Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: The Girl Who Cried About Wolf

Murphy worries of being scooped while legal vets her weighty investigative story, and is exasperated when she learns Frank is dating an anchor, Christy Shepherd, from the competing Wolf Network. Also, Murphy leads Avery on a wild goose chase when he attempts to figure out her story.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1

I'm going to say it: the strongest episode of the series so far. The only real awkward moment for me was the brief deportation conversation at Phil's. That's it.

To everyone who gave up after last week: your loss. :P

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I loved Avery's, "I love you. And you love me." *Holds up Barney doll* "And we're a happy family." 

I did too. Even though I'm no fan of Barney.

Really liked tonight's episode. I definitely do not trust the social media dude now, after the Google robot like thing leaked the story like the little mechanical Trojan horse it is.

5 minutes ago, UYI said:

I'm going to say it: the strongest episode of the series so far. The only real awkward moment for me was the brief deportation conversation at Phil's. That's it.

I didn't mind the conversation, really liked how Phillis handled it.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I loved Avery's, "I love you. And you love me." *Holds up Barney doll* "And we're a happy family." 

I love any Barney joke that can be organically squeezed in.

5 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Really liked tonight's episode. I definitely do not trust the social media dude now, after the Google robot like thing leaked the story like the little mechanical Trojan horse it is.

Remember he said it was a product not yet available on the market. Obviously it has some notable bugs. But I don’t think we are meant to blame Patel (Is that the actor or character?).

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Wanda said:

I love any Barney joke that can be organically squeezed in.

Remember he said it was a product not yet available on the market. Obviously it has some notable bugs. But I don’t think we are meant to blame Patel (Is that the actor or character?).

Ah.

Could be.  Maybe... I hope it was just buggy and not someone doing something to it. But given what he did in the ep (the hacking into people's computers), I think it was meant as yet again another red herring. So the blame goes with the company there.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I’ve said it before, but their relationship is my favorite and the best!!!!

9 minutes ago, Wanda said:

But I don’t think we are meant to blame Patel (Is that the actor or character?).

Patel is his character’s name.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I didn't mind the conversation, really liked how Phillis handled it.

Phyllis' part was great; the beginning was the awkward part to me. 

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I think Candice Bergen looks great ... but who in the world thought anyone would look good in that combination strait jacket-homemade pot holder she wore for most of the episode???

I was so distracted by all the white straps during the episode.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, UYI said:

Phyllis' part was great; the beginning was the awkward part to me. 

Fair point. It was just the usual R not liking someone else of color there. Can see what you mean in regards to the awkwardness though.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Wanda said:

As the mother of a 24 yr old autistic son who has been watching Barney nonstop all those years, my favorite part was the image of Murphy thinking she could bury that purple dinosaur and silence him lol

My 8 year old son also has autism and yes his obsessions can do my head in but gotta love them. 

That did crack me up. Barney was my oldest son's (26 now) favorite.  I'm happy my 8 yr old never watched Barney lol.

• Love 6

I thought it was funny. It felt much more natural too, which helped.

Still, I thought the smart speaker was kind of obvious. If Alexa can inadvertently email sensitive conversations to contacts and get used by the police in investigations because it's always listening (and recording) no one thought VAL might be an issue?  Though the ending was amusing. 

• Love 8

A bit too much of Frank.  The relationship between Murphy and her son is good. I forgot how much I loved Miles. The show may be preachy, but in my case it's preaching to the choir, and I enjoy it.

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And, Christ, if they’d bothered to build an office set for Murphy, they could have had their private conversation there.   But then VAL couldn’t have overheard and we wouldn't have a plot.

This.  There should be at least one soundproof meeting room in that building for delicate conversations.  I work in the biz so it's expected to deal with confidential info as a matter of course.  I knew it was the Alexa expy from the beginning.  Such devices are actually forbidden in newsrooms for that reason.  

I also appreciate the subplot of having loved ones who for for rival networks.  That is a reality for many.    I was sad to see Frank lose his gf like that.  It was obvious he really liked her.   When she left he hotel, I couldn't help but say out loud, "Go after her you dope!".  I loved his remark about how an Italian's sexual prowess is the last thing to go!  

