Type keyword(s) to search

Crystal: Pretty Sailor Reboot

It's somewhat fitting that my first post ever on Previously.TV will be about Sailor Moon, the first show which introduced me to anime.  I always have had a wild, irrational  passion for everything Sailor Moon, and the new Crystal anime is no exception.  I have been hoping for this reboot to happen for more than 10 years, I've been on the edge of my seat since they announced it about two years ago, and I can NOT wait for July 5th!

• Love 4
(edited)

A new trailer for Sailor Moon Crystal has been released!

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/06/05-1/video-sailor-moon-crystal-anime-trailer

The visual style definitely IS closer to the manga, though I'd say this is more of a teaser than a trailer.  Not sure it was Keiko Han voicing Luna again, but the voice did sound familiar.

So excited..!

Update:

This link has more information

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-06-05/sailor-moon-crystal-1st-promo-video-streamed-update/.75249

Seems it is a new voice actress for Luna after all, though I still think she sounds like the original.

Edited by Nightbaron
  • Love 2
(edited)

The trailer makes me need to ask - were the legs/ankles/feet as strange-looking in the manga?  They looked very odd here.  Maybe after seeing an actual episode I can make more sense of them, but for the moment, they look strange.  Nowhere near as straight and elegant as in the original anime...

I'm curious to see what Beryl looks like and if they can make her more epic than she was in the original series.  I never watched the whole show through, but I remember only her final Big Flower In Space fight with Serena was memorable, and even that was very very short.  Will we get to see her do anything on that scale in the first few episodes, ya think?

Edited by DisneyBoy

It's almost here! Surprised to see so little chatter on here with all the SM stuff going on these days.

I can't wait to see the first eps. I know it won't be like my first original series, but man, it's good to have it come back.

I hope no one is worried about spoilers for Sailor Moon because I was thinking we should leave all the threads unspoilered.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think maybe spoiler tags for Crystal since it's still a new adaptation and may do things differently. And there may be new people coming to the original anime as well with the new release.

Maybe create threads for those who want to remain unspoiled? And perhaps a policy of spoiler tags for other adaptions in the threads catering to a different version. I.e. if you're talking about how in the manga version of the Dark Kingdom arc Usagi

gutted Brainwashed!Mamoru with a sword a la Buffy.

in the anime thread, that should be tagged. YMMV.

But back to topic: New Pictures.

Tagging, just to be safe, but:

Is it just me or does the expressions look 1000X better than in the trailer? I think they added reflections and other things to the eyes to convey more emotion, maybe. Still cautiously optimistic, but said caution-level has dropped somewhat.

There's also a video with the opening theme and a few minutes of animation. Not sure if it's okay to post.

ETA the video's all over the internet. Here's Kotaku's link.

Edited by SilverShadow
  • Love 2

This is an ongoing live thread for Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal and contains spoilers. Spoiler tags are not necessary after an episode has streamed, but only if you have an actual spoiler for future episodes. Please use discretion when discussing other adaptations.

If you would like a spoiler-free Crystal topic to speculate or wait until the series is completely finished, please feel free to create the topic or PM/ping me to help.

Thank you!

(edited)

Lifelong Sailor Moon fan here!  Just saw the first episode of the new series.  Loved it! 

Loved how they making the characters look closer to how they look in the manga. 

The choral music during the transformation scene is gorgeous.

The little teaser at the end with Ami was great!

Edited by Athena
Removed spoiler tags

I also really enjoyed episode 1!  At first, I thought it was almost a complete copy of the original anime's first episode, but with much higher quality animation.  Then I went back to my copy of the manga (A Mixx translated version from the 90s) and saw that it almost exactly replicates Act I of the manga, complete with Mamoru's first appearance in a tuxedo (which I did a double-take on - hopefully this means it won't be such a cognitive gap for Usagi in the new anime to figure out who Tuxedo Mask is).  It seems like the only minor plot detail that was adapted from the original anime instead of the manga was Usagi's red hair fasteners alerting her to Naru being in danger, rather than her Sailor Moon eye mask in the manga (although I'm kind of bummed the eye mask was left out). 

