Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Narcan is sold over the counter at Walgreens in 46 states (not 45 as stated in the link title).  https://vitals.lifehacker.com/narcan-is-now-available-over-the-counter-in-45-states-1819896107

4 hours ago, ketose said:

Maybe, but I don't hold out much hope for a second season.

Given the poor performance of its predecessors in the time slot, it may have a chance actually. Relatively speaking, it's improved the spot.  However, the modestly improved ratings may not make up for its costs (Fillion probably doesn't come cheap). So yeah I hold one tick mark of hope more than your "not much".

Edited by TWP
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, TWP said:

Narcan is sold over the counter at Walgreens in 46 states (not 45 as stated in the link title).  https://vitals.lifehacker.com/narcan-is-now-available-over-the-counter-in-45-states-1819896107

Given the poor performance of its predecessors in the time slot, it may have a chance actually. Relatively speaking, it's improved the spot.  However, the modestly improved ratings may not make up for its costs (Fillion probably doesn't come cheap). So yeah I hold one tick mark of hope more than your "not much".

Don't underestimate the power of international sales these days in recouping costs and creating profit for all involved. The Rookie has already been sold to at least 160 territories (likely has increased since that was announced a while ago). It's already started airing in Spain and Portugal and will begin in Latin America this month. Those are just the ones I've come across announcing the premiere dates. 

Just one of many things considered in renewal decisions these days. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

Don't underestimate the power of international sales these days in recouping costs and creating profit for all involved. The Rookie has already been sold to at least 160 territories (likely has increased since that was announced a while ago). It's already started airing in Spain and Portugal and will begin in Latin America this month. Those are just the ones I've come across announcing the premiere dates. 

Just one of many things considered in renewal decisions these days. 

Someone pointed out elsewhere that The Muppets had high international sales too.  ........It looks like EOne is doing all the selling, but they may pass extra dollars through to ABC to keep the show alive.  Who knows?  Also, these days it seems that the networks think in terms of worst case scenarios, i.e., if they pull The Rookie, maybe the new show will do worse.  Given that The Rookie has done much better in the time slot than other recent shows, it may stumble over the finish line for a season 2.  I am hoping.  It's one of the few shows on TV that isn't a soap, superhero, zombie, about horrific topics like cancer or suicide, or uber violent, so I keep believing that ABC will continue to supply me with something to watch.  We'll see.

2 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

But, he's also an Executive Producer. He might be taking less salary as an actor but gets more money, or the chance for more money, in his other role.

We'll have to wait for the Forbes list of highest paid actors. If he doesn't make it, we'll know he's getting paid less than he was on Castle.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, TWP said:

Someone pointed out elsewhere that The Muppets had high international sales too.  ........It looks like EOne is doing all the selling, but they may pass extra dollars through to ABC to keep the show alive.  Who knows?  Also, these days it seems that the networks think in terms of worst case scenarios, i.e., if they pull The Rookie, maybe the new show will do worse.  Given that The Rookie has done much better in the time slot than other recent shows, it may stumble over the finish line for a season 2.  I am hoping.  It's one of the few shows on TV that isn't a soap, superhero, zombie, about horrific topics like cancer or suicide, or uber violent, so I keep believing that ABC will continue to supply me with something to watch.  We'll see.

We'll have to wait for the Forbes list of highest paid actors. If he doesn't make it, we'll know he's getting paid less than he was on Castle.

I couldn't agree with you more on the content of most tv shows these days. I get enough of the horrible topics on the news and in real life, and never been into superhero or zombie stuff. I do think there is some truth to the "death slot" worse case scenario that if ABC pulls it, the replacement will be worse. It's happened to them before in that slot.

No idea how those international sales break down, but I can only assume ABC gets a cut since the show is co-produced.

One other note that may or may not be of any importance - TR does better than AMLT, Single Parents and several other ABC shows in ratings with males across all age groups. I think ABC has always had the reputation of drawing a more female audience. If they're trying to increase their male viewership, TR seems to help in that regard. 

On 10/30/2018 at 11:02 PM, Moose135 said:

I wonder what the filming schedule is for these things - 9-1-1 had a call earlier this season where an ATM repair guy got caught inside the machine housing and needed to be rescued.  Coincidence or not?