Low hanging fruit as usual, but at least this episode was funnier than the past several.  

10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Murphy, despite her reflexive anger, later asking Avery about it, and her pride when he said if he came across that kind of info, he’d use it himself.

I love the Barney story.  He went out for a walk and never came back!  Avery and Murphy for the win.

Ditto.  Totally in character.

A bit too much of Frank. 

No such thing!  Besides, he was overdue for some attention.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 9
27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I love VAL updating itself by the second on the number of Trump lies (“Apologies, he is currently at a rally”).  I laughed out loud.

Phyllis’s reaction to the MAGA ass - “I’ll deport your ass right out that door” – was fun, but I liked her smile/laugh when the busboy was telling him off even more; pure delight on her face.

Agreed :D. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, nokat said:

It was a bit funny when Murphy asked, why can't I get a decent assistant.

And Miles told her the head of HR hates her, which ties back to the original series' line, "Someone in Personnel hates me."

I am disappointed they haven't made gold out of the revolving door of assistants the way I thought they would -- with just 13 episodes, I figured we'd have 13 great guest shot appearances in that role.  And they came out of the gate stronger than I could have ever imagined with Secretary (hee) Clinton in the first episode (hillary@youcouldhavehadme.com still makes me laugh when I think about it).  But since then it hasn't just been a lack of heavy hitters, we've only had the one additional interview with a "regular" actor/character.  "I'm Murphy Brown and you must be my new secretary" was such an iconic aspect of the original series each week, I'm sad to see it only half-heartedly continued.  Add in the "we don't want to build a Murphy's Office set" cost cutting meaning we don't see the return of Murphy's dart board, and there are some small but beloved things I'm missing. 

I'm still a happy viewer, though.  This hasn't lived up to my high expectations, and I'd love for the final stretch, when they're doing quick turn-arounds, to really knock it out of the park, but I'm happy with what we've been given, and if there's never a better episode than what we've seen so far, I'll still be unequivocally grateful this came back at this time.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 19

@bastet, I think we both had very high expectations.  But I'll take what I can get.  The gold, revolving door, yes, I was expecting more. People may be afraid yet of showing up. Or, appearing after Hillary.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I think Candice Bergen looks great ... but who in the world thought anyone would look good in that combination strait jacket-homemade pot holder she wore for most of the episode???

And could hop over a couch like that.

And it’s funny that even the wanabee Alexa is a horrible assistant. 

Loved that Patel brought up the Murphy Brown Support Group.

And  Murphy and Avery continue to be a believable mother and son.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

I also really liked the episode, and that says a lot, given a Giant Dildo named Val was on my screen for 90 percent of the time.  I need Val's agent.  She got better camera angles than Candice Bergen!

This reminded me more of the older show.  Clearly a liberal bent, but first and foremost a workplace comedy.  The returning cast also seemed more relaxed and more natural with their line delivery, particularly Bergen and Shaud.  Faith Ford's been great since Day 1.

I thought Frank's girlfriend was a little young for him.  And then I realized that she was a little old to be a female reporter working for the Wolf Network.  Just sayin'  

Speaking of conservative sweeties, I wasn't really expecting it, but I would have loved a Jerry Gold mention in this episode.  Sadly, Jay Thomas died last year, but Jerry was one of my favorite recurring characters back in the day.  And Frank and the rest had a conniption fit when Murphy started dating him.  I thought Frank could have thrown him back in Murphy's face.  

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, nokat said:

The show may be preachy, but in my case it's preaching to the choir, and I enjoy it.

My choir, too - but I still want some laughs.  Maybe the acting is bad?  Maybe too many sermons per episode?  Something is off for me.

I can do without the Tyne Daley character, also.  She's too predictable.

Edited by Tanichka
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I laughed so hard at that.

14 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

14 hours ago, Wanda said:

14 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Ah.

Could be.  Maybe... I hope it was just buggy and not someone doing something to it. But given what he did in the ep (the hacking into people's computers), I think it was meant as yet again another red herring. So the blame goes with the company there.

I think the faux-Alexa was showing how these AI devices record and/or share private information to the masses. There are a multitude of reports of sensitive information being emailed to others, recordings when no one thought it was on, etc...

