Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: The Imitation Perturbation

When Wolowitz dresses up as Sheldon for Halloween, Sheldon seeks retaliation at Leonard and Penny’s Halloween party. Also, Leonard is shocked that Penny doesn’t remember their first kiss.

Airdate: Thursday, October 25, 2018

I can imagine this exact episode being set in a middle school with preteens. How are the BBT characters in their late 30s/early 40s?

Imitating a close friend to the point of copying their speech patterns and mannerisms is almost always dickish and causes hurt feelings because it makes people self-conscious. That being said, Bernadette needed a big helping of STFU. She was fine with Howard mocking Sheldon, including his voice, but the second she is the one being imitated, she thinks it's so hurtful she deserves an apology? This might be what happened, I'm not sure; I kind of spaced out there.

The lack of comments half an hour after the episode says a lot.

• Love 16

I thought this was going to be a rehash of the parking space episode.  I'm glad it went in a different direction, even though it wasn't very funny.  Plus, with the blocks of commercials, I kind of forgot what the plot was supposed to be about.

I did like Raj and his girlfriend's costumes.  She was a good sport.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, CleoCaesar said:

I can imagine this exact episode being set in a middle school with preteens. How are the BBT characters in their late 30s/early 40s?

Imitating a close friend to the point of copying their speech patterns and mannerisms is almost always dickish and causes hurt feelings because it makes people self-conscious. That being said, Bernadette needed a big helping of STFU. She was fine with Howard mocking Sheldon, including his voice, but the second she is the one being imitated, she thinks it's so hurtful she deserves an apology? This might be what happened, I'm not sure; I kind of spaced out there.

The lack of comments half an hour after the episode says a lot.

Continuously being dismissive of a friends’ education and accomplishment is Dickish too, so I guess tit for tat for Sheldon.

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, Driad said:

What was Amy's costume, the purple dress with the corset?  Marie Curie?

She was Doc's wife Clara Clayton from the Back to the Future movie.   https://binged.it/2PWfwvs

FWIW, I found this episode to be just meh.  They could've done better for the Halloween episode.  However, I did like what Penny shared with Leonard about their first kiss.  That was nice. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 11

And what ticked Bernadette off the most was the ridiculing of a physical feature of hers. That should have been off limits. Howards’ “costume/mimicry’ was inspired by the character of Sheldon, to the point where Sheldon himself thought it was an improvement on Howards’ normal self.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

However, I did like what Penny shared with Leonard about their first kiss.  That was nice. 

I really liked this.  Especially in light of recent episodes that flirted with the idea that Leonard is afraid of Penny.  Such a stupid idea that I hope they've dropped.

Anyway I liked this one quite a lot - I appreciate that while they aren't really changing Sheldon and Bernadette they're explaining what has gone into making them the people that they are.  And I loved the ending,  definitely laughed out loud. 

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 22

I did appreciate . . .

• the revelation about how much alike Bernadette and Sheldon are--even though it's really a reflection of the writers using the same jokes for both characters over the years--I want to believe that the writers just noticed it.
  • Leonard and Penny resolving what they would observe as their "official" first kiss for all the right reasons.
  • showcasing Simon Helberg's and Mayim Bialik's impersonation talents

I like to think Jim Parsons chose to do the dress-up-as-a-friend bit more subtly--letting Sheldon (who would not be a good impersonator) show through
--and that maybe JP felt just as uncomfortable with this type of bullying as I did watching it.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I loved this episode. Best one in a while. They even showed a nice relationship between Raj and Anu. 

I loved when she came to Raj's defense, twirling around to cite free speech somewhere on the back of the constitution she was wearing.  So cute.  (And Raj interprets her and she had on the 'bill of tights' underneath.)

Simon was awesome dressed up as and mimicking Sheldon. He is so talented! That cracked me up.  He looked so different with Sheldon's hair style.  I think Sheldon looked even more bizarre with Howard's hairstyle later on. (Sorry Sheldon... 'later in the episode' ... so you don't have to go home and scream in your pillow.)

I know Sheldon makes cutting remarks to and about people, especially Howard... but that still would be very painful to have your friends ridiculing and laughing at you about your most basic defining characteristics, especially if you weren't even aware they were so weird and off-putting.  I laughed a lot at Sheldon's lack of awareness, but I also felt bad for him.

I was glad Amy was sympathetic.  Mayim looked great in both of her costumes. Her impersonation of Bernadette was spot on and very funny.

The Mary Poppins & chimney sweep costumes were awesome and I loved Leonard's helicopter hat. 

I also laughed at Stewart's answer to Burt's question about whether it was a good party... "Oh yeah!"  It was all in the delivery.

