon feta salad has been kicking around for quite some time as has compressed fruit. The watermelon cloud has me stumped; I suspect it's a foam. The feta watermelon salad is on a lot of catering menus. The thing that Adrian does better than any of the other chefs is take dishes that are slightly upscale and either deconstruct them or use a bit of molecular gastronomy to elevate it.

I'm a bit of a foodie so I follow some of these techniques and trends. You can make compressed fruit with a vacuum sealer. I have a handful of dishes where I do things like that: caesar salad inspired deviled eggs with a parmesan frico and grilled romaine or fish taco inspired caviar and blinis (corn blini with quick pickled cabbage and red onions, avocado crema, and salmon roe). But my inspiration is decidedly low brow.

Adrian takes inspiration from dishes that are elevated, but not so much that they are offputting or challenging and elevates them with technique.

"Low brow", my ass.

OK, so how do I finagle an invite to dinner?   Or get some easy recipes for one?   Because you are presenting as somewhat of a palate teaser!   And I am decidedly hangry!  ;-)

ETA - and that watermelon thingy was done on one of the early seasons of Top Chef, by that hot/or not diabetic chef.

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 9

I’m liking Ashton more and more.  He seems like such a great team player.  Riley is being treated poorly by Chandler, but not the others.  Chandler is way too petty to be bosun.  

I’m inclined to still think that Caroline is the one to leave.  She’s not stable.  

• Love 6
19 hours ago, dleighg said:

LOL I had the same thought. His linked in lists "reality tv personality" first! LOL. https://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmichaelyim/

Looks like he's "riding the wave." He certainly has had a lot of "ideas." Wonder whether he'll survive the next tech bubble collapse.

Awesome, so the low class piece of shit little dick is named CHARLES MICHAEL YIM. And said CHARLES MICHAEL YIM - who leaves USED CONDOMS AROUND for others to clean up - is also listed on LinkedIn under the name CHARLES MICHAEL LIM - who leaves USED CONDOMS laying around. I hope from this post onward, we can all use his full name and what he did so that whenever someone googles CHARLES MICHAEL YIM, they can easily find this thread about how this classless douchebag leaves his used condoms around for the help to clean up. Maybe future VCs will see this thread and steer clear of this disgusting asshole. That would be sweet.

Wait, what was the douche’s name again? Oh yeah, it was CHARLES  MICHAEL YIM and he leaves his used condoms around for other people to clean up. Asshat. 

• Love 17
12 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

lmao!

I just play one on TV

9 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Awesome, so the low class piece of shit little dick is named CHARLES MICHAEL YIM. And said CHARLES MICHAEL YIM - who leaves USED CONDOMS AROUND for others to clean up - is also listed on LinkedIn under the name CHARLES MICHAEL LIM - who leaves USED CONDOMS laying around. I hope from this post onward, we can all use his full name and what he did so that whenever someone googles CHARLES MICHAEL YIM, they can easily find this thread about how this classless douchebag leaves his used condoms around for the help to clean up. Maybe future VCs will see this thread and steer clear of this disgusting asshole. That would be sweet.

Wait, what was the douche’s name again? Oh yeah, it was CHARLES  MICHAEL YIM and he leaves his used condoms around for other people to clean up. Asshat. 

LOL

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

17 hours ago, Kdawg82 said:

Yes especially since his dad owned a BBQ  place he mentioned and he probably knows what it entails. I get a vibe from him of what Adam on BDM tries to go for but less hipster in the approach- which is to say, "living out of my van without need of material possessions." I also wonder since Adrian says he doesnt follow recipes- If he could duplicate his popular dishes, should the request turn up. He seems to really FLOW in such a way that even he doesn't know what will pour out of him. 

I don't know if Adrian has the bona fides to be competitive on Top Chef. At this point in the show, as few as 10% and as many as 40% of the chefs have had prior experience working in a Michelin starred restaurant and usually 50% have been nominated for a James Beard Award. Though I doubt anyone will come in with a worse resume than Mike Midgley. He's never worked for a Michelin starred restaurant or a James Beard nominee or winner. I don't even know if he attended culinary school. I think he might have been working at a TGIFridays when he was cast. That kind of thing doesn't happen too often on the show anymore.

• Love 1