Though I seriously question any IT department ever allowing such a device in the building to start with.

Edited by theredhead77
Incomplete thoughts form weird sentences
  • Love 10

As much as those IT devices are a god send they aren’t the most accurate devices especially if you have a speech impediment.  And even if you don't you have to be precise in your direction.  I mean very precise.   Think about all the typos on sites like this.  I personally correct my posts all the time and that is just typing.  When a AI is listening to what you say and you are vague in you instructions like you might be to a normal assistant......

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Stayed around hoping this show would improve from its abysmal start. 

And it has. Just slightly.

It's moved on from the one-note and pretty insulting theme of Murphy, Frank, Corky and Miles being clueless old folks stumped by anything introduced since 1992 and addled by age with whippersnappers Avery, Patel et al there to save the day by explaining everything from how to use Twitter to how to ask for consent before having sex.

At last we saw the old folks displaying a touch of the skill and intelligence that, presumably, got them all back on the air. And the youngsters finally have some believable fallibility.

Tyne Daly's "This is my America..." line, and the entire scene, was the best. She's one of the the stronger actors in the cast and needs to be able to shine.

• Love 5

I thought it was a poorer episode, so I'm hoping it was a one-off. The one thing I did laugh at was the Melania hostess at the Trump Tower Bar or whatever that place was called. She looked & sounded so much like Melania.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

And, Christ, if they’d bothered to build an office set for Murphy, they could have had their private conversation there.   But then VAL couldn’t have overheard and we wouldn't have a plot.

I love VAL updating itself by the second on the number of Trump lies (“Apologies, he is currently at a rally”).  I laughed out loud.

Sure it would. VAL would have overheard the same conversation whether the conversation took place in Murphy's office or the set. That being said, I really miss Murphy having an office. Maybe if they get more money in season 2 they'll use it to build more sets. 

“Apologies, he is currently at a rally” was a great line. 

“I ran into her at a conference on the environment.”
“What was she doing there, clubbing seals?”

That line felt like vintage Murphy to me. It was wonderful and I loved it. 

It speaks to how Avery grew up part of the FYI family that Miles didn’t even think about the fact a correspondent for a competing network was sitting there when he blurted out about the interview.  And I love Murphy sending him on a wild goose chase for the tape.  “Well, I’ve been lying to him since he was born, I know what I’m doing.”  And I like the talk between Frank and Murphy about how easy it would be for Avery to find something at home.  And then Murphy, despite her reflexive anger, later asking Avery about it, and her pride when he said if he came across that kind of info, he’d use it himself.

4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

And  Murphy and Avery continue to be a believable mother and son.

Murphy sending him on a wild goose chase was a great litle subplot. I loved how proud Murphy was when Avery said he'd never give a big story like that to someone else, but instead would use it himself. I would love to see an episode where the two of them were actively competing over the same story or interview.  

4 hours ago, Thalia said:

I also really liked the episode, and that says a lot, given a Giant Dildo named Val was on my screen for 90 percent of the time.  I need Val's agent.  She got better camera angles than Candice Bergen!

This reminded me more of the older show.  Clearly a liberal bent, but first and foremost a workplace comedy.  The returning cast also seemed more relaxed and more natural with their line delivery, particularly Bergen and Shaud.  Faith Ford's been great since Day 1.

I thought Frank's girlfriend was a little young for him.  And then I realized that she was a little old to be a female reporter working for the Wolf Network.  Just sayin'  

Speaking of conservative sweeties, I wasn't really expecting it, but I would have loved a Jerry Gold mention in this episode.  Jay Thomas sadly died last year, but Jerry was one of my favorite recurring characters back in the day.  And Frank and the rest had a conniption fit when Murphy started dating him.  I thought Frank could have thrown him back in Murphy's face.  

I'm so sad to hear that Jay Thomas died. I would have loved for Jerry Gold to have made an appearance in this series. Even though the actor died, hopefully they can mention the character. Even if it's just a quick mention about something he was working on when he died or what happened to him. 

• Love 9

I got a chuckle out of Val misunderstanding the command to turn up the volume on the TV but Alexa/Siri interpretation jokes are pretty much well-worn by now.

