Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E03: The Scar

raven
  • Start Topic

Still trying to solve the mystery of what happened to Dean, Sam enlists the help of Sheriff Jody Mills who may unknowingly already be on the case. Castiel continues to be a father figure to Jack, who surprises even himself, when a life is on the line.

Airdate 2018.10.25

• Love 1

I liked this episode. Really good stuff for Dean/Jesen. The Michael/Kaia fight was cool although a bit short. I liked Kaia's final scene as well as the call back to the backdoor pilot.

I liked the Dean/Sam scenes and always love Jody. 

The Castiel/Jack scenes really work for me. I'm surprised how much I enjoy Jack and I'm now super worried about him.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9

Not ten minutes in before Dean called himself a dick. And it went down hill from there. I know I said I wouldn't watch, but it was like a train wreck - I couldn't look away.

It was like a really bad after school special, complete with teenagers teaching dumb old adults life lessons.

• Love 10

Totally predictable.

Everything we talked about in the bitter spoilers thread happened.

Don't waste your time if you're a Dean fan who's tired of the same old, same old for the character.

Oh, and if you don't want to see Dabb's Wayward Sue save the day after she calls Dean weak numerous times.

Another one that blew chunks.

Oh, and Guilt is going to be Dean's storyline this season-again and some more-until they can think of a way to write him out further, that is, I'm sure.

Pathetic. 

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 5

I liked it.  The opening was funny with Dean complaining about Sam's beard.  I will never not love the brother stuff.

Too many hunters in the bunker, though.  I've always said that bunker doesn't really belong to just them, but at the same time, I'm just not into the compound.  

Does anybody know who played Jules?  she looked familiar.

It's marked "gross stuff."  My bet is that was Dean's work.  LOL.  

Jack's coughing up blood.  Maybe he's doing trials:)  I can't figure out if he's sick just because he's human or if he contaminated himself somehow with the witch necklaces.  And speaking of which (no pun intended), why the frickety-frack didn't anyone think to take that necklace off of Laura.  Even Jack should have known that a witch wouldn't just give people jewelry to be generous.

• Love 11

I wasn't home in time to watch from the beginning, so I figure I'd do myself a favor and watch for the first time tomorrow, without commercials.  If nothing else, I'll be happy to have Dean back.  I'm fine with them having flashbacks and references back to his time as Michael, but entire episodes with no Dean just feel weird to me.  Looking forward to this one.

• Love 3

Two things that worry me re: the possibility of Michael still being in Dean.  1. He was just able to punch out Not!Kaya.  Someone who was able to best Michael in a fight well enough to hurt him and take out 3 supervamps.  I know Dean is awesome and all, but still.  2. HIs obsession with the weapon.  I know it can kill Michael, but Michael wanted it pretty badly, also.

• Love 2

I really liked the episode. It helps that the cast was not big this episode, so the stories were tighter. 

The Dean/Sam stuff ft Jody was really, really good. I loved seeing Dean still dealing with the repercussions of Michael being inside of him, and Sam worrying about Dean in general. I thought it made perfect sense for both Winchesters to react the way that they did. Plus, hilarious moment with Dean making fun of Sam's beard.  It was a good episode as a fan of both brothers. Plus, Jody! I could always use more Jody! She loves both brothers!

I also like the actress who plays Kaia. She's one of the better actresses so it was great seeing her and we'll likely see her again.

Cas/Jack scenes were excellent. I liked the case with the girl as well. 

I do wonder about what's going on with Jack. 

Overall, an excellent episode.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Oh, and if you don't want to see Dabb's Wayward Sue save the day after she calls Dean weak numerous times.

Not just weak, but basically no better than the monsters. First they had him bully the Nougat Baby (and call himself a dick for it). Then they made sure to remind us he put a gun in Kaia's face. Then they had the teenage mutant ninja wayward kick his ass, laugh at the idea he could strike fear in her, and remind him he was weak, when not being a mindless killer. I'd like to think I'm exaggerating here, but all of that happened.