Because I watch this, 9-1-1, Station 19 and all the Chicago shows (Med/Fire/P.D.) I've noticed just this season how many storylines are being duplicated within a few weeks of each other and posted something about that not too long ago ... so last night when I watched this after having seen the 9-1-1 episode not that long ago (I was about a week or two behind -- that ran the first week of October) I definitely started thinking this was getting out of hand. I have to assume that all of these episodes are written/filmed/in the can well before they air and this WAS based on a true event but still ... yeah!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I am very sure I saw a fictional character trapped in an ATM quite a few years ago. Was there also a recent occurrence IRL headlines from which these stories were ripped?

Apparently, it happened in Texas in July 2017: Texas man stuck in ATM slips 'help me' note through receipt slot

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas --- A man trapped in an ATM was rescued Wednesday  after slipping notes begging for help through the receipt slot, according to authorities.  The man was a contractor who was working on the machine when he accidentally locked himself inside, according to Corpus Christi police officer Gena Pena. Police arrived to the 400 block of North Mesquite Street about 2:05 p.m. after a passerby saw a note the man slipped in the receipt slot asking for someone to help him. The note also said he didn't have a cellphone with him. Police said some people thought it was a joke. Pena said no one could hear the contractor in the ATM and said several officers had to kick the door in to rescue him.

image.thumb.png.59bb5e1b3a706b0899f2ab7cfcc080d2.png

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Because I watch this, 9-1-1, Station 19 and all the Chicago shows (Med/Fire/P.D.) I've noticed just this season how many storylines are being duplicated within a few weeks of each other and posted something about that not too long ago ... so last night when I watched this after having seen the 9-1-1 episode not that long ago (I was about a week or two behind -- that ran the first week of October) I definitely started thinking this was getting out of hand. I have to assume that all of these episodes are written/filmed/in the can well before they air and this WAS based on a true event but still ... yeah!

My guess is all these types of shows like TR, 9-1-1 etc. have people scouring the headlines looking for bizarre stories to incorporate into fictional episodes. It's no surprise that several would have locked in on this one as one that could be exploited for humor or drama. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

One other note that may or may not be of any importance - TR does better than AMLT, Single Parents and several other ABC shows in ratings with males across all age groups. I think ABC has always had the reputation of drawing a more female audience. If they're trying to increase their male viewership, TR seems to help in that regard. 

Unfortunately, it also skews older -- not to NCIS levels, mind you, but still.  So do they want males or do they want young people?  If only we could be a fly on the wall in that discussion -- and could buzz around any faces that give the wrong answer :-D.

The Muppets was also a Disney/ABC co-production, so I probably won't count on international sales to save TR.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, TWP said:

Unfortunately, it also skews older -- not to NCIS levels, mind you, but still.  So do they want males or do they want young people?  If only we could be a fly on the wall in that discussion -- and could buzz around any faces that give the wrong answer :-D.

The Muppets was also a Disney/ABC co-production, so I probably won't count on international sales to save TR.

Are they mutually exclusive? If they want young people, then they won’t find them anywhere on network TV. If you scan the median viewer age of any network show, only the CW has one or two shows with a median age of less than 50. Otherwise all shows are 55 and over, most in the 60’s. 

I could go on a rant about how obsolete the current measuring system is and that viewers over 49 do matter, and that 50 and 60 year olds today are vastly different and far more open to new things than my parents generation. But I won’t lol. 

I just read an article the other day that 18-25 year olds aren’t even watching much “tv”, they’re far more into video games and YouTube. 

Ps: I’d rather be a mosquito that could bite them! 

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

Are they mutually exclusive? If they want young people, then they won’t find them anywhere on network TV. If you scan the median viewer age of any network show, only the CW has one or two shows with a median age of less than 50. Otherwise all shows are 55 and over, most in the 60’s. 

I could go on a rant about how obsolete the current measuring system is and that viewers over 49 do matter, and that 50 and 60 year olds today are vastly different and far more open to new things than my parents generation. But I won’t lol. 

I just read an article the other day that 18-25 year olds aren’t even watching much “tv”, they’re far more into video games and YouTube. 

Yeah, The Flash skews crazy young compared to about everyone else.

You might convince the networks, but the advertisers are the final deciders.  They don't think we 55 year olds are buying what they're selling.  They may be right.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

My guess is all these types of shows like TR, 9-1-1 etc. have people scouring the headlines looking for bizarre stories to incorporate into fictional episodes.