I was glad Sheldon went to apologize to Bernadette.  I don't blame Howard for driving off!  Haha. I have enjoyed the Sheldon/Bernadette one-on-one conversations in this series almost as much as Sheldon/Penny.  It was nice that they were able to find common ground at the end.

• Love 23

There seems to be a pattern this season of Sheldon acting like early Sheldon and then coming to an epiphany (somewhat) about his behavior.

Leonard/Penny (would it have been creepy for her to dress as IG Penny?) and Raj/Anu we're both cute in this episode.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CleoCaesar said:

Some of my co-workers talked about a legendary Halloween party before my time there, at which one guy dressed as another, and not in a complimentary way.  Oh, those crazy PhDs!  The one being imitated was a dick and a slob and deserved some humiliation.  Sheldon's a dick and a control freak, not to mention  rude and condescending, and also  deserved it.

• Love 12

I feel like Amy took a giant step back in this episode. I can't believe that she, who's been pushing Sheldon to be a more mature person, wouldn't have made him go confront Howard himself. She was terrible. I also think that Howard and Bernadette shouldn't have cared about being imitated. They haven't shown that they really care about the opinions of Amy and Sheldon. 

Too bad Sheldon didn't realize that his friends *do* think he's an annoying nutjob. 

• Love 15

Wasn't light hearted and fun enough for me, I find the lack of friendship between them (and its been a running theme all season long) annoying and I'm getting tired of it.

It should have been a light hearted, fun episode but instead it was just more petty bs. Really disappointing.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Wanda said:

And what ticked Bernadette off the most was the ridiculing of a physical feature of hers. That should have been off limits.

Yeah, that bugged.  And it was compounded by Bernie's "Oh, so you wanna talk about bodies?  You really wanna go there" to Amy came dangerously close to fat-shaming, IMO.

• Love 5

Simon Helberg is so good at impersonations.  Mayim did a nice "Bernie" too.  Loved Leonard's Inspector Gadget costume, Raj & almost Mrs. Raj's couple costume.  If all the other couples did couple-themes, why didn't Leonard & Penny?  She was the one who complained that women are always expected to be "sexy" <fill in the blank>.  Then she shows up as buxom St. Pauli Girl?  Is it in her contract that the actress must always be the "hot" one in the room?  It's similar to Modern Family's star Sofia Vagara.  Her character is always wearing low cut and tight clothes, no matter the scene or situation.  Anyway, re. Penny & Leonard not matching...just speaks to why they are not a good couple.  The only thing Penny seems to like about Leonard is having sex with him.  She just doesn't show any loving interest or concern for him.  She was sweeter to him when she was dating other people.  Over the years Penny has become unlikeable.  I'm glad this is the final season.  Most of these characters have worn out their welcome. 

• Love 4

I actually liked where Penny and Leonard ended up this episode.  When they started out disagreeing when their first kiss happened, I was worried it was going to be another Penny and Leonard have nothing in common, they can't even agree on their first kiss SL, but Penny's explanation was great.

I also liked Amy rescuing Sheldon from having to watch Halloween.  Sheldon is very lucky to have Amy.

• Love 19

I liked this one.  I was worried when it started for both the Sheldon/Howard story line and the Penny/Leonard story line but I really like where they ended.

Regarding Penny and Leonard, I am open that I don't like them as a couple and I thought it was going to be another episode where Leonard looks desperate and Penny seems not that into their relationship. But that pay off was great (I still don't like them as a coup;e though, lol). 

Regarding Sheldon/Howard, I thought it was going to be a rehash of "Sheldon is a meanie and poor victim Howard". But it wasn't. As we know from Season 7, Howard was the instigator of the "adversarial" relationship he and Sheldon have. He wasn't upset at the "revenge" from Sheldon and Amy. Plus the joy the outsiders got from the impersonations, it has always been clear that all of them "give it" to each other. (Though some people like to think Sheldon is the only one who does this). I did like that Sheldon wasn't really mad about the impersonation but the realization  that his friends have been making fun of him all this time.  And by the end, even though Bernie had zero legs to stand on, Sheldon was willing to go and smooth things over with her just because his friend Howard asked him to. Yes indeed, "Let the Wookie win".

Lastly, I really liked the "couple support" you saw in this episode.  Even from Raj and his lady.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Mystery said:

I feel like Amy took a giant step back in this episode. I can't believe that she, who's been pushing Sheldon to be a more mature person, wouldn't have made him go confront Howard himself. She was terrible. I also think that Howard and Bernadette shouldn't have cared about being imitated. They haven't shown that they really care about the opinions of Amy and Sheldon. 

Too bad Sheldon didn't realize that his friends *do* think he's an annoying nutjob. 

I actually thought that Howard was fine with it. He flat out said that it wasn't anything different then what he had done to Sheldon. His asking for an apology was because Bernadette was so upset and he was trying to appease her.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

I thought this episode was hilarious.