Oh, and when Dean took all the blame for Michael, said he was stupid - Sam sat there and let him. No, 'you saved my life, you saved Jack', just 'you did what you had to do'. Weak sauce, man. Weak sauce. Sorry but Sam's 'worry' did not come across as worry about Dean - not even a little bit.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Oh, and when Dean took all the blame for Michael, said he was stupid

Well, it was stupid.  They've been around that block too many times for me to call it a smart move.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Two things that worry me re: the possibility of Michael still being in Dean.  1. He was just able to punch out Not!Kaya.  Someone who was able to best Michael in a fight well enough to hurt him and take out 3 supervamps.  I know Dean is awesome and all, but still.  2. HIs obsession with the weapon.  I know it can kill Michael, but Michael wanted it pretty badly, also.

Spoiler

Dabb was 100% adamant in his interview that Michael is not in Dean. He was doing damage control, so I doubt he was lying again.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, gonzosgirrl said:

No just weak, but basically no better than a mindless monster. First they had him bully the Nougat Baby (and call himself a dick for it). Then they made sure to remind us he put a gun in Kaia's face. Then they had the teenage mutant ninja wayward kick his ass, laugh at the idea he could strike fear in her, and remind him he was weak, when not being a mindless killer. I'd like to think I'm exaggerating here, but all of that happened.

Oh, and when Dean took all the blame for Michael, said he was stupid - Sam sat there and let him. No, 'you saved my life, you saved Jack', just 'you did what you had to do'. Weak sauce, man. Weak sauce.

Yup. This. All of it.

Again I say it-Pathetic writing, even while JA continues to try to make the same old stuff work for his character.

That's what's really sad about all of this, at this point.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Well, it was stupid.  They've been around that block too many times for me to call it a smart move.

He also saved their lives. Could he not have comforted him just a little bit? Maybe he should just sharpen the blade for him so the cuts will be quicker.

Not one person thanked him for his sacrifice or for killing Lucifer. Not one.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yes, if only he'd let Lucifer do whatever the hell he wanted.

That would have been the smart thing to do.

• Love 7
Just now, Myrelle said:

You'll never convince me that angel possessions, demon deals, or the like are agood thing.  the ends do not justify the means.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

He also saved their lives. Could he not have comforted him just a little bit? Maybe he should just sharpen the blade for him so the cuts will be quicker.

I feel like crying after reading this.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Yep. Should've cut his losses and hopped on a ship to Hawaii. Let the world (and Sam and Jack) burn.

3 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I feel like crying after reading this.

I felt like it through most of the episode. It really is not smart to let a show bother me so much (for all the wrong reasons).

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 6
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

Yep. Should've cut his losses and hopped on a ship to Hawaii. Let world (and Sam and Jack) burn.

Lucifer had been roaming around for 2 or 3 seasons.  HE could have looked for something else.  He mainly did it to save Sam.  Because Michael is just as much of a danger to the world, that that was pretty much a lateral move.  You could make the argument that using the Book of the Damned saved the world from crazed mark of Cain DEan, but it unleashed something worse that was able to be talked down so couldn't have been too bad, but still was the wrong thing to do.  Again, ends don't justify means.  Of course, if they hadn't opened the rift in the first place to save Mary, Michael wouldn't have been in the world for Dean to say yes to in the first place.   Every time they do one stupid thing, they get to double down and do something else stupid.  They really should just stop at some point.  The world will stumble on, or it won't.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Lucifer had been roaming around for 2 or 3 seasons.  HE could have looked for something else.  He mainly did it to save Sam.  Because Michael is just as much of a danger to the world, that that was pretty much a lateral move.  You could make the argument that using the Book of the Damned saved the world from crazed mark of Cain DEan, but it unleashed something worse that was able to be talked down so couldn't have been too bad, but still was the wrong thing to do.  Again, ends don't justify means.  Of course, if they hadn't opened the rift in the first place to save Mary, Michael wouldn't have been in the world for Dean to say yes to in the first place.   Every time they do one stupid thing, they get to double down and do something else stupid.  They really should just stop at some point.  The world will stumble on, or it won't.

Lucifer had just taken all of the nephilim's grace and was more powerful than ever before.

