Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06/E07: It's a Big, Family Road Trip!/We Can Stay Here! Forever!

• Start Topic

I don't think they began it for money, but I think they've gotten attached to or used to the money and attention.  Jen wasn't shy about wanting to appear on various TV talk shows and Bill has never turned away from attention either.  Families with dwarfism have become a thing for TLC over the last few years so that tends to dilute the idea that they're doing it for educational purposes.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Mollysmom said:

I really don't think they did the show for the money. There is STILL a HUGE misconception about disabled people and what they can do, can't do, or should/shouldn't do. I've seen it on these message boards - people making assumptions about what they think disabled people should have, do and not have and do. There are so many assumptions made about disabled people, that I have actually thought about pitching an idea for a show - I have Spina Bifida and walk on crutches. There are very few people who walk on crutches so I get stared at like I"m a freak all the time. And people are constantly telling me what I should and shouldn't do or what they think I need help with just based on what I look like. We need shows like this to normalize and teach "normal" people about disabilities. But I guess that if I did have a show about my life with my disability would make me a fame whore. I don't think so, but apparently that's what some people think. 

I have 2 sons with Crohn's and while theirs is an "invisible" illness, it's bothersome to me when people with disabilities are underestimated because I know how hard my sons work not to make excuses because of their illness and to go about life without self-pity.   It's incredibly condescending to assume that people are incapable or have been given a free pass because of a disability.   I think one of the strengths of the little people shows is that they demonstrate so well that little people and averaged sized people are largely going through life with the same purpose of trying to figure things out!  

• Love 10
On 11/2/2018 at 9:37 AM, bichonblitz said:

Two hours of these kids is just too much. They are not that interesting. Neither are the grandparents. Or watching them move in to a house and fret over all the boxes while Bill and his dad sit there and watch the movers. I'm surprised Bill and Jen want to continue with this show. I think it's run it's course. 

This is the one reality show that I can enjoy watching. I truly enjoyed watching Bill and his dad.  I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, gerry said:

When I read posts defending the appalling behaviour and manners of the Klein children, I understand why Americans and their children have such a poor reputation in other countries. 

In the last episode, Bill said the kids were 5 and 7. Do you really think most 5 and 7 year olds have great manners? They don't. I'm a library director, and kids need to be reminded constantly to be quiet, how to behave appropriately, to say please and thank you, etc until they are about 10 -11 years old. Will and Zoey are acting like average 5 and 7 year olds. The only difference is their behavior is on tv for everyone to scrutinize and criticize. People tend to forget that most kids act like this - a lot. It's a process that takes a long time to get manners to stick. 

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Mollysmom said:

People tend to forget that most kids act like this - a lot. It's a process that takes a long time to get manners to stick. 

While I do not disagree your post, especially these days, I think the problem is there is no "process" to speak of in the Klein home.  Like you said manners and how to behave have to be reinforced over and over again until it becomes a habit. Once again I totally agree.

What I see on the show is no teaching, no consequences and worst of all the parents giggling and thinking its cute.  I've heard them say tell so and so thank you and the kids run off and Jen does her giggle.  Bill laughs and joins in when his kid is eating at a home for sale.

Time outs are not done properly, or rarely done at all.    Zoey's behavior towards her grandfather(slamming the door) was accepted, probably for the sake of the show , which to me makes it even worse.  Bad behaved reality stars and children make for better ratings, thats a fact.  Lets face it, the children are the reason the show it still on and I don't think its in their best interest. I just hope they get thru it and go on to live happy lives and that the bulk of the money made is theirs.

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Mollysmom said:

In the last episode, Bill said the kids were 5 and 7. Do you really think most 5 and 7 year olds have great manners? They don't. I'm a library director, and kids need to be reminded constantly to be quiet, how to behave appropriately, to say please and thank you, etc until they are about 10 -11 years old. Will and Zoey are acting like average 5 and 7 year olds. The only difference is their behavior is on tv for everyone to scrutinize and criticize. People tend to forget that most kids act like this - a lot. It's a process that takes a long time to get manners to stick. 

As you said the kids need to be reminded constantly to be quiet, how to behave appropriately, to say please and thank you etc....you did those things yet Jen and Bill nor any other adults do any of those constant reminders to Will or Zoey, they just laugh and look the other way.  This can be done gently on camera so we know they at least try!!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, Mollysmom said:

If they did punish them, or reprimand them though, they would probably be criticized for that also. I don't think they can win either way. If they were behind closed doors, they might be a lot harsher. 

This is the best reason why children should not be subjected to and exploited on television.

• Love 7

You may be a library director Mollysmom, but as a Mother and a Grandmother I would be utterly ashamed if my kids for example......helped themselves to food in a stranger's house, when the occupants were not even there..............constantly demanded and were given things and never said please or thank you.................had table manners of a two year old.................spoke to adults like they were something on the bottom of my shoe..................completely disregarded simple instructions, and I could go on .  And yes, a huge proportion of blame rests with the parents, who haven't a clue about discipline or boundaries, they rarely prompt those children to rectify or modify their bad behaviour and are not bringing them up to show respect for anyone or anything. I'm really shocked that you think children don't learn to say please or thank you until they are 10 or 11 - which pretty much proves my point.

• Love 10