Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/29/2018

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Our vocabulary lesson for today.  Ms McCain made a very common error when introducing the "Bohemian Rhapsody" segment, but in her business it shouldn't happen.  BIOPIC.

She said BY-op-ik.  It's a biographical movie: BIO - PIC (picture).    Ohhhhh...those dreaded blue cards.  

That's not the first time she's pronounced it like that.  I recall her doing the same thing earlier this year.  I'm surprised no one corrected her on it then.  (Then again, I'm sure it's easier for her friends and family to not correct her on anything.)

• Love 7

I don't think Oprah's southern accent is an affect since she grew up in Mississippi and Tennessee. She learned to speak without an apparent accent when she was an on air journalist. The southern accent is her real way of speaking. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Coffeewinewater said:

As I've already commented MM voice was extra screechy and did my head in. I wanted add Meghan's fun side felt fake as hell to me. Whoopi was on wwhl last night Andy  asked WG about joy and Meghan's dispute earlier in the week.  I just thought maybe MM was trying extra hard to be "fun".

I'm beginning to think that MM is becoming Bipolar (Manic-Depressive).  Her "highs" are very high; her "lows" are very low, and it doesn't take much to toggle between them.  Her "highs" are most definitely at the over-compensating level.

From WebMD:

What Is Bipolar Disorder?

Bipolar disorder is a complex disorder that likely stems from a combination of genetic and non-genetic factors. The mood episodes associated with it involve clinical depression or mania (extreme elation and high energy) with periods of normal mood and energy in between episodes. The severity of mood episodes can range from very mild to extreme, and they can happen gradually or suddenly within a timeframe of days to weeks. When discrete mood episodes happen four or more times per year, the process is called rapid cycling. Rapid cycling should not be confused with very frequent moment-to-moment changes in mood, which can sometimes occur in people with bipolar disorder or other conditions such as borderline personality disorder.

Along with manic or depressive episodes, patients with bipolar disorder may have disturbances in thinking. They may also have distortions of perception and impairment in social functioning.

https://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/bipolar-disorder-manic-depression#1

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I don't think Oprah's southern accent is an affect since she grew up in Mississippi and Tennessee. She learned to speak without an apparent accent when she was an on air journalist. The southern accent is her real way of speaking. 

She seems to use her southern accent when she is trying to relate to the common folk.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Orillia said:

Poor Meghan  ....  she never gets to talk. Wait , she did get to talk and totally bring down the Queen discussion . 

Can someone ask Meghan's statistician...the one who writes most of her blue cards to time each panelist for a week and let us know what percentage of time each one talks?  BE FAIR!

If Whoopi truly is not going to be there on Fridays, the numbers could reflect only Monday thru Thursday.

• Love 6

I just finished watching.  I am VERY disappointed that they didn't get to talk about their movie more!  I read here what Meghan did but I had not realized it took up over half their time until I watched!  I am a Queen fan and I was looking forward to their appearance.  I intend to watch the movie despite the poor reviews.  

• Love 12
7 hours ago, ari333 said:

I  love Oprah, but why did she have a southern accent during that 6 mile voting speech?

Oprah’s Southern used to come out on her show quite often as well.   She seemed to use it more after the world got to know her and she was more comfortable.  It’s nothing new ?

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Wings said:

I just finished watching.  I am VERY disappointed that they didn't get to talk about their movie more!  I read here what Meghan did but I had not realized it took up over half their time until I watched!  I am a Queen fan and I was looking forward to their appearance.  I intend to watch the movie despite the poor reviews.  

Meghan is simply incapable of not making every conversation about her.

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

It sounded very threatening when someone brought up that Meghan's lying plagiarist husband wanted to have dinner with Joy, and Meghan said, "Oh, it WILL happen."

Um, don't go, Joy!

Joy won't go, she will say she has to wash her hair.  :>

• Love 21
52 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

It sounded very threatening when someone brought up that Meghan's lying plagiarist husband wanted to have dinner with Joy, and Meghan said, "Oh, it WILL happen."

Um, don't go, Joy!

I bet her husband is a real treat to have dinner with.  Abby said they have double dated and said her husband voted for Hillary.  Good for him but I bet that made for some interesting dinner conversation.

• Love 8

I would be very cautious about getting anywhere near MM and her husband....mainly cuz i think they would try to get shit on Joy, get her drinking,  and try to get her to say something that they could take out of context, and make her look bad, or they want to write a tell- all book. 

Not trustworthy what-so-ever.   

MM has said stuff on air that the panel has talked about at lunch or back stage. Not cool. No propriety whatever.  Nasty woman.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Exactly! it happens to people from the Caribbean as well. Our accents tend to come out when we are interacting with people from back home. It comes out without you even realizing that you are speaking with a Caribbean twang. I imagine it is the same way for Oprah.

• Love 17
10 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

YASSSS ANA!!!!!

Oprah is NOT just some "east coast elite." Her story is incredible. Meggie already looks extremely bothered today, lmao!

Meghan didn't either know Oprah's story or didn't care. Meg has to realize not all rich celebrities were born rich and privileged like her. 

• Love 17

I kept hoping Joy would say "Meghan, stop screeching!"  Today was worse than usual.  Alternatively they could put an anti-bark collar on her and zap her whenever she screeches or starts overtalking when it is someone else's turn to talk. 

• Love 23
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Meghan is simply incapable of not making every conversation about her.

I think that Meghan is also incapable of realizing that when guests are on the show, the conversation is supposed to be about THEM, and whatever it is they are on the show to publicize - book, TV show, movie, etc.  She seems to want to dominant each conversation and turn it around to her, when these guests are on this show (and every other talk show they can be booked on) to talk about and promote their current project.  Someone should clue her in about this - I mean, it's not like this has been a major reason for talk shows for the last 50 years or so!!!  