Yeah!  Me too - most I've laughed in a long time.  I can't get worked up about who insulted who, it's a sitcom.  To me it's supposed to go for the broadest brush and really just about nothing that sitcom characters say or do would fly in real life.  What I really want to see now are the out takes from this - right from the beginning in the hallway when Sheldon complimented Howard's hair it looked like they were barely holding back smiles especially Jim.  

Also I loved the end; Sheldon using Amy to get out of watching Halloween - ironically I've never seen Halloween and watched the first hour last night but turned it off not because I was scared (yet) but because BBT was on. That little coincidence might have made the gag funnier to me.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Zoe said:

There seems to be a pattern this season of Sheldon acting like early Sheldon and then coming to an epiphany (somewhat) about his behavior.

Leonard/Penny (would it have been creepy for her to dress as IG Penny?) and Raj/Anu we're both cute in this episode.

Penny really should have dressed up as Penny from Inspector Gadget. Not creepy. Just one Halloween night. 

Simon/Howard was brilliant as Sheldon!

Way too much watermelon-coveting. 

• Love 4

I thought it was funny and I laughed a few....it's a sitcom and that is a good thing...right?

However the Bernie impersonation crossed a line for me once it got to the body stuff-voice, ok, but the busting out top crossed some line for me and made the scene uncomfortable..which is not a good thing for a sitcom...right? You can get away with it when it is broad and over the top, but not when it gets "precise".

I like Lenny so I enjoy those tender little moments that remind you that she actually cares about him and the relationship.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

This happened on Everybody Loves Raymond and, surprisingly, the parents were good natured and laughed off being imitated. 

And Ray and Debra were very upset.  Good catch!  This was similar and I think it's  a good reflection on human nature - and was commented on in the show last night, some people can dish it out but they can't take it.  I guess it comes down to how secure in yourself that you are.  It was interesting that Howard could be annoyed but shrug it off as being a turnabout is fair play kind of thing while Bernadette was the one who took it very personally and got very upset.  I think it was a good point made that she was upset about being mocked for things she can't change (her height and her voice) but I hope the writers have decided to give her some food for thought when it comes to "saying mean things in a cute voice" (or words like that).  But they've had her explain away her meanness in the past so maybe this is just another example of that.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The funniest line to me was when Howard asked Sheldon and Amy to apologize to Bernadette: "Yes, let the Wookie win!"  Even Howard's afraid of her.   I thought that Raj & Anu were cute together.  

I really like them together too. She didn't mind that he dressed up like RBG and she even had the right costume to make them a couple. 

2 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

I actually liked where Penny and Leonard ended up this episode.  When they started out disagreeing when their first kiss happened, I was worried it was going to be another Penny and Leonard have nothing in common, they can't even agree on their first kiss SL, but Penny's explanation was great.

I thought that was real sweet. I was worried to about it. 

• Love 7

I agree with the above posters about Amy being really cruel.  Even though Bernadette made the costume, Howard wore it.  Why didn't Amy just make Sheldon a Howard costume and not mock Bernadette as well?

Amy looked like Ms. Olson from LHOTP in her Clara costume. 

• Love 4

Episode was.......ok. Some funny moments, but I do agree with the other that said Sheldon seems to have lost any growth the character had over the years. 

I remember reading that the first six episodes were already filmed before Parsons said he wasn't coming back for another season, so I'm interested if the next episode starts to reflect that, maybe we'll get some growth back

• Love 4
14 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Amy is turning into a shrewish bitch.

Amy really is getting to be less likable, isn't she?  Maybe acceptance is going to her head.

I thought Howard dressed as Sheldon looked freakishly bizarre.  His hair looked plastic, he looked like a strange little action figure.  

By the way, someone dressed as me once for Halloween, I took it as a compliment.  We were all friends anyway, and I thought it was funny.  It didn't have the same sense of ridicule that Howard, Sheldon, and Amy brought to it though.

Really liked Bernadette's Mary Poppins costume, I'd grant her first prize.

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, mammaM said:

I remember reading that the first six episodes were already filmed before Parsons said he wasn't coming back for another season, so I'm interested if the next episode starts to reflect that, maybe we'll get some growth back

They found out after the first taping.  The first batch of episodes were already written though.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Amy really is getting to be less likable, isn't she?  Maybe acceptance is going to her head.

I think they've established already that Amy goes into Mama Bear mode when she's upset on Sheldon's behalf.  She and Bernadette have already been at each others throats where their guys are concerned.  The way they both behaved in that parking space episode being one example.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 11
1 minute ago, CherryAmes said:

I think they've established already that Amy goes into Mama Bear mode when she's upset on Sheldon's behalf.  She and Bernadette have already been at each others throats where "their men" are concerned.  The way they both behaved in that parking space episode being one example.