I was ABSOLUTELY thinking about that when I was writing that last post and also thinking that now that I am retired after 30-plus years in journalism, I would LOVE to get a part-time job scouring newspapers (online or wherever) to come up with "torn from the headlines" stories for all these shows to incorporate. What a great gig that would be!

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I was ABSOLUTELY thinking about that when I was writing that last post and also thinking that now that I am retired after 30-plus years in journalism, I would LOVE to get a part-time job scouring newspapers (online or wherever) to come up with "torn from the headlines" stories for all these shows to incorporate. What a great gig that would be!

It’s never too late to start over ;-)

• Love 1

It's one of the few shows on TV that isn't ....uber violent,

My Lord, murders, suicides, street fights.... you Americans have a much different opinion of what is violent that we do here in Canada.

You might convince the networks, but the advertisers are the final deciders.  They don't think we 55 year olds are buying what they're selling.  They may be right.

Marshall McLuhan pointed out that what the networks are selling is eyeballs. We are not the customers, we are the product.

Look at the ads. If they are for cheap cars, candy and pop, or take out food, the advertisers want a young demographic. If they are for expensive cars, medicines, or cruises, the advertisers want an older audience.

DH has the same sort of crush on Rachel Maddow as I do on Nathan (hopeless, because I'm old enough to be NFs mum and Rachel occasionally mentions her wife, Susan) and I notice that her show is heavy on medicines, Wayfair.com, and insurance ads. For some reason the ads on RM feature a lot more black, asian, and racially mixed couples than the ads on most broadcast shows. (Not a complaint, just an observation) I'd compare FauxNews for the ads but I can't take them for more than one or two minutes. It's also a bit skewed because Canadians actually see somewhat different ads than the American site broadcasts.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

It's one of the few shows on TV that isn't ....uber violent,

My Lord, murders, suicides, street fights.... you Americans have a much different opinion of what is violent that we do here in Canada.

I should have said graphically uber violent.  I'm thinking of Walking Dead and "Denny" with the barb-wire-decorated bat and that sort of image.  (I call "Denny" by his Grey's Anatomy name, because I don't know or care about his Walking Dead name).   I'm also thinking of the prison arc on Arrow. Or just about anything on The Mayans.  And the constant underlying psychological torture that goes along with all of it.  It actually gives me nightmares.  Criminal Minds is another good one.

On The Rookie, there's a hint at potential violence, but they don't cover it in nearly as grave of detail as in  other shows.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TWP said:

I should have said graphically uber violent.  I'm thinking of Walking Dead and "Denny" with the barb-wire-decorated bat and that sort of image.  (I call "Denny" by his Grey's Anatomy name, because I don't know or care about his Walking Dead name).   I'm also thinking of the prison arc on Arrow. Or just about anything on The Mayans.  And the constant underlying psychological torture that goes along with all of it.  It actually gives me nightmares.  Criminal Minds is another good one.

On The Rookie, there's a hint at potential violence, but they don't cover it in nearly as grave of detail as in  other shows.

@TWP, I hope you're not watching any of those shows anymore. I'm not!
During the 30 years I didn't watch TV, I spent at least 15 years reading only Jane Austen--nothing graphic even suggested there.
Now I watch graphic violence if it's not just there to appeal to prurient interests. For instance, I think Breaking Bad and now Barry use violence to tell a significant story. Mr. Robot uses violence for artistic reasons too, but sometimes it's a little too graphic for me. If MR had more episodes per season or too many more seasons, I'd probably quit; but, if it was produced that way, I suspect the motives would be more financial than artistic anyway.
With The Rookie, the violence may not be so graphic, but I'm on the fence as to whether its purpose makes the show something I want to watch or not.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

@TWP, I hope you're not watching any of those shows anymore. I'm not!
During the 30 years I didn't watch TV, I spent at least 15 years reading only Jane Austen--nothing graphic even suggested there.
Now I watch graphic violence if it's not just there to appeal to prurient interests. For instance, I think Breaking Bad and now Barry use violence to tell a significant story. Mr. Robot uses violence for artistic reasons too, but sometimes it's a little too graphic for me. If MR had more episodes per season or too many more seasons, I'd probably quit; but, if it was produced that way, I suspect the motives would be more financial than artistic anyway.
With The Rookie, the violence may not be so graphic, but I'm on the fence as to whether its purpose makes the show something I want to watch or not.