I'm curious to see whether the rest of the series remains set in the early 1990s, or whether they will take this opportunity to modernize the series (mostly the technology aspect).  For instance, Act 2 of the manga introduces Ami and uses the brainwashing floppy disk as a plot point.  I wonder if Act 2 of this new anime will still use a floppy disk, or whether they'll modernize it to a USB drive.  Similarly, I wonder if the Sailor communicators and Ami's Sailor Mercury computer will be upgraded to smart phone-like devices.

• Love 1
(edited)

Also watched the first episode (twice!) and also loved it. Loved how it mirrored the manga, and the extra little touch of Usagi having Princess dreams. Enjoyed the new looks of the secondary characters. Agreed that the music was wonderful. Loved the intro!

Now I have to wait two weeks?! Sigh...

Edited by Nightbaron
  • Love 1

I liked it too. I was wondering why Mamoru needs to be wearing his tuxedo in the daytime. He does look more dashing. Another thing is Usagi's complete ignorance about Sailor V. I found that farfetched since Sailor V is famous enough to have games. Even Usagi's mom knew who she was. Bad exposition fairy.

I adored the transformation sequence. Up until that point, I liked the animation, but the Make-Up scene made me nostalgic and excited at the same time. It's Sailor Moon!

(edited)

So...

I enjoyed it. But while most of the artwork (particularly the backgrounds, and indeed, some of the character designs) is lovely, the animation itself seemed quite poor to me. I don't know what frame rate they were using here, but a lot of the animation felt quite jittery, and there were points where they only bothered to animate certain features on the characters faces (mouths, for instance, but not eyes or eyebrows), emphasizing the new designs' already somewhat vacant expressions.

And WHAT is up with Usagi's hair? I thought my main gripe with the new design would be her huge skull, but her pigtails move very strangely here. They're always floating and animating independently. I know people like how "flowy" her hair is, which works great in still art and maybe certain action sequences, but, for the most part, the old series adhered to the laws of physics here.

Kotono also sounded a little off to me. Her henshin and intro speech sounded fine, but she seemed to be warbling/adding a trill to lot of her dialogue, which came off as overly shrill (even for Usagi).

I'd like to say the background music was rather... generic and unimpressive to me, but the sound mixing here made it impossible NOT to notice the music, which was set far too loudly over the dialogue. In terms of the score itself, obviously Takanori Arisawa set an impossibly high standard on the original series and no one will come close to matching it, so I'm willing to give this series some time to find its own footing with the music, but so far I'm unimpressed. Was there any leitmotif AT ALL? I actually missed Tuxedo Mask's maracas.

I don't have particularly strong opinions on the transformation sequence... the CG isn't great, but I like the throwback to the original anime's version, and the opening and ending credits were enjoyable enough, if somewhat generic.

My biggest concern, I predict, will be tone. I'm excited to see some of the manga plot points that the original anime left out/changed finally animated, but the original anime really had a perfect combination of voice talent, animation style, music, and writing (say what you will about the filler episodes, but those "slice of life" stories at least gave the viewer an opportunity to revisit and become familiar with the characters week after week) to get the audience emotionally invested with the characters. Takeuchi's heavy involvement makes me worry that the series will follow a very somber tone, heavy on the romance and drama rather than the humor. The scene where Usagi performs the "Sailor V Kick" and slams her knee into the door, for instance, is a good example—whereas in the original anime, it's quite funny, it fell rather flat for me here. (Although apparently it also occurs in the manga, and the panel there is quite cute, so maybe I'm just having trouble connecting with the new character design: http://sailormoon.wikia.com/wiki/File:Usagi_Sailor_V_kick.jpg )

Edited by Shadow

I go back and forth on the character designs but overall I'm definitely willing to overlook some of the animation quality if the story and the acting are good. I really liked the increased foreshadowing. Mamoru's new voice sounded fine though he was such a close match for the original I'm surprised they didn't just have him come back, but perhaps it was cost-prohibitive. This is an online-only series, so I doubt they're working with a top-tier budget. But honestly I'm still relieved they didn't go the DBZ Kai route and try and re-purpose the old animation. I'm happy to watch and see what happens. For now I'm not 100% satisfied just yet but it's early days.