But regardless of all that - even if it was 'stupid' - in their world, Dean saved Sam and Jack's life at a great cost to himself. Is 'thanks, Dean' really too much to ask?

• Love 10
(edited)

Keep the talk on this episode and events which relate to what took place in it;  do not rehash past seasons or make general statements about the show history and characters.

Edited by raven
edited for clarity
  • Love 3

I will say that I'm surprised nobody has brought up the fact that Michael seems to have disappeared....but nobody is questioning where he went or seemingly worried. Obviously, there is some worry, but not anything instant, as in "we gotta find Michael right now because who knows what he's planning!" Dean wants the weapon that can hurt Michael, Sam wants to know what happened with Dean when Michael was inside him, and not one person has said "Ok, so....if Michael left, where'd he go?" The one downside to a supervillain that suddenly needs to disappear for a few episodes is that the characters can't focus all of their time finding said villain. Supernatural is notorious for having plenty of filler episodes. Luckily, this wasn't one of them so that's why I enjoyed it.

Again, a great thing about the episode is that the story was really cohesive on all ends. Sam/Dean had their case with Jody, but it related to what went on with Michael and Dean. Plus, we got some great Dean/Sam scenes. Jack/Cas had a case unrelated, but it was a very simple case and dealt more with character growth with Jack. That's why the episode worked for me. This could have been a pointless filler episode that dealt with the overall characters' stories as an afterthought, but it didn't. 

• Love 7

I think I saw this movie once where someone died for a couple of minutes and then she came back and she could heal people, but she would get their sickness.  I wonder if Jack got the aging sickness somehow because it has to transfer to someone. It can't just die.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

You're right -- no one seemed to even care. Well, except for Jody maybe. She didn't thank him, but in an episode dedicated to diminishing and demeaning my favorite character, she helped a little. At least she was overjoyed to see Dean again, she understood why the hunt was so important to him, and wonder of wonders, she even told him that he didn't need to apologize for anything. She is a good person.

Also, I think that the character of Jody is well-acted. The realness and three-dimensional humanity that Kim Rhodes brings to the role is really refreshing when compared to the flatness of a cardboard character like Jack. The more the show tries to push his story, the less interesting he becomes to me.

• Love 12

Since I haven't seen the episode, I can't really comment on what was said or not said about thanking Dean for killing Lucifer.  But as Katy M pointed out, this is what they do.  They solve one crisis by causing an even bigger crisis.  It's been that way since the beginning, and it has gotten a bit absurd as it's gone on.  They really should stop with the "end of the world" storylines and go back to stories of the supernatural, but we know that's not going to happen.  And I will forever be angry and frustrated by that.

• Love 5

Very disappointing, as expected.  I liked Dean best when he was just laser focused, speeding down the highway or staring down AUKia.

The Dean Winchester-I-do-what-I-have-to-do is the one I will ALWAYS watch.  The guilt ridden,  apologetic  Dean who blames himself for everything just makes me sad and mad and frustrated.  Fourteen years in how can I still be so emotionally invested in a show/character?? And why after all these years if I know he's not going to want to talk it to death right away doesn't Sam?  He told Jody Dean was working something out but he kept hammering at him every. chance. he. got.  SHUT UP Sam.  

• Love 14

I get Dean's guilt about saying yes to Michael, but you know... I really wanted Sam to point out that, be that as it may, he said yes in order to save the planet from Lucifer. Which he succeeded in doing. So he's still a hero.

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Yep. Should've cut his losses and hopped on a ship to Hawaii. Let the world (and Sam and Jack) burn.

I felt like it through most of the episode. It really is not smart to let a show bother me so much (for all the wrong reasons).

I would have totally switched over to that show without a second thought. 

Not much to say about tonight's episode except that I did love laser-hunt-focused Dean. That was the best thing about tonight! Dean hunting. 

I actually didn't mind Jody too much, although her whinging about Claire did grate some, as well as all the crap about loss, like the brothers didn't feel guilty enough over what's her face, the K-chick. That crap I could have done without.  As well as Sam and his crap. Jack and his crap. 

