Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Take It Outside! Carryover Conversations

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Okay, I’ll play. 

From the Royal Weddings and Scandals thread:

On 10/17/2018 at 3:22 PM, DearEvette said:

Totally off topic but... funnily enough, that Sarah Mayberry book is really good.  I've read it.  No lie.  Also, in a nice bit of synergy, the heroine is 38 years old who is trying to get pregnant for the first time.  Also, the author is Australian.

Thanks for the recommendation — I have a slow bus commute, so I’m always looking for good books to read. I downloaded it from the library here, and finished it a few days ago, and yep — really good.  Kind of emotional to read, given my personal situation, but good.  For such an, uh, unusual setup, it seemed very realistic, if that makes any sense?  And I loved Ethan’s relationship with his brother. And I also appreciated that

Spoiler

at the end, Alex is only pregnant (and that after having a miscarriage) — it keeps it from becoming a love story between a woman and her children, which can sometimes happen when the epilogue is more about babies ever after and less about happily ever after. (Again, personal problems here.  Other people may not care.)

I’ve downloaded another book by the same author, and I’m looking forward to reading it. 

The book in question, for anyone who’s still reading here, is The Best Laid Plans, by Sarah Mayberry. It’s a Harlequin romance, but don’t let that stop you. 

Thanks for creating this thread, @Drogo!  

Edited by jennblevins
Spelling.
  • Love 1

Great idea for a thread. I like to small talk but I can't keep up with all the many threads everywhere and I just don't feel like I can post if I haven't read everything in the thread. I'll be able to keep up with just one though.

• Love 1

I always end up off-topic, if I'm not careful, so I prefer general chat threads. I've been a part of four large communities (aside from this one), and loved things like a photography thread, what's for dinner? and so on. I keep forgetting about the "everything else" forum here. I made a lot of friends over the years, once I got over my shyness enough to interact. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 3
On 2018-10-26 at 9:57 PM, Anela said:

I always end up off-topic, if I'm not careful, so I prefer general chat threads. I've been a part of four large communities (aside from this one), and loved things like a photography thread, what's for dinner? and so on. I keep forgetting about the "everything else" forum here. I made a lot of friends over the years, once I got over my shyness enough to interact. 

A lot of these sub-sections are hard to find.  Keep forgetting which ones have “Everything Else”.

• Love 2
On 10/28/2018 at 4:29 PM, Tanichka said:

A lot of these sub-sections are hard to find.  Keep forgetting which ones have “Everything Else”.

The one and only thing I liked better about TWOP was most shows would not rate their own sub forum and they'd get archived after being off air for a while.

I found that there was much more to discuss when there was, as an example, a forum for all sci fi shows and one topic per any show that didn't have its own forum.  Whatever raised to the top of a page would create discussion. 

As an example, I've been watching Pushing Daisies for the first time but no one ever goes over there so not much point in posting about it.

• Love 6
On 31/10/2018 at 8:02 PM, ParadoxLost said:

The one and only thing I liked better about TWOP was most shows would not rate their own sub forum and they'd get archived after being off air for a while.

I found that there was much more to discuss when there was, as an example, a forum for all sci fi shows and one topic per any show that didn't have its own forum.  Whatever raised to the top of a page would create discussion. 

I'm wondering why they don't archive the old stuff.  For example, The View, has episodes going way back.  Nobody is going to comment on them.  Just keep the last 2 or 3 months up.  So hard to plow through when you're looking for something.

• Love 1
(edited)

Laura Vandevoort posted on twitter in the last month or so, to Uber, I think it was, that they had a man show up again, who was not the Uber they ordered. She said she wasn't going to use their service anymore. I guess it was someone who creeped them out, like a stalker-type guy who wasn't even a driver for them.

Edited by Anela

I ignored the youtube drama that people were talking about recently, because I didn't know who either of the people involved were, and someone told me not to bother, when I said that I'd google. 

This week, there has been drama in the gaming world, and so I've seen the drama, because it directly involved someone that I've followed for about eighteen months. I saw something called Drama Alert, people were talking about cancel culture, and people checking youtube subscriber numbers. So I checked it out, and left the page open. One guy's  numbers were slowly going down, over the past two days. As soon as he posted a video response, last night, his numbers started to go up again. Anyway, it made me glad that I'm not a celebrity in any form, no matter how much I'd love the millions that make.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

My mother died last week.  She was on hospice off and on for a couple of years.

My condolences for your loss. I hope that the hospice care helped your mother and your family.

When my mom needed hospice care, 20+ years ago, doctors were reluctant to admit that there was nothing else to do, so the referral for hospice care was delayed until quite late (hell, I think we had to fight for it to be at home, rather than in a facility).

Thank you, everyone!  My mom was 96 so it wasn't a huge shock.  The big shock was that we lost my uncle (her little brother) three days before her.  I guess he, too, had been under hospice care but my aunt didn't want to tell the extended family.  My mother's sister went from being the middle kid to being an only child in the space of days.

15 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

My mother died last week.  She was on hospice off and on for a couple of years.

I’m so sorry @Angeltoes.  These are trying times to lose someone.  My MIL died last week aft being invalid for seven months.  We don’t live in a close state, so last hubby saw her was January.

Thank you, roamyn, and my condolences to you and your husband.  We hadn't see our Mom since March and we didn't get to celebrate her birthday or Mother's Day with her.  I doubt if she missed us because of the dementia but we missed her.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, roamyn said:

I’m so sorry @Angeltoes.  These are trying times to lose someone.  My MIL died last week aft being invalid for seven months.  We don’t live in a close state, so last hubby saw her was January.

Condolences to you and your husband as well. That's rough.

My heart breaks regarding the news about Naya Rivera. So surreal and awful. I just feel so bad for her poor son. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Am I going crazy? I could have sworn we had a "Still Not Over It" about Television characters' deaths thread for television, but I can't find it.

Does anyone know if it was merged with another thread?

That's the name of the thread in Movies.  The one for TV is called Bye, Felicia.  It's here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

To me it's very sad that some like Britney Spears (spelling?) and others,  spend their entire life posting online.   No such thing as a private conversation, nothing too personal to post on multiple media.  However, I bet the ex, and sons have Britney blocked on everything they can, and probably have others who pass along everything to them, or see it posted on media.   

I can't imagine some of the influencers or celebrities who post every meal, every activity, and all to get more followers.   The worst are the wanna be influencers who thing everything they do is fascinating to the rest of us.    Though I understand you can buy followers, which explains all of the  'people you may know' suggestions for people I don't even know. 

• Like 3
On 9/4/2022 at 9:55 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

To me it's very sad that some like Britney Spears (spelling?) and others,  spend their entire life posting online.   No such thing as a private conversation, nothing too personal to post on multiple media.  However, I bet the ex, and sons have Britney blocked on everything they can, and probably have others who pass along everything to them, or see it posted on media.   

I can't imagine some of the influencers or celebrities who post every meal, every activity, and all to get more followers.   The worst are the wanna be influencers who thing everything they do is fascinating to the rest of us.    Though I understand you can buy followers, which explains all of the  'people you may know' suggestions for people I don't even know. 

I think it’s odd how for years there was hardly anything in the media about Britney or her sons.  Then, I recall I saw a few videos of her doing bizarre yoga poses or dance moves online.  I played one for my brother and he commented how weird it was.  He said man, she’s really out there….FF a few months and her conservatorship was being challenged.  It’s gone pretty downhill since.  I suspect it’s only the beginning and more people will be cut from her life, like her Dad, mom, sister, housekeeper, ex husband, and kids.