Saw it and enjoyed, will likely re-watch as may have missed a few things. I noticed the jittery movements as well but it didn't detract from seeing the manga artwork animated which  is nothing short of awesome. I loved Usagi's flowy hair and enjoy the fact everyone looks more grown up. Mamoru is gorgeous in his tuxedo. I happened to like the new transformation sequence the CGI didn't bug me at all. My only issue is I'm not sold on the music just yet. I loved the original music and Moonlight Denetsu was brilliant and I'm wondering why they didn't just use that one instead only updated? I'm sure it will grow on me. Everything is still new and there is so much to enjoy. Final thought Ami! It was wonderful seeing her right at the end and it will be great to see how closely this does follow the manga. Though I must confess I'm only on book 4 at the moment.

• Love 1

I personally WANT this anime to have the more somber tone of the manga, with more focus on the romance and drama. While I loved the original anime, we already have one of those, so I'm happy to see the manga tone this time around.

• Love 4
(edited)

Having rewatched, I really like the tone for Usagi/Mamoru's stuff so far. The 90's anime tended to have a bit too much pigtail pulling and not enough establishing why the heck these two actually like each other. Here we have an attraction from the start, along with the irritation.

Edited by SilverShadow
  • Love 2

OMG Episode 2. It expanded on everything I loved about the first episode and corrected a lot of what I didn't. Usagi seemed a lot more expressive this time, which was a big downside of the first episode. And my sweet precious baby Ami. She was so closed off and alone at the beginning and by the end was teasing Usagi like it was nothing at all. Tux was fine in his brief appearances but hoping for a bit more from him in future episodes. And I really like how they're playing Luna. She's not nearly as pushy and mean as the original anime sometimes had her.

• Love 2

I loved episode 2 as well.  It's a very faithful adaptation of manga act 2 (see http://www.mangareader.net/1193-41820-1/bishoujo-senshi-sailor-moon/chapter-2.html ).

There were a few touches in this episode that weren't based off of the manga, like when Ami has a flashback to the Silver Millennium as she hands Luna back to Usagi. 

The only laugh-out-loud moment for me in this episode was when Usagi threw the Crystal Seminar flyer backwards, and it landed in a tuxedo-clad Mamoru's face.  So this series loses a lot of the humor in the original anime, but I think it's a good tradeoff, since the animation is so much prettier.

As a Sailor Venus fan, I'm bummed that it's going to be months before her reveal (not until Act 8 of the manga, which at this rate will be 12 weeks from now!), but I appreciate the Sailor V cameos in each episode.

• Love 1

I hear ya on Sailor Venus, Fabricationary.  She and Jupiter are my faves.

A thing that's surprised me about this new series is how fast the attacks are.  They're not drawn out like the original.

Really loved this episode and all the little touches it put in. Mercury is like one of my least fav but I adored seeing her and loved her overall character less rigid than the anime and she had personality. Perhaps I'll become a Merc fan after all! And yeah I hear you guys on how long we'll have to wait to see Venus (her, moon and Jupes are my top 3) Really loving how this series is shaping up. 

And liked the music! Think that its growing on me now.

Well, I felt the Mars episode was OK.  The one thing that really bugged me was Rei's face.  It just didn't look right.  Her Sailor Mars transformation was pretty good though.

BTW, how have the ratings for this show been?