As stated above, sick and tired of the self-depreciating drivel that these writers make Dean say that none of his "so-called family and friends" will ever counter or that his friends and family will never give him any kind of encouragement like they constantly give EVERYONE who is not named Dean. In other words, Dean is back in his normal "sidekick/Sam's brother only" corner. 

The rest of my episode thoughts are moving to the bitterness thread so as not to get in trouble.

Edited by Res
  • Love 9
20 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Since I haven't seen the episode, I can't really comment on what was said or not said about thanking Dean for killing Lucifer.  But as Katy M pointed out, this is what they do.  They solve one crisis by causing an even bigger crisis.  It's been that way since the beginning, and it has gotten a bit absurd as it's gone on.  They really should stop with the "end of the world" storylines and go back to stories of the supernatural, but we know that's not going to happen.  And I will forever be angry and frustrated by that.

In the big picture, yes. But on a personal, brother-to-brother level, or brother-to-whatever Jack is level, or brother to BFF level, Dean saved them. I would've taken 'sure, you screwed the world, but still, thank you for saving us'. It wasn't acknowledged in any way. It felt like they only had Jack finally cave and hug Dean so Dean would seem like an even bigger dick when he was mean to the poor nougat.

• Love 6

Not much to say about this one.  The absolute best thing about it, that I really, really enjoyed, was that there was no Nick.

Everything else was badly written, full of plot holes (why couldn't Michael just explode Kaia and take the spear, since, despite the ninja powers, she was supposedly just an AU human like all the other AU hunters?) and downright annoying characterizations (Sam ONCE AGAIN pushing Dean to talk, Dean ONCE AGAIN turning violent for no reason, random person taunting him and calling him not only weak, but afraid and that he's "always been a killer" (FU very much, Buck-Lemming, for creating the one piece of retro canon that everyone seems to follow). ONCE AGAIN having Dean apologize for everything that has ever gone wrong in the world, and having the latest pet character saving the hunters' asses without breaking a sweat.   And having Jack discover what a wonderful life it really is and he doesn't need any superduper powers to be the best darn hunter ever!)  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Bergamot said:

You're right -- no one seemed to even care. Well, except for Jody maybe. She didn't thank him, but in an episode dedicated to diminishing and demeaning my favorite character, she helped a little. At least she was overjoyed to see Dean again, she understood why the hunt was so important to him, and wonder of wonders, she even told him that he didn't need to apologize for anything. She is a good person.

Also, I think that the character of Jody is well-acted. The realness and three-dimensional humanity that Kim Rhodes brings to the role is really refreshing when compared to the flatness of a cardboard character like Jack. The more the show tries to push his story, the less interesting he becomes to me.

The Jack stuff is so juvenile, and I feel bad for MC having to be stuck in the middle of it as the support player and nothing more.  

But the reason I hated this one is because of the bolded part.

It was hard for me to see this one in any other way or light because that's what the writing gave us, IMO; and even Jensen couldn't change it or soften it for me in any way this time. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

Every time they do one stupid thing, they get to double down and do something else stupid.  They really should just stop at some point.  The world will stumble on, or it won't.

Then the show is OVER.  This is a no win situation.  The writers can't do this because they lack the creativity to actually do something worthwhile.  So they redo the old storylines over and over.

• Love 6

Oh that was bad.

Jensen, as usual did the best he could with the writing.

I am sick to fucking death of Berens, specifically, casting Dean as a bully, mean to women and children and whatever other garbage he's spouting to prop the Wayward Whatevers. 

I KNEW that they would have that bit with Dean putting a gun in Kaia's face not lie.  I called it last season and boom there it is.  

Dean as always, remains the smartest hunter out there.  He figured out to shoot Evil!Kaia's chair.  That was awesome. 

I don't know how much more I can take of the destruction of Dean's characterization. I love Jensen's work but this is becoming a chore now. 

• Love 11
42 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

The absolute best thing about it, that I really, really enjoyed, was that there was no Nick.