Look, I like Jake McDorman as much as anyone else but his charms are simply not enough to save this show IMO. If they were, Limitless would still be on the air.

16 hours ago, UYI said:

Agree -they are finding their footing. Avery is such a delight, loved his digging up Mom's backyard. And Miles with his cobra thing-hilarious. I guessed it would be VAL before the reveal at the end, but that was okay.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, rhys said:

I thought it was a poorer episode, so I'm hoping it was a one-off. The one thing I did laugh at was the Melania hostess at the Trump Tower Bar or whatever that place was called. She looked & sounded so much like Melania.

yes and the guy wearing a MBS (Saudi prince) type outfit -for a second I thought Frank and his gf were meeting at a Halloween party.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lois Sandborne said:

Basically, this.  While the writing isn't at the height it used to be, they're doing a bang-up job with the coarser nature of our rhetoric in these times.  I wouldn't mind more something more artfully cutting or subtly withering, but I will gladly take these anvils and barbs they're throwing, too.

I love Julius, the cameraman or whatever he is who keeps interjecting after every wrap.  Sorry, Julius, I don't know your job, but I do love your spirit.

I see people saying again and again that the show isn't funny, and, well, mileage varies.  I've laughed at every episode of this reboot so far though, and I'm enjoying it.  I really think they have Murphy down as a character, even if not the exact tone of what her humor is in this political climate; they have done a wonderful job building the relationship between Murphy and Avery, and showing how Avery relates to everyone else, and they're getting a better handle on how to fill in with Corky, Miles, and Frank, and new folks like Phyllis and Patel.  I'm glad the show's back, and I hope they get to do more.

Exactly. At least they're putting in the effort to try to do so.  Both in terms of the new younger writers and the older ones. Hoping that it keeps on getting better as it goes along.

Word. Is it just me or does he remind me of someone who used to be on the show camera person wise? Could have sworn the old camera guy did something similar.

Yep. Same here. Definitely. I'm glad it's back as well.

• Love 3

I enjoyed this a lot and laughed at Murphy sending her son searching for the non-existent tape. I actually liked that they made the speaker the culprit; the invasiveness of the Internet of Things is a real thing, and it's great if shows like this one get the point across about the risks, which are real.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Is it just me or does he remind me of someone who used to be on the show camera person wise? Could have sworn the old camera guy did something similar.

Indeed  The character was in love with Murphy, which was also a recurring joke, but unfortunately the actor has passed on.  John

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Ailianna said:

Indeed  The character was in love with Murphy, which was also a recurring joke, but unfortunately the actor has passed on.  John

Yea, he really left a big mark on the show. I was really sad hearing about his passing.  :(

4 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

John Hostetter played John, the stage manager.  The cameraman who was infatuated with Murphy was Carl (his portrayer, Ritch Brinkley, is also dead).

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I love Julius, the cameraman or whatever he is who keeps interjecting after every wrap.  Sorry, Julius, I don't know your job, but I do love your spirit.

I meant to mention Julius.  He's funny.  Fairly obvious jokes, but I love the deadpan delivery, and the way the others just seem to ignore him.  Thanks to @Bastet for mentioning Carl.  Another great minor character from Murphy!Classic. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

My 8 year old son also has autism and yes his obsessions can do my head in but gotta love them. 

That did crack me up. Barney was my oldest son's (26 now) favorite.  I'm happy my 8 yr old never watched Barney lol.

My 27 yr old daughter was one of the original Barney watchers and my son fixated on what he saw at the time his autism manifested itself. I’m just glad she didn’t like teletubbies. I’m like a Barney connoisseur. I can give the year based on the voice and kids lol

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Wanda said:

My 27 yr old daughter was one of the original Barney watchers and my son fixated on what he saw at the time his autism manifested itself. I’m just glad she didn’t like teletubbies. I’m like a Barney connoisseur. I can give the year based on the voice and kids lol

Barney and Teletubbies are the two I couldn't stand when babysitting. I'll watch Blues Clues all day long, just please not those. Thankfully none of the kids I babysat were much into them (and my cousin's kids could always be distracted with a Disney movie from my mom's collection; I always brought one I knew they didn't have). Loved Avery teasing Murphy with Barney at the end even if it did give me a bit of an earworm.

• Love 4