Edited by bmoore4026

I just watched episode 3 (thanks to a 3-episode streak of being woken up insanely early on Saturday mornings).  It was again a very close adaption of the manga act 3.  The major difference I noticed was that, in the manga's bus scene, Usagi suspects that Mamoru is Tuxedo Mask, and Mamoru suspects that Usagi is Sailor Moon.  Mamoru actually calls her out on it on the bus (which she laughs off).  Later in the same manga act, Tuxedo Mask overhears Luna telling an untransformed Usagi to never let the enemy obtain the silver crystal (Luna's such a blabbermouth!).    In this episode of Crystal, Tuxedo Mask witnesses Usagi transforming into a flight attendant using her disguise pen, but it doesn't seem like he's fully connected the dots about Usagi being Sailor Moon (though he  most likely suspects it at this point).

A few other minor changes - Miss Haruna is written out of this Crystal episode, while Umino makes a cameo.  Luna appears in the disappeared bus scene to give Rei her the Mars henshin, while in the manga, Luna is monitoring the battle from the bus stop and gives Sailor Mercury the Mars henshin before she teleports to the location of the disappeared bus.  (In the original anime adaption, if I recall correctly, neither Ami or Luna helps out in the final battle, but Tuxedo Mask makes an appearance.)

Maybe someone who's more familiar with Japanese culture can correct or add to this, but the scenes in this Crystal episode (as well as the original manga act) where Usagi (and to a lesser extent, Ami) seemed enchanted with Rei's beauty came off a bit homoerotic.  I've heard that in Japan, while homosexuality in adults isn't terribly socially acceptable, these same-sex crushes/fascinations in school-aged kids and teens is fairly socially accepted.

Up next in two weeks - the Princess D story arc (which was loosely adapted in the anime as episode 22 - http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=Romance_Under_the_Moon!_Usagi%27s_First_Kiss )

In general, in Japan, there's a certain idea that girls can have "romantic friendships" but it's somewhat complicated to judge in Sailor Moon because it does have two actual lesbians later on, and well, everybody kind of crushes on everybody and there's subtext, and sometimes actual text all over the place.

Edited by SilverShadow
  • Love 1

Solid episode. Rei was beautiful and her transformation was easily the best of the 3 so far. Usagi is beyond adorable and I love the fact she isn't as much of a crybaby in this version. Ami is written well too.

This series is really good in my opinion, the music is awesome and I loved seeing Beryl and her minions.

Only downfall is the 2 week wait between episodes. I wonder how the ratings are doing? I want them to get another season after this!

I loved the 3rd episode, and in the biggest departure from the manga yet, Jadeite lives!  He is killed by Mars in this chapter of the manga, but this time it appears pretty clear that he escapes.  I guess we'll see more of Jadeite and the Shitennou back story.

I've really liked the last two episodes. When I rewatched some of the series a couple years ago and read the Shadowjack's recaps, it made realize think how special the series was to me. The new one continues to be as well. This franchise is one of the best about friendships especially among girls. All the inner senshi except Usagi are loners before they meet her and join the team. Usagi has her faults, but her huge strength is her heart and love for people. Both Ami's and Rei's episodes demonstrated this. Both of them were clearly alienated because of their abilities and both appreciated Usagi a lot. It all makes me a bit verklempt.

Luna is really indiscreet in this series. 

Something that I am loving about this anime series even more than the original (GASP) is Mamoru and the handling of the romantic pairing. More in line with the manga that way. They are clearly both attracted to each other. Mamoru also has a better wardrobe. He looked very good in his uniform on the bus and with those glasses! As Tuxedo Kamen, he's much more involved with figuring things out, but this can only last so long before the reveal. 

Maybe someone who's more familiar with Japanese culture can correct or add to this, but the scenes in this Crystal episode (as well as the original manga act) where Usagi (and to a lesser extent, Ami) seemed enchanted with Rei's beauty came off a bit homoerotic.  I've heard that in Japan, while homosexuality in adults isn't terribly socially acceptable, these same-sex crushes/fascinations in school-aged kids and teens is fairly socially accepted.

In general, in Japan, there's a certain idea that girls can have "romantic friendships" but it's somewhat complicated to judge in Sailor Moon because it does have two actual lesbians later on, and well, everybody kind of crushes on everybody and there's subtext, and sometimes actual text all over the place.