I enjoyed this as well, although my pleasure in his absence was diminished a bit by the way they had to have Sam ask about him -- you know, because Nick is just so important and crucial and enthralling a character, that the audience might be upset if his name didn't come up.

48 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

And having Jack discover what a wonderful life it really is and he doesn't need any superduper powers to be the best darn hunter ever!

Oh, okay! Thanks for this, ahrtee, since I actually wasn't sure what the point of that part of the episode was. Unfortunately I have to admit that I didn't quite follow exactly what Jack did in the end to save the damsel in distress, due to my total and profound indifference to what was going on there, but maybe it won't matter. I did find two moments from the story to be kind of funny, except I don't think I was supposed to. First, the part where Jack is packing up his little knapsack and leaving his note on his pillow! as he prepares to run away from home! because no one appreciates him! -- maybe this was supposed to tug at my heartstrings, but it seemed so silly to me that I couldn't take it seriously. And second, the part where Cas and the random hunter are loudly chanting the spell together to produce the big poof of purple smoke -- they both looked so earnest and solemn and very ridiculous all of the sudden. I don't know, somehow when Rowena works her spells it doesn't look as stupid to me as this one did, I don't know why. I think maybe because she does it with panache, as well as an underlying understanding -- almost a flaunting -- of the silliness of it.

• Love 7

I thought it was excellent. 

First thoughts:

- Loved the beard gag at the beginning. 

- I so wanted Dean/Cas to hug.  It felt like Cas needed a hug!

- Sam is never gonna love down ‘Chief’.

- LOVED the analogy of drowning.  That’s a nightmare existence I can really ‘feel’. 

- Classic Dean is blaming himself.  I like that Sam isn’t buying it.  Neither is Jody. 

- I liked the hunter who worked with Cas.  Glad they saved the girl.  

- Jack with TB-like cough is alarming.

-I really, really like Dark Kaia.  Excellent fight scenes.  

- Good flashback.  

More tomorrow post rewatch.  

Edited by SueB
  • Love 8

Well, seeing as how I didn't see last years desperate attempt at a spin-off, I had no idea of what the hell was happening with that ninja!girl or where that new blade came from. ??

Sheriff Jodie talks too much. 

I was screaming at the tv to tell Jack to take off the stupid necklace from the girl. 

Ultimately it felt a little bit more like our show with Dean driving Baby and Sam right by his side. 

So, did the cop from Hunter Heroici become a hunter?  I hope so. 

There was far too much Sam bitchface in this episode. 

Sam, how long have you been riding with Dean and only now you decide that 80 MPH is somehow too fast? There is no way in Hell they haven't been driving that fast for 14 years given how quickly they get from Kansas to many other places.  That was so stupid.

Michael!Dean's shoulders were fucking rocking in that scene with Evil!Kaia.

• Love 8

Well I suppose if you were a huge fan of Wayward Sisters then this was the episode for you.  It wasn't the episode I was hoping for after Dean's mysterious return.  But thank goodness there was a magical more powerful than Chuck teenager to save Dean from Michael and save Sam, Dean and Jody from supercharged werewolves (Sam, Mary and Bobby easily dispatched them last week).  Not at all what I was expecting.  No wonder Dabb kept that this was a Wayward ep a secret.  

What the hell is with the appearing/disappearing AU Hunters?  One second the Bunker is teeming with people the next it's an empty cavern.  At least last week Sam sent them off on a vampire hunt.  And no one seemed at all interested in Dean being back, they barely even acknowledged he was in the room. And the traumatized ex vessel of Lucifer just took off and the only response from Sam was "huh"?   I don't know where this ep should have been placed in the season (if anywhere) but the very next ep after Dean's return wasn't it.

I don't even know what to say about Jack, Cas and random cursed girl.  Weird?

Just so disappointing all around.

11 minutes ago, Ninamags said:

Sheriff Jodie talks too much.

This...

• Love 8

Why didn't Sam prepare Dean for all the hunters in the bunker? He KNOWS Dean thinks of that as his home.  And it's one thing for Cas, Jack, , Mary, Eileen, Kevin, Charlie to frequent because they are family.  Hell I can even make a case for  Crowley, God, Amara, Lucifer to show up because they are not family but they have history with Dean and Sam and some are all powerful and showed up. 