I never did watch those shows.  Husband does.  I watched a little at first because I was in the room and now ask husband to watch something else or I leave the room.

The Rookie really glosses things over, so it doesn't bother me as much.  It's the psychological torture that gets to me.  And yes, I skipped the serial killer arcs and the Beckett 24/water torture arc on Castle too.  I'm just not into that.  I lived near Spokane during the Kevin Coe era and now live about 10 minutes from one of Ted Bundy's favorite sites to pick up women.  The rapist or serial killer theme is just TOO real to be entertaining.

But yeah, smart comedies (I love Superstore), dramedies as long as they aren't soaps, sometimes sci-fi (The Orville is entertaining) and documentaries are my go-to. So I have 3 shows, LOL. If not for the husband who is a TV addict, I wouldn't own a television.  I'd be so much happier.

But this is an episode thread.  We are definitely off-topic!

• Love 2
On 10/30/2018 at 9:21 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

So was the Medevac helicopter just flying itself? Hope it doesn't crash outside the ER.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:33 PM, AnimeMania said:

I think the crook told the pilot of the helicopter to take off so that the police would chase it. The crook then hides in the hospital until the police leave and escapes.

My fanwank was that she forced the pilot to take off, or she would shoot him.

• Love 5

I've hung around political blogs too much to like any term that has "wank" in it.  Ha-ha.  Conjures up the image of a low life, in their parent's cold drab basement, all alone in their relationship, um, if you know what I mean.  Ha-ha.

I think I like the term "fan fiction" better ;-).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, TWP said:

I've hung around political blogs too much to like any term that has "wank" in it.  Ha-ha.  Conjures up the image of a low life, in their parent's cold drab basement, all alone in their relationship, um, if you know what I mean.  Ha-ha.

I think I like the term "fan fiction" better ;-).

Fan fiction however came to mean things like the unauthorized Star Trek stories that were self published. The term I have heard in the last couple of years to explain a plot point while  bypassing the Anglo wank, slang has been "head canon".

• Love 2
On 10/30/2018 at 9:55 PM, BlakesMomma said:

Apparently the ATM thing is not uncommon. Someone tweeted an article during the episode of the same thing happening in NYC very recently.

Maybe it happens a lot - the article I found (and @Moose135 posted along with pictures) was of an incident in July 2017 - which would be right around the time they would be breaking the season stories down. But if it happens a lot, then the banks really need to come up with a fail safe of some sort - or hire smarter technicians.

On 10/30/2018 at 11:25 PM, TWP said:

Content-wise, I want to know, if they caught the crook on the roof, who was in the helicopter? A patient, or....

I know - I thought about if it was just a regular medical flight - then those poor people had an unfortunate encounter with a police helicopter.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:59 AM, madmaverick said:

Like that Chen's speaking up to Bradford as he did put her at risk.  His test of stealing her belt was also interesting to me, as I hadn't thought about that aspect of police work.  Bradford's wife being a cop was surprising but also not; I'm not sure how invested I am though in his wife being a junkie storyline.

the second she put her belt on the hook I was "oh no, you never do that!" I've been indoctrinated to never put my purse there. Fortunately, I have a backpack purse so I never have to put it on the nasty floor.

On 11/1/2018 at 3:34 AM, mxc90 said:

The writers were inconsistent with Bradford's abilities, he has x ray vision to know where the belt was located, super speed and is in great shape (showed no signs of being winded standing next to the squad car) but earlier we saw him struggle with the halligan at the bank (looked tired and weak). How was he cleared to return to work if his wound isn't healed?

I'm not sure super speed was necessary, she had to pull up her pants and zip them before running. My take was that the halligan is what did the damage to his wound - but yeah, if it was still fresh enough to open with effort, then he shouldn't have been cleared to work.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:06 AM, Moose135 said:

Apparently, it happened in Texas in July 2017: Texas man stuck in ATM slips 'help me' note through receipt slot

image.thumb.png.59bb5e1b3a706b0899f2ab7cfcc080d2.png

That's the article I found too. Crazy.

On 11/2/2018 at 1:02 PM, TWP said:

Yeah, but you know, I never bought it when I was 25 either. Commercials were the time to go to the bathroom, get a snack, or read a newspaper article. I'm off of cable and network tv these days, so I don't see broadcast tv commercials. And I may be old(er), but fricking hate the prescription medicine commercials (though there was one that had a side effect of uncontrollable explosive diarrhea that made me laugh - but certainly not want to take the medicine).