I also find Asian culture is much more declarative about who they consider to be beautiful objectively. There is more of a archetype. Rei fits this by being conventionally attractive (long haired, slim, probably a bit taller) and having a more mature attitude. She must be facially striking if she were a person, and Jadeite even noted how beautiful she was too. This is canon that she's probably the most conventionally attractive of the inner senshi. She's one of the few who gets pumps when she transfers. 

Crushes among girls are common. I find schoolmates in Asian culture are far more likely to bond. In Japan, China, and S. Korea, many people are still very close to their school friends even as adults. I would say that this is relatively more than in the West. There's a big emphasis on the bonds you create from school and school age. 

Usagi basically like everyone and even though she whines, she's the first person to admire another girl. 

• Love 2

Another good episode. I really enjoy the slow characterizations. I love the moment of Ami and Rei just hanging out. Rei seemed so embarrassed; another indication that she rarely lets herself go. I like that so far Rei and Usagi do not even have a joking antagonistic relationship. 

It is really silly that they have team meetings in a public arcade. Luna is the least discreet cat mentor ever. She even calls out "Get away from Usagi-chan" to Tuxedo Kamen. 

Makoto! 

Athena, don't forget Ami calling out "Usagi-chan!" in front of the enemy. Guess that whole secret identity thing went out the window this episode. Heh. I going to be upset if Mamoru is wondering who Sailor Moon is next episode.

I laughed when it turned out Nephrite posed as the woman with Princess D. I knew it was him! I liked D with her glasses on, she was adorable. *wears thick nerd glasses herself* Can't wait for the next episode.

• Love 1

This episode was easily my fav of the 4. So many wonderful moments! I love the fact they are building these characters, giving them dimensions. I'm not sure what I loved more the fact Luna called out Mamoru on kissing a sleeping Sailor Moon or seeing all four Jadeite,Nephrite,Zoicite and Kunzite all together on the roof . Oh and Jupes too, shes my second fav next to Moon so I'm thrilled to see her! I trust where Crystal is going and I love the fact they are clearly switching it up from just being a Manga adaption.

• Love 2

Episode 5: So they are now transforming in front of the enemy? 

I love Usagi making friends with Mako-chan. Usagi's best super power is her ability to love everyone and see the best in them. It's a bit corny, but I find this one of the best aspects of the show. There is no malice with how the inner senshi treat each other as friends. 

I continue to like the mystery of Tuxedo Kamen. Nerd!Mamoru is cute too. 

• Love 3

I guess it was worth the wait. I can't believe we have to wait two weeks. Its seems like the show is hitting it's stride. :)

I think the Jadite, Nephrite(sp?) et al are going to defect. They both looked into the eyes of the senshi and felt something. If what I read is true, they used to serve under Endymion(sp?) and conceptually were involved with the 4 inner scouts... I think they'll make it out of this alive.

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 3

Usagi's super power is definitely her friend making skills. We've seen all of the girls be isolated for various reasons, Ami feeling that the only thing she knows how to do is study and her focus on grades to be a doctor, Rei's visions, Makoto and the rumors that surrounded her when she arrived at school... Usagi just found each one of them worth pursuing as friends and it's definitely the strength of her characters.

I liked how they gave Jupiter the 'Flower Hurricane' attack. I recall that the manga did give her powers that were aligned with wood/flowers as well as lightning -- her earrings were always a nod to that from the start but I don't recall the original anime giving those powers to her.

• Love 4

I liked how they gave Jupiter the 'Flower Hurricane' attack. I recall that the manga did give her powers that were aligned with wood/flowers as well as lightning -- her earrings were always a nod to that from the start but I don't recall the original anime giving those powers to her.

Well, she did get Jupiter Oak Evolution in SuperS, but other than, you are right, the original anime never included Flower Hurricane or her affinity with vegetation.

The new episode is up, in case anyone's forgotten. Before I say anything about the current episode, let me first say the next episode looks a little bit off model.