IMO, Sam turned Dean's home into a workplace without even thinking to tell Dean, oh BTW every hunter and their brother hangs out there now.  Of course, Sam did say that he never really saw it as a home either in s8 I think it was....but he could have given Dean a head's up. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Myrelle said:

Totally predictable.

Everything we talked about in the bitter spoilers thread happened.

No it didn’t. 

- Kaia isn’t the Big Bad

- There was no scene of Dean saying Jack was right. 

- Dean’s pain was about Dean, not Sam. 

- The major flashback was completely new material. 

- Absolutely NO ONE told Dean to suck it up or he was a princess.

What DID happen that was predicted:

- Dean felt guilty.  Well, that’s kind of his move.  It would have been out of character if he didn’t. 

- @catrox14 was right about them bringing up Dean’ s anger last year. 

- Evil Kaia completely trash talked Dean

-Evil Kaia was a badass   But predicteing a character trait that was previously established is hardly groundbreaking.

- Dean called himself a dick.  But that’s cause he kind was this episode. He knows it.  That he’s self aware is a good thing. It’s part of him dealing with his trauma.  People love him and aren’t going to take him to task for it.  

Not predicted:

- Evil Kaia wasn’t so evil. 

My point - there was just about as much wrong guessing as right. If you want to think the show sucks, that’s fine.  But predicting the show would suck and saying it did afterwords does not make either statement suddenly objectively true.  

1 minute ago, 7kstar said:

Haven't watched, was hoping it would be a fun one but not excited to watch now...Darn, I usually love to watch Jody.

I really liked it and Jody was perfect, as usual. 

• Love 12

I laughed that Jody's phone said "Claire Novak".....as if it needed Claire's last name for Jody to know who "Claire" was.

Why did Sam and Jody have to give Dean those disapproving looks when he suggested they do what ever to get the info from Evil!Kaia.  I remember when Sam was on board with torturing a demon to find Dean...but nope this teen ninja was too far? Even though she admitted that she wanted and tried to kill Claire???  And tried to Sam and Dean in the alt world? 

Okay, Berens...whatever...

• Love 6

Really liked it ! 

Didnt expect it but the Jack - Cas scenes were the highlight of the episode for me. I really look forward to see Jack's evolution as a character, and I wish for an exciting arc for Cas this year !

As for Plot A, I really enjoyed it, quite curious to see what Kira (or her evil sleepwalking twin) will bring to the plot and if we'll see some more of the (sadlynottohavetheirownshow) Wayward Sisters ! 

And found Dean's confession at the end quite powerful, and good ol' classic but never disapointing Winchester Bonding Moment ! 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, SueB said:

Dean called himself a dick.  But that’s cause he kind was this episode. He knows it.  That he’s self aware is a good thing. It’s part of him dealing with his trauma.  People love him and aren’t going to take him to task for it.  

Except he wasn't. That's the problem.  He wasn't overly rude to anyone and he wanted to hunt Michael and get to evil!Kaia.  He's been WAY more dickish than here. 

Given that you mentioned my point, I didn't say they brought up Dean's anger....I said they wouldn't let it go that Dean did that...however, the part that's not being addressed is that was wildly OOC behavior for Dean...and the show has YET TO have anyone mention that Dean ONLY behaved that way because he flipped out about Mary. It's being framed that Dean is some kind of murdering loose canon with no control....ever and that's simply not the case.   I just wanted to make my point more clear, FTR.

• Love 11
17 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Except he wasn't. That's the problem.  He wasn't overly rude to anyone and he wanted to hunt Michael and get to evil!Kaia.  He's been WAY more dickish than here. 

Yeah, to me Dean was just being blunt and matter-of-factly. Tbh I feel like the only reason he came off as dickish is because it's such a stark contrast to the coddling Jack is used to receiving from Cas and Sam. Even in this episode Cas was apologizing to Jack for... what exactly? Not letting Jack go with Sam & Dean and get his ass kicked again?

• Love 11