• Love 18
46 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I kept hoping Joy would say "Meghan, stop screeching!"  Today was worse than usual.  Alternatively they could put an anti-bark collar on her and zap her whenever she screeches or starts overtalking when it is someone else's turn to talk. 

she sure needs it 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Tosia said:

I would be very cautious about getting anywhere near MM and her husband....mainly cuz i think they would try to get shit on Joy, get her drinking,  and try to get her to say something that they could take out of context, and make her look bad, or they want to write a tell- all book. 

Not trustworthy what-so-ever.   

MM has said stuff on air that the panel has talked about at lunch or back stage. Not cool. No propriety whatever.  Nasty woman.

To the degree they're obsessed with "taking down" Joy Behar, I'm sure McCain and her husband would both come to dinner wearing wires.

• Love 13
7 hours ago, maggiemae said:

MM pretty much ignored Ana today. Good. More Ana, less Meghan.

I'm also thrilled Ana will be on Fridays!

I noticed this but I’m not complaining, and I say that because I’d rather not see Meghan bitching, moaning and whining about Ana not being a conservative, which she’s done on the show before. I don’t think either of them shared any sort of exchange on today’s show. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Jewell2 said:

Oprah’s Southern used to come out on her show quite often as well.   She seemed to use it more after the world got to know her and she was more comfortable.  It’s nothing new ?

Funny, I always thought Oprah (and BFF Gayle) had a kind of "African American/Middle America" female accent.  Their speaking voices are kind of resonant and musical at the same time if that makes sense.

7 hours ago, backformore said:

OK, I just watched this.  Meghan was SO FAR out of line.  this group of actors  were on to talk about their movie.   switching it over to death, cancer, and grief, was not OK.  Death is universal - we all have lost someone to cancer, heart disease, accident, etc.   Meghan's attempt at bonding with the actor over , "Oh my god!  your dad and my dad died of the same thing!"  should have been done backstage, there was no reason for that to be part of the show.   

Note to Megs.  No one tunes in to see you cry every day.  It doesn't make you relatable.  Or sympathetic.  Or even human for that matter.  Stop it.

• Love 12

We just posted a new mod note about John and Cindy McCain, and multiple posts have been off topic. There are also off-topic posts about things not discussed on the show. 

This thread is locked until we can clean it up. Posts have been hidden and warnings will be issued. 

• Love 2

I'd be the last one to defend Meghan McCain but I feel it's only fair to put this tweet here.  Joe Mazzello of Bohemian Rhapsody tweeted before he was on the show that he was going to talk with Meghan about his father.  So apparently, contrary to what some of us thought, Meghan bringing up the subject was a producer-driven thing.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'd be the last one to defend Meghan McCain but I feel it's only fair to put this tweet here.  Joe Mazzello of Bohemian Rhapsody tweeted before he was on the show that he was going to talk with Meghan about his father.  So apparently, contrary to what some of us thought, Meghan bringing up the subject was a producer-driven thing.

Ok I'll accept that if that's the way it came down , I see he tweeted it at 1:30 in the morning. But Ana wasn't on the schedule so could the show have been taped like they do on occassion ?  I just don't see the point in it being producer driven. His fellow actors looked very uncomfortable,   so it's not a way to make sparks.  Come to think it she even looked uncomfortable, she asked can I say we are friends? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

Ok I'll accept that if that's the way it came down , I see he tweeted it at 1:30 in the morning. But Ana wasn't on the schedule so could the show have been taped like they do on occassion ?  I just don't see the point in it being producer driven. His fellow actors looked very uncomfortable,   so it's not a way to make sparks.  Come to think it she even looked uncomfortable, she asked can I say we are friends? 

Ah, I didn't think about it possibly being taped in advance.  You may have a point there.

• Love 2

I don't think it was the producers doing this - except at Meghan's direction - and they did. Big sigh. IMO it was not fair to his co-stars. 

I sincerely think most kids that lose their parents do not think thank God it was not glio. I know - because I lost my parents in 1998 and 2006. Not pleasant.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I don't think it was the producers doing this - except at Meghan's direction - and they did. Big sigh. IMO it was not fair to his co-stars. 

I sincerely think most kids that lose their parents do not think thank God it was not glio. I know - because I lost my parents in 1998 and 2006. Not pleasant.

I was Meghan's age when I lost my dad, but he was a lot younger than her dad when he died.  Also, losing a parent to an illness that takes a toll and is difficult to watch is horrible, but it is something many families go through.  Many parents lose their children to horrible illnesses, which is even worse.  Meghan making this her mantra, saying that grieving is taboo, is strange to me.  I am not sure I get why this is her way of grieving.

It was clear that everyone at the table was not comfortable with that, and it is like she just keeps wanting to open that wound and make everyone else around her suffer right along with her.

• Love 8

I'm pretty certain Friday's show was taped.  I don't believe for one minute that a producer suggested to NutMeg that she discuss Joe's father's diagnosis and passing and turn it into almost an entire segment.  I'm sure she was fully prepared to take yet another opportunity to turn an interview around and make it about her, her grief and her father.  It went on far too long which made it even more uncomfortable for everyone else at the table and the viewers watching from home.  How ABC thinks this is good TV is beyond me.

Edited by Badbea99
  • Love 10
On 11/2/2018 at 8:31 AM, Medicine Crow said:

Did anyone catch who Ana is engaged to???  (I don't think it's the hotel guy.)

When they showed his picture, my 20 hour a day CNN/MSNBC habit finally bore fruit - he's frequent tv contributor Al Cardenas, a GOP spokesman.  Oh, Ana - hope you'll be happy.  Then I googled him and a spouse was listed...

• Love 5