This episode was a little strange. Usagi (I keep calling her Serena in my head!) all but tells Tuxedo Mask that she's Sailor Moon and then says she can't transform in front of him revealing her identity. What? At least now she knows. And Mamoru is a little creepy, no?

Also, we get a three second appearance of Venus! And it seems the abilities of the scouts are a lot more flexible this time. Look at Mercury go. XD

Usagi of the manga is much better than her original anime incarnation, as is Rei. The difference is near night and day. I glad that this blow up is the worst it has gotten and it was more of a dramatic storming away.

• Love 2

This episode was a little strange. Usagi (I keep calling her Serena in my head!) all but tells Tuxedo Mask that she's Sailor Moon and then says she can't transform in front of him revealing her identity. What? At least now she knows. And Mamoru is a little creepy, no?

The whole identities thing is inconsistent and makes no sense. Tuxedo Mask has known about her for ages now. She knows he knows from that time he woke her up at her house and led her to battle. Also all the times Luna says Usagi-chan during battles. Ha!

Mamoru is a bit creepy, but it's funny. I found it hilarious they are stylizing this dreamboat HIGH SCHOOL student. 

• Love 2

Watching the latest episode, I kept thinking Usagi was the most oblivious person ever.  I mean, didn't she already guess Tuxedo Kamen's identity like 3 episodes ago, and now she's coming to that realization again, only after she wakes up in his bed (after already babbling about being the leader and transforming in front of him the night before)?

Also, since Tuxedo Kamen knows Usagi is Sailor Moon, and already knows where she lives (since he has already snuck into her bedroom at night before to take her to a battle), why couldn't he just drop her back off at her own house, instead of taking her to his place like a creeper?  (I know this plot point is copied directly from the manga chapter this episode is based on...but really?  They couldn't edit it to make it less creepy to post-Twilight audiences?)

And what's with the total irreverence for secret identities?  Rei, Ami, and Makoto all confronted Zoicite (who still cross-dresses in this incarnation too) as their civilian selves, and then proceeded to transform in front of him - really?  I guess this incarnation won't be featuring plotlines like "let's hold a princess training seminar/ski competition/ice skating competition to try to find out who the Moon Princess is!"

I was excited by Sailor V's cameo in this episode.  I also liked her voice actress - she reminds me of Venus' original anime voice actress.  (Speaking of voice actors - I kind of wish they had recast the role of Usagi.  It's understandable why they brought back Usagi's original voice actress from 20 years ago, but she doesn't sound anything like a teenage girl anymore, and (to my untrained ears) her speech seems slurred at times.)

Edited by Fabricationary
  • Love 2

Intriguing that Zoicite got hit with the Moon Healing attack.  I wonder if this means he'll become a good guy now?

If we're going by manga plotlines,

he's still working for Beryl in the next act, but at the end Sailor V kills him by throwing a moon boomerang at him while he's grabbing Sailor Moon.  See http://www.mangareader.net/1193-41825-44/bishoujo-senshi-sailor-moon/chapter-7.html

.  And then later

the generals' corpses are turned into pocket-sized hunks of their namesake minerals once the silver crystal is formed from Usagi's tears

• Love 1

I've seen a lot of people annoyed by the Inners not having a lot of characterization so far, but I think a lot of it is just that by this point in the story we're used to having thirty or so episodes that have explored the characters, but in terms of episodes at this point in the original anime Ami hadn't even shown up yet. I feel like episode 6 made some changes that I wasn't necessarily thrilled about, but overall I'm enjoying Crystal and riding the plot freight train and I think we will be exploring the other girls, just not yet.

think we will be exploring the other girls, just not yet.

I think so too, there is still plenty of story here. We are only on the sixth episode!. Overall I do enjoy Crystal being a different animal then the original anime. And Jupiter's intro episode was really was perfection imo.

I guess this incarnation won't be featuring plotlines like "let's hold a princess training seminar/ski competition/ice skating competition to try to find out who the Moon Princess is!"

I agree, and I'm half delighted and half really disappointed by that. Those episodes were such fantastic cheese.