That's certainly true.  I still think there is a trend that her character is becoming less sympathetic, however.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kanner said:

I liked this one.  I was worried when it started for both the Sheldon/Howard story line and the Penny/Leonard story line but I really like where they ended.

Regarding Penny and Leonard, I am open that I don't like them as a couple and I thought it was going to be another episode where Leonard looks desperate and Penny seems not that into their relationship. But that pay off was great (I still don't like them as a coup;e though, lol). 

Regarding Sheldon/Howard, I thought it was going to be a rehash of "Sheldon is a meanie and poor victim Howard". But it wasn't. As we know from Season 7, Howard was the instigator of the "adversarial" relationship he and Sheldon have. He wasn't upset at the "revenge" from Sheldon and Amy. Plus the joy the outsiders got from the impersonations, it has always been clear that all of them "give it" to each other. (Though some people like to think Sheldon is the only one who does this). I did like that Sheldon wasn't really mad about the impersonation but the realization  that his friends have been making fun of him all this time.  And by the end, even though Bernie had zero legs to stand on, Sheldon was willing to go and smooth things over with her just because his friend Howard asked him to. Yes indeed, "Let the Wookie win".

Lastly, I really liked the "couple support" you saw in this episode.  Even from Raj and his lady.

I agree with your entire post, especially the bolded.  I think that's why I'm able to find this episode and the show in general so funny.  It's not as one-sided as many people think - they do all bust on each other.  Plus it's exaggerated because it's a sitcom and not real life.  I'm grateful to have a show that actually manages to make me laugh out loud on many occasions.

2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Yeah!  Me too - most I've laughed in a long time.  I can't get worked up about who insulted who, it's a sitcom.  To me it's supposed to go for the broadest brush and really just about nothing that sitcom characters say or do would fly in real life.  What I really want to see now are the out takes from this - right from the beginning in the hallway when Sheldon complimented Howard's hair it looked like they were barely holding back smiles especially Jim.  

Also I loved the end; Sheldon using Amy to get out of watching Halloween - ironically I've never seen Halloween and watched the first hour last night but turned it off not because I was scared (yet) but because BBT was on. That little coincidence might have made the gag funnier to me.

Same here.  And I would love to see the out takes too.  I don't know how they kept it together in the hallway scene. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, AnnaRose said:

I agree with your entire post, especially the bolded.  I think that's why I'm able to find this episode and the show in general so funny.  It's not as one-sided as many people think - they do all bust on each other.  Plus it's exaggerated because it's a sitcom and not real life.  I'm grateful to have a show that actually manages to make me laugh out loud on many occasions.

I agree with your agreement!  And absolutely second (or third) that it's never just been Sheldon being a jerk to the others, they have all had their digs at Sheldon and at each other.  It's a sitcom.  If they weren't making "zingers" a lot of the time I'd be very surprised!  And totally am with you on being grateful for a show that makes me laugh.  This has been a long hard year for me - personally and on a bigger scale in the way the world is right now and I definitely tune into TV for shows that will make me laugh.  BBT does that for me.  So yay!

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Eataton said:

Amy didn't bother me. She was just sticking up for her husband. I still can't feel sorry for Bernadette or Sheldon. I would've been more like Stuart and chuckled at the whole thing.

Also, Mayim Bialik was hilarious! Fun to see her get to act beyond the confines of AFF.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, Zoe said:

They found out after the first taping.  The first batch of episodes were already written though.

Thank you. Same question though, I wonder if the episodes will start to reflect an end game of some sort or will they just keep with the same old shtick.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Zoe said:

I don't think Penny would have been a creepy costume. It would have worked well with Leonard's line about assuming that Penny's costume would be sexy. Penny from Inspector Gadget is not a sexy costume and would have worked well with the couples theme. 

Howard as Sheldon was fantastic and the highlight of the episode. A close second is Amy as Bernadette. I hated when Amy and Bernadette talked about what happened. It felt like mothers intervening in a dispute their sons were having. It just felt a little icky. 

• Love 7
Just now, Sarah 103 said:

I don't think Penny would have been a creepy costume. It would have worked well with Leonard's line about assuming that Penny's costume would be sexy. Penny from Inspector Gadget is not a sexy costume and would have worked well with the couples theme. 

I'd forgotten about this exchange between Leonard and Penny.  Full marks to Penny for growing up and  saying this is not acceptable!  Early seasons Penny would not have cared that woman's costumes are so often twisted to be sexy.  

• Love 1

I laughed when Bernie said that her brothers once made her inhale helium, and that she tried to cry for help but the only one who could hear her was the dog. But . . . I could have sworn there was an earlier joke where she actually did inhale helium, and her voice didn't change at all.

• Love 5