As for the 1 out of 3 rookies fail. Just because you have a group of 3, it doesn't mean that one of you will wash out. That's not how statistics work. There might be another group where all three wash out.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure super speed was necessary, she had to pull up her pants and zip them before running

(Already having a wound from the halligan adventure) He grabs the belt, opens the bathroom door, runs/zig zags to avoid people (maybe some tables), opens another door to get outside, zooms down a ramp/stairs to the squad car, toss the belt in the car (he would need to unlock the door/roll down window due to rules of never keeping cars unlocked), and calmly strikes a pose by the car (by that time Chen is running out the front door). He didn't get a 2 minute head start...That's fast for him or she's a slow zipper.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Shall her nickname henceforth be Officer Slow Zipper?

Yes.

I would have recommended "Piss and Boots" but that didn't come up well in a google search.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, jhlipton said:

For me, "fan fiction" means a whole story, rather than explaining a small detail.  "Head canon" works.

True, but how long does a story have to be?   "Head canon" does work.

On 11/6/2018 at 11:35 PM, BlakesMomma said:
On 11/6/2018 at 7:18 PM, jhlipton said:

My fanwank was that she forced the pilot to take off, or she would shoot him.

"Fanwank" - that's a new one for me. LOL

. . .

54 minutes ago, TWP said:
15 hours ago, jhlipton said:

For me, "fan fiction" means a whole story, rather than explaining a small detail.  "Head canon" works.

True, but how long does a story have to be?   "Head canon" does work.

Just a few more options/considerations--after which we'd have to start a separate thread:
Methodology (LOL):
I Googled
(headcanon or "head canon") vs fanwank 
and found Chat: Fanwanking, Headcanons, Fanon, etc.
after which I Googled
(headcanon or "head canon") vs fanwank vs (fanfiction or "fan fiction") and found TV Trope's "Fanon" and Fanlore's "Fanon," and more.

• Love 1
On 10/31/2018 at 6:24 PM, Soobs said:

Also, I live in Los Angeles and it's always fun seeing all the landmarks.

Yeah, between Circus Liquor and Chili John's, they're really hitting that stretch of Burbank Blvd hard! :)

13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

. . .

Just a few more options/considerations--after which we'd have to start a separate thread:
Methodology (LOL):
I Googled
(headcanon or "head canon") vs fanwank  and found Chat: Fanwanking, Headcanons, Fanon, etc.
after which I Googled
(headcanon or "head canon") vs fanwank vs (fanfiction or "fan fiction") and found TV Trope's "Fanon" and Fanlore's "Fanon," and more.

I have a sneaking suspicion that over the next 17 episodes we'll have many occasions to discuss head-fankon ;-), so maybe we really do need a thread for it ;-)

Also, I have huge respect for your commitment to this topic.

3 hours ago, auntiemel said:

Yeah, between Circus Liquor and Chili John's, they're really hitting that stretch of Burbank Blvd hard! :)

I can see a cottage industry opening up of The Rookie LA scenery tours....well, if the show makes it a few seasons.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

This is a gentle reminder to please keep to the topic, which is the episode. If you feel there is a subject that warrants a new thread, feel free to start one!

Topic created.  Thank you for your patience, Wendy.

• Love 1
On ‎31‎.‎10‎.‎2018 at 1:52 AM, shapeshifter said:

But they also kept dwelling on the 1-in-3-rookies-don't-make-it axiom, and we saw the young black male rookie flinching at gun fire and (I think?) his hand shaking when he pulled out his gun. He seems destined to be a red shirt—which I think racially would be terrible optics—but I live near Chicago, so I'm probably overdoing the doom—maybe he'll just get a Plan B. Or maybe something will happen with Nolan's gf so she'll be the 1 in 3.

I don't like West. He puts his partner in danger, gets a slap on the wrist and then he is cocky about it. That's a kind of character who I'm usually rooting for getting taught a proper lesson when their cockiness comes back to bite them big time.

So, I wouldn't mind if he were the one who washed out but considering that it's a TV show, I'm not sure if he's the too obvious choice.

