Type keyword(s) to search

The Viz Remaster And New Dub: They're Not Cousins

I've watched the first batch of subbed episodes on Hulu and all I have to say is: Everything is so freaking pretty. The video, the audio-I'm in heaven. I had the misfortune of getting the ADV boxset of season 1 when it came out, and the difference is night and day.

• Love 2

That's good to hear, I also got the (pretty crappy) ADV Season 1 and 2 DVD sets, and am looking forward to getting them all back in Blu-Ray format.  While I usually avoid dubs like the plague, I am somewhat curious about the new dub; considering my first exposure to the series was through the DiC dub.  I don't have access to Hulu, so I'll wait until I get the BD to find out...

My sisters and I watched this back in the 90s. I, personally, have a long love affair with anime growing up with G-Force and Starblazers and now I've got my niece watching Sailor Moon with me. The dub should actually help her hone her reading skills but, so far, she likes it a lot.

As for me, I love seeing the original opening and endings and the actual storylines. I had forgotten how long it took for them to introduce Mercury and then Mars. Nice build up!

corrine and Dandesun, I think you might be referring to the original Japanese version of the series, and not the 'dub'.  The dub in this case would be the English-language version of the series, or whatever language a series has been re-recorded in.

I too remember the ADV boxsets, and this remastered quality is much much better.  I don't like some of the subbing choices though, and I prefer 'soldier' over 'guardian', but overall it's not too bad.

I still remember the "Total Eclipse" from ten years back, so it's pretty crazy to see Sailor Moon returning to the American market.  I knew it was only a matter of time, since it is one of the greatest series of all time.  It's just too bad it won't have the same impact as it would have in the past, since television and media have moved on so much over the years.

You're right, I totally switched the terms. The subtitles should definitely help my niece sharpen her reading skills. Dur. My bad.

And the "new" episodes released yesterday... we did get Ami!

There was a recent interview with two of the voice actors, and they mention Viz Media will re-release all the series later this year in NA and the final fifth season. Viz Media will also eventually dub the new reboot, but probably not for awhile.

The interview was nice just to hear about the actors gushing about the fans.

• Love 2

Another clip. This time with Usagi and Luna. Still loving Stephanie Sheh but something is bothering me about Luna's performance. Somehow the words don't seem to be matching the mouth movements, and I'm just very concious it's someone doing a voice and not "the character" speaking. It's hella weird.

I rather a voice that sounds natural than a VA who sounds lip locked (see Dissidia: Final Fantasy). I seriously need to find some money soon!

Oh yeah. I wouldn't want someone completely stiff either. But something about the combination of voice and animation together just takes me right out of the show. It's not nostalgia-goggles either, because none of the other new voices give me that reaction. And it's not a knock on the actress, I thought she was great in Bleach.

Bumping because I forgot to link to this scene of Dub!Beryl and Jadeite, AND there's a new preview clip on Hulu, and it's a doozy. We have voices for Mars and Mercury, and some more Jadeite, this time in full sexist asshole mode. I really like Beryl, she reminds me of the original dub VA. And Jadeite's voice is well-suited too.

• Love 2
(edited)

Nice! Think Mercury and Mars are really good. Warming up a bit to Moon but perhaps I'm harder on her because she's my favorite character and I was a big fan of TH's version.

Jadeite's voice also is a good casting choice.

Edited by Aprilshowers

The dub of the first four episodes is live on Hulu with more to come! Watched the first two episodes so far and overall I'm impressed. The scripts are fairly close, with a few small changes here and there. I like most of the cast, with the exception of Shingo who sounds older than Usagi, which is weird. The only issue is for some of the scenes with very high emotions and exaggerated animation the voices don't quite seem to match the intensity but I'm hoping that will be fixed down the line.

• Love 1

So Sailor Moon S has started on Hulu and I am beyond thrilled. Back in the day, I had copies of these either through fansubs or just the show with a printed out script in hand to follow the action.

Now I can watch Haruka and Michiru as well as the whole Holy Grail/Messiah story without Viz fucking with it!

• Love 2

Got the second half of S and daaaamn the dub is so good. I love Hotaru's performance and Mimette's VA is especially great as well. Her delivery completely cracked me up a few times. I've been sick today so binging and almost to the end.