Type keyword(s) to search

Sera Myu: It's a Musical!

Oh my god, the musicals are so wonderfully cheesy. My favourite Moon had to have been Miyuki -- RIP, Miyukimoon. I never got onboard the Anza train like everyone else, but she had some great songs.

I love the new reboot of the musicals, although there is a debate on whether they're considered Myu at all. Personally, for my own organisation I refer to them as the fifth stage. But holy wow, Yamato Yuuga as Tuxedo Kamen seriously charmed me and got me hooked on Takarazuka. Hnnnnnnnng.

Anza's far and away my favorite, but Fumina and Miyuki were both really solid IIRC. I could never get into Marina though. I feel like she played up the cutesy ditzy stuff to excess and then faltered playing the heavier material.

What I like about the first stage is seeing the rapport that grew between the actors over time as they got comfortable with each other, since so many stayed for multiple musicals. Anza and Mochi as Mamoru didn't exactly sizzle, but there was a palapable warmth to their interactions I really liked, for example.

ARGH ANGER I typed out an entire post and then hit BACK and lost it. :( Anyway, tl;dr is I think that each of the Moons have embodied a particular aspect of Usagi that they had strength in. For Anza it was very much the physical comedy and also the heartwrenching angst. For Fumina, it was her strength and courage in tough situations, and also her scenes as NQS were my fave because she was so elegant. Miyuki was my favourite because she was so genki/cheerful, and to me that was the forefront of Usagi's personality. She had layers, yes, but I always associate that with Usagi first. And Marina, while young, did the cutesy stuff well. She had great chemistry with Kenji's Mamochan.

Other favourites for me have to be the NaoYuuka pairing of Haruka and Michiru, and in terms of supporting cast, I love Hikari Ono so much. Damn, the pipes on that woman.

• Love 1
(edited)

I completely agree RE Anza and Fumina. I liked Miyuki as well but it's been awhile since I've seen the Dracul musicals because IIRC the writing didn't grab me.

I was a fan of Mochi's mask, and the second to last guy before the reboot. Hirota Yuuta, I think is his name. Very different performances but I liked both. Mochi was excellent playing up both his role of emotional support to the team, and his kingly qualities. I liked his Evil!ENdy as well. His vocals as a singer never struck me as more than solid, but the acting behind them was always really strong and I appreciated that.

Hirota was a very modern Tux, with his acoustic guitar and long hair, but I dug it

And WORD re Hikari. If they were doing female Tux's back then, she'd have been cast in a second.

Edited by SilverShadow

Oh god, Shirota was just so PRETTY. And Kaze no Shijin kfhalksdfhaklsdf.

Everyone is gushing over Yamato Yuuga (Tani) as Tux, and rightly so because she's gorgeous and talented, but Hikari was the original crossdressing hottie.

• Love 1
(edited)

I had very mixed feelings about Demand as a character generally, but Hikari's "Innocent Demand" was nifty. And Hikari was just as great in female roles. Loof Merrow was so cool.

Edited by SilverShadow

The new musical has been subtitled by MissDream and it's absolutely fantastic. Somehow everyone got even better at singing, and the new Mercury is great. Black Lady's voice was a bit of a let down, but Pluto's got some serious pipes. The Black Moon Clan are also very well done-Demand may give Ono Hikari's portrayal a run for her money.

I like that some of the songs from LR are reprised like Sanjou! Tuxedo Kamen and 5 Ladies of the White Moon. And the encore included We Are the Pretty Guardian as well--so they're making them into 'theme' songs much like La Soldier.