I'm so glad that Chen finally stood up to her TO! He's almost verbally abusive to her/displays bullying behavior (and I'm sure a lawyer would have something to say about him denying her a bathroom break since it's less than healthy holding it in, plus hydrating is important and women tend to have smaller bladders than men) and then he runs personal errands during his work hours and almost threatens her not to say anything. Talk about an abuse of power! And I don't care if it's realistic or not. If I want reality, I watch the news. I watch TV (among other things) so that these kind of guys get what they deserve since they rarely get it in the real world.

• Love 4
On 10/31/2018 at 1:52 AM, shapeshifter said:

But they also kept dwelling on the 1-in-3-rookies-don't-make-it axiom, and we saw the young black male rookie flinching at gun fire and (I think?) his hand shaking when he pulled out his gun. He seems destined to be a red shirt—which I think racially would be terrible optics—but I live near Chicago, so I'm probably overdoing the doom—maybe he'll just get a Plan B. Or maybe something will happen with Nolan's gf so she'll be the 1 in 3.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:43 PM, Clanstarling said:

As for the 1 out of 3 rookies fail. Just because you have a group of 3, it doesn't mean that one of you will wash out. That's not how statistics work. There might be another group where all three wash out.

An early Scrubs episode (1.4 - My Old Lady) dealt w/ this brilliantly. J.D. says that interns are told that one out of three patients who come into the hospital die. 

Spoiler

All three of the main interns - J.D., Elliot, and Turk - have their patients die.

My feeling is that, barring an unresolved cliffhanger, all three of our boots will pass probation.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

My feeling is that, barring an unresolved cliffhanger, all three of our boots will pass probation.

I can't figure out where they're going with Mr. Cowardly Custard.  They can't have him fail (because SJW), so what?  Is he suddenly going to become Larry Lionheart?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I can't figure out where they're going with Mr. Cowardly Custard.  They can't have him fail (because SJW), so what?  Is he suddenly going to become Larry Lionheart?

I see his plot options as:

1. Suddenly (or gradually) becomes Larry Lionheart
  2. Fails Boot 101
  3. Finds his true-calling Plan B
  4. Heroically killed

Because I'm old, #4 (POC as a Red Shirt) seems the most obvious, but the other outcomes still seem equally plausible within The Rookie world. They've spent quite a few lines discussing Plan Bs (especially this episode), so if we're placing bets right now, I'll take Door #3.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
On 10/31/2018 at 1:20 AM, voiceover said:

It was enough to get the shock of Tim's wife-as-ex-cop.  I continue to enjoy Nolan & Talia*, because the actors have a nice easy chem.  I just hope that if the series goes...there, they wait as long as M*A*S*H did with Hawkeye & Margaret.  Though I'd rather see Nolan and the Chief together, if it comes to Unlikelies

The fact she was an ex-cop had me shaking my head--didn't see that one coming.  

Nolan and Captain/Chief makes sense to me.  You could still have the interplay of a rookie's relationship but navigating with the Captain/Chief--could be good writing material.   And I think there'd be a better dynamic and  dialogue concerning his doubts/fears of being a cop with her rather than with his 20-something girlfriend.   Guess no one wants to see mature relationships--just doesn't sell!

1 minute ago, cathmed said:

Nolan and Captain/Chief makes sense to me.  You could still have the interplay of a rookie's relationship but navigating with the Captain/Chief--could be good writing material.   And I think there'd be a better dynamic and  dialogue concerning his doubts/fears of being a cop with her rather than with his 20-something girlfriend.   Guess no one wants to see mature relationships--just doesn't sell!

It is not the age difference so much as that Nolan's  job is saved from the Sergeant's quick hook by his lover boss.

19 minutes ago, cathmed said:

I wouldn't like to see it because it then becomes an entirely inappropriate relationship - regardless of the age. I would love to see a mature relationship - but not between a superior officer and her subordinate.

• Love 6

Three episodes in and the show still doesn't engage me. I can't put a finger on it except that none of the characters really grab me and there isn't a good cohesiveness or chemistry.  Good luck for a second season, I guess, but I think I'll just wait to see what Fillion does next.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:10 PM, break21 said:

I watched it again, it's an odd show.  It moves but I just don't feel anything for any of the characters.  They wrote Nolan too close to Castle.  They would have been better getting him slowly involved with an older woman instead of jumping into a relationship ( although, maybe they have an end-game).  It just seems off.  I honestly can't remember any of the character's names beside Nolan.  And if the cop with the druggie wife calls his partner "Boot" one more time, I will throw something at the screen.

Stop reading my mind!